Robert Jenkins
Chapter 15

Copyright© 2010 by rougher63

Cathryn, our fraternity sweetheart, was very classy and really tried to help the brothers and pledges. She came from Spring Hill, a nice section of Mobile. I met her parents when I went to her house to ride back to school after Thanksgiving break. Her father was a dentist and her mother taught art at a high school. She was an only child and was close to her parents. We left from her house at one p.m. to return to the University. She drove her GTO.

Cathryn and I talked the first hour of the trip. I told her about my family coming down and that Grandfather might move down for the winter. She told me about her fiancé, a popular DKE brother, who had graduated before I joined the chapter. He was an Infantry second lieutenant in Vietnam. She worried something would happen to him. She talked a little about him and the cassette tape she had received from him just before she left for Thanksgiving break.

She didn't ask and I didn't talk about my Vietnam experiences. Jeanette, she knew about my breakdown in Demopolis and that it was triggered by events from my time in Vietnam. She would have been an ear if I had needed to talk about something, but Vietnam wasn't a subject I could talk about with her. We were friends and honest with each other. Colonel and I ate with her often, and I knew I was one of her favorite brothers. I liked her too, as a big sister. When I had dated, she had given me her honest appraisals of coeds, telling me which ones to avoid and she recommended that I pay attention to some. She even let me know which ones had a reputation.

On our trip back, the only comfort I gave her about Vietnam was to tell her that her love had been there long enough to have passed the most dangerous time. I only really talked about Vietnam with Thornton, and then only after we'd had enough drinks to be drunk.

We ended talking by her telling me that Jeanette was doing well. She suggested I recline the seat and get some rest.

I reclined the seat and thought about Dorothy. I wasn't sure how to best handle the situation. Actually, I felt clueless. I had made accommodations to handle what had happened in Vietnam. It was the monster I fought to keep bottled up; the only way I kept those emotions under control. In some ways, I did the same thing with Mother and Will; they were forces beyond what I could control. They were on my things to avoid list.

I wanted to be more self sufficient. Alabama offered the best blend of support and independence. I had more friends in Alabama than I ever had before. I felt I could be more in control in Alabama. The psychiatrist had been correct about that.

The holiday had helped clarify that even more. I didn't feel comfortable with Will's plan, but I needed to be a part of helping the Lauders, Thornton, and Dorothy succeed, so I dealt with it the best I could.

Grandfather was most important to me and Brooke was next. Dorothy was almost as important as Brooke and in a similar way. It hit me that thinking of Dorothy like I did Brooke, was the way the way for me handle my problems about Dorothy. I knew what I should do; I didn't know the best way to do it.

I had done the right thing with Carolyn, but Carolyn had been stronger in her resolve to change our relationship than I had. With Dorothy, I knew I had to be the one with the greater resolve. Being away from Carolyn had made losing her easier, but I didn't want to leave Tuscaloosa.

And Carolyn didn't carry my child, Dorothy probably did. Carolyn didn't need me like Dorothy did. Dorothy had grown as a businesswoman and was successful, but she wasn't experienced enough to be comfortable and needed encouragement and ideas. What we planned in Tuscaloosa was several orders of magnitude more than she had done before, and it was more than I had done too. But for me the amounts at risk in Tuscaloosa were insignificant to my financial position. Most of my business activities in Tuscaloosa were vehicles for Dorothy's benefit. My motivation wasn't like Will and Dorothy, I didn't have the strong need to make lots more money. It seemed for Will, he needed to be successful for some internal validation, or that it was ingrained in him from his training with Grandfather and Father. I didn't have that strong need. And I didn't have the motivation the Lauders had; they seemed shaped from a plantation mentality to be responsible for the people who lived on their land and those who worked for them.

I wanted to do the right thing for Carolyn, Dorothy and my friends. I felt some responsibility to help the families of Dallas and Eddie, and the other men of my squad and platoon, who didn't come back, as well as the men of my platoon and company who didn't come back in one piece. I felt a responsibility to the St. Joe employees to be a good employer and to Grandmother Joseph to be a good steward of St. Joe's woodlands. I wasn't confident I could handle the responsibility.

Grandfather was most important to me. After him, I felt the most emotional responsibility for Brooke. It was important that I be ready to help Brooke, if she needed me. Will was a risk taker and Brooke could suffer. I didn't worry about Will and Mother; they were beyond what I could do.

I satisfied needs in Dorothy which Fred couldn't. She needed me more than Carolyn. Carolyn's husband had provided love and good sex. Fred was clueless. But with the pregnancy, Dorothy's needs and priorities changed. Being a good mother moved to the top of her list and she felt she had to be a good wife to be a good mother.

She needed me differently. And the hell of it was that she had become more than a very beautiful sex partner. After Demopolis, she had responded to sex with me and sex became lovemaking. I knew she loved me and my feelings had grown to at least near love for her. I hoped I could use those feelings to provide her the support she needed and not to take advantage of her for sex.

I took a short nap while Cathryn drove. When she stopped for gas, I drove and she napped. She awoke and I stopped in Demopolis for a couple of Dairy Queen cones and a bathroom stop.

I felt for Cathryn. The worry she had for her fiancé exhausted her. She drove from the Demopolis to the University. It took us a little over four and a half hours to get to the University from Spring Hill and it was supper time when we got to my house. The University and Greek houses didn't serve meals on Sunday evening. The rumor was that the University had an agreement with the churches, not to serve meals in an effort to encourage students to go to Sunday night church youth groups, where Sloppy Joes, chili, combination pasta/meat dishes or some other easy group meal were served for a token charge. I had gone to the Presbyterian Sunday night youth group once. Most Sunday afternoons, Sadye and I used the afternoon trying to satisfy appetites that were of a more carnal nature. We often were in bed late into Sunday afternoon.

I talked Cathryn into staying for a steamed rice and pork supper. After a little convincing, she got in the Jacuzzi while I cooked pork and rice in the steamer. I left her alone and let her relax. The steamer took forty-five minutes, which was about right for the Jacuzzi. About ten minutes before the pork and rice was ready, I called to Cathryn and she got out of the Jacuzzi. I warmed a good sweet and sour sauce for the pork and tossed a salad while Cathryn dried and changed.

At the kitchen table, Cathryn said, "The Jacuzzi really hit the spot after the long ride. It helped release some tension too. Thanks."

"I find the Jacuzzi helps me relax at the end of the day. It was Grandfather's idea to put one in and it was a good idea."

Not long after we started eating, Cathryn asked, "Are you ready to go out with a Kappa? Several would love to go out with you. Jeanette talked about you; she's made your reputation at Kappa."

"I don't know. I don't want to play dating games. It would have to be a special situation. You all are too popular."

"I wish that were true. I know a really cute pre-med student, who doesn't think she has time to fool with a boyfriend. She wants to go out and blow off a little steam; but she's not interested in romance or sex. And she doesn't want to deal with a love struck kid. Are you interested?"

"Maybe I better pass. Another premed student with the same need would be a better match for her."

"You're probably right. You might like another sorority. I could ask around?"

"Thanks, but if I just want to be fixed up, I know someone in just about every major sorority."

"If you don't, Colonel surely does."

I nodded.

"I may have a couple of girls, I would like for you to take out as a favor to me. Maybe build their confidence. You may find this hard to believe, but some guys take advantage of freshmen girls."

I smiled. "I'm always ready to help you. I might like them better than the one who need to blow off steam."

"I know you'd be what they need. I held off asking until I thought you were ready. I'll call and let you know."

I said, "I appreciate the ride. There aren't many people I'd want to make that trip with."

"You did me a favor. My dad gets nervous if I drive all that way alone. I'm glad you could come along. The sweet and sour pork and Jacuzzi were very good too."

I walked her out to her car.

I said, "Take care."

She does well for being so worried about her fiancé. He's a lucky man.

I exercised and read my class assignments.

Professors returned tests or papers in every class. I had a good run in my morning classes. All my grades were A's.

I joined Cathryn and Colonel in the fraternity house parlor, waiting for lunch to be called.

Colonel said, "Cathryn told me you all had a pleasant ride back. Are you coming to the pledge swap tonight?"

"I'm going to be a little more active socially, but I think I'll pass on pledges."

Cathryn said, "I have someone I'd appreciate you taking to date night."

I sensed it was a special case and important to her.

"I'll do my best to be a gentleman."

"Her name is Carol Hall."

The chapter president announced lunch.

Cathryn said, "I'll tell you about her later?"

We went to the tables. After we ate, there was a pledge line up so she couldn't tell me more. Pledge line ups were hazing and Cathryn and the housemother left before they started in earnest. I didn't like them and left when Cathryn did.

She asked, "Could you call me about four?"

"Four it is."

I had completed the requirements for my school class in my pilot training class. I took supplemental instruction in multiengine and instrument flight.

I got home just before four. At precisely four, I called Cathryn at the Kappa house.

Cathryn answered the phone in the hall at the sorority house. "I was so sure you'd call, I stood by the phone."

"Anything for you."

"About Carol, she's from the same high school as Eunice and Thornton. Her high school boyfriend plays football at Princeton. He found someone else not long after he got to Princeton and she took the breakup badly. She's put on a lot of weight and now is self-conscious. She needs to breakout of this cycle."

"Not a problem for me. Will date night be a problem for her? I think some girls get a bit nervous with the introduction to the house thing?"

"I didn't think of that. What would be special?"

"Normally I'd say the Cypress Inn, but eating might not the best either. Ramsay Lewis is playing at the Jazz Concert Series Wednesday night. Dave Brubeck is Thursday evening. Does she like jazz?"

"I don't know; I'll ask.

"I'll call you back. Carol has a pledge swap tonight or I'd ask you to come over and introduce you."

"I've got a few calls to make. If the phone's busy, the answering service will take a message and I'll get back to you."

That reminded me to check the service. When I did, they gave me a message that Dorothy requested I call. I called her.

Dorothy asked, "How was Fairhope?"

"It went better than I expected. I think Grandfather fell in love with the Grand Hotel and liked the feeling of the house and Fairhope. How are you doing?"

"Fair. I really missed you and reality hit me harder than even I expected. Anyway, it's been a very busy day. Our offer was accepted on the house and lot. We want you to see it when you have time. Fred is so excited he wants to go as soon as he can."

"I can go now."

"I'll call, but the seller's already said he would be home and we could come over. He liked that we were so excited about the house. I have a lot of other things to talk about too."

"Do you want me to meet you there or for us to go together?"

"Would it be okay if we picked you up? We'll come in my car, so we can ride over together."

I said, "I'll be ready. Ask Fred to wear a coat? I'm taking you to dinner."

"We should take you."

"I'll be waiting."

I called the country club and asked the manager to see us sometime between five and six.

Cathryn called. "I think a weekend supper at the Cypress Inn might be better. She's not a big jazz fan and she doesn't go out much on the weekend. With everyone else going out, she feels down on the weekend."

"How about a Coke date and if it goes okay, we can go to dinner on the weekend?"

"We can talk at lunch tomorrow."

I'm glad this Carol thing came up. I'd forgotten about the jazz concerts. I'm going to go to both. I'll ask Colonel if he wants to go.

I put on a sports coat and waited for Fred and Dorothy. I walked out to their car as soon as Fred pulled into the drive. I got in the back seat of Dorothy's Caprice sedan.

"I'm excited to see your new house."

Fred said, "I love it. We appreciate you getting it for Dorothy."

"She works hard and will bring in a lot of money. She deserves a nice place."

"She does. My department chairman really liked the article idea. Mr. Lauder was nice enough to call and say that he had been in contact with an attorney, who specializes in these things and that the attorney would contact me."

"That's sounds good."

Dorothy said, "The condo builder in Gulf Shores is really in a bind. He's anxious to unload the property. We could wait and squeeze him, but I think we're better off to give him a little and assume his mortgage. We might even be able to use him in the future. He has a good reputation as a builder. He just got in over his head and had some bad luck with interest rates. I can go either way."

"I hear a preference to not squeeze him."

She nodded.

"I think that's smart. Handle it as you see fit. I like what's best in the long-term if at all possible. Let's see what the bank would take to satisfy the mortgage."

"Do you want Thornton to handle that? I don't think the hardware store owner is motivated to sell. His price is way over market. How badly do you want it?"

I said, "Let's not go over market. I don't want to inflate prices. Tell the agent we dealt with, that if she has a really good buy on a listing to give us a call, but that we are only interested in good buys. I'd prefer if you handle the construction loan matter. Grandfather can tell you who to talk to guide you, but I'd rather for you to get the experience."

She asked, "Do you want me to focus on the Fairhope area now?"

"No, I don't want to take away from what you're doing here, but if you have free time, I'd appreciate you looking around Fairhope. I think it will be a good longer term investment and I want to have a presence, as long as I'm going to be there anyway. We're going to need locations for the dealership in Foley and Bay Minette soon."

She said, "I understand. Fred and I might take a trip down for a getaway and we can look at properties. Do you plan to use the bayhouse before Christmas?"

"I'm not planning to go again until probably the beginning of next semester. As soon as school is out, I'm planning on going to New York. You can stay at the bayhouse all during Christmas if you want. While you're down, set up a corporate account at the Grand Hotel. You may need to entertain there. You and Fred can use it when you eat there. Do you sail?"

Fred said, "I never have, but I always thought sailing was a fascinating engineering exercise."

"Kinda like golf? Ask your real estate contact about corporate memberships at yacht clubs? You might want to take sailing lessons while you're down. I grew up with a sailboat on Martha's Vineyard. I'll probably get a sailboat."

Fred asked, "You have a pier and dock? Why do you need a yacht club?"

"I wouldn't want to keep a boat in the water all the time. A big part of a yacht club is social functions. We also have a corporate social membership at Lakewood Country Club, which is across from the Grand Hotel. The membership allows nonresident members to pay green fees and play the golf course. You're welcome to use the facilities there. Will said it's a nice course. There's a member's card in the desk at the bayhouse. Charges will come back to the business, so don't worry about that."

Fred stopped in front of their new house.

I said, "It's an impressive house."

He pulled in the drive. We were met by the architect and his male friend.

I made the appropriate appreciative sounds throughout the tour of the house. I told Fred and Dorothy, "I can see why you like the house. I know you'll be happy here."

The architect said, "I hate to leave it, but I accepted a faculty position teaching architecture at Georgia Tech. It was too good an offer not to take. We decided we wanted to be in Atlanta."

Dorothy said, "We'll take good care of the home. If you want to show to a client sometime, just let us know."

He said, "That's very kind. I'm proud of the design. I might take you up on the offer."

She said, "I hope you've taken photographs. We are going to have our first child and I doubt if it will look like this again for a while."

Dorothy talked with the architect and his friend while Fred took me on a tour of the grounds and showed me the additional lot they had bought. Then we took the car to the country club, which was close by.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.