By the Light of the Moon
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2010 by Shin Eris

"Ricky, I'm taking the car, OK?" Tell said as she led my son out the front door.

My son. I like the sound of that. Tell was wearing a black velvet dress with one of Mom's 'princess' ruby necklace. I also noticed that she was using the twin pigeon hairpin I made for her last Christmas. When I made it, I made sure to give her a very strong compulsion to wear it every time she went out. Unfortunately, it wasn't strong enough to override her strong sense of style, so she never used the ruby hairpin whenever it clashed wrongly with her attire.

"Sure, don't let little Vicky out of your sight."

"I'm not you!" she said, probably referring to yesterday's incident at the mall. I accidentally managed to lose little Vicky after a visit to the ice cream parlor. When Tell got back from the powder room, she was so furious, she practically kicked me out of the chair I was sitting on and told me in no uncertain terms to look for him. We found him back at Baskin-Robbins, gazing longingly at the many different flavors offered. I was so glad to have found him that I bought him another cone of ice cream.

"I said I was sorry!" I shouted as I heard the front door close. Tell had a 'hot date' with Liz and she was dying to show Liz her new nephew. Frankly, I couldn't see what the appeal was. I thought girls wouldn't bring small kids on dates.

The moment Liz and little Vicky left, I changed the channel from Cartoon Network to HBO. Seeing as there was nothing on the tube, I changed the channel to Discovery Channel, booted up my laptop and tried to do my work with the sound of seals, or penguins in the background. For some reason, I just can't do any work in a totally quiet environment. I was making some good headway with my work until the bell chimed.

When the bell chimed again, I shouted, "Tell, would you open the door, please?"

Again the bell chimed. "Tell! Please open ... oh, right. I forgot you're out. Urgh, guess I have to do this myself."

I got up from the floor (I had a habit of sitting on the carpet barefoot instead of the couch) just as the doorbell chimed again, "Coming!" I said loudly.

Grabbing the door and opening it halfway, I said, "Yes, can I help you ... Oh, it's you. What do you want, Chris?"

He pushed the door open (and me aside) and simply strode in like he owned the place. I was mighty pissed off.

"Chris! I never said you can come in! Get out!" I said as I pulled on his left hand, trying to pull him out. It only achieved the opposite effect as he simply pulled me to him in one quick move, causing me to fly into his waiting right arm. Then his left arm went around my waist.

"I said we're going to talk later, didn't I?" he asked as his right hand squeezed on my upper arms. I looked up at him from my half fallen position and just couldn't help but admire his strength. If only I had half his strength, we would probably still be friends.

"Now, where's this son of yours?" he asked as I freed myself from his arms.

"None of your business! He's my son, I won't let you lay a finger on him."

"Oh? And who is going to stop me if I want to?" he asked as he took a step towards me.

"I will. You want to hurt my son, you gotta get through me first!" I said as I also took another step forward.

"I can live with that," he said in response as he grabbed my upper arms and proceeded to give me a soul-scorching kiss. I probably took a bit too long before I pushed him away.

"What the fuck was that?!" I said as wiped my mouth with the back of my hand.

"Well, you did say I have to get through you before I can see our son. So I thought, fair enough. I just need to get the mother to approve of me with the son. So that's why I kissed you. Have I won you yet?" he said with a huge grin.

"OK. One, there's a damn lot of things wrong in your words that I don't even know where to start correcting you. Two, I am not a 'mother'. Three, he is not 'our' son. Four, who gave you the right to kiss me?"

"Well, your mom said it's OK."

"Excuse me, did you just say my 'mom'?"

"Yup, she even bought us the house I'm staying in now so we won't have to spend any of our hard earned money buying another house."

"Wait wait wait. That big house in South Pasadena, the one you're living in now, that was mom's money?"

"Yup, every single penny. Except for the decorations, that was my money."

I'm going to kill mom. I'm going to kill her twice. And then twice more.

Then I thought of something. "Why'd she bought you the house? She didn't give me a cent when I rented this one last time."

Chris shrugged. "She said this house is not suitable to raise a family."

Great! I change my mind. I'm going to kill mom thrice, then thrice more. Calm down, Ricky. You don't want to lose control and push your fangs and nails out again. It was damned hard to get myself to be calm enough to retract the fangs and nails this afternoon.

"So, can I see our son, now?"

I glared at him and said, "He's not OUR son! He's MY son. You have nothing to do with him. Now, get..."

It was at that point that a red pigeon flew in through the open window. I knew that bird. It was the same one I 'sacrificed' to make Tell's hairpin last Christmas, except that at that time, its color was gray.

Christ whistled. "Wow, a red pigeon. I've never heard of a pigeon with red feathers."

I raised my left hand and the bird flew to it and gently landed on the palm of my hand.


"Was that a fun movie or what?" I asked little Victor as I held his hand while we walked to our car.

"Vicky like monkey. But ghost is scary." he said, gripping my hand a bit tighter.

"Ghost? Hum, you mean the mummy?"

"Mummy? The mummy was pretty."

"Mummy? Pretty? But the mummy was ... oh ... hahaha, no honey, that was a different mummy. I'm talking about..." It was at that moment that my cellphone beeped, indicating an incoming message.

I looked at the screen and read the message. It was from Liz. "Oh great! Now you're telling me you can't go out, after I've waited for you for over an HOUR!" I deleted the messaged and put it back into my handbag.

"Who you talking to, Aunt Tell?"

I bent over to put my face right in front of little Vicky's. Then I touched his cute little button nose lightly with my forefinger and said, "Now, don't you worry about that. Hm, what do you say we go for some late dinner?"

"But Momma said all good boys go to bed early."

"Oh, you poor thing..." just then I stopped walking as a large dog, probably some kind of wolf breed blocked our way. Through the dim overhead lights, I could see foam dripping from its mouth and its red eyes watching our movements.

In my book, foamy mouth always means a rabid dog. Which means he's ready to bite. I can probably survive a bite or two, but little Vicky most definitely can't. Seeing how intent it was at eying little Vicky though, I just knew that he was the first target. I slowly unzipped my handbag as to avoid making a sound, and grabbed the pepper spray I kept in there. I hope I could fire it accurately when it pounce. Funny, normally when I'm faced with something this scary, I would be trembling and holding on to something stronger. Now I'm not a little bit scared, just worried for little Vicky's life. So I gently pushed little Vicky so he'd be behind me. I have to give the boy credit, he didn't cry or try to run. Running from a dog is probably the worst mistake anyone can do. I sure hope such an option was available though.

The moment the dog couldn't see little Vicky though, it turned its red eyes on me and snarled, showing his foamy fangs. When he reared up to pounce, I took out the bottle of mace, shook it lightly and held it firm. Instead of pouncing though, it transformed into a bigger dog, bigger than a man and it was walking on its two rear feet instead of on all fours.

I staggered backwards as images flew around in front of me. Images so unsettling, of demons and and creatures of light, of talking flames and faces in the mirror. Countless images appeared in front of me, countless voices, some I knew, some I didn't, until it settled on one image.


"Shhh! Quiet ... don't cry, Tell." Vicky said to me. She was about to cry herself, her eyes were full of tears.

"Why? Why did she kill him?" I asked Vicky. We were sitting together, huddled in fear inside her wall closet.

"I don't know, I don't know why Mommy would do that."

"No no, that's not your mom, Vicky. That's a monster. That monster has eaten your mom. That's not your mom," I said as I hugged her tighter. I tried my hardest to hold her tight, so her shaking would stop. Then I realized that it was me that was shaking, not her. I was shaking and I didn't even realize it. But I couldn't stop the shaking myself.

I touched the wound on Vicky's left leg. It was still sticky with dried blood from the time the monster slashed at it with its claw. We only managed to escape because I pushed the cupboard down to fall onto the monster's back, allowing us to escape upstairs. We blocked the door with everything we could find. Dressers, cupboards, chairs. We know it won't stop the monster, but we hoped it will at least give us some time. I don't know what we're expecting for, probably some kind of help. The neighbors can't be all that deaf to not hear all the howls and noises made by the monster. If help is going to come at all though, I pray it will come quickly.

Then I heard the door to the room being smashed from the other side. The door held true, and I heard the monster howl before trying to smash it again. I could hear the door creak and I could feel dust falling from the ceiling. I heard the monster try to smash the door open again but this time it was accompanied by a howl of pain. After that, everything was quiet. No hammering, no smashing, no howling. Everything was quiet, apart from our own heavy breathing and sobbing.

"Is it gone?" I asked Vicky as I loosened my hold on her.

"I..." she wasn't able to continue her words as a pair of furry arms punched through the back of the wall closet and pulled her away from me, at the same time tearing a large hole in the back of the wall closet.

I was dragged through the hole into Vicky's parents' bedroom as Vicky and I was still holding each others hands tightly.

"Don't let her take me!" Vicky cried. The monster was pulling her out of the second story window by her waist. Not two seconds later, the monster jumped out to the yard, carrying with it Vicky and me. I could literally feel my bones break when my body hit the ground hard, but still I didn't let go of Vicky, and she didn't let go of me.

The monster was dragging us across the yard when we stopped moving. I looked up at Vicky and instead of Vicky's face, I saw the monster glaring down at me with its red eyes. I could only watch as I saw one of its big hands came closer to my face. Then I saw the big hand shook before it was pushed to the side by invisible hands.

"Don't you dare touch my daughter, werewolf!" said a voice from my left. In my adrenaline filled brain, I wasn't able to make sense of the voice at the time, but I was nevertheless glad to hear another human voice.

I looked to my left and all feelings of relief was washed away. The voice that I thought to be human, was actually the voice of a demon. A flesh and blood demon with wings, horns and tail, in the deceptive form of a beautiful blond girl in the early years of teenhood.

The monster roared at this demon. It then let go of Vicky and charged at this demon that was making some kind of gesture with both her hands. Just as the monster was about to throw a punch at the teenage demon, the demon straightened her arms forward, releasing a spiraling blast of whitish mist that hit the monster with such a force that the monster flew above my head and smashed through the garden door at the side of the house.

Then another demon, one slightly older swoop down behind the younger demon. "Mistress, the barrier is secure. As she's only a few hours old, the only way she can get out will be by killing me," she said with a hint of pride.

"How secure?"

"Total physical, audio and visual. We're in our own world. As far as anyone else knows, it's just another boring night of Bridge."

"Perfect! Let's go," the younger demon then started walking towards us.

"Tell, let's get out of here, they're going to drag us to hell!" Vicky said as she tried to pull me to stand.

"I can't. I can't feel my legs."

"Get up, Tell!" she said as she started pulling me backward. I could feel her limping from the wounds on her left leg.

In my fear, I didn't realize that I gripped Vicky's hands a bit too tightly that she grimaced in pain, "Vicky! Help me, please. Don't leave me here!"

"I'm not leaving you, but we must go, come on!" she said as she pulled me hard, dragging me slowly across the grass away from the two demons that were walking towards us.

"Vicky, stop doing that! You're only going to make her injuries worse. Healing is so not my style," said the younger demon who appeared to be annoyed.

Vicky, in her stupidity, chose to stop and ask, "How do you know my name?"

"Vicky! She's a demon. They all know our names. Father Aston told us it's how they corrupt humans, remember?"

"Father Aston? That silly old fool? The only thing he knows for sure is how to mix whisky with ginger. How dare he spread such lies about us," said the younger one again.

"Well Mistress, it is one of the most common misconception widely accepted by the church."

"VICKY! Snap out of it and start moving!" I yelled at Vicky when I noticed that she still hadn't moved.

"My little star, stop fighting. Your injuries are too serious. Come, let Mommy have a look," she said as she knelt in front of me. I was too afraid to move.

"Who are you? How come you know us?" Vicky said from behind me, her hands still holding mine tightly.

"How can I not?" the younger one said as a pinkish glow appeared from the palms of her hands, "I fetched you and my children from school almost everyday."

"No, only Mrs. Willows fetched me from school everyday."

"Well, there you go."

"Mommy?" I said as the meaning of her words sunk in.

"Yes, Sweety?" she looked up at me, then one of her hands moved to touch my forehead. In reflex, I moved my head away from her hand.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.