Rob Jenkins Part Two
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2010 by rougher63

Friday at one, Grandfather, Carolyn, and I flew to Martha's Vineyard. Herm, the electronics engineer friend of Will's, had done some non-standard "tuning" of my radar, so that it could pick out targets at sea or aloft. With the afternoon fog around the Vineyard, he thought it might come in handy. I knew with my lack of flying experience, I needed all the help I could get. On the way, Carolyn told us that that Saturday was the anniversary of her husband's death.

I said, "We'll give you as much time alone as you want. The smallest cabin, the one Grandmother Joseph stayed in when she visited us after Grandfather Joseph died, has a really nice ocean view and patio. You could stay there and join us whenever you want."

"Thanks, that sounds perfect."

Francie, our summer caretaker, took food over and they talked briefly, but I didn't bother Carolyn. She mostly sat out and walked along the shore on Friday. Francie invited Carolyn to go sailing with us on Saturday.

I hit a couple of buckets golf balls at the practice range Saturday morning. Francie, Grandfather, Carolyn and I sailed to Nantucket Saturday afternoon, where we left Carolyn. She stayed over; her parents had decided to come to Nantucket on Sunday for two weeks.

Grandfather and I ate seafood and he turned in early. I stayed with Francie until midnight. I liked Francie. After a year teaching kindergarten, she was ready for some good sweaty sex and we were good together. Francie's family was invited to stay when we weren't going to be there. She had a younger brother and sister who liked to sail. If she wanted to have non-family stay at the compound, she only had to ask. She had a couple of times and it was never a problem.

Grandfather and I flew back Sunday afternoon. Grandfather said, "Carolyn's a nice woman. It's a shame she lost her husband."

"I know."

He asked, "Are you going to take another class at Juilliard?"

"There aren't any more jazz classes I can take during the second summer session. I don't think I'd want to take anything else."

"Good, you need to take a break."

Beau went clubbing during the week and to the Hamptons on the weekends. I went out with him once or twice during the week and to most Saturday night parties, but only if Grandfather and I weren't planning something at the Vineyard. Most Friday nights I did something with Heather, Jules, or a Juilliard group. Mondays I went to the seminar and Thursday night I went to Carrie's. Jules and I went to some rehearsals at Lincoln Center. We saw the opera, ballet and symphony. Heather and I went to a couple of Broadway shows and a few Actors Studio presentations.

Will had been right about the easy availability of women on the Hamptons; Beau and I always picked up and had overnight guests whenever we went to a party on the Hamptons. But I enjoyed Broadway and Off Broadway theatre, art exhibits and clubs in Harlem more than going with Beau to the 'in' night spots or Hamptons parties. I wasn't a monk. I kept Karen's furnished apartment near Juilliard, where I hooked up with Heather and Jules; and Beau and I shared the use of an apartment in the Village. Beau and I even hooked up with a couple of dancers in the apartment in the Village. Beau had a steady stream of models and showgirls through the Village apartment.

I liked trust activities better than M&A, although I spent Monday mornings with Will and Beau listening to the M&A activity reports from the banks' M & A managers. Beau and I talked about M&A also. Because of the 'Chinese Wall' between investing activities and M&A, I couldn't advise trust clients. Beau worked almost exclusively with M&A on the W &R bank side. W&R handled smaller clients and was more entrepreneurial than Jenkins; and therefore working with the W&R people was better training for Beau with respect to what he could probably do in Mississippi with Lauderdale's bank.

Fritz called and suggested I talk with station owner immediately. I sent one of the Jenkins people to close the deal. I paid cash for the license and got signed transfer papers. It was a clean deal and FCC approval was assured. Fritz took over immediately as station manager. He arranged with Harris for the latest stereo broadcasting equipment. Some of our people looked for a location in Manhattan to optimize signal coverage.

Grandfather had me reviewing the trust accounts and their investment activities for improper account activity. It was boring, but I learned about portfolio management and investment strategy from examining account transactions. I was glad I had the jazz seminar, guitar lessons and time with Grandfather. Fritz was far more excited about the radio station was than I was.

Karen was never far from my mind. The Miss Alabama Pageant was at the new Samford University. I sent flowers for Karen, who was in the pageant. My message was, "They would be very fortunate to have you as Miss Alabama; break a leg." I coveted a relationship with her.

Karen called Thursday night. She was very excited. "I won the talent and evening gown segments for the first night's group. Saturday, I'll be in the finals."

Friday night's group winner in the talent and swimsuit was a baton twirler, who had just graduated from Banks High School. I flew from the Vineyard to Birmingham for the Saturday night finals. I saw Karen's parents before the contest, but didn't see Karen. Karen's parents invited me to join them after the contest and see Karen. The only other person, I knew at the pageant, was an older DKE alumnus, whose wife was involved in running the pageant.

The pageant finals seemed to take forever. Karen played well and looked regal. I thought she was a lock to win. I was stunned when the Karen's name was called as first runner up. The baton twirler won.

I slipped out and went to my fraternity brother. "I don't understand. I thought Karen Kell was much better."

He told me. "Look; most of what Miss Alabama does is small town public relations events like farm shows, supermarket openings, meetings, and county fairs. My guess is that the judges thought Karen wouldn't be good at that. That's not what they would say, but that's my guess."

I went to Karen's parents. Her mother said, "Karen's going to be devastated."

Her father said, "How could they pick that girl over Karen?"

I didn't say what my fraternity brother had told me. I said, "Karen played well. I know she's going to be disappointed. Should I leave?"

Her mother said, "She'll be glad you're here. You can help us take her things, from the dorm where they stayed, to the car. I'm sure she will appreciate the company."

Karen put on a good face around the other contestants, but I could tell she was really disappointed. We loaded her things in her car. She stood with me for a moment.

"I'm sorry you came all this way to see me lose." She was near tears.

"I came to see you; I hoped you would win because you wanted to win. You played and did well. I was proud of you."

"Thanks, but to lose to a baton twirler who talent was bouncing around the stage to faux patriotic music is too much. I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm going to take a break from school for a while; I know I'm not going on in music."

"I'm really sorry."

"I played well and still lost to that. I thought I had it won. This was my last time at the pageant. I'm going to look for a job. I worked one summer at Loveman's selling clothes in the collegiate women's section. I'm going back and see if I can get a job there. I don't want to be pawed at as somebody's secretary and I know about what happens in clubs. I already knew I wasn't a concert pianist."

"What would you change your major to?"

"I have no idea."

"May I make a suggestion?"

"Why not?" she said snippily. "I'm sorry. I know you mean well. What do you suggest?"

"When I was wounded and then classified as one hundred percent disabled, they gave me a career test, the Strong Vocational Interest Battery, during out processing. It matches your traits and with the traits of people who love their jobs. The results gave me something to think about. They give it at most college counseling centers. I recommend it."

Karen asked, "How did your results come out?"

"My three highest were lawyer, hospital administrator, and artist. It helped me decide that I wanted to go to law school. Will you take it and call me to tell me what yours were?"

"Not banker, I thought you were studying to be a banker?"

"Neither banker nor forester or anything agricultural were high. It doesn't matter what your major is to get into law school. Learning to write well is the most important thing."

Her parents were ready for her to go. She said, "I'll think about taking the test. Thanks for coming."

I nodded.

"I really mean it. You've helped me in a lot of ways and I appreciate it. Thank you." She kissed my cheek.

I said, "Call me and we can talk."

I knew I was too upset to sleep. I thought about going to Tuscaloosa, where a couple of women in my house would welcome me, but I didn't think it was fair to either of them. I decided to fly back to Long Island. I set a warning alarm in case I went to sleep.

I was wheels up at midnight and engaged the autopilot as soon as I got to altitude. I was fine until I was over Baltimore, where I got sleepy, but I didn't have a major problem staying awake in the airlane to New York. At five, I landed at Macarthur, took a shower in the pilot's lounge and napped for two hours until I could get the plane fueled. Then I flew on to Martha's Vineyard and ate a late breakfast with Grandfather. He saw I was upset and suggested we stay over Sunday night. We took the boat out Sunday afternoon. Sunday night I spent time with Francie and felt better Monday morning. Grandfather and I flew back midmorning. Grandfather went into the office Monday afternoon and I went to Juilliard. I had left a message with Heather that I wouldn't be in before class.

Grandfather and I had talked about Karen on the flight back. He suggested I help her, but not get involved. I called Dorothy and she told me her doctor had said it would be a week or two weeks until she delivered. She was miserable in the Alabama heat.

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"No, Ania is a big help. I appreciate the cleaning help from the women housekeepers at Deke, who you sent over. They make a big difference."

"Would it be alright if I came?"

Dorothy surprised me, "I'd like that very much." I heard a lot of emotion in her voice. "It'd mean a lot to me for you to be here."

"I'm thinking about you. I'll come as soon as you call. Give me a little notice; I want to be there."

Monday night, I told Beau I wasn't going out, but we didn't talk about Karen. Grandfather and I planned to eat lunch and dinner together all week. I told him I would be leaving when Dorothy went into the hospital.

Wednesday evening Karen called. "I went to Birmingham Southern. I saw Mrs. Parker at the counseling center. She was excellent and very nice. We talked about a lot of things including the test results. I'm not sure what to do."

I waited.

"I only had three really elevated matches; journalism, musician, and artist. I was very low in being a music teacher and low in real estate and banking. Lawyer was in the next to the bottom group. I might like to be an artist, but I have no talent. We know about musician."

I said, "I didn't know you were interested in journalism."

Karen said, "I was a speech major at Auburn. When I transferred to Alabama, I changed to music."

"And what did Mrs. Parker suggest?"

"She recommended I consider something that combined music, art, and journalism."

"I could help with a couple of those areas. I have a building in Fairhope where I'm going to have art and antique shops. You could have a shop there. Or if you wanted to come back to Juilliard to pursue a college teaching job, I'll help you."

"I don't think I want either of those, but I appreciate the offer."

"There are a couple of things in the works with a radio station here, but the format is country and western. Probably you could be an intern to the station manager or program director. The station is in Paterson, New Jersey, a suburb of New York City."

"I don't know."

"Karen, do you have anything better to do?"

Karen said a little bitterly, "I guess it's better than waiting for the baton twirler to break her neck, so I can wear a crown and get leered at."

I chuckled, "You're going get leered at on radio. The way you look, getting leered at is going to happen."

After a few seconds, she answered, "You have a deal. I'll try my best. How do we do it?"

"I have a few things to work out here. I'll come down for you when I come to see one of my employees who is having a baby."

I said goodbye and then called Bill Buterworth. "Bill, how's our Navy project coming along?"

"I had to make a few adjustments, but it's done."

"What adjustments?"

"In order to keep the equipment, the county commission had to agree not to sell the property and equipment for five years. The county commission agreed to lease the property to a not-for-profit for five years. Your two nonprofit organizations were given an economic development grant and leases for five years. You have an option to purchase the property after the contact expires for one dollar."

"We control both properties?"

"We can't get Barin until October first. The Navy has three months to vacate. Summerdale is available on August first."

Buterworth said, "Mr. Newell, the warrant officer I recommended is very interested. Do you want to talk with him?"

"I'll be in Tuscaloosa next week. Can you set something up? I can fly down and see him."

"Plan to fly into Ozark, near Fort Rucker, and we can take him over to Barin Field. We have a lot to talk over."

I went to class at Juilliard. The short term class ended in a week. I hated to see it end. I talked with Fritz when I had my lesson. I told him about Karen.

On Tuesday, Dorothy called. "I'm at the doctor's. He said soon; within a day or two."

"I'm on my way." I was more than a little nervous.

I called Ania and left immediately for Macarthur. I was wheels up before noon. I hit afternoon thunderstorms near Chattanooga. I landed in Tuscaloosa around six.

Aria picked me up at the airport. She looked good as she walked to the plane.

I said, "You look good. Let me take care of the plane and we can go."

I pulled the emergency travel bag that I kept in the luggage area and we walked to her Camero.

Ania said, "Dorothy's hasn't gone yet. It should be any time. She's going to be glad to see you."

"Is something wrong?"

"No, she's doing well and so is Fred. She's glad you wanted to come."

"How's your summer been?"

"It took a little while for Dorothy to get comfortable with me. After she did, we've gotten along great. Angie's nice too. Have you eaten?"

I said, "No, I came nonstop."

"Good, we've fixed a special dinner for you. You better call Dorothy and tell her you're here."

I called and Fred answered.

"I just came in. I'm at the airfield. Ania's here to take me to the house. I just wanted you and Dorothy to know I'm here."

"She's resting. Do you want me to get her?"

"Don't bother her. Let her rest."

Fred said, "I'll call you when we go to the hospital."

"Thanks"

Ania drove us home. I opened the breezeway door and smelled sweet and sour pork cooking in the steamer.

"Yum, yum"

"Angie's will be here in about forty-five minutes." She took my hand and we walked to the bedroom.

We undressed quickly. Ania said, "Hurry, please."

I kissed her. She said, "I'm ready."

I ignored her pleas and went down on her. She was hot. I barely started when she grabbed my head and had an orgasm. She said, "It's been a long time."

With the edge off, we took our time and enjoyed being together.

She asked, "I'm glad you're back. How long are you going to stay?"

"Until the sweet and sour is cooked."

"Silly, you know what I meant."

I replied, "I have a final in a class Monday."

When I kissed her, she said, "Save that thought. After supper, you need to visit with Angie for a while."

We took a shower together and got dressed.

We waited for Angie. When she came in, I kissed her. "Lookin' good."

"You too. You haven't eaten."

"We waited for you to eat."

She asked, "Thanks, how's your summer been?"

"Beau and I have enjoyed New York City. I'm taking a class at Juilliard and I go to the theater and concerts a lot. Grandfather and I go up to Martha' Vineyard about every other weekend. It's been a very active summer. How's school?"

"I've enjoyed my classes. I'm taking classes to be an art therapist. The classes count toward teacher certification and I have other job opportunities too."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.