From Chrysalis to Butterfly - Cover

From Chrysalis to Butterfly

Copyright© 2010 by Texrep

Chapter 10

It was yet another Monday that Marion phoned Sylvie who upon hearing her voice broke down.

"Oh Marion. What have we done? Has your husband said anything?"

"We had a talk on Friday evening. Now stop weeping, it's alright. Everything is going to be ok."

"How do you mean?" Sylvie blubbered.

"There's too much to explain over the phone. Can I come over?"

"Of course you can. But won't you be creating more of a problem if you do?"

"No. I'll explain when I get to you. It is alright. Honestly."

Ninety minutes later Marion pulled into the parking area she thought she would never see again. A distraught, red-faced Sylvie met her at the door and threw herself into Marion's arms, sobbing. Slowly they made their way up to her flat. Sylvie was bursting to know how her friend had fared. Marion related the conversation she had with Charles.

"You're joking. Are you sure that's what he meant?"

"Yes, Sylvie. Charles is very exact in his wording and doesn't say anything without thought first. As long as I don't throw my adventure in his face, or generate publicity then he accepts my friendship with you and Guy. I am still his wife and he will come first in everything."

"And you say he has a mistress."

"Yes he has. The same conditions apply to him. He will not embarrass me with her. He let slip her name, Caroline, and I think I may have met her. She's a very career-driven woman. As is Charles."

"So there will be no repercussions?"

"No. It helped that I am having an affair with the scion of a 'good' family. Military service, a V.C. somewhere in the past and land-owners. These are all brownie points to the Civil Service."

"They know all that?"

"I'm sorry Sylvie, but investigating me meant that they would investigate you and Guy."

"Tell me. Do they know my bra size as well? Sylvie started to giggle and Marion joined her. Her irrepressible humour was a much needed relief.

Sylvie washed her face, put on some make-up and then made coffee.

"I'm going to phone Guy." She called from the kitchen. "He will be very pleased. He was so worried about you." Marion heard Sylvie talking to Guy. She came back with the three cups on a tray. "Guy is coming round." A minute later the door opened and Guy rushed in. He went straight Marion and held her hands in his.

"Sylvie says everything is alright." She smiled at him.

"Yes. Everything is alright." She went through her conversation with Charles again and palpable relief showed on his face.

"I am so relieved. We were all terribly worried about you." He smiled and kissed her. "Oh sorry. Am I allowed to do that?"

"Oh Guy. You have done far more than that, much to my delight, and would it be asking too much if it could happen again?"

"Do you really need to ask?."

Sylvie had watched silently and happily.

"Ok you two, before you start ripping the clothes of each other may I ask a question?" She got their attention. "What's this about a V.C. in the family? Do you know anything Guy?" He didn't need to search his memory.

"Yes. It was bloody years ago. I think it was Great, great Uncle Stanley in the First World War. It was posthumous of course. Dad told me about it. I'm surprised you didn't know."

"Why posthumous of course?" Sylvie questioned.

"Subalterns had a life span of a week to two months in the front line. Dad said they gave out V.C.'s with the rations. It looked good in the papers."

"That's cynical." His sister replied.

"If you think that's cynical you would be surprised at attitudes in Government today." Marion remarked. "According to Charles, the E.U. is the battlefield these days. Yesterdays enemies are today's allies, unless it's the French. As my husband has it they have been the enemy for a thousand years, we just fight them with different weapons now." Sylvie and Guy grinned.

"I think the problem is that we and the French are too much alike. It's like a magnet, opposite poles attract and like poles repel."

Guy let that sink in then changed the topic. "Can we talk about something different and far more enjoyable? The Masque for instance." Sylvie nodded enthusiastically.

"Now that is something enjoyable to discuss." She turned to Marion. "It's in three weeks time; do you think you could come?" Marion looked from one to the other and they both smiled at her and nodded eagerly.

"I would think so. From what Charles has said he will be commuting to Brussels for at least another month. So yes, but what is the Masque actually?"

"It's a Charity thing. It raises money for the children's home. Everyone wears a mask and during the evening a decorated bucket goes around. The idea is that with the masks no one knows who is donating so there isn't embarrassment about the size of the donation. No cheques are allowed only cash. The sum collected last year is displayed on a banner and if the collection doesn't match or beat that figure the bucket goes round again. The masks are not supposed to be removed so people can be a little naughty if they find someone they would like to share a kiss with. You will be groped quite a lot on the dance floor, but it's nothing serious, quite fun in fact."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.