To Whom It May Concern - Cover

To Whom It May Concern

Copyright© 2010 by James Marcus

Chapter 3: Home Coming

Karen could not believe what she was seeing, according to the files on her computer, David had checked out last night along with his roommate. The file gave very little information on the conditions of his checking out; just that he voluntarily left the hospital. But why would he leave like that, without saying good-bye? She was sure there was a connection between them. She felt her eyes begin to tear up. "Girl, you are better than that, letting your self get all emotional over a patient, and a man at that." Karen heard Julia mutter behind her.

"But..." Karen stammered

"No buts girl, he is gone and you are just going to have to get used to that." Julia said her left hand resting on her hip while her right pointed in Karen's direction to emphasize what she was saying. "Its like I have told you so many times before, Men are pigs and they will break your heart every time. The only thing a man is good for is a little fun and a quick goodbye."

"What was that, Nurse Jimenez?" The on duty doctor asked as he passed the nurse's station.

"Nothing, Doctor." Julia replied her face reddening. As the doctor passed them, Julia quickly stuck her tongue out and then turned back to her station.

Karen chuckled at Julia's antics and resumed her perusal of the files and notes from the previous shift. "I still can not believe he just left like that, though. Something is just not right about it."

"Excuse me, Nurse?" A very soft feminine voice inquired of Karen.

Karen looked up and saw a young blond haired woman looking at her from across the counter. The woman was quite attractive with golden blond hair that curled into ringlets around her shoulders and deep dark blue eyes. "May I help you Miss?" Karen asked

As the woman began to answer her question, Julia looked up from her station and let out a low barley audible whistle of appreciation. The young woman glanced in Julia's direction and tried to hide a slight smile. Julia again began to turn red and returned her attention to her station; quite surprised the woman had heard her exclamation. The woman looked at Karen again. "Yes, I would like to inquire if you are the Nurse that was attending to David Jenkins?"

Karen's breath caught in her throat at the mention of David's name. "Yes, Nurse Jimenez and I were both responsible for Mr. Jenkins. Is there something we can help you with?"

"No, thank you. I just needed to make sure." The woman replied as she looked around the area and started to fumble with something in her purse.

Karen started to back away from her station, her fingers fumbling for the panic alarm. "Julia!"

As Julia started to turn towards Karen, hearing the panic in Karen's voice, the young woman brought a small gun out from her purse and aimed it at Karen. A sudden flash of light emitted from the gun, and both Karen and Julia collapsed to the floor. The young woman quickly rounded the nurse's station and pulled Julia's limp form on top of Karen. Then she dropped a small metallic device on the two unconscious women and with a flash they were gone. She looked around the room, and with a smile, slid the gun back into her bag. She started walking out of the ward towards the hospital exit, whistling as she walked.


David slowly came to, his eyes quickly adjusting to the subtle light of the chamber. He was astonished on how much he now knew. Every rule, regulation and protocol ever set down by the Kreg'ar and later by the Fleet Mainframes. He did not understand all of them nor the reasoning behind most, but he knew them all. He also understood his role as Commander-in-Chief. He understood what he had to do to take command of the fleet and establish the Earth Defense Force. There would have to be changes of course, as most of the protocols and the rank structure the Kreg'ar and the Main Frames used would be too alien for humans to accept. He now knew how to do it all though.

Slowly the light in the compartment began to grow brighter. As it did so David also realized he no longer felt claustrophobic in the small room. It was probably a side effect of his better understanding of the purpose of the Training Chamber and how to use it. As he thought this the door of the Training Chamber slid silently slid open to revel his bedroom beyond. David was a little surprised he did not see the Interface Unit waiting for him as he awoke. He climbed out of the chamber and stretched his tired muscles. He felt refreshed and awake. "Mainframe, where is the Remote Interface Unit Mark II?" David inquired.

"That unit is currently on assignment on the planet below. Do you wish me to recall it?"

"No that is fine, thank you." David replied as he headed towards the back wall of the room. As he approached the wall a hidden door slid open revealing a closet full of black and red uniforms. David took one off its hanging device and laid it on the bed. He quickly took off his hospital gown and removed his undergarments. Looking around the room he went over to one of the end tables and a small drawer slid open revealing several pairs of clean underwear and socks. David put on his new uniform carefully, admiring each piece in its form, function and comfort. He walked across the room to a small section of the wall behind the Training Chamber as it slid out and rotated to reveal a mirror. David had never worn a military uniform before, but from what he had heard from others whom had they tended to be made for functionality or appearance, never for comfort. David was quite surprised by how good the uniform he now wore looked and how comfortable it felt. It matched the uniform worn by the holographic representation of the main frame; however the collar epaulets were considerably more complex. He looked at them and smiled, this too would have to change. These strange shapes would take too much getting used to for human tastes.

David exited his bedroom and walked to the bathing area. As he approached the wall it too slid open and flipped around revealing a cubicle with an assortment of electronic devices and a mirror. He looked down at the devices and frowned, not sure how to use any of them. "Definitely something I will have to address the next time I use the Training Chamber." He stated to himself. "Oh well its not like the Kreg'ar have any grooming regulations like the Earth military does." He thought as he walked out of the bathing room and headed for the door to his quarters.

As he approached the door he herd a quiet chime and a screen lit up beside the door revealing Spaz standing outside the room wearing a uniform very similar to his. David smiled and continued towards the door, which opened up as he walked up to it and out into the hall "Have a good rest?" David asked a grinning Spaz.

"Yes Commander a very good nap. I have to say these folks have a lot of rules and regulations. I am not sure I am going to be able to keep it all straight." Spaz replied with an even bigger grin as he came into step to David's right.

"That's ok, I have a feeling a lot of these rules won't ever apply to us and we can probably get rid of them, I think I am going to have to hire someone with a better understanding of laws and how they mesh and intertwine to go over them and see what we can do away with." David stated as they walked down the hall to the lift.

As David was talking to Spaz he noticed that there were no epaulets on Spaz's collar. "You have no rank insignia?"

"I think that's because officially I have no rank in this military, right now I am just a member of your staff and an advisor."

"Ah ok, I guess that makes sense."

The two entered the lift as its doors opened and David stated their destination. They stood in silence as the lift churned along its track. Once the doors opened they exited onto the bridge of the ship, and both again marveled at the scene before them. Looking at your planet from a high orbit on a two-story view screen was quite impressive, no matter how often you see it. "Mainframe, what is the ETA of the Interface Unit?" David asked. "I wish to get this ceremony started soon."

"Commander the Remote Interface Unit has completed its assignment and is on its way back to the ship, ETA five minutes." The voice of the ship's Mainframe droned.

"Why so long, is not the ship's beaming technology instantaneous?"

"Sir, power levels are quite low at this time, so the Interface Unit chose to use a Querithon to go down to the planet and carry out its mission. Beaming has been restricted to mission critical uses, or with command authorization, neither of which applied with the Remote Interface Unit Mark two's current assignment."

"We defiantly have to do something about her name." Spaz stated with a chuckle. "It is way more than a mouthful."

David looked at Spaz and smiled. "Yeah, I'll give it some thought. Mainframe what is a Querithon?"

"A Querithon is a small one man craft with stealth and invisibility functionality. It also has a small cargo area and its own personal beaming technology. However the beaming devise has a very short range and must have an external sensor in order to lock onto any object other than its pilot."

"Ah ok, and what is the nature of the Interface Unit's current assignment?" David asked as he sat at one of the stations along the side of the holographic 3D map.

Spaz started to take a seat at the station next to David but stopped and stared at David in shock as the Mainframe Replied. "I am sorry Commander that is currently beyond your clearance level or command authorization. I am unable to answer your inquiry."

"Beyond his clearance level and command authorization!" Spaz sputtered as he came to his feet. "He is your Commander-in-Chief. Nothing is beyond his Clearance level!"

"That is not true Mr. Walker, Commander Jenkins has not assumed command of this vessel or the fleet and at this time he is the acting Commander-in-Chief. Until he assumes command he has no clearance level beyond anything directly involving the fight with the Morgalons or his recovery from the planet."

David shook his head and laid a hand on Spaz's shoulder, "let it go for now. Like I said, I need someone who can interpret all this better than we can. Have a seat and wait for the Remote Interface Unit. Once it gets back we will do this Assumption of Command Ceremony and we will start getting stuff done."


The Remote Interface Unit navigated the Querithon through the thick cloud cover. The sensors clearly displayed the craft that it was pursuing, the craft was an older model of the Querithon, with less effective cloaking technology that was easily picked up on the newer sensor array of the Remote Interface Units craft. The two ships streaked through the sky invisible to the surveillance systems of the area. The Interface Unit banked its Querithon to angle the ship so that it was visually hidden from the other craft in the sun. As the two vessels broke from the cloud cover it could see they had left the mainland and were headed out to sea, it could also get a clear visual of the other craft. It was an older model Querithon much larger than the current model. The model had not been actively used in the Kreg'ar military forces for about fifty years; it also appeared to have suffered quite a bit of battle damage recently. Its rear laser turret was sheared off and there were quite a few pieces of armor plating missing from the left wing exposing its internal workings to the air. The interface Unit engaged its visual cloaking system and sharply descended its craft to come directly behind the other. Switching the sensor array to scan the inside of the craft, The Unit was able to detect three life forms, one in the cockpit and two faint readings coming from the cargo area. All three life forms detected as both human and Kreg'ar. "Intriguing."

It engaged the autopilot and set it to match the heading and velocity of the other craft. They had to be heading to a base or vessel somewhere and the Remote Interface Unit needed to complete its mission before they got there. It stood up from the flight controls and headed to a small door at the rear of the cockpit. The door slid open revealing a small empty cargo area. The unit grabbed two palm sized sensory devices as it approached a control pad on the rear wall. Narrowing the sensor readings into the cargo area of the other craft, the Remote Interface Unit was able to locate a clear spot and activated the transport interface, with a flash of light the unit disappeared from the cargo area.

As the interface unit appeared in the cargo area of the other craft, it acted quickly, knowing the sensor alarms had already notified the pilot of this craft that it had arrived on board the vessel. The unit activated and tossed the two sensory devices onto the two Stasis chambers that took up most of the cargo compartment of the ship, as each device hit a stasis bed, it stuck fast to the bed and began sending a signal to the home craft. With a flash the two beds vanished. The door to the cockpit slid open just as the unit engaged its own personal transport device. There was enough time for the person coming out of the cockpit and the unit to see each other and the unit to wave at the new comer before it too vanished.

The unit arrived in its cargo area and quickly headed to the cockpit. Hopping into the pilot seat it quickly banked the craft away form the other vessel. While setting a course for the main ship the Interface Unit engaged the transport scrambler and then began to analyze the mission data. The last thought that went through the units mind as they headed out of the atmosphere, as it recalled the pilot of the other craft was. "My God, that was me!"


David was pacing the bridge when the signal from the Interface Unit came in, "Mainframe this is the Remote Interface Unit Mark II, mission is complete but there were difficulties. Engage defensive protocols and scramble all Kreg'ar teleporters and sensory frequencies until further notice."

David stopped pacing and looked over at Spaz. Spaz sat in his chair his face going pale. "Remote Interface Unit, this is Commander Jenkins what is going on and why are you engaging the defensive protocols. Have you detected another Morgalon presence?"

"Commander, it can't be Morgalons, the Remote Interface Unit would not be scrambling Kreg'ar sensors and teleporters if it was Morgalons." Spaz Stated as he stood up and headed for one of the consoles by the main tactical display.

"Commander Jenkins please refrain from communication with the Remote Interface Unit at this time, Mission parameters are still in effect. Mr. Walker please step away from the tactical console, you do not have the necessary clearance at this time." The Mainframes voice echoed from the bridge speakers. "Remote Interface Unit, uncleared personnel are present, I am going to internal speakers."

David and Spaz took their previous seats and waited impatiently for word from the Mainframe or the Remote Interface Unit. After fifteen minutes the voice of the Mainframe came across the bridge speakers once again. "Commander Jenkins the Remote Interface Unit's mission is complete and the unit is on its way to the bridge, please prepare yourself for the assumption of command ceremony."

David and Spaz stood up as the lift doors opened revealing the Remote Interface Unit Mark II. It was dressed in a similar uniform as David, except like Spaz it had no epaulets on its collar, and it was wearing a knee length skirt instead of trousers. David also noticed the cut of the uniform enhanced the Remote Interface Units feminine features. "You look very nice, It is definitely different from the other outfits I have seen you in." David said, as Spaz whistled softly.

"Thank you sir. The Kreg'ar were a feline species, most of their clothing was designed to enhance their grace and to revel in their baser instincts." The unit replied with a smile as it approached David.

The holographic image used to represent the ship's Mainframe appeared on the deck between David and the Remote Interface Unit. As it appeared it began to speak. "We are gathered here today to initiate the assumption of command of David Jenkins as the Commander-in-Chief of the Earth Defense Force and of three Kreg'ar vessels that will be the start of the Earth Defense Fleet."

"Wait a second." David interrupted. "Three ships?"

"Yes sir." Replied the Mainframe. "The other two vessels, a Kreg'ar Battleship and a Kreg'ar Star Cruiser are in orbit of Mars awaiting orders and crew."

"Wow, this is definitely getting more and more interesting by the minute." Spaz stated as he stood behind David. "Just exactly how many crew members does it take to run all these ships?"

"It differs based on the sip, Mr. Walker but at this time that information is..." the Mainframe started.

"Classified above my clearance, I got it lets get on with the ceremony then." Spaz interrupted.

David gave Spaz a crooked grin and turned back to the Mainframes hologram, as he did so the Mainframe once again began to speak. "We are gathered here today to initiate the assumption of command of David Jenkins as the Commander-in-Chief of the Earth Defense Force and of three Kreg'ar vessels that will be the start of the Earth Defense Fleet. Who here can speak for David Jenkins as to his qualifications to assume command of the Fleet?"

"I can." The Remote Interface Unit stated "I am Remote Interface Unit Mark II currently of the Earth Defense Force and Mission Commander. David Jenkins has been found to have strong command instincts, has Kreg'ar heritage and is the direct descendent of the senior most ranking Kreg'ar to be assigned to this sector."

The Mainframe turned towards the Remote Interface Unit. "Are you prepared to relinquish your status as Mission Commander and swear loyalty to David Jenkins as Commander-in-Chief of the Earth Defense Force?"

"I am." The Unit stated standing up straighter as it did so.

"Who from earth swears for David Jenkins?"

"I do." State Spaz with a grin "I am a former member of the United States Air Force, currently medically retired. I speak for the people of Earth in favor of David Jenkins."

The Mainframe turned to Spaz. "Are you prepared to relinquish all prior loyalties to all nations or organizations of the planet Earth and swear loyalty to David Jenkins as your Commander –in-Chief of the Earth Defense Force?"

"I AM!" Spaz stated.

The Mainframe turned towards David. "David Jenkins, are you prepared to accept the loyalty of the Kreg'ar and Earth representatives and assume command of the Earth Defense Forces?"

"I am."

"Then I herby proclaim that as of 3117:19:36 Galactic standard time David Jenkins of the Planet Earth is now Commander-in-Chief of the Earth Defense Force. Sir please name your vessels."

David looked from the Remote Interface Unit to the Mainframe. "I herby designate this ship the Earth Defense Vessel Lanvy, after the last of the Kreg'ar scientists who created the fleets and programmed the AI's contained within. The Battleship I designate the Earth Defense Vessel Riu, and the Cruiser I Designate the Earth Defense Vessel Excalibur."

"Designations recorded, Welcome aboard the EDV Lanvy Commander Jenkins what are your orders." The Lanvy replied as it stared at David.

David looked at Spaz and winked. "My orders? Hmmmm, well Lanvy how familiar are you with earth military structure?"

"Quite familiar sir, I have downloaded as much data as I could collect from the sources I discovered on the internet. Much of it was contradictory and illogical, but I was able to filter it and eliminate the irrelevant and incorrect."

"Good, I have some questions I need answered before I can proceed. What are the capabilities of this vessel? How many passengers and crew can it carry, what is its armament, how much military hardware does it contain and what types?"

The Remote Interface Unit stepped up to David as it replied. "Allow me to answer that question sir. At full power and capacity the Lanvy can house ten thousand passengers and crew for one year. At its current power levels however it currently can only support a complement of approximately three hundred and fifty personnel. Many of the ships systems are shut down and most decks are offline. The Lanvy traveled for many years without any crew and most of its current systems are in need of maintenance."

David turned towards the Remote Interface Unit with a surprised look on his face. "Why are the energy reserves so low, what does this vessel run on?" He asked.

"The Lanvy runs on Hyper Fusion energy cells which are recharged using matter to energy conversion, with solar power as a backup. Unfortunately most of the Hyper Fusion chambers have gone offline and the solar cells are in need of maintenance."

"That is not good, so what about armaments and hardware?"

"The Lanvy Has forty rail batteries, fifteen torpedo bays and sixty laser arrays, it was one of the most heavily armed vessels in the old Kreg'ar fleet. It has full Phasonic Shielding and Anti-Kinetic Armor Plating. The Lanvy carries three hundred long range Querithon class Stealth Fighters, two hundred Felderon Class Heavy Fighters, One hundred Felderon Class Heavy Bombers, eleven hundred Quill Class Short Range Fighters, sixty shuttle craft, four hundred Mercer Ion Power Armor Suits, and arms and armament for two thousand infantry personnel."

David starred at The Remote Interface Unit in shock as she read off the capabilities of the Lanvy. "Wow that is a lot. Where do I begin?"

Spaz lifted his hand to get David's attention. "David, if I may? From what the R I U has said it sounds to me like you have the makings of an Army, Space Force, Navy and Marine core in this ship alone."

David turned towards Spaz. "How do you mean?"

"Well sir, The ship and its crew would definitely be best run in the naval style, it is after all a ship and that's what the navy has always excelled at. Your fighters however should be under a Space Force or basically a version of the Air Force. I know the Navy has their own fighters, but once again fighters is what the Air or Space Force excel at, Your Power Armor forces sound to me like Space Marines and the Infantry has always been the Army's purview.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.