After Lift - Cover

After Lift

Copyright© 2010 by lordshipmayhem

Chapter 4: Amazing Grace

The funeral home director, a short, young Oriental man with an air of calm efficiency and eternal caring, ushered them into the chapel sharp at noon. Even though there were just the five friends and the six sets of concubines and dependants, their numbers almost filled the room. Everyone was hushed, as the oak pews and vaguely Gothic Revival style lent an air of solemn dignity to the affair. The director nodded at the minister and closed the doors.

The casket had been placed at the front of the chapel, centred and still open. A selection of the incredible profusion of plants had been placed at the head and foot of the casket, all the better to prove to all Earthly beings that here lay the body of a beloved father, husband and friend.

The Reverend (nobody had gotten his name) opened his notebook, placed a pair of reading glasses on the tip of his nose, and addressed the audience in suitably subdued tones.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are here to celebrate the life of General Samuel Covey, United States Army, Retired. We shall start with a prayer."

Everyone bowed their heads, atheists included. After all, it's only polite. The prayer proved unusually brief. For that matter, it proved ... unusual.

"For what we are about to receive, oh Lord, let us be truly thankful. Amen."

Heads snapped up. 'Say, ' Henry thought to himself, 'isn't that Grace? What the Hell?'" He could see his fellow mourners were just as puzzled — if not outraged.

"Now, before we start our eulogies, perhaps a few words from our corpse."

To everyone's astonishment, the Reverend reached his hand in and intoned, "Rise, rise and walk with me!"

"But I am a mortal, and liable to fall!" came a completely unexpected voice ... from the casket. Ronnie almost fainted, and one of the funeral home employees rushed over with smelling salts.

"There with but a touch of my hand and you will be supported in more than this, Ebeneezer Scrooge!" responded the Reverend.

The body in the casket sat upright and turned to look at the assembled crowd. They looked back, open-mouthed. All but Betty, whose silent laughter shook her body.

The corpse of the late General Covey glared at Henry. "Falls overboard like a British Tar indeed. Humph." He continued to glower. "I fall overboard BETTER than any British Tar ever dreamt of."

"Um, forgive me," Brad stumbled, still trying to gather his wits. "Aren't you ... aren't you supposed to be dead?"

Sam shrugged modestly. "I got better."

"What IS going on here?" demanded a still-shocked RC.

Sam looked over at the Reverend. "It's your show. I'm just playing the part of Yorick."

The Reverend turned toward the assembled congregation. "Perhaps I should introduce myself properly. I'm actually Tribune William Whitefeather, from the Office of Special Extractions. And this, as unusual as it has been, is indeed an extraction." He helped Sam from his wooden box. The two bowed to the audience like a magician and his assistant.

"But ... why? How?" Chuck was still confused.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the life of General Covey had been threatened — not by words, but by deeds, someone had made at least one attempt on his life. That person was a member of an Earth First cell that had taken on the task of preventing General Covey from being extracted. That, plus the crying need of a new colony for a top-notch military commander and if possible a kernel of experienced officers and NCO's for the Marine Brigade its raising, led me straight to the General's door."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.