Closer Than Breathing - A Light Gay Odyssey
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2010 by Alan Keslian

My help in Hatshepsut's Pavilion soon amounted to much more than minding the shop occasionally while Alicia nipped out. She rang, or came into the bookshop, several times a day to ask about local advertising or wanting an opinion on potential new items of stock. Once she showed me a couple of parchment scrolls, one illuminated with Egyptian hieroglyphics, and the other with the early Germanic script known as runes. They cost about a pound each wholesale, and she thought they might sell for double that — a one hundred per cent profit!

Deciding which of thousands of items on the market might be profitable, from aromatherapy candles to complex psychometric charts, must have been perplexing. As she always put up with my teasing about crystal ball gazing being akin to navel gazing, or that reading tea leaves could have no advantage over reading coffee grouts or the scum someone left behind in a bath, now that she had asked a sensible question I said, 'Maybe the hieroglyphics are worth two pounds as they're so attractive and colourful, but the runes are are not that striking, are they? They're basically a series of black lines that sometimes cross one another.'

'Runes are supposed to be psychographic, ' she said, using a word that was obviously psychobabble. 'Still, you may be right. Perhaps I'll put them in at one-fifty and see how they do. Ah!' she sighed, 'The sales rep was a very attractive and persuasive woman.'

When I told Jeremy about the parchments, he remembered an old black and white film, Night of the Demon, in which the villain contrived to plant a runic script carrying a curse on his victims. At nightfall a monstrous fiend would appear and savage them. The only chance of salvation was to pass the runes on. Whoever held them as daylight faded would then become the fiend's prey.

At home after work I found a runes parchment in my bag that Alicia must somehow have planted there. I showed them to Dale. 'Guess where these came from!'

'Alicia? What are they?'

'Runes. Here, ' I said, trying to pass them on to him.

'Prunes? No, I'm fine in that department at the moment, thanks all the same.'

'I said runes, not prunes. They're an old Teutonic script. Did you ever see that film... '

'Oh yes, ages ago on TV, it's coming back to me now. The villain passed them on to his victims, who would see them waft away on a sudden breeze, before being attacked by a monster. So you're trying to bring me to a horrible violent death are you?'

'Only to save myself. I wouldn't inflict anything like that on you unless it was in a really good cause.'

'That's your excuse, is it? Fine boyfriend you are.'

In the evening, we took the runes with us to the Give and Take. A terrific hunk stood at the bar wearing a denim shirt and a pair of low-cut jeans. As a little prank, Dale asked me for the runes, and casually meandered up to him. I followed. Pulling the parchment from his pocket, Dale said to me, 'What do you make of this. Any idea what it could be?'

'Some of your fan mail?'

'Ha-ha.' He caught the eye of the Adonis in denim and asked him. 'Have you ever seen anything like these?' The guy smiled and took the scroll from him. After he made a few wild guesses, we explained about the old horror film and the curse of the runes. Smiles half heard what we were saying and came over.

'Well, that isn't like any sort of music I've ever seen.'

'What makes you think they're a kind of music?'

'You were talking about tunes.'

'Not tunes, runes.' Soon a little group of us at the bar were passing the runes to one another, slipping them down each other's shirt fronts, and pretending to be terrified of being left holding them when the bar closed. After a while the conversation moved on, and I forgot about them until, getting into bed, I saw the parchment sticking out from under my pillow.

Dale, who had been watching me, said 'Did you think you'd got away with trying to pass the curse on to me? And what you don't know is that actually I am the demon from the film, and I'm taking vengeance on you right now.' He grabbed me, pushed me down and sat on my chest. It was not too difficult to topple him over sideways. We wrestled for a while, the bedding and the two of us sliding down to the floor, until we tired of the struggle, relaxed our grip on each other, caressed and made love.

The following afternoon I went to serve in Hatshepsut's Pavilion so that Alicia could go to her Egyptology meeting. 'I wonder, ' she said, taking off her Cleopatra headdress, 'what this would look like on you.'

'Wonder all you like, it's not going to happen, especially now you've given the cobra's head those green glass eyes.'

'Spoilsport. Where's your sense of fun? I spent hours renovating that wig. It was a moth-eaten old thing I found in a theatrical costumier's store. You have to admit it does make an impression on customers in the shop.'

'You're right about that, ' I said, not saying what kind of impression I thought it made.

'Oh ... nice of you to say so, Ben. Must admit I did wonder if the beady green eyes were going a bit too far. Well, see you later.'

I was trying to decide how to amuse myself during my solitary hours in her shop, when a friend from the Give and Take came in.

'Oh, hi Ben, got any of those runes?'

'Well, yes, in that box over on your left. They gave us a good laugh last night, didn't they.'

'One-fifty each, okay, ' he said, picking up three parchments. 'They were fantastic at breaking the ice with that new guy, you know, the dream in denim. Starting up a conversation for the first time with someone you really fancy is always tough going. Everyone uses the same tacky old chat-up lines. How many times have you heard "I thought it was totally dead in here until you came in?" The runes were a great opener. A couple of the other lads want to have a go, too.'

During the next few days a stream of customers for runes came in. Learning how well the parchments were selling, Jeremy put in an urgent order for some for the bookshop. He had not had them on display for long when, of all people, Toby appeared.

'Been a long time, ' he said. 'Don't worry, it's only your runes I'm after. How are you doing?'

'They're one pound fifty.'

'Everyone is larking around with them in the club. I'll take a couple. You're looking good.'

I took his money but said nothing.

'Not still pissed off with me, are you?'

'Sometimes it's best to move on. I have.' I handed him the runes. 'Watch out for the demon.'

'Demon, what d'you mean?'

I wanted to keep our conversation brief and said, 'Oh ... nothing.'

'If that's how you feel, ' he said tersely, and left.

For a short while, in trendy pubs and clubs, going up to people and trying to pass runes on to them became a craze. I asked Alicia why, with so many parchments being passed around, no attacks by the fiend had been in the news.

She countered by asking, 'Did you think there would be?'

'No, but, I suppose the whole thing started with runes being passed on to you by a sales rep. What this means is that one bit of the occult has been proved to be nonsense. You are still here, not assailed by the fiend, despite having dozens of runes parchments in your possession at nightfall, and none of your customers has been attacked either.'

'But they're only fake runes. You don't think I would risk creating mayhem by selling genuine runes to anyone who happens to walk into the shop, do you?'

'What? Have you got genuine runes in a box under the counter for special customers? Someone should report you to Trading Standards, selling fake runes.'

'Don't be so mean. Actually, you and Dale might be interested in a new line that's coming in on Monday. Little polished pebbles in sets of six, each with a rune inscribed on it. According to the leaflet, you can tell people's fortunes by the order in which they come out of the bag. You can also slip them into someone's pocket to summon the demon, or throw them all up into the air and try to catch them. You could take a set, show them around, see if they catch on.'

'Thanks for the offer, but maybe we have had enough runes for now.'

My view of the paranormal was as sceptical as ever, but Hatshepsut's Pavilion had provided more entertainment and hilarity in the weeks since it opened than all my months of work in the bookshop. The next little adventure started with the sale of a tin of biscuits, Nefertiti's Nubian Assortment. Each nibble was in its own paper wrapper, and had a message on the inside saying that the omens for love were very strong, or that good fortune lay ahead, or giving some other groundless prediction. A smartly dressed woman who grinned all the time approached the till carrying one of the tins, evidently wanting to impress with her constant display of teeth. She must have been very fond of snacks, for I saw a few crumbs from an earlier treat on the lapel of her coat.

When she had gone I noticed some flyers for Alicia's so-called personal astrology service on the shelf under the counter. At the bottom of the page were the words Ask Alicia or Ben for your personal consultation. She had included my name without asking me. I tackled her about the leaflets when she returned from her meeting.

'I thought you'd be pleased, ' she said. 'A male customer might be happier to talk to another man, especially if he is hoping for the more personal subjects to be included. He might tell you a few juicy bits about himself.'

'I'm not interested in some weirdo's juicy bits. People will think I'm setting myself up as a fortune teller. If anyone at the Give and Take sees one of these I'll be a laughing stock.'

'You're so difficult sometimes.' She sighed and put on her Cleopatra headdress, now even more ridiculous as she had replaced the green-eyed cobra's head with a grotesque plastic spider. My irritation evaporated as I suppressed the urge to laugh. She said, 'I put your name in as an acknowledgement of all the help you're giving me in the shop. Actually, since you've raised the subject, I do sometimes sense that you might be gifted. Now don't pull a face. I always envy the gifted. I'm not myself, you see, except that I think maybe I'm good at spotting those who are.'

'Alicia, please tell me you won't invite people to contact me to arrange horoscopes, fortune telling, or anything else of that kind?'

'All right, if you must be so fussy. At least your boyfriend doesn't have a closed mind. He's agreed to come in on Thursday to help me add some new material to the reports on the astrology system.'

Dale did not believe in the stars any more than I did. He had probably agreed to help because he found it hard to say no. I went back to the bookshop to see if any orders had come in via the internet. Half an hour later she burst in, clearly overwrought. She was still wearing the Cleopatra headdress, the eyes of the plastic tarantula now glowing intermittently, presumably battery powered.

'Ben, you haven't sold any of the crystal scarab beetles lately, have you?'

They were probably the most expensive items not to be locked away in a glass case. 'No. The rune parchments were still going well, but nobody bought scarab beetles.'

'Three or four of them are missing.'

'My only sale, other than the runes, was one tin of Nefertiti's Nubian Assortment.'

'The last time I checked the beetles was a week ago. My fault. We can't watch everyone a hundred per cent of the time. It would be easy for anyone to slip a couple into a bag or their pocket.'

Unable to think of any comforting words, I offered to make her a cup of tea.

'Thanks, but I'd better go back and open up again.'

'Jeremy's gone out, but I could come round a bit later when he's back, maybe in half an hour?'

When I went round she was sitting behind the screen at the back, looking forlorn. I sat opposite her. 'You could put the scarab beetles in the lockable display case.'

'Yes, but it's what the theft says about people in general. You begin to lose faith.'

'Not everyone is trying to steal, are they? We'll just have to keep an eye out for anything suspicious. In a shop you have to accept some losses.'

She said, 'You did once suggest putting in security cameras, didn't you? Things have not got as bad as that yet. Let's talk about something else. You're good with words, aren't you. Ever thought about ghost writing?'

'Don't you have to be dead first?'

'Very funny. You're determined never to take anything I say seriously.'

'I take shoplifting seriously. You see the funny side of some of this stuff yourself sometimes.'

'Well, some of it ... plastic vampire bats and spiders are just for amusement ... people mainly buy them to give to their kids. The fascination, though, is in trying to get some insight into the unknown, or unexplained. There is uncertainty all around us. Even with ancient Egypt, despite all the artefacts and records we have, that world is mysterious to us. For instance, we don't know why the pyramids at Giza were built to the particular size that they are, or why they are in the configuration of the stars in Orion's belt, or why pyramid building was abandoned for underground tombs. All the unknowns in our world are worrying in one sense, but they also give us hope.'

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.