Thursday's Child - Cover

Thursday's Child

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 6

Mary came down and joined Steven and Becca in the kitchen before dinner. She was still red-eyed and not her usual self but she made an effort. Becca surreptitiously squeezed her hand at one stage and received a warm smile. Steven made no reference to what had happened and Mary was grateful.

"I wonder when I'm going to hear from Rita about whether Brain Bros. have got a van we could have. It's not urgent but I'd like to have a second one by the time people start to come out of hibernation in the spring and, if they haven't got one for us, I need to plan the extra money to buy one commercially."

"Why not give her a ring?" asked Steven.

Becca grimaced. "I don't want to appear to be pushing them. I suppose I can wait until just after Christmas. That's another thing. Would it be all right to have all the girls in for Christmas Day again?"

"You bet."

Mary managed a grin. "Are you sure it's good for him?" she asked Becca. "Fourteen pretty girls in close proximity might do awful things for his blood pressure."

Becca chuckled. "He survived last year without any ill effects. We'll keep a cold, wet flannel handy to mop his brow though."

Steven did a Becca. "Grrr!" he growled. Both girls laughed.

They had just finished dinner when the telephone rang. It was Helen Anstruther for Becca.

"I need to have a chat with you, dear. Could you find an hour or so to meet me and Edna Yates at the home?"

"Yes, of course. When?"

"Tomorrow or the day after if you can."

"Tomorrow's a bit tight but I could manage the afternoon the day after."

"Wonderful! I'll check with Edna but if you hear nothing let's say half past two."

"OK. What's it all about?"

"We've got a problem boy and would like your views on how to handle him."

"Why me for Heaven's sake?"

"Because of all you've managed to achieve with the Damsels. Some of them had their problems but they're all so balanced and cheerful these days."

"That's very kind of you to say so but I've never really done anything except jolly them along."

"Well that may be the answer for this boy but I'll tell you more when I see you."

Becca was very thoughtful when she went back into the kitchen.

"Who was that then that's made you all solemn?" asked Steven.

"Helen Anstruther. She and Edna Yates want to hear my views on how to handle a problem boy because she said I've done so well with the Damsels. I can't think why. As I said to her, I've never done anything except jolly them along a bit if they were low."

"You've done a lot more for them than that, little one. You've been there for each and every one of them whenever they've needed help and that means a lot to them."

"We're all there for each other. It's not just me."

"Maybe not now but you kick-started the original six and you've kept it going. Mary and Jane are both strong characters and have always been a help to you. So has Nell since she got over her own problems. Don't underestimate what you've done, my darling."

Becca looked diffidently at her feet.

"He's right, love," said Mary. "Those girls love you and they also have the most enormous respect for you."

Becca hid her face against Steven's chest. His arms went round her.

"She's right, darling," he said, "and that is one of the things that makes me so proud of you."

She looked up at him, her eyes shining with happiness. To make him proud of her had always been one of her aims and to have him tell her was one of her greatest joys.

"Thank you," she whispered. "Do you know what I'd like to do?"

He shook his head.

"Dance."

"Mary'll be a bit left out."

"No, we'll all take it in turns."

"Mary?"

"Yes, please."

"Good," said Becca. "You two go and get started and I'll make some coffee."

Mary and Steven obediently went to the sitting room.

"I'm sorry to hear about Ray," said Steven gently.

"I'll live. Becca was brilliant. Has she told you?"

"Yes."

"That's another reason to be proud of her."

"I am, sweetheart. I promise you."

The first track was a quickstep and they started to dance. Steven enjoyed it but Mary was not as light on her feet as Becca nor did she anticipate him as well.

Becca brought the coffee in but did not pour it. The music stopped.

"Excuse me," she said to Mary. The next track was a waltz and Becca moulded her body to Steven's but that did not stop her dancing. Steven found it intensely arousing and sat down quickly when it was over. The two girls danced together with Mary taking the lead. There was then a break for coffee after which they danced again until the ten o'clock news. When that was over they all went to bed.

"You little witch," said Steven as he climbed into bed. Becca giggled.

"It was fun though, wasn't it?"

He pulled her gently to him and kissed her eyes, her nose and then her mouth.

"Yes it was but don't think you're going to get away scot free."

"Ooh goody!"

"You're incorrigible."

"If you say so."

He kissed her again gently and then passionately. She responded with vigour. He teased her for half an hour by which time she was begging for relief. He gave it to her and she drained him. They were both too tired to clean up afterwards and fell asleep blissful with their arms and legs wrapped round each other.

The following day Becca toured the work sites in the morning. "I'm going to ask everyone to come to us again on Christmas Day," she said to Molly.

Molly smiled at her. "No, love," she said. "Too late. We've decided that this year you and Uncle Steven are coming to us."

"Are you sure?"

"Quite sure. We've been planning this and putting aside money each week since last year."

"Oh, Molly! Bless you all! We'll have Mary with us. Is that all right?"

"Very all right."

Becca hugged her. "Thank you, love."

She told Steven and Mary that evening. Steven merely smiled lovingly at her.

"Told you," said Mary.

Rita Pinkley was in a dilemma. She had told Roger and Paul Brain of Becca's request for a second van and, without much difficulty, had persuaded them to make it a gift once more. She wanted it to be a surprise and she wanted all the girls to be there when it was delivered. The problem was that they would be scattered on two or three work sites and to get them together would give the game away. She suddenly remembered Nell telling her that the Hardacres had had everyone round on Christmas Day. She wondered whether they would be doing the same this year. Even if they were, would Roger or Paul or both be prepared to give up two hours of their Christmas Day with their families? It would be difficult for them to fit it in. They would probably want to go to church in the morning. She wondered what time they did their present giving and had lunch. They would not want to miss the Queen's Speech at three either. She needed to talk to them.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.