Thursday's Child
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

After breakfast Steven was able to get into his own bedroom and get dressed. He then disappeared into his study. He rang one of his solicitor friends, David Moorehead.

After the niceties he said, "David, pure theorising, if an Australian in this country admits to a crime committed in Australia would he be tried in this country or Australia?"

"Australia."

"I thought so. Do the Australians have the same system of turning Queen's Evidence as we do?"

"I think so, in fact, I'm almost certain they do."

"Thanks, David."

"What have you got yourself into now, you old rogue?"

"Nothing yet. I'm just aiming off for wind and hoping not to have to fly to Australia."

"Dead right. Very boring even though I'd like to see a bit of the place."

"Very expensive too. By the way, how's Edward Johnson doing?"

"Professionally or emotionally?"

"Both."

"Professionally extremely well. He's got a very good mind including memory for detail. He speaks and writes clearly and he gets on with clients."

"Good!"

"Emotionally, I think he's just about back to normal. I see him gazing sadly into the distance from time to time. We had him to dinner a fortnight ago and produced a girl who I thought was jolly attractive. He was polite and attentive but no more. He was knocked sideways, Steven."

"I know, I know but, as they say, all's fair in love and war."

"You're right and from what I gather you are actually the one Becca would have preferred all along."

"I think so."

"You know so. Don't worry about him. He's young and will bounce back."

"Thanks, David. I must let you get on. 'Bye."

He sat and thought. His primary aim was to ensure the safety of the girls. As he had said last night, he could not see any immediate danger. There was a possibility that the real problem might be Ray. He wondered just how strong his love for Mary was. Much would depend on which way she jumped if and when he appeared. He decided to let things drop for the time being. Becca might well become Mary's confidante. That would be a big help.

In the meanwhile the girls had been tidying up in the kitchen. They then went and dressed and made the beds.

"What do you want to do today?" Becca asked. "I've got to go and visit the girls. It's just as well I'm not actually involved in a job at the moment. I've also got to go and give an estimate at eleven. I'm meeting Isobel there. That'll take about an hour."

"Could I come with you? I'd love to meet the Damsels and your aunt. Sometime in the next few days I shall need to get some more clothes and some bits and pieces from the chemist."

"Of course you can come. Isobel will be tickled pink to meet my alter ego. We might go and sniff round some of the clothes shops this afternoon if Steven doesn't need the car. I haven't got the van today. Molly's got a gang working over at Markham."

"Golly! You have spread your wings. That must be twenty miles away."

"Yup!" said Becca happily. "Let's go and say goodbye to himself and we'll be off."

She knocked on the study door.

"Do you always do that?" asked Mary in astonishment.

Becca nodded. "Habit," she said with a grin. "I'm off to see the girls, darling, and Mary's coming with me. Do you need the car this afternoon as Mary needs to do some shopping?"

"Not unless there's a crisis. In fact, I've got a client at three. Will you be home for lunch?"

"Yes. I have to make sure my lord and master is fed and watered."

"Hmph! You make me sound more like your old nag."

"Never! Can I have a kiss to keep my strength up?"

They kissed tenderly.

"What about me?" asked Mary.

"Phew! I shall be drained of strength shortly." He held out his arms. "It's so lovely to have you home, sweetheart." He kissed her fondly.

It was approaching nine o'clock. Becca said that she thought they ought to go over to Markham first and get that out of the way. Mary held her breath at first. Becca drove fast but Mary soon realised that she did so safely and obeyed the speed limits rigorously.

"How long have you been driving?" she asked.

"About a year. It was when we got the van. Uncle Steven arranged for the police to teach Molly and me. Our instructor was brilliant. When he finished with us we were miles better than we needed to be to pass the test."

"Are you the only two?"

"At the moment but I want to get at least a couple more trained because when I start having children I won't have time to go racketing round the area let alone do any decorating."

The house at Markham was a small, granite Georgian country house. A cheerful, untidy looking woman in her fifties opened the door when Becca rang the bell.

"Good morning, Mrs Ponsonby," said Becca. "I've come round to see that everything's going all right and that my girls are behaving."

"Good morning, Becca. Everything's going very well as far I can tell and I'm going to miss your girls a lot. They're fun to have around."

"Good. This is my cousin, Mary. She's just back from Australia and has come for the ride."

"How do you do, Mrs Ponsonby," said Mary smiling.

"And how do you do, my dear. Are you going to join the Damsels?"

"I don't think so but if I can't find a job I may have to."

Mrs Ponsonby chuckled. "You could do a lot worse," she said. "Anyway, come on in. I won't keep you, Becca. Feel free to roam. There are two teams upstairs and one in the dining room."

"Thanks, Mrs Ponsonby."

They had to weave their way past dining room furniture in the hall and went into the dining room. Dawn was up on a gantry with a long handled roller painting the ceiling. Anita and Penny, also with rollers, were doing the walls.

Anita was the first to spot them.

"Good morning, Mrs Hardacre," she said with a huge grin.

"Good morning, young lady," responded Becca with an equal grin. "Hey up, Lofty," to Dawn.

Dawn carefully finished her sweep so that there would be no drips and then pointed her roller at Becca. "Watch it, Madam!" she said.

Penny, with a straight face, touched a finger to her forelock. "Boss!" she said.

Becca pealed with laughter. "You see what I have to put up with," she said to Mary who was standing open-mouthed at the camaraderie. She shut it quickly and nodded.

"This is my cousin, Mary," said Becca. "For some strange reason she wanted to meet you."

Penny and Anita carefully put down their rollers and came over.

"Hello," they both said warmly.

"I'm Penny."

"And I'm Anita."

Dawn had laid down her long roller with equal care and then jumped down.

"Hello," she said, "I'm Dawn. Are you local?"

"I used to be but I've been in Australia for two years."

"Wow!" said Anita. "What were you doing there?"

"I worked in a travel agency in Melbourne."

"Coo! Did you manage to travel too?" asked Penny.

"No. I'm afraid not. I was just a receptionist. You had to be one of the reps to do that."

"Bad luck! How long are you home for?"

"I don't know. Probably for ever."

Becca jumped in. This conversation could move into tricky avenues. "OK, be seeing you all. Any problems?"

The girls shook their heads, smiled at Becca and Mary and went back to work.

Mary said nothing as they went upstairs. As they reached the landing a small blonde girl emerged from one of the rooms.

"Becca!" she cried and ran to hug her.

Becca hugged her back. "Hello, Nell love. I'd like you to meet my cousin, Mary. Mary, Nell is my cousin Tom's fiancée."

Nell looked between the two and then collapsed with giggles. Becca raised her eyebrows which caused Nell to laugh even more. Finally, she regained control of herself.

"Yes, Aunt Becca," she said solemnly and burst into laughter again.

Becca tried to look stern and puzzled at the same time and then burst into laughter herself. "Beast!" she hissed.

Mary got the joke and she started to laugh.

"Hey!" said Molly coming out of the same room as Nell. "We've got a job to do not spend our time having giggling fits." She winked at Mary which caused her to start laughing even more.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.