Journey Across the Surface
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2010 by Woofajuana

They had gotten dressed and were exploring this new cave, trying to find a new way out. If they didn't soon, they feared their people wouldn't last much longer. As they continued through this massive cave system, they heard something that sounded like breathing of a large creature. Following the sound, they slowly peered around a crystal and held their breaths. Indeed, they had heard right. A huge beast lay in a nooke, its massive paws crossed, it's long head laid across them. This beast's jowl was immense. It obviously had a very strong bite. What it might hunt, they didn't dare imagine. On each side of the creature's head were tendril like whiskers, 10 of them in all, running along the thick jowl. Teeth the length of their arms protruded from its mouth, and they knew this beast would eat them if woken.

They backed up quietly and looked at each other. Suddenly, the breathing sound changed. With a loud sniff, the beast leapt to its paws. It was so large that it could have easily swallow them in two bites. But it moved with the speed and grace of any great predator. Before they could turn to flee, the beast's head came around the crystal and they gasped. They then realized the creature had no eyes. Where eyes might have once been was a squishy looking substance held in with a thick membrane. The creature bared its teeth, its breath that of decay. Dane grabbed Satrina and they both turned and ran. The beast leapt after them, silent despite its size.

It reached out those huge jaws and the two split, avoiding the resounding snap. The echoes of the snap made the creature stop and move its head from side to side as if disoriented. The crystals around them immediately hummed quietly for just a moment. Satrina and Dane hid behind the crystals on opposite sides. They held their breaths as best they could with the adrenaline pumping through them. Once all noise had stopped, the creature sniffed the air and turned toward Dane. It bared its teeth again. Its sense of smell was obviously incredible.

Then the whole cave crackled and hummed as Satrina fired her gun into the air on a short wave. The thundering sound caused the entire cave to hum and glow brightly. The creature gave a screech as if in pain, adding to the deafening noise. Without thought, Dane reached out and grabbed one of the tendrils that whipped about as it turned toward Satrina, which had been the origin of the sound in an attempt to protect her. The creature's head immediately jerked in his direction as it gave a loud groan in pain. Dane's eyes met Satrina's for just a second, but that was all that was needed.


The night brought no relief for any of the captured Lukatians. Though they no longer felt the burning of the sun, they still feared for their lives. Women were being taken out one by one and returned hours later, beaten and ravished. Some of the men that had tried to fight had been killed and, to everyone's horror, spitted and roasted over the great central fire. No one could ever have imagined such barbarism in any creature. It drove most to pray to ancient gods that their society had long ago shunned.

The terrestrials had all gone into their huts and their loud snores could be heard through the village. Only a few guards remained awake. But the sound of distant thunder drew everyone's attention. While the terrestrials stared at the sky in wonder for the sky was clear, the Lukatians knew the sound. They silently looked at each other, hope shining in their eyes. A few moments later, again the sound of thunder but much closer. When it went off again, it roused many of the terrestrials from their slumber and they looked out drowsily, calling to their comrades who shrugged.

Without any warning at all, a massive black beast landed on a hut, crushing it beneath its weight, killing those inside instantly. All hell broke lose in that moment. The terrestrials screamed at each other, running for safety, others running toward the beast with their spears up. They didn't notice someone slide off the beast's shoulders until thunder rolled through the village and a terrestrial dropped, dead, to the ground. The loud sound made the creature roar, its thick scaly tail lashing, throwing terrestrials every which way. It lunged forward, slamming its furry body against one of the towers. It screeched, feeling the spikes bury themselves into its body. It pulled away, green blood pouring out of it. But it jerked sideways, galloping toward a group of the terrestrials. It lunged, crushing several of them.

As the beast gorged itself, the other shadow rushed around the other side, picking off those trying to flee. Thunder rolled again and again, the terrestrials falling, some screaming in pain, some silent. Blood covered the ground as the beast leapt from person to person, rushing around in circles, being driven by an invisible hand. Its tail thrashed and slammed against one of the cages, nearly toppling it over but snapping the branches that made up the bars. Without hesitation, the Lukatians pulled the bars apart and piled out of the cage. Some got busy opening the other cages while others leapt into the fray, anger and grief driving them mad. They picked up the dropped spears of the terrestrials and chased them down.

The beast gave a roar, its wounds becoming too much for it to handle. It was starting to slow, starting to stumble. Finally, it fell over, its breathing labored. But most of the terrestrials were either dead, had fled into the night, or were unable to escape due to broken legs. Finally, the forest went quiet and the thunder rolled away into nothing. Then the silence was filled with the cheers of the Lukatians as they flung their arms around each other, dancing around in relief. Satrina and Dane came into the light, grinning at each other. No one would have believed them if they hadn't all seen it themselves.

They moved toward each other when a voice stopped them both dead in their tracks. "Satrina? By the dead gods, it's you!"

"Malkius?" She stood there, dumbfounded, as her husband ran up to her and threw his arms around her. Her eyes turned to Dane, filled with tears. He looked away, feeling the happiness inside him completely die. Even as people rushed around and lifted him up in the air, cheering his name, he had to force the smile out even though he felt totally numb. And with one last glance at Satrina, he could see she felt the same way.


Dane led a small party back to the other group of survivors, finding them all in the same place. The story of the duo's incredible rescue spread fast. Satrina led the others to the cave and without hesitation, they started making the place their home.

Those who had died at the hands of the terrestrials were buried. Those terrestrials that had survived were captured and brought back to the cave. They wailed in fear as they were forced with their own spears to enter the place they dreaded so much. The slit had been opened wider so that people could come in and out. After a few days, the rest of the pilgramage showed up with the wagons of supplies.

The Lukatians had never owned slaves, did not have a word for what they made the terrestrials do. But under threat of death, they forced the brutes to carve into the stone of the caves. All the noise made the cave hum lightly. They soon got started breaking down the crystals, moving them around, and even sending a few out of the cave to lessen the hum. The leaders decided that when they got settled enough, they would send crystals back to the other caves to trade.

As the months passed, the cave became more and more like a city. In the middle of the new city, two statues had been carved out of two of the purist, brightest crystals. Satrina stared up at the image of herself holding the rifle at the ready under the statue of Dane holding the whiskers of the beast that they had taken control of. It was a heroic scene indeed.

"I think they captured you well." Dane came out from behind her statue's legs. He stood between them and looked up. "Damn, they apparently carved you with clothes on." Satrina gave him a wane smile. They had not had the chance to talk in the long months they had been in the cave. He approached her slowly. "Looks like Sir Malkius doesn't want you in mens clothing anymore."

Pulling at her corset, Satrina gave a sigh and looked at her feet. "No. Despite everything, he still insists on making me his doll. And he is trying to make a hero out of himself just because he is my husband. I think he hit his head at some point after I lost him. He thinks he should be the mayor because of me, though he doesn't know a thing about politics."

Dane gave a little laugh. "Well, considering I'm getting every single vote but his, I think he'll be disappointed. What's funny is that I don't know a damned thing about politics either. But, I guess anything for the hope of the people." At Satrina's silence, Dane cleared his throat. He drew a little closer to her and held up a little black leatherbound book. Satrina looked up at him, confused. "It's my ... sex book. It has the name of every woman I've ever laid with. I was hoping you would sign it. I know it seems silly, but at this point, it seems the memory is all we have left."

Looking up at him, Satrina gave him a little smile. "But that was months ago. Surely you've added new names since..." The look in his eyes stopped her. She nodded, taking the book. She took the pen he offered and signed her name at the end. Snapping it shut, she handed it back. Their hands touched and they both felt an ache inside so deep and painful they wanted to just disappear.For briefest of torturous moments, their lips touched, making both their hearts pounds. Without another word, Satrina turned and, hiking up her many skirts, fled back toward her home that had been dug out of the stone, complete with several rooms. It was roughly made, but everything would be smoothed out in time once the scouts returned to the city they had left from with the news of their discovery and more came. Dane opened his mouth to call to her, but thought better of it and trod back to his home with a heavy heart.

About an hour later, Satrina heard someone enter her house as she sobbed into her bed of furs taken from the terrestrials. Looking up, she saw it was her own personal terrestrial. They had quickly learned that the brutes were far smarter than they had previously thought and in the course of nearly a year had learned their language fluently. Tatas had been the tribe's witchdoctor and leader. Many people had called for his head, but Satrina had pointed out that to kill him brutally would make them barbarians. The people listened when she called for kindness to the terrestrials. If it wasn't for her, the terrestrials would be starved and beaten until they had served their purpose and then killed and for that Tatas had made himself loyal to her.

"I saw." His deep, gutteral voice was often very soothing to her. Right now, she needed some soothing.

"Tatas, you can't tell anyone..."

Tatas held up his large hand. "I tell no one. But others, not so kind. Be careful." Without another word, he turned and left her room, making himself busy with collecting the mushrooms that they were growing around the house.


A whole convoy had made it to the new cave, bringing 400 new Lukatians. They had faired much better with the guides leading them. Soon, Satrina had a bed and furniture, and the cave echoed with new building efforts. Within a few months, the place started looking more and more like a city. The tale of Dane and Satrina became a legend and spread like wildfire through the new population. Before she knew it, she had become very popular and spent most of her time socializing with the other women, even though she longed to help build the city.

Another few months and still another 300 Luktians made it to the new city, called Singing Halls as the cave was long and was more like a hallway than a dome as the five major cities were. Altogether there were now 12 cities. Dane had been declared Mayor with only two votes against. Dane and Satrina only managed to catch glimpses of each other occasionally, and even then they tried to keep their eyes averted, afraid their emotions would be too evident for everyone to see.

Satrina walked home slowly after a long day of entertaining some of the newcomers with her heroic tales, knowing it would all get twisted fast into something it had not been. As she closed the door to her house, she turned and gasped. Sir Malkius was sitting at the table, stooped in a position that made him look like a predator about to strike out. She could smell the brath wine from where she stood. She saw the glaze of his eyes. Slowly, he stood, coming towards his wife. It was then that she saw what he held in his hand and her throat constricted. He held up the little leatherbound black book, his face twisted in rage. Behind him in the hall she saw one of the female terrestrials, a grin on her face as she slipped away, probably escaping out the window. Her heart skipped a beat as panic rose in her.

"I trusted you, wife!" He spat the word as if it had a bad flavor. "I thought you wouldn't fall. All that time I thought to myself 'if she's alive, she'll stay loyal.' All I've ever been is good to you, providing you with everything!" Satrina backed against the door, trying to open it to escape. Malkius leapt at her, slamming the door shut with one hand while grabbing her wrist with the other. She cried out, trying to twist out of his grasp.

Tatas was heading back to the house when he saw Slolo hurrying away from his house, an evil grin on her face. He had never trusted her, not even before they had all been enslaved. He rushed after her and grabbed her shoulder, spinning her around. He bared his fangs at her angrily. "What are you up to, you witch?" He spoke in their native tongue.

"Hopefully setting us free. The bitch and her lover caused this," she hissed back, jerking away from him and running off. Tatas' heart pounded. He knew at that moment what he had to do. If he killed Malkius, he would be hung, no matter what Satrina said, that had already been proved once. He ran off to the other side of the town, moving as fast as his short, powerful legs could take him.

"Let go. You're hurting me!" Satrina tried desperately to dislodge him, but Malkius held her tighter, dragged her to the table.

"I'm done with being kind to you, wench! You act as if I'm a cruel husband so that's exactly what I'll be!" He threw her toward the table and she fell over it. Before she could stand, his hand slammed against the back of her head, pressing her face into the wood. She screamed, trying to struggle, but he had far more strength than she. She felt him pulling her skirts up over her hips, and she knew what it was he intended to do.

"Malkius, please! I swear, I thought you were dead. We thought we were going to die. It only happened once, I swear it!" Desperation pounded in her chest, making her fight harder.

Malkius laughed. "How can I believe the words of the street slut, eh? How do I know you haven't been fucking him all this time? Your name is the last one in this book. And knowing Dane, that means you two have been together all this time!"

"No, Malkius, no, it was just the one time, I swear. We haven't even talked since then! Please, don't."

With an evil chortle, Malkius started to undo his breeches. Then he screamed as thunder rolled through the cave, shocking the whole city still. He backed away from Satrina and turned, gripping his limp arm. The shoulder had been shattered. Just a little bit more to the side and he would have been dead. He glared at Dane, standing in the doorway with his rifle up, this time pointed at his head, his expression hard. "If you touch my wife again, I'll kill you right now."

"Your wife?" Malkius laughed. "She's mine! She was given to me, and you defiled her!"

"She is not property. And you are no longer her husband." His words were tense, his finger twitching on the trigger. Tatas stood behind him, ready to leap in should the need be there. Even if he was hung, he'd die defending the woman who had defended him and his people. Satrina backed away from Malkius. He glared at her.

"You are mine, bitch. I can do with you as I please," his working arm reached behind him and he whipped around toward Dane, a knife glinting in the light. Thunder rolled through the caverns again, drowning out the dull thunk of Malkius' body hitting the ground.

Without hesitation, Satrina ran to Dane, who dropped the gun and held out his arms, holding her tightly as she sobbed in fear and relief. He squeezed his eyes shut as he felt tears in his own eyes. He breathed in her smell, stroking her pale hair, all of his emotions flooding through him. He had hated life all this time, and now she was finally with him. A crowd had formed outside, peering in with curiosity. It didn't take long for the whole city to be abuzz with the news of Malkius' death. The reason for it depended on who you asked. Tatas stood guard at the door, his powerful arms crossed over his huge chest. He looked terribly intimidating and no one tried to get past him.

Satrina looked up into Dane's eyes, the tears slowly drying on her face. He lowered his head and kissed her tenderly. The touch of her lips was so sweet. Everyday for the passed two years the memory had tortured him, and now he had her and he whispered in her ear the words Malkius never had. "My sweet Satrina, I love you so much." Satrina closed her eyes, leaning her head against his chest. She didn't need to say anything because he already knew. He suddenly swept her up and carried her through the door, Tatas standing aside. He followed his mistress through the town, his eyes keen for the witch who had caused this trouble. But Slolo did not show herself. He would have to find her later and punish her. The people parted as Dane took Satrina back to his place. It did not take long for the truth of what had transpired to spread. According to social rule, a man could not kill another man for his wife unless he could prove that the husband was abusing his wife. So no one could dispute his claim to Satrina. At the door of his house, Tatas stood guard as Dane took his love inside.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.