Thursday's Child - Cover

Thursday's Child

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 25

Things settled down again after that. Garry was offered a room by Becca when he turned sixteen and accepted with gratitude and alacrity. That autumn he started to play regularly for the United 2nd XI. He and all who knew him were thrilled. He only received match fees which did not amount to much and felt he was sponging on Steven and Becca. The trouble was he had no idea what to do. Vehicle mechanics held no interest for him. Wood carving was no more than a hobby. On the other hand, carpentry was close and he ought to be able to make some money even as an apprentice. Steven found him a job with a small but locally well known firm of furniture makers where he would learn the skills of the trade rather than just running wood through machines. He enjoyed it and it helped that his boss was a United fan.

Without fail he would see Polly at least twice a week and she became a regular visitor to the Hardacre house. Whenever he was playing football the Hardacres and she attended the match.

Garry also talked to Will Barnes and as a result it was agreed that a coach would visit the children's home every Tuesday afternoon. Garry persuaded his boss to release him and so he assisted the coach. Becca and Polly were both very proud of him and told him so.

Becca did not do the Brain Bros modelling that April. Carly, Kim and Nell did though and Carly ended up with a boyfriend. He was the son of a farmer and worked for his father. He was a cheerful, stocky young man with a dry sense of humour. The fact that neither had any airs or graces was a mutual source of attraction.

That same autumn Tom, having come down from university with a good degree, managed to get himself articled to a solicitor at Dewsbury. On the strength of that he bought a small two bedroomed house on the outskirts and he and Nell were married. No bride could have been more radiant and the love and joy of the two of them rubbed off on all who attended the wedding. Nell continued as accountant for the Damsels as most of her work could be done at home even though she had to come and pay everyone on a Thursday evening. That had its advantages though as it allowed she and Tom to keep in regular touch with his parents and the Witherspoons including, of course, Kim.

Kim and Andrew Mortimer were now very much a couple. He had found a job at Frank Edwards's bank as a management trainee. He had not proposed to Kim but everyone was confident that he would. He treated her like Dresden china.

Shortly after Garry moved in Becca sat herself on Steven's knee, wound her arms round his neck and kissed him gently.

"I think the time has come, darling," she said.

"To what?"

"To start a family."

It was Steven's turn to kiss her. "Have you come off the pill," he asked.

"No, I wanted to make sure you were happy before I did."

He kissed her again. "My precious, sweet darling. That was very considerate but I wouldn't have been the least upset if you'd just gone ahead and done it."

She smiled back at him. "It makes me happier though to know we're both agreed. If I stop now I should be able to conceive from mid-June onwards and have a baby in the spring or early summer."

"You've clearly thought about this."

She nodded smiling at him. He hugged her delightedly.

It was at the end of July that Becca said to him shyly. "I've missed my period."

Steven restrained himself. "Are you sure it's not just delayed."

"Quite sure. I'm regular as clockwork and I'm a fortnight late."

Steven picked her up and whirled her round. "Oh my clever darling!" he cried.

"You've been equally clever, Mr Hardacre."

They both giggled.

Steven ticked the months off on his fingers. "April," he said.

Becca nodded.

"A birthday present for Garry," he teased.

"Grrr!"

Steven laughed and whirled her round again.

There were other not dissimilar conversations going on elsewhere.

"Tom, darling, do you want to start having children yet?"

Tom, being the cautious person he was, was not quite as romantic as he might have been.

"No, Nell darling. I'd like to have £5,000 a year coming in first." Then he smiled lovingly at her. "Anyway, I want to enjoy you on your own for a while."

Nell grinned. "Selfish man."

Tom smiled back. "Totally," he said, "but do you blame me?"

"No, darling. I hoped you say that. Not the money but the other bit."

That led to hugs, kisses and a very loving time in bed.

Not long afterwards when Tom and Nell were having dinner at the Witherspoons, Kim shyly asked whether Nell would come up to her room and have a chat with her.

Nell went upstairs with her.

"Now," said Mary to Tom with a huge smile, "when can I expect a grandchild?"

"Oh, Lord!" said her husband.

Tom was unfazed. He smiled at Mary.

"Nell will be tickled pink," he said," that you would consider her children your grandchildren."

"Mine too," said her husband.

Tom smiled at him too. "But not yet," he said. "I know we've been engaged a long time but at last we're on our own and don't have to worry about parents glowering at us."

Both Witherspoons laughed.

"I've also set myself a financial target which I should reach within two years."

Mary reached across the table and squeezed his hand.

"I'm back in my box," she said, "but I love you both, even you, you spoilsport."

Tom smiled at her. She was almost as special as his mother.

Upstairs Kim was showing all her shyness and uncertainty even though she loved and trusted Nell above all others. At last she came to the point.

"I love Andrew," she said, "and I know he loves me. I think, I ... I know, that he's going t ... to ask me to m ... marry him soon."

She gazed beseechingly at Nell who knew instinctively what was worrying her.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.