Robert Jenkins
Chapter 23

Copyright© 2010 by rougher63

Grandfather picked me up at the airport. Grandfather rarely drove and I was surprised to see him. "I hope your people enjoy New Orleans as much as we did. Next winter, let's make sure and go again."

"How are you doing?"

"Pretty well. I'm packed; just in case we get the call about Brooke. I'm going to miss Richard and Jan."

I said, "They're going to miss you too."

"Can't be helped. We've been invited to tour Westminster Village this afternoon and eat there tonight. They're supposed to have the best food around here. It's their premium night, prime rib night, so they should be at their best."

"Are you thinking about moving to Westminster Village?"

"Maybe? There are some nice people there. I don't know how much longer I can keep being productive at the firm."

"Do what you enjoy? It's your firm, work as little or as much as you want. I know you love what you've built."

"I hope to keep it in the family. I miss your father. It should have been his. Are you going to be able to generate enough work to keep Richard busy? I'm concerned his new business will have a rough go."

I said, "I'm going to try."

"Bessie tells me that Jan would like a house on the river where she can fish and have a garden. I'd like to get that place for them. Would you make it happen?"

"I will get right on it."

He asked, "Maybe Bessie could help out with them?"

"You want me to speak with Bessie?"

He nodded. "Your doctors talked to me. They think you will be back to normal soon."

"I'm moving in the right direction, but it wasn't all the medication. I went a bit wild and part of it was thrilling. I have to be careful not to slip back, because it was also destructive."

He nodded. "Could we take a boat out? I like to get out on the water."

"We're members of the yacht club. We can rent a sailboat there."

We went to the yacht club and rented a sailboat. We sailed it on the bay.

"Would you mind if I went up to your compound on the Vineyard this summer? I've gotten to like the water again. I prefer the Vineyard to the Hamptons. I'd like to be on the ocean again."

"It's not far in the plane. We can go out there any time you want."

"The plane is nice. Do you want something better?"

I said, "I like her fine. She fits me well. I'm lucky to have her. I like flying better than sailing, but I enjoy both. We should take the boat out this summer."

"I take it that things are better with Dorothy?"

"Much better. We're developing business independent from the bank and law firm; mostly in real estate related businesses. I'm trying to draw on our real estate experience in the City. I thinking about expanding upon what Richard's doing and developing a construction business."

"I hate to see it, but I think it's wise for you to have an area independent of Will's interests. I'm concerned about his direction."

We put in at our dock at the bayhouse. Grandfather said, "That's enough for me. You can take her back. She not much compared to your boats on the Vineyard."

"It was good to get out on the water."

Grandfather said, "I know it's not as nice as what we have up North, but I like it here."

"You're preaching to the choir."

He nodded. "You have time to see Ania before we go to eat."

I took the boat back and went to Ania's.

Ania said, "I did like you said, I hired an instructor to give me an accelerated real estate class. I even passed the licensing exam. I'm working on appraiser license, but it takes more time."

"Good"

She handed me a ledger.

"Do you like bookkeeping?"

"It's necessary. I'm glad I know how to do it."

"From the accounts, everything appears to be doing well."

She nodded.

"Grandfather and I are going to Westminster Village for a tour and supper with some of his friends."

"Could you come by later?"

I said, "I will. After Grandfather turns in; let's go down to the bar at Weeks Bay."

"I'll be ready."

It took almost thirty minutes to get to Westminster Village. We went on a tour of the facility, which was nice, but the rooms were very small. We heard their sales pitch. Cost wasn't a concern to us. Grandfather could easily afford around the clock private nursing care.

As we left I said, "It's not like your apartment on Park Avenue."

"Not hardly; but my friends say you adjust quickly and everything is convenient and close."

I met his two friends. One was a retired Naval JAG officer. The other formerly had owned an engineering firm. They were widowers. We had supper in a large dining room. Evenings were order from the menu, while noon was a cafeteria setup service. The tables were mostly four person square tables with a few larger round tables. Along the windows were two person tables. There were a number of single women; most of whom ate together at the large round tables.

The residents all looked very nice. Westminster Village drew the upper middle class people in the Mobile area. Many were Presbyterians; a few were retired Presbyterian ministers.

The retired naval officer said, "The food is better here than the best senior officers' mess I had in the Navy. The staff is friendly and very nice. We have a small exercise facility, but there are plans for a larger one with an exercise pool across the street. The grounds are well maintained and maintenance comes quickly if there is a problem in the apartment. The only problem I have is from overeating."

The former engineer said, "And all the old women around."

The former naval officer said, "They are your age. And they are more than you could handle."

"True, very true; but a gentleman wouldn't point that out." They laughed.

I said, "It looks like you don't get lonely here."

The engineer said, "You hit it on the head. Good food and nice surrounding, but best of all, there are nice people and a sense of community. I'm encouraged to stay active."

Grandfather said, "I wish it weren't so far to Fairhope."

"It is much closer to Mobile and medical facilities, because we are close to the bridge to Mobile; but it is thirty minutes from Fairhope."

Grandfather said, "I would miss sitting on the porch and watching the bay."

I said, "Gentlemen, it was nice to meet you. Grandfather speaks highly of you."

We said our goodbyes and I drove us back to the bayhouse.

When we went got back, we sat on the porch. "I've imposed on you too much asking you to come down here every weekend. I'm keeping you from the social life of the college."

"I get plenty of social life during the week. I wouldn't trade coming here and being with you for anything."

Grandfather said, "I going to turn in. I have a few things to finish up before I go back."

I dressed in jeans and a soft work shirt for the bar at Weeks Bay and drove the pickup to Ania's house.

"How did it go at Westminster Village?"

"Nice people and good food, but it's too far from here. Grandfather likes to sit on the porch. I don't think he is ready yet."

"Without Richard and Jan being with him, he's going to get lonely at the bayhouse."

"A community of friends is the one thing he doesn't have here; and outside of work, he doesn't have many friends in New York."

"I've never been to the bar at Weeks Bay. What's it like?"

"It's kind of a waterfront, neighborhood bar, with the neighborhood being a mix of ranchers, farmers, watermen, and college kids. The music is kind of a mixture of country and college band rock and roll."

We drove down. She felt right at home immediately. Ania fit better than I did. I bought a few pitchers of beer for our table. Some of the divorcees and couples she felt comfortable with joined us at a big table.

They had a band made up of college kids from Southern Mississippi. The leader's sister worked at the bar. Slow Moses played there fairly often.

Ania said, "I love this place. I'm like it better than the Grand Hotel."

And that sums our problem being together.

We left at midnight.

Ania said, "I'd like to go back."

I nodded.

She said, "I didn't mean by myself. I meant that I think it's a nice place for us to go. I'd like to get out some."

"I knew what you meant. It's a nice place. When I'm here, we'll try to go one night a weekend."

She nodded.

I asked, "What would you think about staying in my house in Tuscaloosa and training with Dorothy this summer?"

"I guess that would be alright. Would Dorothy be willing to train me? She going to have a baby pretty soon isn't she?"

"Some time in July, late July I think" I paused, "She has some part time help; an accountant and a secretary. I'd like for you to be her Baldwin County assistant; her eyes and ears here. There's probably going to be a coed staying in the house in Tuscaloosa too. She's going to be an elementary teacher in North Alabama in the fall; and this summer, she staying to add art to her teacher's certificate. She'd like to be an art teacher, but there aren't many openings in art. She's nice; I'm sure you would get along."

She didn't ask but I could see the question: Another girlfriend?

Saturday morning, I helped Grandfather finish up a project in his office. We ate at the country club at noon. Saturday afternoon we went sailing.

Grandfather asked, "Should I go to Thornton's graduation?"

"I don't think so. Eunice is having a cookout/party at their house after the hooding ceremony. I'm going by. We're coming up the next day."

"Will the girl from Alabama be around this summer?"

"Karen?" I thought a couple seconds and then said, "She's probably going home to be in the Miss Alabama contest. I should call and find out. She may need a way home."

When we got back to the bayhouse, I tried to call Karen. When I found that she didn't have a phone, I called the doorman at grandfather's apartment house and asked him to send a messenger. He delivered the message himself that I would be bringing Grandfather up Saturday, and would be coming up when Brooke had the baby. I offered to take her home in the plane, if she were ready then. I asked her to call me collect at nine and gave her my number.

At eight, Karen called. We talked briefly. She said she would be ready to go home in two weeks and if it were alright to stay in the apartment, she could wait until Brooke delivered.

Saturday night after Grandfather went to bed, Bill, Winston and I went to the VFW. We had a couple of drinks; Famous Grouse for Bill, Jack Daniels for Winston, and Buffalo Rock for me. Sitting around a bar drinking wasn't my idea of a good time. I was home at ten and then went to Ania's.

Sunday, Grandfather and I went to church. We had lunch at the Grand Hotel and then talked on the porch at the bayhouse until it was time to go to the airport. Grandfather took me to the airport a little before two. I flew to New Orleans and picked up Thornton, Eunice, Fred and Dorothy.

"How was it?"

Dorothy said, "Really fun. You were right about the guide; he was fabulous."

Eunice said, "We ate at some of the best out of the way restaurants I've ever seen. We had Cajun and plain colored cooking. He knows the best places to eat and stay."

Fred said, "We went to Pete Fountain's, Al Hurt's, and Preservation Hall."

Eunice said, "And we got you a Hurricane Glass at Pat O'Brien's."

"Did you find a place to buy?"

Dorothy said, "No, I decided it was smarter to rent. We reserved them the cutest balcony room in the place where we stayed. The location is perfect; the innkeepers were great and very friendly. They will love it."

Thornton asked, "How's your grandfather?"

"He's anxious about leaving Jan and Richard. We looked at Westminster Village, but he likes the water and the bayhouse too much. It's a possible though when he is ready to retire from the firm. I'm going to take him back to the City Saturday."

Eunice asked, "Any word on Brooke?"

"Two or three weeks is the best guess."

Eunice said, "Does she need any help?"

"Erin is there now. Will has a nurse and nanny lined up. Brooke's mother is ready to come. Erin has the guesthouse at Roselawns ready for Brooke's parents and the Hamptons house is ready too."

We landed a little after five and my passengers split for their homes. I had two more seats taken out and stored. I took care of the plane. They put it where I could get to her at any time.

I called the answering service from the airfield. I didn't have any messages. I drove home and fixed sweet & sour pork on rice with the sauce that Brooke had sent. I rowed, and then relaxed in the Jacuzzi. I had missed the sweet & sour pork dish. I worked quant and accounting problems, and then turned in early.

Monday morning, I met with Dr. Kromboltz between my classes. I knew I had made progress. He made a few suggestions. Following up on his suggestions, I contacted Brooke and checked on Mother. I knew I made A's on my accounting and quant tests. I knew the material cold. I thought I had improved my scores enough to get all A's again.

At lunch at the fraternity, Cathryn said, "I talked with Eunice and Thornton last night. I decided that I want to get married after graduation. We're going to talk about it at chapter meeting tomorrow night to see if I can use the sorority house. If they turn me down, may we have it at your house?"

"You are welcome to my house for the rehearsal, the wedding, the reception, for houseguests or whatever. I have no doubt the DKE house would be available too."

"I'd love to get married outside here and have the reception at Kappa."

"We need to let the brothers know. They will want to be here."

When we asked the chapter president, he responded, "We will do whatever is necessary. I'll ask for volunteers to paint and fix up."

"Before you do that, let me call and see if I can get a crew of painters. I don't want brothers neglecting their classes here at the end."

Cathryn said, "This is a special place for me because of the way you've treated me this year. And I know it's a special place for Chuck. It will be an inconvenience to the brothers and I appreciate that they would allow it. Please accept my thanks and tell the brothers how much I appreciate this way of ending my time as their sweetheart."

He said, "Tell me what the chapter can do. It will get done."

She kissed him on the cheek; Cathryn and I walked to the parlor.

Cathryn said, "I have a big favor to ask."

I nodded.

"Would you wear dress blues? I'd like a military wedding. I know you aren't fond of wearing the uniform."

"I'll get one if that's what you want."

I called Richard. "I need an emergency crew of painters to come to Tuscaloosa to paint a fraternity house. It's for Cathryn's wedding. She's the fraternity sweetheart from Spring Hill who I've talked about. It's three weeks to finals, a week for finals, and a week after that is graduation."

"We have an opening this week and next. I can send six men this evening. Do you have a place for them to stay?"

"They can stay at my house."

"They will be on the way, as soon as they can get packed."

When I got back from the phone, Colonel was at the table with Cathryn.

"My painters are on their way. We'll do the trim in the back, the inside downstairs, and then the rest of the outside trim."

Colonel said, "Cathryn told me about the wedding. I think it a grand idea. Many of the brothers in Chuck's class will be back for graduation anyway."

I said, "We need some help?"

"I'm at your service."

"Cathryn wants a military wedding and would prefer dress blues. I don't know anything about a military wedding."

"Dress blues is possible. Mess dress would be difficult."

"I don't have a dress uniform. Can I get dress blues off the shelf."

"We have some in Jackson. I'll make a few calls. Does Chuck have dress blues?"

"I don't know. I doubt it. I know his size."

"Probably we can have ROTC Cadets from the house hold swords for you to pass under. Pershing Rifles should have swords. I doubt if we have enough dress blues for them. They can wear their greens."

"I want Chuck and Rob in dress blues. Chuck's father is retired military. I'm sure he has dress blues. He's going to be Chuck's best man. My roommate will be my Maid of Honor and I'll ask Chuck's sister and have Rob escort her. We're kind of fluid after that. I don't know if Chuck has other groomsmen in mind."

I asked, "Does Chuck know?"

"We talked about it in Hawaii. How am I going to get the license?"

Colonel said, "A local judge can take care of that. Rob and I will take care of that for you. You're going to need help with the invitations."

Mom has our list. We just need to have them printed. My parents and grandparents have rooms reserved for graduation. It's going to be hard for Chuck's family to get a place to stay here."

"You have my house. They can have the rehearsal dinner there too."

Colonel said, "I can bring a construction crew from Lauderdale if Rob's people aren't enough."

I said, "If need be, I'll pull people from St. Joe's plants."

After Colonel left, she said, "I've haven't told Chuck; I'm off the pill."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.