A New Life - Cover

A New Life

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

Chapter 6

When I awoke early the following morning my subconscious had made the decision over Lizzie. I knew that whatever she said, what she really wanted commitment and I wasn’t yet ready to give that. As my daughter had pointed out during her visit, the only female to capture my heart, other than Aggie of course, was Lisa Marie.

Thinking of those two made me realise that it was time to get up and take Aggie out. I would head past Lisa Marie’s and if she was out and about, as she usually was, then I’d take her with me. I got my usual morning rituals out of the way and one man and his dog set off.

I was happy to see the little girl playing and even happier at her excited reaction to joining us. It was a good start to the day, I even got a little smile from her mother. With Lisa Marie along our progress was somewhat slower than normal and the long climb up to the ridge was done with her astride my shoulders. My slow pace didn’t affect my overly energetic collie in the slightest other than forcing her to cover even greater distances between running off and returning.

I got one reasonable shot of a local village but with an inquisitive six year old (is there any other type?) along, I was limited with my camera work.

On the way back my little friend was enthralled with a tractor that was working in a local field. She told me she had always wondered why some people had those big awkward cars.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al_8HgVUN9_pjQ_hRnA_KaGs_e6J?e=JPFQim

The last half mile or so was done, at Lisa Marie’s insistence, once more with her across my shoulders. How much was because of her plea of tiredness and how much because she openly loved being up high, I’ll leave you to guess.

‘Would you like a drink?’ Donna asked as we got back, giving me a real shock. This was the first time that she had spoken to me other than in answer to a direct question.

‘I’d love a cup of coffee, if that’s all right,’ I answered politely.

‘I’ve only got the cheap stuff,’ she said with her head bowed once more, ‘It’s all that I can afford, sorry.’

‘Nothing to be sorry about, we all need to live within our means. Sometimes I have to give Aggie here mere sirloin instead of fillet.’

She looked up with shock until she realised that I was kidding. She just about smiled.

‘Coffee as it comes please,’ I said.

We sat down whilst the miraculously recovered Lisa Marie took Aggie outside to play. With me in the house I wasn’t worried about her running off, so I relaxed for the first time in Donna’s home. I realised that it was also the first time I’d been invited to sit. I noticed that Donna sat as far from me as was possible.

‘I thought I should thank you,’ she started, ‘not many around here stick up for me. Most think like Mrs. Hawkins though they aren’t usually as outspoken.’

‘Donna, I admire you tremendously,’ I said and could immediately see her shock. ‘You did what you had to do to protect your child. You thought only of Lisa Marie and not of the consequences to yourself. You still do everything in your power to make her happy. I know that you don’t really like being around me but you tolerate it because it allows your daughter to be happy. How can I not admire and respect a woman like that?’

She didn’t reply but I saw just a hint of a smile, more in her eyes, which I now saw were blue. I stayed only a short time as I didn’t want to push Donna into accepting my presence.

The rest of that Sunday was hectic and for all the wrong reasons. It started before I’d even got back to my cottage. I was stopped by one of the villagers, who I’d met at the Bar but couldn’t remember her name. The friend she was with reminded me by calling her Margaret.

‘I’ve heard you are good around the house, any chance you can help me out with something my husband’s useless at?’ She asked me while smiling at her friend.

Stupid me didn’t spot the obvious yet I wasn’t that stupid not to ask what. ‘What do you need help with?’

‘A bit of plumbing. I hear you are very good at that.’

When her friend laughed before adding, ‘he’s certainly doing all the servicing up at the Manor.’

‘That’s what I’ve heard too,’ said Margaret. Both women looked alike, late thirties to early forties, dyed blonde hair. The only difference was that whilst the one I knew was somewhat overweight, her friend had a delightful figure and even better legs. Neither were especially good lookers but nor were they ugly either. Back when I was in Stoke I would have bedded the slim one and maybe the other as well. It finally dawned on me as I thought that, that was the ‘help’ they were talking about.

‘So Mr. Newcomer, are you up to servicing a couple more locals?’ The second woman asked with a giggle.

‘Sorry ladies, but I never date married women.’ I said with a forced smile. After what I had been through, there was no way I would do anything with a married woman, even one as sexy as the second woman, plus I was never really into sexually aggressive women, except in the bedroom of course.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.