El of a Thing
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2010 by Ol'Mac

MONDAY 11:47 A. M.
Oldham Consulting, West Brook, IL

Lawrence Oldham was a complete professional. When a client asked for anything he would deliver or refund their cost if he could not. His world was very simple. Things either were, or were not, there was no in between.

After receiving Mitchell's call he contacted his fifteen teams and laid out the search parameters. He also laid out the grids they were to work. Team one to grid one, team two to grid two, etc. Things were never complicated in Lawrence Oldham's world.


MONDAY 12:03 P. M.
Office of Henry Donaldson, City Hall, Chicago, IL

Alice was on the verge of concern, when the office door finally opened and Rick strolled in.

"Hi gorgeous." He quipped, "Sorry for the late arrival. That last interview went a bit over, then Stan and I managed to get stuck in traffic." All this said while he crossed the office and gave a 'cheek peck' in penance.

"That's all right, Love. I only got a tad concerned. By the way, I've got a little 'Meet the Parents' type surprise for you," Alice tossed back, while depressing her intercom key. " Mr. Donaldson. Detective Fields is here sir."

"Wonderful, Alice. Send him right in." Henry's voice replied.

Alice answered Rick's raised eyebrow with a low throaty chuckle and a smile, saying, "Don't worry dear, he won't take much of your back end off. He's in a really good mood today."

As Rick entered Donaldson's office, Henry rose and met him halfway in front of the desk. "Detective Fields. What a pleasure to finally meet you. Come on in and have a seat son." The handshake was warm and firm. Henry continued once they were seated with, "Just wanted to have a little chat with you about Alice. She's been with me for almost nine years and I feel more like her 'Father', than her 'Boss'. Guess the only question I need answered is, 'What are your intentions toward my girl'?" While the twinkle in Henry's eye moderated the tone of the question.

Rick grinned back, and said, "Well, I'd have to say 'Honorable' Sir, or should I just call you 'Dad'? OK, seriously? I'm intending to ask her, if she'll have me that is. If not, well, I guess I'll just go find the most convenient rock to crawl under. You do know this will be my second trip around the May Pole. So I don't feel like I'm going in with closed eyes. I truly can see making a life with her."

"Wonderful." Henry said. "Son, you have no idea how much that reply eased the strain on this old reprobate's heart. More than anything in this world, I want her to have a happy life ... and you sound like just the ticket. Maybe we could even whip up a bridal shower and bachelor party. That would be more fun than we've seen around this mausoleum in ages."

"Sounds like a ball, Sir. But, let's see if I can get a ring on that finger first." Rick replied with a grin.

The handshake was again firm and warm. With twinkling eyes and a beaming smile, Henry said, "That's something I can truly admire. A man that doesn't start counting chickens before the eggs are even rocking. I can see why you and your partner made detective first so quickly."

Opening the door, Henry escorted Rick into the outer office, then addressed Alice with a smile plastered across his face, "You certainly have my approval young lady. I think he just might be one of the 'good guys'. Take some extra time for lunch today kids, I can surely hold the fort for a couple of hours alone."

Alice beamed back, "Why, thank you Mr. Donaldson. That's just so sweet."

Rick added with a grin, "Very much appreciated Sir, promise I'll have her back before curfew. Scouts Honor," said, while holding the first three fingers of his right hand up at shoulder level.

Donaldson's booming laugh echoed down the hall, "Go on you delinquent, get your lady to lunch. Two hours kids and not a minute sooner. Now scoot!"

As he closed the door, Donaldson caught Alice's whispered, "You must have impressed the heck out of him, Love. He never lets his hair down that quickly with anyone."


MONDAY 12:32 P. M.
Walter Payton High School, Chicago, IL

In one of those strange twists of logic - which are only understood by district school boards - Ella was attending classes at Walter Payton High. Since this was about thirty blocks from Al and Sarah's home, it raised some real issues with Sarah. When she had attempted to find out why this was. The flood of 'Gobble-de-Gook' that came slamming back as an answer, had her cringing in fear for the education level her adopted daughter was being exposed to. Ella just shrugged her shoulders and adopted a 'grin and bear it' attitude. While carrying a four-point-zero grade point average.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.