El of a Thing
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2010 by Ol'Mac

WEDNESDAY 7:15 A. M.
Portal to Elfrealm Lake's Edge, Grant Park, Chicago, IL

Rick was still a tiny bit pissed at Daland, but figured the least he could do was take a look at the finished stone, as he'd agreed to do on their private comm chat. He was at the Portal to Elfrealm Lake's Edge in Grant Park and after completing the transition, he was met by a deeply bowing Daland saying, "Greetings, My Lord. Thank you for coming and allow me to extend my most heartfelt apology once again for causing you any distress.'

"Oh heck, Daland. I think it was just the surprise factor that got to me. Next time just ask before you pull a bomb out of your hat." Rick replied with a grin.

"I will, My Lord," was the response. "My Lord, if you would care to sit I will show you the fruit of our labors." This said while two sturdy chairs and a white work table appeared.

When they were seated. Daland pulled a small 'treasure chest' from a pocket. It even had a tiny padlock on it. Rick was about to throw a 'Treasure Island' quip out, when Daland produced a small key and opened the chest. The sight of the magnificent stone inside smothered any off the cuff remark Rick was about to make, and he just sat in spellbound wonder. Finally breathing out, "Oh My God, it's gorgeous, Daland."

"My thanks, My Lord. I am pleased you like it. Would you care for a ring mount for the stone?" Daland queried.

"Certainly. How long will it take to complete and how much will it cost?" Rick asked.

"To answer the first part of your question. Immediately. This has always been one of my favorite designs." Daland said.

When Rick again glanced at the stone. It was to find in nestled in a mounting that combined a perfect blend of Art Deco and Art Nouveau styles. It was so exquisite that Rick decided to look at no others. "Unbelievable, it's absolutely perfect, Daland," Rick whispered.

"As for the second part of your question. I fear I don't understand the import." Stated Daland.

"Well, no one does anything for free. So, how much do I owe you for this?" Rick said, while shaking himself from his trance...

Seeing shock on the face a Dwarf was surprising enough. But, when Daland found his wits Rick was in for one of the rudest awakenings in his entire life.

Daland started with, "My Lord. Allow me to speak freely for a moment. I fear I must be blunt here."

'The very idea of one of our Folk, expecting payment from a Guardian, for anything. Just doesn't bear thinking about. You four and possibly the little one growing in Sarah Olson's womb are the only Guardians my folk are aware of in the entire five worlds. If you were to live a hundred human life spans, you could never ask enough of our folk to balance the scales. You see My Lord, we know who you are, even if you do not. You still think of yourself as just another human, but this could not be farther from the truth. Please forgive the blunt speech, My Lord. But these things needed saying."

Rick, feeling more humbled than he could ever remember, said, "Daland, please accept my thanks for this gift from your hearts."

"My Lord, you are more welcome than I could ever convey." Was the reply. Then with an eye twinkle, "But if you could pass on whether this does trigger Mage Talent in your lady. That would certainly be appreciated."

As Rick stepped back into Grant Park. He knew in his heart that his world view had just undergone another fundamental change. 'Guess the shocks never do end.' He thought.

He then placed a call to Alice, checking if she were free for dinner and arranging to pick her up at seven P. M.


TUESDAY 8:45 A. M.
Oldham Consulting, West Brook, IL

The first field reports were starting to come in. So far they were all negative. But Lawrence Oldham had learned patience over the years. As the reports were delivered, he advised his teams to continue with their assigned schedules. 'We'll find it eventually.' He thought.


TUESDAY 9:37 A. M.
Fox River Run, Aurora, IL

The council had finally traced Mitchell back to his residence. The twelve gathered around this beacon of hope for their survival. Then they set to work guiding Mitchell's thoughts in the correct patterns. In about a half hour they had dropped enough data points for one of Mitchell's famous 'hunches' to form. Acting on this, he placed a call to Oldham and informed him of the new search parameters.

Oldham then contacted his field teams. Updating them that they were now looking for anyone habitually hanging around the area of Wabash and E. Van Buren, besides people that actually worked in the area.


TUESDAY 10:31 A. M.
News Stand at Wabash and Van Buren, Chicago, IL

Mike contacted Ella by Mage comm and asked if she was out on morning class break yet. The answer coming back was that it would be another three to five minutes.

At this Mike sent, 'OK kid, yell at me in five. We need to go over the 'Demon Busters' final designs.'

'You got it Pops.' The answer came back, along with the image of a tongue sticking out, 'Talk with you in five.'

Chuckling, Mike thought, 'Well that's sure a far cry from the abused and terrified little orphan we found.'

Five minutes later Ella was back on line. 'So, what's up doc?'

'We need to decide on whether to have bows or hearts on the bomb casings. I was thinking that a little banner with 'When you Care Enough, to Send The Very Best' might be a nice touch too.'

'Seriously though, I'm pretty darn sure we have the exposure radius to where we'll get maximum coverage. I really want to get all these bugs at one shot, '

'Well, we're putting one on each cardinal point in a globe pattern, plus 'Big Mama' in the center, and with the tenth of a second delay on 'Big Mama', I'd think our coverage overlap should be in the range of 50 percent or better. You did say these bugs never travel away from the nest, except on orders from the head honcho. So, we shouldn't have any wandering stragglers to deal with. It looks like simplicity itself as far as I can tell.' Came Ella's response.

'Yeah, I know.' Mike replied, 'I just want to make certain. If I didn't think there would be an earthquake danger in our world I'd double up on the bomb load. I don't want even a cockroach to survive this event.'

'Wow. That sounds like a severe grudge, boss.' Ella responded.

Sighing Mike returned, 'No Dear, I'm not pissed at these things. I'm just tired of butting heads with these bugs. I've literally been 'on guard' for fourteen years now ... and Elnore has been keeping a lid on these pieces of garbage for so many centuries, he's lost count. Plus there is no way to change their nature. It's just time to end the problem at the source.'

'OK, I do get the point. Besides, I'm still 'the new guy'.' Ella returned, and then changed gears to, 'Mike, I need some advice. I've run head on into an abused child using rage as her first layer of defense. I can change her outlook, but how do I heal her soul?'

Mike's chuckle came back, 'The same way I did to yours, Dear One. Expose her to love.' Continuing with, 'Which reminds me, squirt. I think it's high time you quit fooling around with Al and Sarah. Don't you? You're as completely healed as you're going to get and they need a rest from the fever pitched 'Honeymoon' you've had them on. Just tone it back gradually so they don't start thinking something has gone sour with their relationship. Besides, you now have responsibility for the 'Mage In The Oven'. Miscarriage by overindulgence, is not an option.'

'What? You knew? MIKE!!' Came the outraged teen response.

When Mike's laughter scaled back a bit, he sent, 'Who do you think set that whole thing up for you, Dear? Santa, or The Easter Bunny? Besides, it worked like a charm didn't it?'

The exasperation and laughter bubbling up from Ella's soul was the only response for a few seconds, then came, 'Yeah it did. You, busybody. '

'Just keep today's theme song in mind then, 'Whistle, While You Work', ' came Mike's parting thought.


TUESDAY 1:32 P. M.
Area of Wabash and Van Buren, Chicago, IL

Teams one through seven were in place. The coverage they had on this area assured them that a mouse would not go undetected. They had already run preliminary scans. Locking in the 'Regulars' in the surveillance zone. All the other eight teams were in mobile units collecting license plate numbers and any other relevant data. The wait had begun.


TUESDAY 6:59 P. M.
1157 W. Diversey, Unit 9-C, Alice Latham's Apartment, Chicago, IL

Rick was still a bit nervous as he walked up to Alice's door. But the moment it opened and there stood his lady, it all evaporated into mist. Besides, he had the secret weapon in his pocket.

"Hi gorgeous. Wow, you look super. I've got us reservations at Gino's for seven thirty. Oh, and don't forget your coat. I wanted to show you a special spot at Grant Park afterward." Rick said while giving Alice a 'cheek nuzzle'.

"Way ahead of you Love." Alice replied with a laugh, while reaching for the coat rack.

Rick slapped himself on the side of the head, saying, "Duh, I keep forgetting how smart you really are. Come on Love, let's scoot."

As they walked into Gino's, they were met by 'Mama'. She had been a fixture here for as long as Rick could remember. "Ah, Mr. Fields and Miss. Latham. Welcome to our home. I have your table ready if you will just follow me."

She then led them to a secluded alcove. Wishing them good appetite.

The courses flowed one after another and before they knew it, they were looking at each other over dessert coffee. Rick then changed both their worlds by asking, "Alice, will you make me the happiest human on the planet, by marrying me?" While pulling the treasure chest from his pocket and opening it for her.

The hand flew to the mouth and the head nodded a 'simple yes'. Making Rick's world complete.

What followed was one of the sweetest kisses he could ever remember.

At Rick's head nod, Mama and half the wait staff, burst in with the celebration Champagne, while one of the crew played 'I Could Have Danced All Night' on a violin. A half hour later the well wishers had made their rounds and as Rick settled the bill, he leaned across the counter to give Mama a soft cheek kiss. While whispering in her ear, "Perfecto and Grazi Mama." The happy couple then took off for Grant Park and even a Chicago February didn't have a prayer of chilling these two.

As they neared the portal walking hand in hand Rick key it and asked if Alice could see anything.

She responded that she was seeing 'heat shimmer' and wondered what that could be.

Rick answered with a suggestion that they check it out, and so saying, he led her through the portal.

A Chicago February disappeared into thin air, being replaced by rolling hills of Emerald green grass and Beech tree groves. Alice's gasp of shock was also matched by almost crushing Rick's hand.

"Oh My GOD! Where are we Rick?" Alice nearly screamed.

Rick, with a smile glowing from his face said, "Welcome to the other half of my life, Dearest One."

"What? You live in OZ half the time?" Alice responded.

"No, Dear. OZ was a fantasy place. This is Elfrealm Lake's Edge and is about as real as it gets. Prince Elnore should be here in the next few minutes to welcome you and I am ... so proud of you," Rick returned.

"What? Prince, who? Proud of me, why are you proud of me? What could I possibly have done?" Came the barrage.

"Honey, think this through. How many people inhabit the Earth now? Six, maybe close to Seven Billion? After her nod, he stated, "I know of only five people on the face of the Earth, that are aware of this place or can even see it at all. You make the fifth. By the way, you might want to get used to being called, My Lady. It's going to happen a lot from now on. I knew you were special, I just didn't know how special."

Another "Oh My God!" squeal escaped from Alice. "You are serious, aren't you?"

"Very much so." Came the short reply. "Would you like to sit for a little while?" This said, while he made a comfortable love seat for them.

"You, didn't ... just do that? Did you?" Alice just about squeaked out.

"Sure did Dear, but are you ready for the best part? Soon you will be able to do this too. Come on Love, let's sit for a while to let this all sink in."

Once they had been seated for a few minutes with Alice still clutching Rick's hand and resting her head on his shoulder. Rick turned his head and asked, "My Dear, could you do something for me?"

Alice with her head still on his shoulder whispered, "I'll try Love, but right now I feel like a bowl of Jello."

"That's my girl, 'Unsinkable Molly Brown' had nothing on you. Now what I'd like you to do is concentrate on my hand. In a few seconds I'm going to create us a little snack and bring it straight to my hand. When you feel like you can't concentrate any harder then close your eyes without losing that focus. Can you do that, Love?" Rick asked.

"I'll try." Followed by an intense look crossing her face and then closed eyes along with a single head nod.

A second after the plate of 'Bolo De Sol' pastries appeared. Rick was looking into two very startled eyes, and heard the whispered, "Rainbows?"

Planting a kiss on her cheek, Rick whispered back, "Yes Love, Rainbows."

They had just finished snacking when they heard hoof beats and then caught sight of a solid white Arabian cresting the nearby hill. Riding it, was what looked like a knight in silver armor with flowing golden hair streaming behind. They rose to greet him as he dismounted.

Bowing, Rick said, "Greetings, My Lord, allow me to present my bride to be, Alice Latham."

"Honored, My Lady, Elfrealm Lake's Edge shall never be closed to you." Responded Elnore while bowing over her hand and bestowing a butterfly wing kiss. "Might I be so bold as to see the token of betrothal?" He asked.

Holding her hand up. Alice displayed the ring so recently put there.

"Marvelous. Daland has out done even himself this time." Elnore murmured. Hooking a thumb at Rick. He asked Alice, "Has this one explained what you wear?" Getting the 'no' head shake. He said, "You wear - as a betrothal ring - one of only a handful of True Red Diamonds on the face of the Earth. It is in all probability the most expensive ring ever created."

At this Alice gasped again with big eyes getting even bigger. "What?" Came the whisper.

Elnore answered her with, "I shall let your future husband be the one to drop the other shoe concerning its origin. In the meantime, may I offer you two small tokens in celebration of your upcoming marriage?"

As the head nodded again he continued, "This, My Lady, is called 'Flaran' in the Elven tongue." He said, while producing the most gorgeous flowering plant Alice had ever seen, with a scent that was a heavenly mix of: Rose, Lilac, Jasmine, Ginger and something Alice couldn't quite define. "One whiff of this flower at the end a stressful day, will simply make the stress disappear. Even as it's doing now." Said Elnore with a chuckle.

That was when it dawned on Alice that the shocks of the last few minutes were beginning to dissipate. She was with people that loved her and whom she loved back. That was all that truly mattered.

"One more gift, My Lady, with your permission, of course." Said, while lightly touching her right temple with a finger tip.

'Now speak to your future husband with your mind.' Elnore sent.

'Rick?' Alice thought.

'Right here, Love. Welcome aboard, My Dearest One.' Rick sent back.

On their return to Grant Park, Rick said, "Honey, if you ever need to return to Lake's Edge. Just come to this spot, and think, 'A Friend of Elfrealm Lake's Edge, Draws near'. The portal will appear and you can then cross over." He then said, "By the way, would you like to meet another one of the five tonight? It's only eight thirty and I'd bet he's still working the stand."

Alice pondered this for a moment. Then nodded yes, saying, "I might as well get all the shocks out of the way while I have this 'Flaran' in hand. I'll just use it like smelling salts if needed."

Rick then placed a Mage comm to Mike to make sure he was there and let him know they were coming.


TUESDAY 8:35 P. M.

News Stand at Wabash and Van Buren, Chicago, IL

Five minutes after Rick's call he and Alice pulled into the curb at the news stand.

Mike ran out to the car and hustled them into Angelo's back room, saying, "No sense freezing our butts off out there. Then called out, "Hey Angelo. Guess who's getting married?"

"What!!!" A male and female pair chorused from the break room. Followed by the appearance of Angelo and Margarethe. "Hombre!" Angelo shouted out, with a huge grin. While Margarehte just beamed that secret married woman's contentment. Angelo then turned to her and whispered, "Mi corazone, café por favor."

As Margarethe headed for the coffee maker, she turned to Rick and said, "Hey Hombre, why don't you call in the Muchacha Bebe. Is a poco fiesta, no?"

Rick turned to Alice and said, "Hang onto the flowers dear we have at least one more shock to go." Then sent a mental call to Puff. 'Party at Angelo's, kid.'

The answering, 'Wheeee ... party!!' didn't quite get done echoing in everyone's heads before the scratch at the back door sounded.

Mike had already strolled over to the door and opened up at the scratch. Then stood back as the thirty-inch tall by twelve-foot long blue missile zoomed to the center of the room while broadcasting, 'Hi folks, how's everyone?' Then catching sight of Alice she came skidding to a halt, and sent, 'Mom?'

Alice's response was the epitome of eloquence, "What?" While looking at Rick.

"Sorry, Dear. Perhaps some introductions are in order here." Rick replied. Then began with, "That younger fellow walking back from the door, is Mike. Yes, he's one of us. These fine folks are Angelo and Margarethe Catrella. They are not 'officially' part of the group, but with what they know, they might as well be. This fine strapping young lady Dragon is Puff. She's also my adopted Daughter which now makes her your step daughter. That's why you got the 'Mom' tag tossed at you. Did any of that make sense?"

"Not really, Love, but that's OK. It doesn't have to right now. All I know is that I love you and so do they. For now, that's good enough for me." Replied Alice.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.