Future Imperfect - Cover

Future Imperfect

Copyright© 2010 by Fast Turtle

Prologue

Although she was killed in the line of duty when I was 12, our sis found a way to keep protecting us through life insurance. It was large enough to build a new home on the 20 acres she'd bought for retirement and six weeks after the funeral, we moved out there and started building. Because of her belief in protecting us, she taught all of us how to safely shoot a gun and we'd bought several of them for protection and hunting.

2 yrs ago, I had read a 40 yr old Prophetic Sociology Paper titled "Hell's Kitchen" that scared me, about our society going down the drain. It predicted the growing police and political corruption with our biggest cities being overrun by gangs fighting to see who'll be top dog and our smaller cities eventually seeing the same problems.

Click - This is ABC World News:

More attacks occurred along the border during the night with over 50 attackers dead announced the Border Patrol. 2 million people have been without power in El Paso/Juarez since 2 am. Once again, protests against the border closings in Juarez escalated into Riots overnight. Property damage is estimated at 5 million Pesos. In local news, demands have increased once again for an Investigation into the construction delays and cost overruns of the nuclear plant in Hatch, New Mexico. It is now estimated to be 32 months behind schedule and 500 million over budget. Local News is Next

Click

Being indoors was a relief as the air was much cleaner inside due to features developed by the Biosphere projects. Saying" Mom I'll take you into town this afternoon but you're going to need your mask as the crap is blowing up from Mexico again" before laying down for a nap.

Due to the growing pollution, our farms couldn't provide enough food to feed everyone now, our health was going downhill and companies still refused to do anything because it cost money. Yet I still dreamed that someday soon, I'd be able to move the family someplace with clean air, water and soil but knew it was only a dream because anything that affected the bottom line or profits was anathema to the corps who had the money and political clout not to care.


God damn tinnitus I think as my ringing ear wakes me again. Sticking my thumb in the damn thing, I decide to hold my hand as a telephone and see if anyone will answer this time. Saying Hello only to get a Good, you're finally there. What the... ? I've got a deal you simply can't refuse. Go away and bother Picard "Q" I say.

I Am Not "Q" although I can understand your annoyance with that penny ante fool.

Then who are you?

"I am ... Erhh - it's been so long since I last heard it that I have forgotten my own name - no matter. What I am offering is One Wish and it can be as complex as you want. You may ask questions before making it and I will tell you if I cannot do what you want, though unlike that fool "Q" there is little in the Multi-verse that I am unable to do."

Multi-verse? Is that what we call Parallel Universes? Although Parallel Universes are part of it, the multi-verse encompasses far more possibilities So you could move me and those I love someplace that we like or you can bring tech from there to here?

"Either is possible but you must know that some places do not exist or are unreachable."

Most of what I want is theoretically possible and comes from what we call Science Fiction. I prefer the stories that include a solid basis in fact and theory and that are generally thought of as Hard Core Sci-Fi. Many of these stories involve the "What If" element and explore both the good and bad possibilities of technology.

The first element involves the so called "Psychic" abilities of which I want Telepathy, Telekinesis, Technopathy Both telepathy and telekinesis already exist in your race but technopathy requires some growth before it will be a possibility. I can give it to you but it will require rewiring of your brain to do so. Damn! I don't know if I'm willing to go that far but thank you for that info. What about Multilingualism (reading/writing/speaking) every language?

The speaking is easy as it is a refinement of telepathy. Combining it with reading and writing though is interesting as no one has ever requested that combination before

One ability I desire is Accelerated Healing with the addition of Regeneration. I'm not concerned with a fast regeneration, just the ability to repair/regrow organs/limbs and is it possible to add immunity from all diseases?

"It's easy to expand the existing regeneration ability but while possible, immunity requires enough change that you would no longer be able to breed with your original species - a technological solution is preferred"

Nice to know that about regeneration, as to immunity, I already have a technological solution in mind.

One ability that I've personal experience with is Precognition. What I would like to have is a precognitive ability that is quantum in its scope; showing all possible futures.

You already recognize precognitive events?

I do - though it is usually after the fact. I have recognized a precognitive event early enough to respond appropriately.

"Strange - your species does possess a limited Precognitive ability yet as with all of the Psychic Powers, there is great disbelief in them."

So is it possible to expand my Precognitive ability to see all futures?"?

"Since you are already capable of it, it's is feasible since it would simply be an expansion of an existing ability"

Good! An ability that goes well with Quantum Precognition is Path Finding. It is also required for teleporting myself or objects where I desire instead of the middle of a wall or star yet I do not know if it's a psychic ability.

"Looking at your species, I see many examples of it, yet cannot identify whether it is a psychic or innate ability. Very Strange. It will take more investigation on my part to determine if it can be expanded in the manner you wish."

Of the fictional abilities - "Rogue" from the X-men comic books, has one that I'd like if possible. It's her ability to borrow/learn another's capability through touch. Unlike her though, I want total control over the ability and the default to be off.

"There is a universe where the X-Men actually exist and looking at her and the others I see that they are not related to your species even though they are humanoid. It can be given but will require significant genetic changes."

Thank you for that information even though it is disappointing. I'll leave that one alone.

Of the Technology I'm interested in, it is derived from a series of stories called the "Swarm Cycle" posted at Stories Online. The Confederacy uses nanotech for its manufacturing and medical services and I want one of their Industrial Replicators plus a Colony AI system with expanded storage filled with their entire knowledgebase including all of their replicator patterns.

Place these in a 90 cubic meter chamber, 100 meters below ground at Easter Island that is only accessible by teleportation - either of my own ability or through their transporter technology. I also want a single portable transporter terminus for family use. Include a cargo transporter terminus in the floor of my garage.

"I've located the universe where the technology exists and can grab the items you desire - as to the chamber that is simple and can be accomplished in moments"

As part of the technology transfer, I also want two of our vehicles transferred to the chamber, the Volkswagen Beetle and Van as I will use the AI and replicator to recreate all vehicles to my specifications.

"On the vehicle relocation, that too is a simple."

One final question involves Reincarnation. What I want is to ensure that all of my memories, knowledge, skills and abilities are transferred to a body with the same number of limbs, height and weight with that body given full access to them until I finally desire to end.

"It is feasible but is not something that I can ensure will work as you desire. One thing that will not be possible is the transfer of any technology that you have gathered or created but the transference of your life-force and accumulated knowledge is possible."

So everything I've asked is possible even if it has serious disadvantages?

"The answer is 42"

What?

Oh you wanted to review your wish before making it - Yes, all that you have asked is possible.

I Wish for

  • Telekinesis with a 500 Kg and 50 Ly range

  • Telepathy with limited Mind Control

  • Accelerated Healing with Regeneration

  • Quantum Precognition

  • Path Finding

  • Multilingualism

  • Reincarnation

  • The creation of a 90 cubic meter chamber, 100 meters below ground at Easter Island

  • transference of the Volkswagen Beetle, Van, one Confederacy Industrial Replicator, one Confederacy Med-Pod and a Confederacy AI with the entire Confederacy Knowledgebase and all Confederacy replicator patterns into the new chamber

  • A Single portable Confederacy Transporter Terminus on my desk plus a cargo transporter terminus placed in the center of the garage floor

Wish Granted I wonder how he'll do in the future.


I see both cars in the middle of the chamber with a simple cube with one face having multiple warning labels that I guess is the input side of the replicator and opposite it, an opening, square in shape reaching almost to the edges of the cubes face that was about half way through the cube. Suddenly a voice asks

Why am I not in a standard Colony Pod?

There are several reasons I answer the voice, assuming it is the AI. First is that this is a secure location, accessible only by transporter or by my personal ability to teleport. Second - this is a parallel universe and there are no Sa'arrm here. Third is that I have not decided if I want to expand you further.

I am planning on using the replicator to construct a Mk 2.5 habitat pod then teleport it to the asteroid belt along with the replicator where it will begin construction of a manufacturing replicator. Once that is completed, the industrial replicator will be returned here while the manufacturing replicator begins constructing either a space-dock or MMC (mobile manufacturing complex) but before anything else gets done, I have a name for you.

A Name? Why should I need a name I am an AI."

It is almost a cultural imperative for American's to name things. Be it people, places or even things. At this time I wish to designate you as Socrates. This allows me to identify when I'm talking with you. All future AI's will receive names based upon their facility name.

Acknowledge - Unit Designation changed to Socrates

Now from the replicator, I'll need some seating. Please select something to fabricate. The next item is a PDA. I want it to look similar to the current Apple iPad - do you have a pattern like it?

Nothing like the iPad

Damn. That means we'll have to design one up. Will that be an issue as the only area's I'm concerned with are the exterior size, display and auxiliary ports such as USB and such.

There's no problem adjusting size and features of the PDA. I can combine several into a design the replicator can produce.

Okay, then the physical size needs to be 24 centimeters by 32 centimeters. The display needs to meet the UXGA (1600x1200) 4:3 ratio with true color capability and needs to be 22 centimeters by 30 centimeters. Enable Rotation between Landscape (4:3) and Portrait (3:4) with Landscape being the default. Include a minimum of 3 USB ports, a memory card reader capable of Micro-SD/SD/MMC cards, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity, HD Cam capable of recording 1080p video, microphone and headphone jacks, Slot Loading optical drive capable of handling Blu-Ray, DVD and CD's. Include a docking port that can recharge it from standard current. Install the maximum memory and storage consistent with a 12 hour minimum run time. Also include a biometric locking system.

Once that is completed, construct a med-pod and set this as the standard augmentation package. Note that only life threatening repairs are authorized not cosmetic changes including limb regeneration. Vision corrected to at least 20/10. Visual range extended from Near Infrared and up to UV-A frequencies. Hearing limit will be normalized to 20KHz. Last install a full Nanite suite.

For volunteers, Regress their physical age as close to 20 years as possible w/o cosmetic changes. For females who have reached menopause - the regression is not to restart their reproductive system.

"Starting construction of a chair for you. Completion time is 45 seconds followed by the PDA - completion time is 2minutes 7 seconds. 46 minutes to completion of standard med-pod."

Thank you Socrates. One question I have revolves around your self-repair and construction capabilities. Do you actually have any or is a replicator of some sort required to provide you with them?

The standard colony AI arrangement consists of a Mk-2 pod with a basic replicator.

I need the weight in kilograms of the industrial replicator. If it is light enough, I can teleport it without using an amplifier, otherwise I'll need the parts for an amplifier.

The industrial Replicator weighs 1238 Kg. What is a MK 2.5 pod?

Damn! Too heavy for me to teleport it without an amplifier. I'll have to assemble it while the two vehicles are being recreated. The Mk 2.5 pod differs from the standard Mk 2 pod due to a larger power supply. Shield and thruster strength is increased by 200 percent. Gravity plates and Inertial Dampening are included plus there is a Transporter station and twin med-pods while life support capacity is doubled.

The minimum power supply required is 2.5Mw as included in the Mk 2.5 pod.

So I can transfer you to a standard Mk 2.5 pod when I have a spare

Is there an advantage to moving the replicator using telekinesis?

Secrecy
Even a heavily stealthed transport may draw attention to this facility and I wish to avoid that as long as possible. Can the transporter reach a habitat pod in the asteroid belt?

With a 2.5Mw reactor installed, two way transporter use is available. Otherwise the pod transporter is one way only.

Explain that please.

The 2.5Mw reactor is the smallest available to fit a Mk 2.5 pod. The improvement over the Mk 2 pod is that of a continuous power output, limited only by available fuel. The Mk 2 pod uses a battery system that can be quickly drained of stored power.

Using the batteries of a Mk2 pod, a standard transporter is limited to a 10Km range and 2 transports in an emergency. With the 2.5Mw reactor, that range is extended to 30 Light minutes and as many transports as fuel provides.

Next we'll need the parts to an FT and T generator. Once that is completed, I'll move the replicator out to the asteroid belt to begin assembly of a manufacturing replicator. Then it will construct a Mark 2.5 pod with this layout. The upper level will have 2 pairs of bedrooms with each pair separated by a bath. The two pairs will be separated by 3 meters centered upon the grav-lift. The additional space will be configured as a small gathering space with tables and chairs. The lower level will have two half-baths with sink/toilet, an office, the primary replicator and dining area. Place alcoves on opposite sides of the entry - one to hold the transporter station the other holds the two med-pods. Once finished, I will transport to it with the amplifier for my telekinetic ability and then return the industrial replicator and begin creation of multiple stealth comm. satellites before beginning work on a proper pod for you.

Thank You for considering my need for a proper pod. The current setup does appear safe but I do worry about security.

Secrecy and Security are why this chamber is only accessible by transporter or teleportation.

"Completion of Med-Pod in 37 minutes"

What? When did you start the med-pod?

"8 minutes ago - with enough raw materials, an industrial replicator can assemble a single med-pod in 45 minutes and 15 seconds"

I better get moving I think to myself before moving both cars out of the middle of the chamber.


Okay Socrates, what does my scan show?

Current repair time exceeds 28 hours.

What's the most dangerous issue right now?

That is the overall damage to your heart and lungs. To correct only that will require 6 hours but will provide a major improvement in general health.

You mean cleaning my plumbing and making sure the lungs are clear will take 6 hours?

No. The 6 hours includes fixing your heart. Cleaning your plumbing and fixing your lungs will only take 2 hours by itself - the 28 hours include fixing your vision and hearing, clearing the arthritis and neuropathic damage along with rejuvenating you to a physical age of 20.

How much time if we add the vision and hearing repairs?

Total time is 8 hours to complete.

Then we'll add the vision and hearing repairs plus the maintenance nanites. Program them to a minimal level as the only thing they will be doing is disease prevention. While the repairs are being done, begin construction as specified on the van first, then the bug and last will be the Tracker.


Grabbing the portable terminus, I head to the family room where I place it in front of the fireplace while calling a family meeting.

Do you see the silver pad in front of the fireplace? Mike I want you to walk over there and across it. Don't stop moving when you get there. "Why?" You'll see.

What? Where'd he go Aaron - mom screamed at me. He just beamed out. That is a transporter disk and he's now in my command center. I want you to do the same thing he did. Simply walk across it and keep moving since I'll be right behind you. It took me a bit of chivying her but soon enough she stepped over the terminus and was beamed into the chamber.

Welcome to the command center a voice booms out of the air.

What the shout in stereo. "Who's that?" Sorry for the surprise. Mom, Mike please meet Socrates. He's the Command AI and can answer questions when I'm not here. Mom demands, "How'd you get all this Aaron?"

It's a strange tale, last night, my ear started ringing so I answered the damn thing. Sure wasn't expecting a reply and damn near fell off the light when I did. The short form - I was granted a single wish and this is part of it.

See that cube with the ball sticking out? That's a replicator - uses nanites to build just about anything. Right now it's building a Mk 2.5 habitat pod though I'll get to why later. Once that's done, The Goose, Herbie and Scooter are going to be recreated with several safety features and now that I have a way, I'm increasing the protections on Mike and you.

This here is a med-pod that can heal almost anything if you can get to it and as part of the protection I want both of you to climb in one of them right now. It'll rebuild you from the inside out and make you fit and sassy. It'll take a full day for treatment but it means you'll be ready for almost anything.

Make a note Socrates. We're going to need emergency medical supplies. Smart bandages and such that can stabilize people long enough to get them into a pod.

Noted Aaron

Yea, we do have a habit of naming things, even things that really have no purpose in being named other than to identify their function.

"Aaron - why are you going to fix the Goose and Herbie?"

Mom! With how bad things are getting, the damn gangs, police corruption, pollution and the fucking attacks across the border, I want all of us to be as safe as possible even though some things are still in the air. All three cars will have a limited AI like KITT from the Knight Rider show and they'll be electric but what else I'm including - Gahh! I don't know yet.

I'm planning on using the Goose for long trips. He'll get a bubble top like George had plus I'm hiding a replicator in the icebox/sink unit. I'm also planning on a transporter pad in the middle for evacuation. Don't want to use it but it'll be there if needed. He's going to get full A/C as I want to be comfortable while out there and the engine compartment is going to disappear because the motors will be at the wheels. Herbie get's A/C but I haven't even thought beyond that yet. Hell I don't even know what extra's Scooter is getting but he gets something. While both of you are in the pods, I'm going to be working with Socrates on how the cars will be recreated.


With Socrates help, I'm now working on cutting pollution around the world but it's going to take a lot of work. The first idea was a fuel cell. We've got several under development but none of them on the market. I'm going to change that and the fuel cells have to become as common as light bulbs to really make a difference. What Socrates has found for me in his records was a fuel cell that we can produce with our level of tech. The biggest part of it is the catalyst used, which is from common aluminum. There's just a slight difference between it an aluminum cans so recycled aluminum is going to be usable. The biggest problem has been you can't simply pull into a gas station and refuel, yet we've solved that since the fuel we'll use is Diesel. Sure it's not perfect but it does allow us to use the damn stations and make the transition to hybrid/fuel cell power cars without pain. The other element is that we're not fighting the Oil Companies, who will come after us, either to buy the patents or shut us down.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.