The Return of Lilly Rose
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2010 by Calma

Paul calls John, "Morning John, I need your help."

"What is going on?"

"I have recruited some temporary help."

"Why would you do that?"

"I didn't have a choice. He insisted."

"Who is it?"

"The Preacher."

"The Preacher, I thought he was dead."

"No, just retired."

"Why the hell is he poking his nose in to this?"

"Special circumstances, I can't discuss this over the phone."

"I want to bring him over to meet you and the board. He can explain it for himself."

"Ok but he is going to have to go through security checks."

"That would not be a good idea. Also, there should be no one else at the meeting except the board members."

"He will go through the security checks."

"No he won't, I am telling you this. There is a reason for it."

"I will relent. If this turns south, I am holding you personally responsible. When are you bringing him in?"

"I will have him there at five in the morning. I don't want any hassle at the check points."

"I know my damn job Paul. I swear one of these days you and I are going to end our worldly existence in an argument."

Paul laughs and says his good byes. He hangs up the phone and goes to find Lilly and Lane. He finds them sitting in the den with Jennifer.

"Ok, we have to be there at five. Do you have your equipment all set up?"

"Yeah, who all is going to be there?"

"Just the board and the director, I will introduce you by there nicknames. Is there anything else we need?"

"No, I got Frank's shipment this morning. I am good to go. I want Lilly to go with us."

"I guess so. They aren't going to like it."

"Who cares, we are only going there to explain why I am here."

"True."

The next morning they leave the mansion early. Paul is driving. He is amazed at how calm Lane is with his driving. Lane doesn't flinch a bit at some of the close calls. But, when they drive through the holographic wall, Paul sees him grab the door handle real hard. They park in the garage and get on the elevator. Paul reminisces with Lilly about her first time going to the facility. Which earns him a shot in the arm. Paul reminds Lane not to say anything. Just in case, the security team does a voice recognition on him. They are stopped at the security desk. Paul looks at the man. The man keeps trying to question Lane. Lane gets fed up rather quickly. The man starts to ask another question when Lane hits him in the mouth. Blood and teeth fly everywhere. The other security members start to move in on Lane. Paul steps in front of them.

"I will kill the first man who makes another move. Now, get the fuck out of our way."

The men hurriedly get out of the way. Paul swears all of the way to the elevators.

When they get in the elevator, Paul apologizes, "Sorry, I will have a word with John about this."

"Dad don't hurt Uncle John. He was just trying to protect everyone here."

"I know honey, but I warned him not to try anything. What do you suggest I do?"

"Nothing, the perpetrator has already been punished."

Lane taps Paul on the shoulder. Paul looks at him. He points to speck on the ceiling of the elevator. Paul looks at the speck. Lane motions for them to be quiet. He takes something out of his pocket and raises it near the speck.

He says, "Ok you can speak freely now. I think we really need to be careful. This is some high tech stuff."

"The only people who use these are governments."

"How do you know?"

"I worked for them remember."

The elevator door opens. Lane motions them to be quiet and points out of the elevator. They walk down the hallway to the boardroom. They enter the boardroom. Seven men and women are seated at the table. Lane motions them to stay silent he walks around the room behind the board members.

John feels insulted and yells, "What the fuck Paul?"

Lane motions Paul to be silent. He stops behind a portly gentleman in his sixties. Lane again pulls an object out of his pocket. A couple of seconds later, he grabs the man by the throat.

"Who do you work for?" he yells.

The man just growls.

He repeats the question, "Who do you fucking work for?"

John jumps out of his seat. Paul steps in between them. John just stands there. Lane goes back to his victim.

"I will not ask again. I am going to rip your throat out. Now, who do you work for?"

The man slowly answers, "The President."

Lane not so gently throws him back in his chair. The rest of the board and John now turn their attention to the man. Lane slips out a small nylon rope out of his pocket. He ties the man to his chair.

"I am going to ask you some questions. One wrong answer and your days are over."

"Who are you?"

Paul interrupts, "His nickname is Condor. His real name is Donald Mack."

"Why does the President have this place bugged?"

Donald answers slowly, "He realized we have better intelligence than he does."

"Why did you betray these people?"

"I didn't betray them."

"Yes you did the minute you fed the President any information about what goes on here. Before I divulge anything, you need to remove this man. He is wired so be careful what you say when you take him out of here."

John stands flabbergasted. He motions to the only board member who did not react to Lane's violence. The man stands and walks over to Donald. Deftly the man hoists the portly man on to his shoulder and leaves the room. He returns a few minutes later. Lane walks around him again. The man just smiles and sits down. Lane knows that this is one man not to mess with. The board sits back down. Paul sits down at the other end of the table. Lilly sits down on his left and Lane on his right. He motions for Lane to remove his mask. Some of the members gasp.

He begins, "Ladies and gentlemen, this is not Nick. This is his younger brother Lane. He goes by the name of Preacher. Lane at the head of the table is our director John Jackson his codename is the General. From left to right, this is Griffin a very ferocious fighter. Next to him is Python, in her day she was the deadliest poison."

"We have met. It is nice to see you again."

"Likewise Preacher."

"On the other side seated next to John is Gargoyle. He was the Jackal's counter part during the cold war." He nods at Lane. "Next to him is Wolfhound. He was one of the worlds greatest detectives." He also nods to Lane. "Last but not least the deadliest man still alive. He is called the Calm One. I have never known the man to get rattled about anything."

"We have met several times. I however did not know at the time who he was. You were sent to find out who I was?" he asks the man.

"You are very perceptive. Yes at one time, we were not sure what side of the fence you played on."

"If I was playing on the other side, what then?"

"You already know the answer."

"I guess I do. I am here to investigate my brother's death. I will not reveal my face to anyone outside of this room while I am here. I am only asking permission to have free reign of the facility."

Griffin immediately answers, "No, I will not allow it."

Lane laughs a little bit.

Wolfhound agrees, "I concur and you should not be allowed to know our secrets."

The rest of the board nods their agreement. Lane starts laughing out loud. Paul wonders if he has lost his mind. Lilly grabs his arm and looks at him concerned. He gently waves her to sit back. He is still laughing which gets some of the board members irritated.

John asks, "What is so funny?"

"All of you are worried about your secrets and you allowed a spy in to your midst. Besides, you have no secrets from me anyway."

For the first time, Calm One reacts. He sits up in his chair and looks at Lane in a quizzical way.

"Let me explain, you see I own the facility."

The board members start laughing as well as Paul and Lilly. Lane ends their laughter quickly. He slams his hand on the table. He pulls out several papers out of his jacket and hands it to Paul. Paul looks over them quickly. His face goes from mirth to concern. He walks up and hands the papers to John. John looks over them and immediately hands them to the Wolfhound.

He studies them closely and says, "He wasn't joking. He does own the Facility. He also owns the mansion and approximately a thousand acres surrounding us. Why have you allowed them to sell your property off in the warehouse district?"

"I haven't none of those sales are legally binding. If I so wish to exert my rites. Which I have done many times. There is a team of crooked real estate agents, who have found a new way to make money. I have informed the police department and the courts. However, they have not been able to capture them or are unwilling to do so. But that is none of your concern. Back to other matters, Nick did not obtain his money the way he said he did. My father was a very shrewd businessman. He purchased all of this property many years ago and several others all over the world. Mr. Smith approached him at one time and he allowed him to use the mansion. The contract there is signed by all of your founding members including Mr. Smith here. They however did not know my father's real name. He had them all sign the contract. Then to stay anonymous he signed it later. They all agreed that would be best. As I said, he was a very shrewd man. When my father passed away, I received the family business. The rest of my family receives a stipend every quarter from the proceeds of the business.

Nick knew all of this. One day he was exploring the mansion and found an ancient wine cellar. We believe the mansion was built before the civil war. He placed his hand on one of the walls and fell in to a cave, this cave. He explored the cave and found several entrances and exits. He called me a couple of weeks later. I came out and investigated it with him. He persuaded me to invest in building this place. Since the family business grosses a billion dollars a year, it didn't take much to persuade me. I provided him with everything he needed to build it the way he wanted it. I however made a few requests of my own. I had a very special security system installed. Over the years, I have listened to almost every conversation and every decision this board has ever made. When I retired a few years ago, I quit listening. I decided you were worthy to continue with out me." The room was stoically silent. "You have made a resounding note not to give me a free reign over what is not yours in the first place. Do you want to reconsider your answer?"

John immediately answers, "Yes sir and I apologize for our inconsideration."

"Do not kiss my ass Mr. Jackson. I was hoping that none of this information would ever come to light. However, 'your better than I attitude' has made me release it. I am not happy about it at all."

"You can trust us. None of this information will ever be revealed."

"I can not trust you. You allowed several traitors in your midst. My brother Jimmy however was not your fault. But just recently, you have allowed Max Newton and Donald Mack. How does that make for a trustworthy environment?"

"I see your point. What can we do?"

"Nothing you can do now but take a vote and never divulge any information that has been presented here today. I will warn you if any of you has an inkling about talking outside of this room beyond the now. I will dispose of you myself." Calm One laughs. "Your conceitedness has already made it possible for me to rid this world of you Calm One. I have known exactly who you are for many, many years. I also know your weaknesses. As I know all of your weaknesses. None of you knows mine. Remember this before you laugh at me again." The Calm One stares hard at Lane. "Yes I know how dangerous you are. I also know you are smart enough to realize fighting with me will be futile. Now, that your testosterone has been calmed down. I suggest all of you reevaluate your earlier decision and revote."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.