Robert Jenkins
Chapter 20

Copyright© 2010 by rougher63

As soon as I got off the phone with Jane, I called Thornton.

"How's the house?"

"I'd rather be working. It's worse than Coach Bryant's Spring Practice. Eunice has a million things she wants done."

"Grandfather and I got to Fairhope last night. We had lunch with Chief Judge Oris Hider of the Circuit Court of Baldwin County today. He authorized Grandfather to practice in Baldwin County and for you to practice under Grandfather's supervision. Grandfather's lined up a part-time legal secretary too."

"He loves it too much to be away from it long; unlike me and this house stuff. You wouldn't believe how much she's spent on this house."

"Think about what Will's spent at Roselawns."

"Don't remind her. Does Mr. Jenkins want me to come down now?"

"No, but you better plan on coming down most weekends."

"I don't mind. I'm getting paid very well for a weekend job and it's a fantastic opportunity to learn from your grandfather. Am I flying down with you?"

"I would think so. This is a heads up so you can prepare Eunice."

"Eunice wants to move to the house here and for me to commute to school. I'm in the bore you to death part of law school's three year cycle: scare you to death, work you to death, bore you to death. It's true. Of course, Vietnam changed the way I looked at a lot of things, including school."

"I understand you. Enjoy the house with Eunice."

"I'll try."

Bessie left at three. She offered to prepare supper and leave it in the oven, but Grandfather wanted to eat at the Grand Hotel and my diet was mostly cereal, skim milk, and pills still.

I stretched and walked.

Bill Buterworth called to me from above. He was on the deck of his house. He had a tall drink in his hand. He walked down toward me. A younger man came with him.

"Problems with the leg?"

"Surgery to take care of scar tissue. It's getting better."

"I wanted you to meet Winston Croom."

"Rob Jenkins, Beau Lauder mentioned you."

Winston said, "I met him a couple of times when I was a senior at the University. I think his pen name is Colonel; excellent writer."

"He's a colonel in the Mississippi National Guard. He's their historian. I know him well; we're fraternity brothers and close friends."

Bill said, "Historian's an important job in the military. The military needs to document what happened; the successes and failures. They also have an important PIO function and to provide role models for the new troops."

"Colonel's not into PIO."

"Not many are. I was a PIO sergeant in Korea. Now they're called Information Specialists."

Winston said, "I've read some of Lauder's historical fiction. He's a gifted writer. Didn't he win the Faulkner Prize?"

"His mother told me he did. Colonel and his family were down over Thanksgiving; really nice people. Colonel would have gone to Ole Miss except he protested the occupation of Ole Miss by Federal troops."

Bill said to Winston, "The donations we matched for the shortfall at Thanksgiving came one hundred from Colonel and two hundred from Rob. Rob made up the entire amount for the Christmas fund."

Winston said, "I heard someone did, but no one knew who. I think people suspect Bill did it."

"I'd prefer it remain anonymous. He's welcome to any credit."

Bill said, "Rob is from Long Island and started at the University this fall."

Winston said, "I was born on Long Island and moved to Mobile when I was in elementary school."

I said, "I was slow to figure it out where I should be."

Bill said, "I'd like to take you to the Post, but it's closed on Monday. I came in from Rucker this morning; there was too much turbulence for my small Cub to fly in yesterday before dark. There's a sweet looking Aero Commander 680FL at the airport."

"FLP"

"Is she yours?"

I nodded. "Got her the week before Christmas, then the next day had surgery. We came in last night from New York in her. My grandfather is going to be staying here this winter and we needed easier connections to Fairhope. He'll never give up his law practice. He's setup an office here in the little house."

Bill said, "We work at home too. I'm looking for a rich wife to support me so I can write all the time."

Winston said, "I can't complain. My wife's family and mine are supporting me until I get this book out. It's taken me a little while to adjust to being back in the real world. I know it's much tougher when you were wounded and are in pain, like you. I was very fortunate."

I said, "I'm luckier than most in my company. I backslide from time to time and forget how fortunate I am."

Winston said, "You should come over for a drink. My wife also went to the University. She is a Theta."

"Thornton Canter, a third year law student, will be coming down too. His wife is a Kappa. We'll have to get together."

"Thornton was captain of the football team my senior year. I knew who he was, but that's it. I heard Thornton's a good guy."

"He was my company commander in Vietnam. He's rock solid. We found out we were fraternity brothers in Vietnam, when I was on limited duty and filled in for the company clerk. He's the main reason I transferred here from Yale."

Winston said, "I would have loved Princeton, but not Yale."

"I've really enjoyed the University this year. Nice meeting you. I can't drink, but I'd be happy to buy you two a drink at the VFW sometime."

Bill said, "I never turn down a free drink."

"It was nice to have met you."

I went back and sat on the porch.

Bill is a character. It'll be good to have someone like Winston, who's closer to my and Thornton's age around too.

I went through the shower and medical treatment routine and then read in bed.

I got up and ate breakfast with Grandfather. He went into his office.

At ten, I flew across the Bay into the Jackson County Airport, East of Pascagoula. It seemed I had barely retracted the landing gear before I had to put it down again. Pascagoula was so close to Fairhope. The time saving was flying across the bay. I landed at eleven and Jane was waiting for me.

She looks good for a woman her age. She looks good period.

"Come aboard. Have a look at the plane."

"This is really nice. It's different than Hub's."

"A different model, but very similar."

We kissed before we left the plane. The second kiss was passionate."

Jane said, "I think we better continue this at home. It's a little public here."

"Let's go. I'm ready."

"I can tell. I'm looking forward to you being lunch at my house."

We went to her house on the Gulf. We were barely in the door until her legs were up in the air and I was pounding her.

Jane said, "Easy, you're hurting me."

"Sorry, I got carried away." I slowed, and pulled all the way out and then push back in and all the way to the bottom."

"That feels so good. I had almost forgotten how good it feels."

I changed our angle so that I rubbed against her clit. She went over the top. I let her catch her breath and went into her hard and fast. Even like that, I went on and on.

"Please stop for a minute. I'm not use to this."

I held her. I was fully erect and in her.

"You fill me. I'm a little dry. I don't have KY; Libby."

I pulled out and she put a couple of drops of moisturizing face cream in her.

We got a good rhythm going. I picked up the pace. Finally, after what seemed like forever, I spent in her.

When I pulled out, I was still erect.

Her eyes got wide. "I can't believe it. I don't think I can take anymore."

"Sure you can."

I rolled her on her stomach and lifted her hips. I pressed in her.

"Move against me."

I massage her clit and she had another orgasm. It took me a long time before I had came in her and got soft.

"Look at the time. We've been going at it for over an hour. I have to get back to the bank. Do I need to take you back or can you get a cab?"

"I can take a cab."

"I'm going to be sore for a month."

She hurriedly kissed me goodbye and left. I called a cab, took a quick shower and locked the door behind me as I left.

On the return trip, I flew over Mobile and along the Bay down Spanish Fort, Daphne, Fairhope, and over the Grand Hotel. I landed and left the plane out, so Bessie's grandsons had an easier time unloading Grandfather's things."

Richard drove the pickup out. Bessie's son brought his two sons out. Even the twelve year old was huge. I talked with Richard and Bessie's son while the boys unloaded Grandfather's things on the truck. Bessie's son was a painter. I could tell Richard liked him.

It didn't take them long to unload the plane. Bill came up just as we finished. I told Richard to go on.

I told Bill, "Just come in."

Bill asked, "Is something wrong?"

"I visited a friend, an older lady; disappointing. It didn't go well. It wasn't her fault."

He nodded. "Have you been to New Orleans during Mardi Gras?"

"I changed planes at the airport once, but I've never been in the city."

"You've got to go. It's a different culture. There are some fantastic women there. Creole women, mixtures of slaves, French, and Old South; it is really something. Mardi Gras is nice in Mobile; it's wild in New Orleans. In this beauty, it's no time to New Orleans."

"Have a look if you'd like."

He went in.

"I've been in the military model, the U8. This is much nicer that even the General's plane I saw."

He came out. "Nice bird"

"Thanks"

"Would you like to stir one off at the Post?"

"Why not?"

We went to the VFW. Bill had a Famous Grouse and I had water.

Bill said, "I've not been back long from Argentina. You'd like it there, beautiful women from all different backgrounds; gorgeous German blondes, lots of fiery Italians, regal Spaniards and the mixed bloods of the native Indians and all the others. They have a nice European custom, minas. Young women kept by older men. The Argentines marry for money and society position, but keep these pretty young things for loving."

"Sounds like Howard Hughes"

"It goes on wherever there are rich men and beautiful young women willing to sell themselves for money; and that's everywhere. It's just more accepted in Buenos Aires and less expensive."

"If it's good enough for Clark Gable, it should be good enough for me. If you think about it rationally, there are a lot of advantages to renting it."

Bill said, "There are a few pros who work the Grand. Then there's a business/secretarial school that has poor girls looking to work their way up. I'm sure you could find interesting help there. A couple of blocks inland, there are some inexpensive bungalows and rentals where you could keep one. I've been thinking about bringing a mina back from Argentina."

Before we left, I signed in at the Post and prepaid a year's dues.

On the way back from the Post, Bill happened to drive by a few areas of small houses suitable for rentals. I saw one small house about two blocks inland from my house, which was for sale by owner.

After I got back from the VFW, I sat on the porch and talked with Grandfather, until he was ready to walk over to the Hotel for supper. He had his office about like he wanted it and expected a package of documents from New York to keep him busy.

Jan had supper fixed for me. I didn't take long to eat supper. I stretched and walked over to the house that was for sale. It looked like it had two small bedrooms on the south side of the house, a living room on the west side, and a kitchen in the northwest side in the back of the house behind the living room. There was one bath, which was located between the bedrooms. An unpaved drive ran beside the house to the back door by the kitchen. It was on a small lot with similar houses on both sides.

When I got back home, I called the number listed on the 'for sale by owner' sign. I spoke with an insurance agent who owned the house. He explained that he wanted to sell the house because he was too busy to deal with rentals. He had two more for sale and asked if I were interested in seeing the other houses, which were in Daphne. I arranged to see the house the next afternoon and told him I wasn't interested in the others.

After supper, Grandfather and I sat on the porch. We talked mostly about practicing law. He went to bed. I went though my nightly medicine routine and read in bed.

I ate an early breakfast with Grandfather and did my morning medicine routine. I walked and then read on the porch. Grandfather and I ate an early lunch. While he napped, I met the insurance agent to look at the house. The house needed to be painted inside and out, but appeared to be a sound little house. He was wanted to sell it 'as is' for less than ten thousand dollars. I gave him a check for the purchase price. He gave me a receipt which functioned for quit claim deed purposes.

I arranged with Bessie to have her son paint the house. I had a week left before I went back to Tuscaloosa.

After Grandfather got up from his nap, I asked, "Would you like to fly over to New Orleans tomorrow?"

"What would you like to do there?"

"Take a bus tour of the city. We could eat at a good restaurant and stay overnight, or come back in the afternoon. It's not that far."

"Let's take a tour, eat lunch at a nice place and then come back home."

I arranged for a tour in a private car. I made an early lunch reservations at Court of Two Sisters. I reserved transient parking space for the plane at New Orleans Lakefront Airport.

Grandfather was an early riser. We ate early and were wheels up at seven. By nine, we were in a limo touring New Orleans. We had a superior tour guide. He took us to all the sights. We went to Preservation Hall, the cathedral and square, and to a couple of cemeteries. We also went with him for an early supper at a real Cajun restaurant. Our colored driver was a regular and said we would be welcome; and we were. The supper was really an experience of different foods and spices. The driver agreed with Bill that the women in New Orleans were the finest in the world. I remembered what Lib said about Colonel and New Orleans women. I planned to suggest to Colonel that he show me the town sometime.

New Orleans was a different experience for us and we both seemed to enjoy it. I got the driver's card and the driver got a large tip. He told us to call and he would arrange places to eat that were out of this world. Grandfather sat in the copilot's seat on the way back.

He said, "That's the most fun I've had in a long time. We need to do it again. Maybe we should take Will and Brooke over sometime."

"I think we should take Richard and Jan sometime."

"You're right. I'm not used to thinking that way, but we should."

I had blown my diet. On the way back, I drank several glasses of water. I wanted to flush naturally. As I had suspected, the rich food and spices upset my stomach. After a couple of hurried bathroom visits, my stomach settled. I stretched and walked. I waited until late to take my supplements and administer the medicine.

I called the adult education office at the high school in Daphne, where I talked to the office education teacher. I told her I wanted a secretary with personal assistant skills. She had three women she thought would be interested. One was just out of high school; the second was returning to work after her last child started school; and the third was recently divorced and living at home. I told her I would like to talk with them. She said she would call and ask them to get in touch with me, if they were interested.

I had three calls that afternoon from the women. We agreed to meet at the high school for interviews beginning at ten the next morning. The first woman I spoke with was the youngest. She was mousey and not a good match. The second was a minister's wife. She was very nice and had good skills. I thought she might be a possible for Grandfather as a general secretary. The last was Ania, who was about thirty, tall, slim, and had a little style. Her typing and shorthand scores were average. She had a pleasant voice, and while not beautiful, I thought she was attractive.

She was the only one I really told about the job. "I'm looking for a confidential secretary. She will have to be able to work alone and must be very responsible and open with me."

She nodded.

"There are a couple of businesses in Baldwin County that I'm involved in. I'm mostly here on the weekends during the winter and gone completely during the summer. I'm a student at the University and have a house in Tuscaloosa. I may need you in Tuscaloosa some of the time."

She nodded.

"Do you have concerns about flying in a private plane?"

"I've never flown at all, but I don't think I would have a problem."

"Do you have questions?"

"What exactly would I be doing?"

"Mostly doing things for me; running errands, keeping track of things, meeting people, taking care of reservations, some office work, some bookkeeping; mostly things like that."

"I don't have a car. Do I need a car?"

"Can you drive?"

She nodded.

"The hours would be varied and you would have to be able to travel with little notice. Is that a problem?"

She shook her head. "I don't have children. Where would I work?"

"I bought a place near my house in Fairhope. You would be involved with my business and personal life. Absolute discretion is required."

She nodded.

"And we have to like each other and be able to get along. We can't have any secrets."

She hesitated then nodded.

"Are you sure?"

"What does the job pay?"

"It pays well. The rest of the things are more important. My grandfather is an attorney, my brother is an attorney, and I plan to be an attorney. Is there any reason you couldn't work for an attorney?"

"No"

"Any arrests, judgments, or suits against you?"

"No"

"In addition to discretion, you would have to avoid suspicious activities, even if they weren't illegal. No gambling, drugs, prostitution etc."

"No problem there."

"Do you have any alcohol problems?"

"No"

"Any problems with your former husband?

"Boyfriends?"

She shook her head.

"Girl lovers"

She said, "Not hardly!"

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.