Thursday's Child
Chapter 29

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Having made up his mind Garry went into action. He found out from Steven which shop he had bought Becca's engagement ring from and then caught an early bus the next morning into the city. He found the shop without trouble. Choosing the ring was less easy and took him a long time. In the end he chose a sapphire in a diamond cluster. He made absolutely sure that if Polly did not like it they could exchange it. He caught another bus to the United ground and was just in time for the start of training.

That was Friday. There was a match on Saturday which Polly and Steven would be watching. Afterwards Polly was coming home for dinner. He would take her into the garden while Becca was cooking and Steven was in the kitchen with her and propose. He stopped off on the way home and bought a bottle of champagne which he hid at the back of the fridge.

Garry played well on Saturday without excelling himself. As usual there were drinks after the game with the opposing team to which family were invited. None of the four particularly enjoyed these functions but Garry felt duty bound to attend so the others went along. If he had had his own car things might have been different. He never had more than half a pint. That was all Steven ever had too. Polly sipped orange squash making one last the entire time.

Garry's planning came to grief. As they arrived home it started to rain. It was prolonged rain and heavy. They all went into the sitting room. Becca brought Edward in for a final play before bed. Garry chafed as the others all chatted happily. Polly noticed his silence and worried. She hoped so much that this was not further evidence that his interest in her was declining.

At half past six Becca said she was going to start preparing dinner. Polly offered to help but was smilingly turned down. Steven followed Becca out taking Edward to bed. Garry grabbed his chance. He turned to Polly and took her hand and then became tongue-tied.

She looked at him expectantly and then, when he still said nothing, in puzzlement.

"What's the matter, Garry love?" she asked.

"I..."

She smiled encouragingly.

"Polly, um ... Polly," and then in a rush. "Will you marry me?"

Now it was Polly's turn to be struck dumb. She gazed at him and her eyes filled with tears.

Garry misinterpreted them. He thought they were tears of sadness and that she was going to turn him down. His own eyes filled.

"Please, Polly ... Please don't turn me down."

That did it. Polly pulled her hand from his and flung her arms round his neck.

"No, Garry ... I mean yes. Yes, I will marry you. Of course I'll marry you. I thought you'd never ask and then when you did all I could do was cry with joy. Oh, Garry, my darling, yes, yes, yes!"

Garry's arms went round her and held her to him and he sobbed with relief. "Oh, Polly, I love you so much." He buried his face in her hair.

They clung to each other silently, each finding refuge in the other. At length they pulled back. They gazed at each other and then Polly smiled. Garry had never seen her look so happy and full of joy. He smiled back and they fell into each other's arms again but not for so long as last time.

Garry gently disengaged. He grinned. "I nearly forgot," he said.

He fished in his pocket and pulled out the jewellery box. He opened it and, taking out the ring, slipped it on her finger.

Polly looked at it and her eyes again filled with tears. "It's beautiful," she whispered. "Really, really beautiful. Thank you, Garry darling." She pulled his head to her and kissed him sweetly. She looked at it again and shook her head in wonder. "Beautiful," she murmured. "My sweet, darling, generous man."

Her arms went round his neck again and once again they clung to each other. Suddenly she pulled away.

"I must show it to Becca," she said. She leapt to her feet and pulled Garry to his. Her arms went round his waist and she laid her head against his chest. "I love you, Garry Brook," she said softly. "I love you with all my heart. I have done since we first started carving together. You have made me so happy. Oh, Garry darling!"

She gave him a final squeeze and grabbed his hand. "Come on," she cried and dragged him to the kitchen.

"Look!" she cried, her left hand outstretched towards Becca, the right hauling a beaming Garry behind her.

Becca took one look, dropped what she was doing and enveloped them both in her arms.

"Wonderful!" she exclaimed. "Oh, my loves!" She hugged them tightly and then kissed them both. She released them.

"Let's have a look. Oh my! That's lovely. You're a very lucky girl." She hugged and kissed Polly again. She turned to Garry.

"Well done, Garry dearest." She hugged him hard and kissed him again. "You've made me proud of you," she whispered in his ear.

Garry hugged her convulsively.

Steven had joined the group by this time. He too embraced Polly and exclaimed over her ring. He shook Garry's hand and patted him on the shoulder.

"Congratulations and well done, my boy!" he said. Then he grinned. "I suppose I'm going to be sent down to the pub to buy more expensive champagne," he said.

Garry chuckled. "No, Uncle Steven. I've beaten you to it."

He ferreted about in the back of the fridge and produced the bottle he had hidden there.

"You really are coming on," Steven teased.

Glasses were filled. "A long and loving life to you both," said Steven. Becca echoed him. They drank.

"Ugh!" exclaimed Polly. "It's gone up my nose."

Now that the deed was done Garry could not stay close enough to Polly. He would hold her hand, drop it and put an arm round her and pull her against his side. He would stroke her hair. He would kiss the top of her head. She revelled in it, looking up at him with a happy and loving smile.

When dinner was ready Becca smiled at him. "You're going to have to put her down for a while," she said.

Garry having been quite unaware of how he was behaving blushed furiously. "Sorry," he said.

"Nonsense," said Becca. "It's sweet."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.