It's Only A Steampunk Moon - Cover

It's Only A Steampunk Moon

Copyright© 2010 by SassyGal84

Chapter 6

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 6 - In a steam punk universe, ethernaut James Davidson finds himself gathering women faster than moon rocks

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Mult   Consensual   Reluctant   Romantic   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Historical   Steampunk   Science Fiction   Space   Harem   Orgy   Interracial   Black Female   White Male   White Female   Oriental Female   Hispanic Female   First   Masturbation   Oral Sex   Petting   Nudism   Slow   Violence  

It was a moment Lady Sarah Brent would always remember, being announced with James as she entered the main ballroom of India House. She knew there were more than a few envious eyes on her as James escorted her on his arm and, for a moment, she allowed herself the little fantasy that she had been announced as Mrs. James Davidson.

Of course, the story behind James' delay had circulated around the room, and when the Governor-General greeted the couple he had remarked, "My Commissioner of Police is very cross with you, young man. Wants me to ask you to leave some miscreants for the official police."

As the young couple made their way to the sideboard, James waved at the young German Prince, who was standing next to a rather large, ornate cake on top of which was a reasonable facsimile of the Prometheus.

"We'll stop by there in a few minutes, James, but there are a few people you will need to speak to first. And, of course, there are certain ladies present you will need to dance with."

"I was under the impression that I would be dancing with you all evening, Lady Brent."

Sarah smiled and patted James on the cheek. "That's very sweet of you, James, but of course that's quite impossible." Before James could object, Sarah put a finger lightly on his lips. "I see that you are as unschooled on these matters as poor Willie. Fortunately, he's had the good sense to listen to mother and me on these matters all his life, and it would be wise of you to do the same. The Japanese consul is in attendance and has brought his daughter. He will undoubtedly wish to demonstrate that he can conduct himself in a fashion equal to any European in attendance, which means he will wish his daughter escorted on the floor for at least one dance. And since the Prometheus is the event whose hour has come, he will undoubtedly expect an ethernaut to do the honors. And since you and Willie are the only two of that esteemed company who aren't complete wastrels," Sarah said with a smile, "the honor will fall to you."

"Where is your brother, anyway?" James asked, looking around.

"We'll get to him momentarily. I see that dreadful French woman is in attendance, and since her charge is a ward of the Peerage, it would be good form for you to lead her on the floor. The young charge, that is. She's something of an enigma."

"Anyone else?"

"Emily Waggoner." James stiffened at the mention of that name. "James, after tonight, I believe it's time you and Emily to bury the proverbial hatchet. She is a very fine young lady, and my very good friend. And as amusing as this feud between you two has been, I believe that, after the events of tonight, the time has come for it to cease. So you will have at least once dance with her. And I think a private chat as well."

"As you wish, Lady Brent," James said with an affected sigh of defeat. "Anyone else?"

"My mother, of course. I think she will wish to take the measure of the man who has been such a good friend to both of her children on this island. There she is now." Sarah turned and led James toward Lord William Brent, who was standing to the right of a woman who appeared to be an older, sterner version of Sarah. On the other side of the older woman was a tall, willowy blond young woman.

I wonder if it's too late to go back to fighting Indians, James asked himself as Sarah led him over to meet the two women standing next to his best friend.

"Mr. James Davidson, may I present to you my mother, Lady Devon."

James took Lady Devon's proffered hand and bowed over it, as Sarah had instructed him was the present custom.

"Willie you know, of course," Sarah continued, gesturing toward her brother, "and I have the honor of introducing the poor girl who mother has convinced to marry my rascal of a brother, Miss Kathryn Rice."

James bowed over the slender hand of the young willowy woman who would one day be the wife of the tenth Earl of Devon. She was certainly different from his friend's younger sister. For one thing, she was almost as tall as Lord Brent, who at five foot nine inches was second only to James himself in stature among the ethernaut corps. There was an enigmatic air about Miss Rice, and James was not quite sure what to make of her.

"Well, from the look of that stripe on your chest, Mr. Davidson, I may have to separate you from my son. I have the firm belief that the two of you compete to determine who will be the worse influence on the other."

That observation from Lady Devon quickly brought James out of his musing. Sarah was usually quiet and reserved until one got to know her, though she did have a forceful side, as she had demonstrated tonight. James wondered if Lady Devon's forthrightness would be a trait taken up by Sarah in the years to come.

"Mother! James was being chivalrous tonight."

"I'm having a bit of sport with Mr. Davidson, Sarah. No harm done." James wasn't sure how to interpret the emotions behind the gaze Lady Devon leveled on him. "From all reports, Mr. Davidson is an American Lancelot. Or perhaps Galahad would be more fitting. Well, whichever it is, would you be so good as to escort me to the side table, Mr. Davidson? Sarah, you may stay behind and provide a suitable chaperone for Miss Rice and your brother." Sarah's mouth had been opened to issue a protest, but immediately closed when her mother deftly outmaneuvered any objections she could raise.

"It would be my honor, your Ladyship," James replied, offering Sarah's mother his arm, and wondering what lion's den he was being led into.

"So, Mr. Davidson," Sarah's mother began, as her and James stepped away from brother, sister and fiancée, "what are your intentions toward my daughter?"

James managed not to trip over his own feet.

"Strictly honorable, your ladyship."

"Of that I have no doubt, Mr. Davidson. Willie speaks very favorably of you. As does Sarah. By the by, let's take the long way around to the sideboard, shall we? And try to keep that look of disconcertation off your face. I do wish to speak with you about my daughter, but there are a few other topics I wish to touch on as well."

James, confused at the turn of the conversation, nodded dumbly.

"And speaking of my daughter, I am assuming correctly that if the possibility of matrimony were to present itself, you might look upon such an opportunity in a favorable light?"

"Your ladyship, I have not allowed myself to dwell upon such a possibility. Your daughter is part of your ... peerage I believe is what it's called? Anyway, I'm just one rocket explosion away from living hand to mouth."

"Nonsense, Mr. Davidson. My husband informs me that the Company has already made back its investment even before the first launch. And he assures me a number of young men of ideas and adventure are making their way to this corner of the Empire because of you."

"Excuse me, your ladyship?"

"You heard me quite correctly, Mr. Davidson. Steer us to the right, if you please. I don't care to give that French woman the chance to eavesdrop on us." James dutifully redirected the two of them.

"Now, as I was saying, you are a young man of standing, and the British have always been fond of our explorers. I dare say if you were to put a notice in a London newspaper advertising for young men to follow you to the Moon, with very little chance of success, you would still have more volunteers than you would know what to do with. I would not doubt that there is a bent knee in your future, if you wish it. So I would think it safe to say that both my husband and I would consider a dashing young man who holds a high position in Mr. Edison's ventures to be a good prospect for our daughter."

"I ... I don't know what to say, your ladyship."

"Let it rest for now, Mr. Davidson. There are other matters I wish to discuss with you at present."

"First, I wish to congratulate you on your handling of the Prince. More than a few wiser and grayer heads thought you might have made a mistake."

"Your ladyship, every man I have in my ethernaut corps has earned his spot. The prince understands that now. And I think he'll appreciate it more if he earns his."

"His Highness had not led a life where he's had to earn anything, Mr. Davidson. He is a brilliant young man, but mercurial and without discipline. You and my son have managed to instill those virtues into him. What that mean in the future, I do not know. His father and grandfather are both strong, thriving men so we may see a new century before his Highness sits on the German throne. But I think these years on St. Lucia away from Bismarck and his army of Prussian tutors will serve Wilhelm and the world well."

"Now, Mr. Davidson, I'm going to share with you a confidence, because tonight you will be in a unique position to aid me."

"Me, your ladyship?" James was fairly sure he kept his voice from squeaking.

"You, Mr. Davidson. Twenty years ago, the older brother of a dear friend of mine met a young woman who was the younger daughter of a French Marquis. As you can imagine, such chance meetings can sometimes lead to ... well, my dear friend's brother was an honorable man, and deeply in love. He was a Company man, a commander of one of their companies, and he had obligations. But he did plan to return to France, and then England with his newfound love."

"Unfortunately, Mr. Davidson, the Company was embroiled in a small war in the northwestern part of India. Or perhaps further east, in Burma. It's been many years since the incident. My dear friend's brother did not return. The young French noblewoman who waited for him died in childbirth. When my dear friend discovered that her brother had produced a natural child, she immediately began a search for it, but the child had seemingly been swallowed by the earth, never to be seen again."

"My dear friend came to me, knowing my husband's position in the Company, as well as my own friendships established in the royal court. And so my husband and I searched in a discrete manner, and found this natural child. Unfortunately, the child had come into the care of a certain woman whose unscrupulous nature I don't care to discuss. Because of the nature of the child's birth, my friend was not able to act in a straightforward manner. I have been able to act as my friend's agent and, using several ruses, have been able to provide for the child, but unfortunately, I cannot separate the child from her guardian."

"What do you wish me to do, your Ladyship?"

"Do you see the lovely young woman over there? Standing next to the very stern older woman? The young woman with the dark curls and wearing the dress that is too revealing to be stylish?"

"Yes. I know her name. It's something French. One of the Pinkerton men pointed her and her guardian out to me one time. Told me I needed to keep clear of them."

"The child's name is Marie Olivier and her guardian is Claudette Dubois. Marie has just recently reached her age of majority and something might be done. Mr. Davidson, I cannot stress to you enough the foulness that is within the soul of Madame Dubois. But I am restrained in the way that I might act."

"What do you wish me to do, your Ladyship?"

"Dance with her tonight. Talk to her. I'm not sure what you can discover, but perhaps you will discover something on which I can act."

"I will do what I can, your ladyship."

Sarah's mother smiled. "I can see why Willie and Sarah are so fond of you. I think I've changed my mind about the sideboard, though. Would you escort me back to my family, Mr. Davidson?"


"See, dear Sarah, I have returned your ethernaut to you safe and sound." Sarah's mother disengaged herself from James, a charming smile on her face. "Now, why don't you dear children proceed to the station where the German Prince had made his residence? He seems beside himself that the four of you have not made an appearance. And if you will excuse me, I believe I will have a word with the Governor-General."

As James escorted Sarah towards the German Prince, she leaned in and noted in a soft voice, "You and my mother had quite a long chat, Mr. Davidson."

"Yes we did, Lady Brent."

"And may I ask what you talked about?"

"She wanted me to dance at least once with the young Frenchwoman, Marie Olivier."

"And for what reason did she ask you to do this?"

"She didn't say."

"Mr. Davidson, you are a very poor liar."

"I shall have to practice at it more then, Lady Brent."

Sarah made a noncommittal noise as they made their way through the crowd to the front of the German Prince's station.

James had to give the young German prince credit. Although the Prince was very excited about the display in front of him, he was very polite when he was introduced to Lady Brent and Lord Brent's fiancée, Miss Rice.

Lady Brent broached the subject of the model, which was a scaled replica of the Prometheus and the rail that would launch it. Prompted by questions from Lady Brent, the Prince went into a detailed discussion of the various stages the Prometheus would progress before reaching the apogee of the rail, at which point it would be launched into the atmosphere and beyond.

James watched in wonder as Lady Brent drew out the information from the Prince, and helping the Prince feel more comfortable in his knowledge. Since Sarah's mother had stated that she did not consider Lady Brent above his station, he was looking at her in a new light. James noticed Miss Rice quietly observing everything, but with no discernible emotions on her face. Wonder what Lord Brent thinks of her, he wondered.

"So you completed this model today?" Lady Brent asked in conclusion.

Two years ago, the Prince would have taken complete credit for the model in front of him. Instead he answered, "We have some very expert modelers in the Consulate, though I was able to help in a great number of details."

"Well, I do see the odd detail you've missed," Lord Brent noted. When the Prince gave Lord Brent a questioning look, Lord Brent answered, "There's not a wayward German ornithopter flying over the rail."

As James and Lord Brent laughed good-naturedly at the blushing young Prince, Lady Brent swatted them both. "Forgive my brother and his ill-mannered friend, your Highness. They should know better."

"They're my friends, Lady Brent, so I don't mind, but thank you," the Prince said with a blush.

Sarah was about to say something when the orchestra began playing a martial air. Turning, they saw the Governor-General approaching the German station.


As was customary at such events, there were a long list of speakers to address the assembled gala attenders, beginning with Governor-General Dallas. The Governor-General made the obligatory remarks on the benefits of the Edison Moon Project to the island, wishing success for tomorrow's launch and incidentally extending congratulations to the head of the ethernaut corps on his birthday tomorrow.

"He seems in a happy mood," James remarked to Sarah.

"He's going home to England in a few days. I believe he's hoping to make the visit permanent," Sarah replied.

The Governor-General then advised that he would be returning to England for a few weeks, for consultations with the Colonial Minister. In his absence, the newly appointed Deputy-Director, Sir Samuel White Baker, would be governing in his stead. A distinguished looking man in his late fifties with a very prominent beard approached the German station, escorted by a young, dark haired beauty with a dark-red hue to her skin.

"She's exotic," James said in an inquiring tone to Sarah.

"His grandniece, from the South Seas, though I've never heard the precise story of her relationship to Sir Baker," Sarah replied. "Sir Baker was governor-general of the Province of Equatoria, and I believe he was planning on returning to his roots of exploration. Sir Dallas convinced him to spend a couple of quiet years here, writing his memoirs, before he went abroad again. Which makes me believe Sir Dallas is hoping the Crown will see Sir Baker as a suitable replacement for Sir Dallas."

Sir Baker kept his remarks brief and to the point, much to the amusement and appreciation of the assembled crowd. The young German prince spoke next, and for a moment James was worried his young friend was going to launch into a schoolboy presentation on the physics of the launch itself, using the model as a reference. Instead, the beaming prince exclaimed his country's friendship with England and the United States, and gushed about James and Lord Brent, much to their disconcertment and the amusement of Lady Brent. The prince then had the German delegation bring out a large birthday cake, complete with sparklers and a copy of the Prometheus on top for James' birthday. The Prince then made a joke about James restricting himself to one piece if he still wanted to go to the Moon someday, which got a good chuckle from everyone in the room, especially James.

The Director came to the stage next, and introduced John Patterson as his replacement, noting that the director had been specifically picked for this job for his long experience at handling the director of the ethernaut corps, which again got a general chuckle from the audience.

"When did you know him, James?" Sarah asked.

"He was my commanding officer when I was in the US Army, serving out in my country's western frontier. His daughter came along with him."

"Oh?"

"I've known her since she was just a little older than the Prince. Her father informs me she wants to become an ethernaut now."

Sarah laughed. "Why, James, you are becoming quite the progressive! I would not doubt if you were a secret socialist."

James made a noncommittal grunt in reply.

Emily Waggoner's father gave the next speech, which garnered a light round of applause when he said, "In conclusion..."

Most of the speakers kept their remarks brief, and a goodly number of them had small tokens for James, including Sarah's mother, who presented a lapel pin as a gift from Queen Victoria, in honor of his many achievements.

The last speaker of the night, before James himself (who was expected to give a few words) was Ambassador Kido, who approached the German station bearing a box wrapped in bright, shiny foil.

"This should be interesting," James remarked to Sarah.

"It is with great honor that I address those assembled here tonight," Ambassador Kido began, as he set the large foil wrapped box on a nearby table. "It is also with great honor that I extend the best wishes of my Emperor, as well as myself, for a successful launch of the rocket Prometheus tomorrow, as well as for the successful completion of its mission. I shall keep my remarks brief, though I do have a gift that I wish to present to the distinguished leader of the valiant ethernaut corps, who celebrates his birthday tomorrow. This gift, though, is not merely given as a sign of respect from one man to another. It also represents the wishes of my Emperor, who desires peace, cooperation and a fast friendship with the nations that have bonded together to make the dream of reaching the Moon an achievable reality. Mr. Davidson, you might find this a gift that you will need some assistance in opening. Perhaps your esteemed mathematician, Sonya Kowalevski, would assist you in this endeavor?"

There was a low murmur of excitement and curiosity as a confused Sonya joined James on the stage. James held the foil wrapped package in his hands and Sonya, upon gaining a nodding approval from the Japanese Consular, began opening up the box. Inside were a few cardboard cards with holes punched in them, along with a binder of what appeared to be diagrams and notes describing the diagrams. Sonja started thumbing through the books, getting more and more excited.

"Is this what I think it is? And does it work?"

Ambassador Kido nodded. "The young man, Yazu Royoichi, patented a mechanical calculator at a very early age, and was considered something of a prodigy. He had several of the writings of a number of your esteemed scholars on the science of mechanical computation. It was after the death of Charles Babbage that my young countryman wished nothing more than to see Mr. Babbage's vision fulfilled. My Emperor welcomed the opportunity for the advancement of sciences in Japan, and it is the Emperor's wish, as well as our young Japanese inventor's, that Yazu Royoichi might be allowed to travel to St. Lucia to work on the great Moon Project, and to build a copy of his machine for that Project's uses."

"James, do you know what this is?" Sonya asked excitedly. "This is an Analytical Engine! If these notes are correct, we could have an actual, working Analytical Engine right here on St. Lucia!"

James, feeling somewhat lost, asked, "Is that good?"

"Oh, it's more than good! It is ... oh, I have to go show this to Deedra!" As Sonya ran off into the crowd, James shouted out after her, "Excuse me, but I believe that's MY birthday present!", which got a general chuckle from the crowd.

Turning to the Japanese Consular General, James said, "Ambassador Kido, I can only speak for myself, and I guess you have some talking to do with some other folks on the island but, judging from the excitement of our chief mathematician, I'd say the help of your young inventor and the Japanese people as a whole would be most welcome. Thank you very kindly, sir."

The Consular General gave James a smile and shook James' hand in the western style before returning to the crowd.

"Well, first of all, I would like to say that as far as birthday celebrations go, this has been one of my best, even if I didn't get to keep all the gifts people gave me," James said, which garnered a laugh from the crowd, even as Sonya Kowalevski and Deedra Helmholtz pored over the diagrams and notes of James' gift in the back of the room, oblivious to everyone and everything around them.

"And I also have to say I consider myself the luckiest man in the world, because on my birthday, I will be here, on this island, watching as a rocket ascends to the heavens. Tomorrow we will be able to begin answering the questions man has asked himself since he first gazed up at the stars. Undoubtedly, once we begin our explorations, we will raise more questions than we can answer, but I look forward to that as well. And I think it should be noted that, even though this project began with a pledge made by one man, this is the culmination of the work of many men ... and women. We are doing this together. I don't doubt that, in the years to come, there will be some men who weren't here who will try to claim credit for this success, and the successes to follow, but I think History will laugh at them, and instead remember the hard work of the men and women who were actually here, who gave their sweat, their inspirations and their hopes to this shared dream of men and women everywhere. Tomorrow, we will begin our climb to the stars above, and see what lies beyond."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.