Power Play - Cover

Power Play

Copyright© 2010 by lordshipmayhem

Chapter 1: First Period

Major James MacAllistor shivered in the nosebleed seats of the municipal arena. "And just why are we here again?"

"I got a call from an old friend who needs volunteers and concubines to fill out a colony called Thule, which is an ice planet. It's home to the Twelfth Marine Assault Brigade, the Chosen Frozen. And he wants volunteers and concubines who are already well acclimated to cold weather."

"And so you got the bright idea to come home to Brantford. Why this?" MacAllistor demanded.

"Because ... ICETHEPUCKICETHEPUCKICETHEPUCK! — look around you. What do you see?"

"My breath, mostly."

"Have the medical nanites check your eyesight." He switched to subvocal, keeping MacAllistor in the loop. 'AI, if we were to do an extraction here right now, what could we expect?'

'Tribune Whitefeather, there are one hundred thirty-two potential volunteers and one hundred fifty-seven potential concubines, plus one hundred forty-seven dependants.'

Major MacAllistor blinked. There certainly weren't too many in the stands, and the kids on the ice were too young to be sponsors. "That many? How?"

"We have three games here tonight — a Minor Midget, a Minor Peewee and a Bantam. That's six teams of seventeen kids each. The Minor Midgets and Bantams will have their own CAP cards, and most of them — being heavily involved in a game that involves and rewards quick thinking, fast reaction times, aggressiveness and teamwork — will have CAP scores of 6.5 or greater, plus there's the coaching staff. That's about 80 right there. There are two referees who are handling the younger games, and a third who will join them for the Minor Midgets, all three of them here tonight have CAP scores in the volunteer range. That should be no surprise as the referees are former youth players themselves. The Minor Peewees and Bantams have their parents with them, and at least one parent will have a volunteer-level CAP score, even if the Minor Peewees are too young to score yet — they're 11 years old. Most of the males who are over 13 will be volunteers, and some of the females will be as well — especially the five female players on the two Bantam teams. Most of the Minor Peewees will also CAP score in the volunteer range when they turn fourteen. Four teams are in the dressing rooms, getting ready for tonight's games. Their audiences are down there as well, or over there in the snack bar."

"So we're going to hit this rink?"

"No, not tonight. I've got bigger prey. This is just to reconnoitre, and make plans for the actual hit, this weekend in Sault Ste. Marie. Shoot it, SHOOT IT!! Ah, wide."

"Where??"

"The Soo. We're going to extract a hockey tournament. If I were that coach, I'd pull the goalie."

"WHAT? Are you mad?"

The Tribune's mind was not fully on the job of reconnoitring. "Not at all. Their opponents are a man short for the next two minutes because of that cross-checking penalty, and that would put six forwards against four. If they score during this power play, being two goals back this gets them within range of getting a tie."

"No, no, no, I mean about extracting at a hockey tournament."

"The tournament in question is a double, that is it is two tournaments in one, a Minor Peewee class and a Peewee class. Minor Peewees are 11 years old, and Peewees are 12 year olds, although I expect some of the Peewees will have turned 13 by now. That means we get lots and lots of actual volunteers, as their dads will tend to score high, and in a year or two lots and lots more volunteers as the kids themselves should score in the volunteer range when they start hitting 14 years of age. The dads should extract lots and lots of puck mommies and their offspring, and hopefully a lot of puck bunnies as well. Thirty-two teams of seventeen kids each; because of their age most of them will be escorted by both parents. Any siblings will also likely be present, especially younger siblings, which translates into minimal post-extraction dependant pick-ups. We should come close to filling a kilopod."

Down on the ice, a tiny figure bulky with protective padding went dashing for the visitors' bench. At the same time a regular player from the same bench skated madly for the knot of players standing around a circle visible through the ice just outside the home team's blue line. "Ah, see? They're taking my advice." The referee dropped the puck, and the knot of hornets began to swarm again, sticks frantically checking in an effort to steal the little disk of black frozen rubber. "HUSTLE, GENTLEMEN! HUSTLE!" Tribune Whitefeather exhorted.

To the Major, their reconnoitre had uncovered little more than a mass of whirling blades and clashing sticks. Despite his quilted jacket and knitted gloves, he still felt cold in the arena. The high-impact polystyrene seats, never intended for anyone who had taken the standard Marine body modifications like MacAllistor and Whitefeather, were cramped and hard. Even with an empty seat separating them, Whitefeather kept knocking the Major's arm and spilling his popcorn into his lap. MacAllistor didn't quite see the attraction of ice hockey at the moment.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.