Robert Jenkins - Cover

Robert Jenkins

Copyright© 2010 by rougher63

Chapter 11

Tuesday night, Jeanette called. From her voice, I could tell she was excited. After brief hellos, she said, "You won't believe it. A Kappa pledge had to drop out and tonight at the chapter meeting, I was voted a bid."

I said, "That's great. Did you accept the bid?" I was happy for her.

"It costs more money than I expected. When they gave me the costs for the year, I almost cried. The pledge fee is twenty-five dollars, local chapter fees are fifty, initiation fee is seventy-five, a pin is optional but expensive, social dues are seventy-five, and special assessments total another seventy-five. They gave me until Thursday night to decide."

I said, "Call them and accept. I'll add it to your scholarship money. I'll meet you outside your dorm at eleven-forty-five tomorrow with the money. I don't want any discussion. They are lucky to get you."

She said, "Thank you, I hated to ask. I can't believe it. I'm so happy. I was afraid it wouldn't work out. It's too much to ask of mom."

"I'm happy to do it. I have a favor to ask."

"Anything, just tell me; you don't have to ask."

I asked, "Would you introduce me to Eddie Shaun's sister?"

Jeanette said, "Shirley doesn't go to school here. I think she's working in Demopolis."

I said, "Maybe I could help her if she wanted to go to college?"

"That would be really nice. Demopolis isn't that far. We could go see her there."

I said, "You're going to be really busy soon. I'd like to do it quickly."

"I'll call and try to get her tonight. Did you want to talk with her before the weekend?"

"I'd hoped she was in school here. The sooner we can talk, the better. She's going to need time to get admitted and January isn't that far away. Tomorrow or Thursday would be best."

Jeanette asked, "Don't you have date night Thursday?"

"This is more important. It's really bothering me. See if I can meet with her for lunch on Thursday or after work on Wednesday or Thursday.

"And congratulations. I'll see you tomorrow at 11:45."

Jeanette said, "Thanks. I'll call Kappa and accept. I can't believe it."

I did the problems in accounting and read botany. Botany was the best sleep aide I knew. I had dozed off when Jeanette called back. "I'm set for pledging on Thursday afternoon. And I talked to Shirley. She's not sure she can get off at lunch. She works at St. Joe Paper. The manager there is a bastard."

"Okay, what did she say about Thursday after work?"

Jeanette said, "She said that either tomorrow or Thursday after work would be good for her. You could bring her to my dorm and we could talk and eat here tomorrow night. But this isn't a normal dorm. I wouldn't want her to be disappointed if she came here and got a normal freshman dorm. She's afraid St. Joe would fire her now, if they found out she's going to college in January."

I said, "I'll take care of that."

"It's more complicated than just Shirley, her father works there too. Are you sure it would be all right?"

"My family has an interest in St. Joe Paper."

"Enough to take care of that man who runs the plant? Mom had terrible things to say about him."

I said, "Enough to protect her. Give me Shirley's phone number. I'll call her now."

I called Shirley at home. I spoke with her mother and then her. "This is Rob, Jeanette's friend. We'd like for you to come over to campus and eat with us at her dorm tomorrow night. We have some things to talk about; mostly about a scholarship for family members of Demopolis men who were causalities in Vietnam. I could get you and take you back. How does tomorrow right after work sound?"

Shirley said, "I'm definitely interested, but I can't afford any trouble at the plant. My dad works at the plant too."

"I promise that neither of you will be in any trouble."

She was skeptical, but agreed.

I called Grandfather. "Sorry, I know it's near your bedtime. I'm hearing bad things about the St. Joe plant manager in Demopolis."

Grandfather said, "I never had much to do with St. Joe Paper. Your grandmother had the stock in a trust for you. The trustee worked out of Jacksonville. I'll give you his number. A fellow named Ball ran the trust. He married a duPont relative. I never liked him much or had much to do with it. I can have someone check on it tomorrow, if you like?"

I said, "Please do. Something is not right there."

I called for Colonel but he was entertaining.

At eleven-fifteen Colonel called back. He asked, "A problem?"

I asked, "Do you know anything about the St. Joe Paper plant in Demopolis?"

"St. Joe's not a very good outfit in Mississippi. I've heard the plant in Demopolis is really bad. We get their best employees. I hope you're not a part of that outfit."

"I'm afraid I am."

Colonel said, "Lauderdale's more in pole pines and ties, than pulp and plywood like St. Joe. But I know my father has a low opinion of them. We could go over and talk with my father about them. I'm sure he could find out what you need to know."

"That might be helpful sometime, but let's wait on that." I thanked Colonel. My uneasy feeling about St. Joe was strengthened.

It wasn't a problem to move my flying lesson up to two-thirty on Wednesday. I called Grandfather after I got in from forestry class and before I went to the bank to have a check cut for Jeanette.

Grandfather told me, "I had a couple of people examine your trust and St. Joe. Ball's used St. Joe like he owned it. He does better from it than you do. We need to be careful. I would prefer to dissolve the trust up here in the Southern District of New York Federal Court; he's very powerful in Jacksonville. You are the sole beneficiary, and according to the terms of the trust, when you reached majority the trust should have been dissolved and distributed to you. If we can't force the trust to be dissolved, we'll remove Ball as the trustee. We need to have our attorneys in place to safeguard the assets before we do anything. Don't tip your hand until then."

I asked, "Could you please have it done? I'll back off here. And could you have someone check First National Bank of Birmingham? Dorothy said a man in her appraisal class said First National had properties, acquired during the depression, that are undervalued on the books. She said that he claimed that the current value of the properties alone was worth more than the bank's market capitalization."

Grandfather said, "I doubt that, but I'll have someone check it out discretely. Are you interested in them?"

"Maybe; there was also something about stock purchase restrictions that required Alabama residency. It may be an opportunity."

Grandfather asked, "How are you doing?"

"Things are going better than I expected."

"If you can get away, fly home for a visit. I miss you and would love to see you."

"I will. We have a few days at mid-term."

I went to the bank and had them cut a bank check payable to Kappa Kappa Gamma for five hundred dollars. I had the bank put on the check's memo line 'Jeanette Elliott fees deposit'. The check was signed by the bank cashier and my name wasn't on it.

I saw Jeanette before lunch and gave her an envelope with the check inside. After she thanked me, she said she had arranged for Jeanette and me to eat with her, but the dorm's serving line closed at six-thirty. I was glad we had moved it up to Wednesday. Jeanette was nervous about going to Kappa on Thursday, and Colonel had someone lined up for me to take to date night dinner. I hated to miss date night.

I went to my first writing discussion group and then to flight training. I left straight from my flying lesson for Demopolis. It took an hour to get to the St. Joe Paper plant. Shirley came out a couple of minutes after five. She had changed clothes after work.

Shirley was a very athletic looking blonde, which surprised me, since Eddie had been awkward and not the least athletic. She came to the car.

I greeted her from beside the car.

"Hi, I'm Rob. Jeanette is waiting for us at the dorm at the University. We're going to eat and talk in the cafeteria there and then I'll bring you back."

She got in and I shut her car door. I went around and we started toward Tuscaloosa.

Shirley asked, "Where did you meet Jeanette?"

"We were in the same orientation group this fall." I continued, "Jeanette told me you work at St. Joe Paper. How did you end there?"

Defensively she said, "There aren't too many places to work in Demopolis."

I'm not doing this well. She is attractive if you like the healthy athletic look. I've got to be more positive.

I asked, "Are there many things to do in Demopolis?"

"Not many. Jeanette said you live in New York City. What's that like?"

"It's a great city. The theaters, museums, galleries, and places to work are first rate, but there are a lot of people. You are surrounded by people all the time."

She said, "I'd like to watch the matches at Forest Hills sometime. I love tennis."

"Next year, maybe you can be my guest and go. You could bring a friend. My grandfather has plenty of room for a couple of guests."

She said, "I've dreamed of playing on the grass courts there sometime and just walking on the center court."

"I confess; I don't know much about tennis; Jack Kramer and Pancho Gonzales are about all I know."

"How did you end up in a unit with Eddie in Vietnam?"

"I was drafted and was sent to them as a replacement in the field. I really liked the Commanding Officer. After I got back, I visited him at the University. I liked the University so well that I decided I wanted to go to here, when I started back to school."

She asked, "Where were you before?"

"Yale"

"The University must be a lot different than Yale."

"It fits me better. So far, I really like it."

We made good time on the highway and made the cafeteria before the serving line closed. Jeanette was waiting for us. We ate and chatted about the University. We didn't have much time before the cafeteria people wanted us to leave.

After we ate, Jeanette showed Shirley the dorm. I waited in the lobby. It gave Jeanette and Shirley time to talk alone. I hoped after Shirley talked alone with Jeanette, she would feel more comfortable talking with me. After they talked, Shirley and I left for Demopolis.

In the car Shirley said, "It's very nice here. Jeanette's really excited about school. She had nice things to say about you. It was nice of you to help her."

She wants to know why me?

"I knew Eddie. We were in the same squad. I'd be happy to help you with a scholarship that would pay tuition, fees, books, room, board and activity expenses at the University."

She looked at me for a minute. "I don't know how to say this..."

I said, "Just go ahead and say it. I don't bite."

"Okay. Is dating you a part of the scholarship?"

I said, "Neither dating nor anything related to sex; not for you or Jeanette either."

"I know she likes you. I didn't mean that, but I'm not into the social scene like Jeanette. I'm not as pretty as she is either." She almost whispered. "I don't date. I'm not really interested in men or sex. I don't mess with girls or anything, but I ... I'm just not social."

"Shirley, I'm not blind. You are a very attractive woman. But you don't have to be into the social scene for the scholarship. Is there anything you would like to study?"

"I like phys ed. I'd like to be a tennis coach. I know: Alabama doesn't have girls' sports."

I said, "Roberta Alison is on the men's tennis team at Alabama. She's the women's NAIA single's champion."

"I've seen her play. I'm not that good. I think I could play at Livingston. It's a state teacher's college not far from Demopolis. They have a good PE program. But I really meant that the high schools don't have girls' sports."

"The scholarship offer is good there too."

She asked, "Really? Why are you doing this? I kind of understand Jeanette. She told me about you and her."

"My father left me enough money to help people. I promised that if I made it back, I would do something to honor the guys from Demopolis, who didn't: especially men in my squad like Eddie."

I saw tears in her eyes. "Eddie was goofy, but I loved him. I miss him."

I didn't cry, but I got emotional too. I had done well and thought I had put the pain of Vietnam behind me. We didn't say anything for the few more minutes it took to get to her house in Demopolis.

At her house, she said, "I'd like for you to come in, but Mom will ask you about Eddie. I can tell that would be hard for you, which speaks well about you. I don't doubt your sincerity, and your financial help would mean I could go to college. But Mom's questions might be too much for you."

"It would be tough. Would it help your mom?" I asked,

She nodded. "So you understand; my oldest sister, Martha, has had a problem with her weight and self image. Eddie was next. Then me and Theo. Theo had polio, and a tough fight to recovery. My youngest sister died when she was four. A swing fell on her in our backyard. My parents blame themselves for not having the swing anchored right. Losing Eddie was tough on Mom, especially after losing Naddie. My parents haven't had much good luck."

Her parents came out onto the porch. We went up, and Shirley introduced me. I saw the unspoken question in the Shaun's eyes: 'Why my son and not you?'

I didn't know exactly how to explain that St. Joe Paper was going to pay for any of their children to go to college, but that was what I intended to have happen. I kept quiet about my intentions until I could work out the details.

I barely held it together when we went in their living room. I saw pictures of Eddie in uniform, prominently displayed there. I felt light headed when Mrs. Shaun showed me one of Eddie's pictures from Vietnam that had me in it.

Eddie's mother asked, "How did he die?"

I flashed back to Eddie's death and felt as if I'd been hit by a truck. I quivered and said, "Excuse me."

Somehow I got to the car. I was in a cold sweat. It was the worse attack I had ever had. I vomited beside the car and shook.

From beside me, I heard Shirley, "It's going to be all right. Take it easy. What can I do?"

I wasn't able to respond. I flashed back again and again to the child running out and detonating the grenade next to Eddie. I saw Eddie being blown apart and felt the shrapnel go into my legs.

Mr. Shaun came out and Shirley ran back in the house.

I had another really bad cold sweat attack with convulsions, and then I blacked out.

The next thing I remember was when Thornton shook me. Eunice was beside him. Thornton said, "We are going to the emergency room. I talked to your grandfather. Your doctor will call there with instructions. Stay awake. Talk to Eunice."

Eunice held me and reassured me while Thornton drove to the hospital. Thornton knew Demopolis from having Guard meetings there.

A doctor met us at the ER desk and gave me a shot of something. My New York psychiatrist had prescribed medication for me to be given. I was lucky that I got a Demopolis doctor, who was willing to take the prescription and instructions from a New York doctor, who he didn't know.

Thornton said, "I called for a charter and got your flight instructor. He's at the airport here with a plane. He's flying you and Eunice to Atlanta. Your grandfather has both of you in first class from Atlanta to New York tonight. Eunice is going with you and can stay with Carolyn. She'll fly back with you. Your grandfather has everything arranged, but we need to get you to the airport, so you can make the flight in Atlanta."

I was heavily drugged, but was ambulatory. Without Eunice accompanying me and the doctor's written clearance for me to fly, the airline wouldn't have let me board.

We got into Atlanta with thirty minutes to spare. We stayed in the first class lounge and the airline specially boarded us first. I slept most of the way to New York.

Will and Brooke met us at the airport. It was after two in the morning when I was admitted to the psychiatric ward at Presbyterian.

I was put on an IV drip and into a bed in a private room.

My psychiatrist woke me Thursday afternoon. He asked me a few questions.

He said, "You're going to be fine. I expect you'll be out of here Sunday evening. You're going to rest until Saturday. I'll talk with you then. You made it. You're going to be fine."

I remained sedated until early Saturday afternoon. We talked through the flashback and what had occurred at the Shaun's.

My doctor said, "We'll talk tomorrow morning before you're released. I'm taking you off medication, but you should be able to sleep."

Sunday, the doctor and I talked about Alabama. He told me, "You've made good progress. You're not ready to handle much emotionally yet. That's why you've selected the women you have. You're relationships are uneven power wise. You need to back off until you can relate better. I don't think these relationships are healthy for you. You need to focus on your studies and stay busy with them."

Carolyn, Will and Brooke picked me up when I was discharged.

I hugged Carolyn. "I've missed you." I hugged Brooke and then Will. "Thanks for coming for me."

Will said, "We have the hearing scheduled for tomorrow at eight."

I asked, "What hearing?"

Will said, "When you got off the plane, you said over and over that you wanted to take care of St. Joe Paper. Grandfather talked to a Federal judge for the Southern District of New York, who will hear a request to dissolve the trust."

I said, "Good. I want something done about the plant in Demopolis. And something needs to be done about the Ball fellow in Jacksonville."

Will said, "Grandfather is working on it. I'm sure it will be taken care of promptly. He knows it's important to you."

I looked at Brooke. "Thank you so much for coming. You look radiant."

She said, "We're happy. We haven't told anyone, but I'm pregnant."

"That's wonderful news. How's Roselawns coming?"

"Slowly, very slowly. I hope it's done before the baby comes!"

I asked Carolyn. "How are you? You look really good."

"I'm fine. You need to take it easy. Relax." She hugged me and I melted against her.

Richard and Eunice met us at the entrance to Grandfather's apartment house. I hugged Richard.

He said, "It's nice to see you Mister Robert."

I asked, "How's Grandfather?"

"He does pretty well most of the time."

We went up to Grandfather's apartment and I greeted him. He looked very frail.

I asked, "How are you?"

He said, "I've been worried about you. Are you going to be all right?"

"I'm not to get too emotional for a while and I'm supposed to go back to school as soon as I can. The psychiatrist said that I had made good progress and that a few setbacks are normal."

Grandfather asked, "Is this hearing too soon? We can postpone. Will said it was very important to you."

"It would ease my mind to have that out of the way. I would like to get the Demopolis plant taken care of too. I need to do that for Eddie - for his family. It would really help me."

Eunice had filled Grandfather in on Eddie and the reason for my breakdown.

Grandfather looked at Will. "We'll see to it. It's at the top of our To Do List."

I said, "Thanks."

I said to Eunice. "It was good of you to come with me. You and Thornton to the rescue again. I do appreciate it."

She said, "I've had a great time with Carolyn. We went to a couple of shows and shopping."

I looked at Grandfather.

Carolyn said, "Bobby, I'm not poor. I can afford to show a friend around for a couple of days."

I said, "The doctor talked to me about that. He said that I'm trying to buy friendship and love."

Carolyn said, "I hope he wasn't talking about us."

"No, but about everyone else. What he said made a lot of sense. I'm afraid he's right."

Eunice said, "I'm sure that's not accurate for a number of us."

Grandfather said, "Let's not worry about that now. Could you women talk with Bobby? Will and I have a few things to go over."

I asked Eunice. "Did you get some clothes?"

"Is the Pope Catholic?"

"I expect that you will let me cover the costs."

She said, "If I'd known that, I would have gotten much more expensive things!"

We all laughed.

I asked, "Carolyn, how much was it?"

Carolyn feels responsible for my breakdown. I better just address that straight away.

"Carolyn, you weren't the reason for this episode. It was a Vietnam flashback that had nothing to do with us."

Carolyn visibly relaxed. She knew how much Eunice spent and told me after Brooke suggested it was right for me to do something to cover Eunice's expenses, after all the help Thornton and Eunice had provided.

I gave Eunice a check for the amount Carolyn said would cover the purchases.

Eunice said, "I'm glad I have plenty of room in my suitcase for all the things we took on approval. I'm going to pack now." Eunice and Brooke went to Carolyn's apartment.

They're giving us time to talk alone.

Carolyn said, "Eunice tells me that you are very popular with the women."

"There are some nice women there, but I'm not going to get too attached to any of them yet. And I've been told to take it easy there for a while. Have you been going out?"

"Not yet. I'm going to be very selective. I appreciate that you stuck with our agreement. I think it would be a mistake to change it." She squeezed my arm and forced a smile.

Carolyn and I talked until Will and Grandfather returned.

Grandfather told me what to expect at the Judge's and how to respond to the Judge's questions.

Will and Brooke went back to Long Island and the rest of us ate supper with Grandfather.

I turned in early.

Monday, we were up very early and at the Federal Court House before eight. Grandfather, Will and I went into the Judge's chambers. The Judge dissolved the trust and ordered that all assets and records be turned over to me or my representative. It took less than ten minutes. Grandfather said he would handle the transfer of accounts. Grandfather had the Judge's order recorded at the Clerk's Office, while Will took me to the car.

Eunice waited in the limo for me and we went directly to Idlewild. I was in Atlanta before noon and made Professor McWilliams' class, with aid of a chartered plane and the hour we gained in the time zone change.

Professor McWilliams said, "Welcome back. I didn't expect you today."

I said, "Thank you. I came directly from the airport to class."

"I would appreciate your Friday paper as soon as you can do it. I don't want you to get behind."

"I have completed a draft. I will have it to you before four."

He nodded. "I'll set aside some time to talk then."

On the way from Atlanta, my charter pilot (who was the school's chief instructor pilot) said that I should take a couple of weeks off and make up the lessons after that. He said, he didn't know what had caused my problems, but thought a rest was wise. 'Not officially knowing' allowed me to continue in the class. Not having flying lessons lighten my load.

I finished my paper for Professor McWilliams and called Jeanette.

She asked, "How are you?"

"I'm better. How are you?"

"This evening I go to my first pledge swap. Pledging's going well."

I said, "Congratulations, they seemed like a nice group when they came to Deke. Do you have a checking account?"

Jeanette said, "No, I don't."

I said, "Let's go open one, so you can write checks on your own account."

I dropped off the paper for Professor McWilliams. He told me he was concerned and if I needed help, to give him a call. We didn't talk long. I thanked him and left.

I got Jeanette at the dorm and we went to First National where she opened an account. I gave her two-hundred-fifty dollars to deposit and arranged to cover a hundred dollar overdraft.

I dropped her off at the dorm, with her new checks. Then I went to the florist and had them deliver a bunch of blooming blue iris plants, the flower of Kappa, to Jeanette at her dorm.

I ate at home and caught up on my class reading.

Jeanette called at nine. "I'm so excited I could pop. The flowers were such a nice surprise. I really like the girls and went to my first pledge meeting after the pledge swap. I have some catching up to do, but everyone was nice."

I said, "They're pledge sisters now; not girls."

"I owe you big time."

"You've repaid me many times over. I can hear the happiness and excitement in your voice. And that's a lot for me."

She asked, "How are you doing?"

"I'm much better. I appreciate your quick thinking to call Eunice. She and Thornton took care of everything."

"I'm glad I could help. It was nothing compared to what you've done for me."

Tuesday was a light college day for me. I had botany at eight and forestry at ten. I typed my notes after class, as I remembered the lectures better if I typed my notes immediately after class.

US Marshalls served Ball with the Judge's orders. The FBI served him with subpoenas for my trust and St. Joe documents and accounting records. Thornton and a Constable, who was in Thornton's Guard unit in Demopolis, gave the Demopolis St. Joe Plant Manager a 'dismissed for cause letter' and a trespass warning letter. They watched him closely to make sure he only took personal items from his office and escorted him from St. Joe Property. Two of Grandfather's best auditors examined the books at Demopolis. The FBI questioned Ball, but the US Attorney doubted they had a criminal action and he wasn't charged. Will called me to let me know what happened. I wasn't told beforehand. When Grandfather told Ball, he intended to file a multimillion dollar suit on my behalf, Ball and Grandfather came to settlement terms quickly and quietly, which was most important to Ball. He didn't want problems with my mother's side of the duPont family.

The action I most wanted was successful; I controlled St. Joe Paper and the other assets of my former trust. Jenkins and Jenkins was my attorney in fact and exercised my power of attorney. They knew what to do and did it well. They found a knowledgeable, well respected former forestry executive to be a consultant during a management reorganization of St. Joe.

Before chapter meeting, Colonel asked, "How are you doing?"

"I'm much better, but I need to take it easy for a while."

Colonel left and returned in a few minutes. "My family and I would be honored if you be our guest at Lauderdale this weekend. My parents would like to meet you. You'll love my mother. It will be a low stress weekend."

I said, "I'm the one who is honored to receive the invitation. I'd like to go."

I skipped the fraternity's social functions and was current in my classes by Friday. Colonel picked me up at home after I had returned from Friday's writing class.

Colonel said, "I've got a little Guard business Saturday morning, but nothing scheduled otherwise. I'll have one of our corporate pilot's fly me to Jackson and I should return by noon. While I'm gone you and father can talk about forestry or banking. Or you can skip it and just relax. I do have massages lined up for us. My mother believes in massages to relieve tension."

We talked about writing class. Colonel answered many of my questions about style.

He said, "I hope you won't be offended. Thornton's summer job piqued my interest in your family earlier, but I didn't pursue it. I had sensed we had more things in common than anyone I had ever met. After your question about St. Joe, I asked Father to check on St. Joe and your relationship with it. When he told me about your family, I understood my feelings. It's nice to be able to talk with someone who understands the responsibilities that come with people who are in our position. My family interests are only in Mississippi and not of the scope of yours, but still, I think we are very similar. And I didn't get information from Thornton. He is the most closed mouth individual I know. You can trust him with your life. I feel that you are the same. My family prides itself on that trait. I hope you will feel you can call upon me, if the need arises."

I responded, "I felt the connection too, but I didn't want to burden you with some of my Vietnam adjustment problems. Thornton was there and understands. He and Eunice are linked to my family from working with us this summer. Before I went into the Army, I had never had a close friend. I would like for us to be close."

Colonel said, "I've had many acquaintances, but never had a best friend. At home, no one was close to my family's economic status and we don't have that barrier. I hope we become best friends."

I nodded and followed in the spirit of sharing and openness. I felt an emotional bond with Colonel. I thought we could be close friends.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.