From Chrysalis to Butterfly - Cover

From Chrysalis to Butterfly

Copyright© 2010 by Texrep

Chapter 3

Hugo came over shortly after Guy had arrived and took their order. Telling Guy that he had lost him two customers. Guy was perplexed but Sylvie put him in the picture. She had seen the two men leave as soon as Guy sat down. He turned to Marion.

"The repairer says he can make the repair, but warned me that it will not last long as the only thing he can do is glue it. Therefore I owe you a pair of shoes." Marion smiled and put her hand on his arm.

"Don't worry about it, Guy. A day supposedly for window shopping has turned into an adventure. As you were the catalyst that started the adventure I should be thanking you."

"I must insist, Marianne." He used her pseudonym. "Adventure or not I was clumsy and the reparation has to be mine." Sylvie had followed this conversation and saw that Guy was astounded by the change in Marion and he was interested in her. She also saw the warmth in Marion's eyes as she talked with Guy.

"Well, Guy. If Marion will not let you pay for her new shoes, how about you take Marianne to Dinner one evening?"

"What a great idea." Exclaimed Guy. "Perfect. What do you say, Marianne?"

Marion was silent. Marianne was tempted, but Marion's conscience reminded her that she was a married woman and it wouldn't be right. Then Marianne told her that Charles was away in Brussels next week and Guy would be a considerate escort without being pushy. She tried to resolve the conflict and her immediate reply was non-committal.

"I shall have to think about that." Sylvie smiled inwardly to herself. She was very sure that Marion would accept the invitation. She had said enough in their conversation earlier for Sylvie to guess that Marion's life was comfortable but mundane. As Marianne she could enjoy a little harmless flirtation.

The sandwiches they ordered now arrived and another glass of Chablis. Aware that she would have to drive at some time later this afternoon, Marion drank sparingly of the wine and enjoyed the Mozzarella and tomato sandwich. It enhanced her enjoyment of her two companions who loved each other, yet were disparaging of each other in equal proportions. She never had a brother or a sister so missed out on that love/hate relationship that was sibling rivalry. Sylvie and Guy had something a little better than merely siblings. They had no blood tie, had grown up together and viewed the other as simply a friend, although Marion caught hints that their friendship went a little further. They involved Marion in their conversation. They talked about their backgrounds and they teased out of Marion more of her history. They spoke candidly of theirs as well. Their background was military. Guy's father had been killed in the Falkland conflict. Sylvie's father had been there as well and it appeared that her father owed Guys' family a debt of honour. Becoming a widower and knowing Guy's mother well, after a decent time had elapsed he paid court to her and she became his wife, thereby bringing the two bereaved families together. Guy was treated as his son in all ways.

They enjoyed the hospitality of Hugo for most of the afternoon. Marion had not considered the time at all as she was quite happy to sit and chat with her new friends. However she was horrified when she glanced casually at her watch. It was half past three!

"I am so sorry, but I shall have to leave." Sylvie understood, picked up her purse and stood up.

"Come on, we will change you back to Marion so you don't give your husband a heart attack." Marion took a deep breath and turned to Guy.

"Thank you for your invitation to dinner. I would like that. It will have to be next week though."

"I am delighted, Marianne. I suspect that you will be uncomfortable if I phone you, so if you call Sylvie she will pass the message on to me. Just name the evening, and I shall be your humble servant." Marion smiled. He had made her smile quite a lot this afternoon.

Guy escorted them to the Boutique then left them. With her make-up returned to its usual appearance and dressed in her normal clothes, Marion watched wistfully as Sylvie hung up the dress.

"Will you pack that dress, Sylvie? I'll take it with me. I will need to get something for this dinner Guy has promised me. I am sure you will have something suitable and I need to settle with you, for the shoes and the dress." Sylvie smiled; she was expecting something like this.

"Leave the dress with me; I'll get it pressed. Don't worry about settling just yet, we can sort that out later when you aren't in a rush. Oh! And in the meantime I'll look for something for your date."

"It's not a date. It's just Guy buying me dinner as an apology."

"Is that so?" Sylvie enquired. "It seems to me more about two friends having an intimate evening."

"Rubbish." Cried Marion. "It's making amends. That's all."

"Of course." Her friend told her smiling as if there was a private joke. "Guy will be the perfect gentleman." She paused. "If you want him to be."

"Sylvie!"

As she drove back from Frant Marion's mind was turbulent. Regretting her impulsive agreement to have dinner with Guy at one moment and the next minute looking forward to an evening spent with a handsome, amusing young man who would give her his complete attention. She rationalised the situation. Charles did take her out to dine from time to time, but they were always in company, others from the Department or people who Charles wished to cultivate. She couldn't remember the last time they had dined out just as a couple. Could she excuse dinner with a friend whilst Charles was in Brussels? Why not? Guy was just a friend. Charles would no doubt be dining with others and there was a distinct probability that some of those would be women.

Charles was very distracted for the rest of that week so much so that he didn't ask of Marion how her day in Tunbridge went. He usually brought home some papers over the weekend, but now he was bringing them home every evening. After Dinner he would retire to his study and read them all. They had little conversation apart from the usual greetings and chat over the meal. Marion asked him if the Brussels business was important.

"Yes, my dear. We have to decide the subsidies for fruit farmers over the next financial year. There is a certain amount in the budget and the French, as usual are trying to bag it all."

"That seems unfair."

"Not according to the French. Their argument will be that as they have more fruit farmers than anyone else, they should have the Lion's share. Of course what they don't tell you is that they are counting as fruit farmers even the smallest of plots as small as half an acre, with ten apple trees. Thus they can subsidise inefficient farming that under normal circumstances would not be viable. The French view the EU as a Piggy Bank into which they can dip whenever it suits. Unfortunately it's mainly us and the Germans who fill the Piggy Bank!"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.