Thursday's Child
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

That evening Becca suggested that Steven and Mary have some time alone in the sitting room before dinner to catch up fully with each other. She also had some things on her mind concerning the Damsels and wanted time to think about them.

The first thing that Mary said to Steven as they sat down with their drinks (she had reverted to ginger beer) was, "You've got yourself a real winner, Uncle Steven. I've had a wonderful time with her today. She's such fun to be with. She certainly knows about painting and decorating. She charms her clients and is utterly brilliant with the Damsels who clearly love her."

Steven nodded happily. "I think she's very special too. When you think of those girls' backgrounds and indeed her own it's pretty impressive the way she's brought them all on to be the cheerful, helpful lot they are. When they visited her in hospital they all went and had a chat with the other patients who didn't have any visitors. Becca said Kim was a natural and that the rest knew how much a little love and affection meant to lonely and frightened people. She didn't accept that she had been influential in any way. You ask Nell or Molly though. They worship her shadow."

"I'll bet. The estimate she did today was for an elderly couple. He's bedridden but bright as a button and a dirty old man. Becca handled him beautifully and set the example for Isobel and me. And Isobel's what? Twice her age?"

"What did you do?"

"Just flirted mildly so as not to upset his wife but kept our distance. Actually he was pretty harmless. It was all chat and now Becca's agreed to send in a half team so as to prolong the time they're there to keep the old boy happy. His wife is thrilled."

"Typical!" thought Steven and his heart swelled with joy and pride. To Mary he merely shrugged as though that is just what he thought would happen.

Mary did not miss the look of pride and love in his eyes though.

"I think she's a lucky girl too," she said. "I had a crush on you since I was fourteen until I met Ray."

"Tell me about him."

"He's nothing special to look at, about five foot ten with sandy hair and blue eyes. He's got a kind, gentle face and he's a kind, gentle person. He can be quite firm but prefers to avoid an argument. He's no genius but he's got a good mind and he's got a good sense of humour too. He can see the funny side of most things. This row we had is the first. The trouble was it was a very serious one. Oh, Uncle Steven I do so hope he comes to me."

"I checked with a solicitor friend of mine this morning. It's as I suspected. If Ray shops the other two he's almost bound to be implicated and would be sent back for trial in Australia. They do the same as us about turning Queen's Evidence so he would probably get a lighter sentence. You're going to have to think very hard about making him do it."

Mary nodded miserably. "I've probably got a few weeks to think about it," she said. "In the meanwhile I need to start looking for a job. I can't go on sponging off you."

"Don't worry about it. You've got some £20,000 from your mother's estate which has been gathering interest over the last couple of years."

"As much as that?"

"The house fetched twelve and your father had set up a savings fund which she never touched which was another six odd. The rest was what she had in the bank and a National Savings account."

"Golly. That'll be useful for buying a house. I must still look for a job though."

"Try the local paper first then the Labour Exchange if you see nothing there."

In the meanwhile, Becca was preparing dinner but her mind was turning over the problems she foresaw with the Damsels. Two years ago they had started out with seven: Molly, Jane, Kim, Nell, Maisie, Heather and herself. Since then they had gained Dawn, Anita, Penny, Jasmine, Sue, Carly and Maureen; another seven. That meant there could easily be another three or four this year. From a work point of view she could take them without a problem. There always seemed to be a waiting period of at least a fortnight before they could start a new job. However, with an increased workforce and two or three teams working outside bicycle range, they would need a second van. She wondered whether Brain Bros would be prepared to give them another. One of the local charities might consider it too.

The main problem on her mind though was accommodation. Out of the present fourteen girls nine were living in the house which meant that six of them were already sharing a bedroom. Fortunately all three were double rooms but the other three were not. Dawn, Sue and Carly had boyfriends but there was no indication yet that any of these would become permanent relationships. One way or another the place was going to become overcrowded and she did not want any of the girls having to live in hostels again. The first thing she needed to do was to speak to Mrs Yates, the principal at the children's home, and find out more definite numbers asking to join the Damsels and when. She would do that in the morning.

Steven came in to replenish his and Mary's drinks. Becca blew him a kiss.

"Not long now," she said. "Can I have a drink too?"

"Of course you can, my poor little slave. Can we come and join you yet or are you going to come and join us?"

"You join me. I've still got bits and pieces like gravy to do."

"OK." He went to the kitchen door and called Mary. He poured Becca her drink and gave it to her kissing her as he did so.

"Thank you, my darling."

"Are you going to tell us what you've been thinking about?"

"The Damsels."

"What about them?"

"Well, first a second van and then getting a couple of new drivers trained. Do you think Nick would be prepared to ask Ron to do a repeat and train two more girls?"

"We can only ask. I'm sure he will if he can."

Becca beamed. "Would you do that?"

"Don't you think that you as the boss of this famous organisation ought to be the one to do that?"

"OK. It's just that Nick is your friend."

"Don't you think he's your friend too now?"

"I suppose so." She grinned. "Bully!"

He stuck the tip of his tongue out at her. "And what about the second van?"

"I thought I might sound out Rita except it might seem as though I'm taking advantage of their kindness."

"True but you and Nell did the spring and autumn catalogues this year and they'll be expecting you to do next year's as well, I imagine. What about offering them some new faces from the Damsels? Kim's a very pretty girl and so's that new one, Carly."

"That's a thought. You are a clever man. Kim might be a bit shy but it might also bring her out a bit. I'll give Rita a ring in the morning."

"Is that all?"

"No. The last one's a bigger problem. I'll tell you about it over dinner. Would you two lay the table?"

After everyone had tucked in and satisfied the first of their hunger Becca explained her worry over accommodation.

"With the present house," she went on, "the girls pay their utility bills and their rent just about covers the mortgage and the rates. The balance comes from company funds. If we bought another house the same would apply but it's a question of finding a deposit. The company can't do that at the moment. It might possibly be able to in a year's time but if we have to buy our new van there's not a hope."

"How much was the deposit on the present house?" asked Mary.

"£3,500. Why?"

"Uncle Steven's just told me that I've inherited £20,000 from Mum. Why don't I pay the deposit and you can pay me back at the bank rate over ten years?"

"Oh, Mary, that's a wonderful offer but I can't let you do that. You're going to need the money."

"No, I'm not. I'll need some for a deposit myself and to get some furniture but that's all. I'll only be moving it from one savings account to another."

"You wouldn't be getting as good a rate of interest."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.