Tipping Point - Cover

Tipping Point

Copyright© 2010 by Coaster2

Chapter 8: Growing toward a Question

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 8: Growing toward a Question - Stan Copely reaches a point where he knows he must change his life's path. What he can't foresee is just how big that change will be.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Cheating   Safe Sex   Oral Sex   Slow  

My business continued to grow over the next three months. Word got out about my contract with Winston Candy and my success with the Helmvac start-up. Soon, I was getting calls from companies I had never heard of, asking for advice on one machine or another. I was wise enough to know that I could get bogged down in learning new equipment if I wasn't careful, so each time I got one of those calls, I requested a manual and a written description of the problems they were encountering, preferably with a package sample demonstrating what was happening.

On more than one occasion, I was able to solve the problem over the telephone, based on the sample and description. It didn't earn me any money, but it did earn me goodwill, and I counted that as future money in the bank. On the others, I tried to evaluate just how complicated the problem might be before I committed myself. After a few of these, I got fairly good at "distance assessment." It wasn't a perfect system, but it did cut down on the running around.

I also found I was spending more and more time on paperwork. The bane of small business was the need to keep good, organized records of everything, and with Jilly's and Teresa's help, I knew what my responsibilities were. All well and good, except for the amount of time this was sucking up. Invoicing, payables, banking, and all the other necessities of keeping myself afloat. By the beginning of April, I knew it was going to wear me out if I didn't do something.

At the suggestion of Teresa, I hired a part-time accountant from a national firm. They would look after my basic needs, keep my books in order, and keep me informed of any delinquent accounts, or problems with payables, and of course, taxes. I had acquired a line of credit at my bank, and it relieved me from having to use a credit card with its outrageous interest rates. When I looked at my financial status at the end of the first quarter of the year, I was very surprised. I had a substantial cash-on-hand balance, and a further nice package of current receivables. My accounting firm pronounced me well on my way to success.

There was a price to pay for all this activity, however. My social life was almost non-existent. I had seen Sue Palotti only that one time before she moved to Charlotte. I met her at her hotel suite in early March and helped her get acquainted with the plant equipment, particularly the Helmvac. By the time my two day visit was over, I had a feeling of confidence that Sue would be fine in her new job. On the other hand, I didn't know when I would get to see her again. My schedule was filling quickly, and I felt we were rushing to cram in as much sex as we could in the time available.

Carmen Croft called me and asked me to stop by her office the first week of April. My divorce was now final, and she had some paperwork for me, along with a bill I was sure. It gave me a chance to see Teresa again. I felt guilty about suggesting we might date, and then getting involved with Sue. I owed her an explanation at least.

When I finished with Carmen that morning, I asked Teresa if I could speak to her in private. She looked a bit surprised, but agreed.

"Teresa, some time ago I suggested to you that I might want to ask you for a date when my divorce was final."

She nodded. "I remember."

"I don't know how to put this exactly, but ... I've become involved with a woman that I've known for several years. I didn't expect that, but I felt badly that I might have suggested I was interested in dating you, and then not done anything about it. I'm embarrassed at how this must sound to you."

"Don't be, Stan. You're a nice man and I value your friendship. But ... to be honest, a friendship is all it would probably ever be. I'm not looking for any romantic involvement at this time. I do enjoy having a skating partner on Sunday afternoons, though," she smiled.

I felt a big sense of relief. She wasn't upset and didn't have any hopes for us as a couple. I could date Sue with a clear conscience.

"Skating ends soon. What will you do then?" I asked.

"I'll go back to my walking. I like to walk the trails in Stanberry Park. You're welcome to join me. I usually go in the morning, before it gets too crowded."

"That sounds great. I'll look forward to it. I've been in that park before, but it's been a few years, now." I was glad we would be able to preserve our friendship. Teresa was a fine woman and very helpful to me as well.

The hockey season was also drawing to a close. I'd been able to make several games and I was in much better shape than my first attempt. It was fun, and I met a bunch of guys who I enjoyed being with as well as playing with. We swapped notes on our jobs and our personal lives. I thought there might be a couple of business contacts there as well.

I had time to think about Sue and our future. I was set in my mind that we would try and make a life together. Whether she would want to marry after being single all these years, I didn't know. She did tell me that Elizabeth was born out of a back-seat encounter with a guy shortly after she finished high school. He was never marriage material, proving it by skipping town at the first available opportunity after promising to provide some child support. The last she had heard from him, he had "gone west," and hadn't been heard from by any of her friends since.

She had raised her daughter with the help of her parents for the first five years, living at home during that time. She saved enough money for a down payment on a small townhouse, then took over full parental responsibility herself. She had a job, and she was determined to make it on her own. The more I learned about her, the more I admired her courage and strength. I didn't have to be told she was a great mother.

As my business grew, I began to think seriously of taking on another person. I was at the point that I could probably afford it, but I wanted to be sure. I almost waited too long. When I finally got around to advertising for someone to train and work on a variety of packaging machinery, it was the end of March. It was only good luck that I found the ideal candidate right in my own back yard.

Dorothy "Dody" Whitmarsh live barely three blocks from my apartment. She was twenty-one years old and a graduate of a mechanical training academy here in town. When I first interviewed her, I was a bit concerned about her. She was a big girl, over six feet tall, and well over two hundred pounds. She wasn't particularly attractive, with what looked to be acne scars on her cheeks and forehead. I felt sorry for her. On the other hand, she was neatly dressed and presented herself well.

My concerns were quickly put aside when I began to talk to her about the job. She was a mechanical "junkie." Since she was a kid, she had been taking things apart and seeing how they worked. If something was broken, her first instinct was to try and repair it. That included her parents' appliances. Along the way she also taught herself a great deal about electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems. Two years at the academy rounded out her education. She had the requisite skills, and was ready to tackle anything ... in her opinion.

I handed her a couple of my manuals for a folding carton machine and a vertical form-fill-and-seal machine. I asked her to take them home, study them, and come back in two days and we would discuss what she had learned. The light in her eyes when I said that could have lit the whole room. She was excited that she might get a chance at this job. I was just hoping she was half as good as she thought she was.

When I got back from my short trip to Indianapolis, she was waiting for me. She had left a post-it note on my apartment door asking me to call her. She was ready for the "test." I laughed. She was definitely enthusiastic. That was a good sign if she could combine it with talent. I called her and she came to my apartment that evening.

"Well, Dody, what did you think of the two manuals? Were you able to understand how the machine worked?"

"I think so. I would have liked to have seen them in action, but I didn't know where to find one to watch, so I had to figure it out myself. The boxboard machine was the easiest. It showed the collapsed carton, how it set up, filled, and closed. I didn't have any trouble following that.

"The other machine was a little trickier to understand. It was a plastic film machine that took a roll of film and made it into a filled package. When I stopped to think about it, the type of machine told me what was happening: form the film, fill the package, and seal the package. It's a vertical machine, so the film travels from top to bottom. I think I understand it now. I'd like to see one run though. I know I could learn a lot from that."

I liked how she approached the problem of understanding the machines. She was looking for the process. What was happening and when was it happening. I quizzed her on the mechanics of both machines and she was right on top of that part of the system.

"Okay, Dody. If you can give me some time this week, I'll take you in to a couple of my customers, and we'll look at some operating equipment."

"Oh, sure. I can give you all the time you need. Just tell me. I'm working for my Dad right now, so he knows I'm applying for this job. I think you know him. He plays hockey for Kranzen Electric. His name is Doug."

It clicked. I should have recognized the last name. Doug was a big, tall forward on our team. I guess I didn't pay that much attention to last names, but I remember now that he ran the service department at a local Ford dealership.

"What do you do for your Dad?"

"Oh, I'm not allowed to work on the cars. I just wash them, clean up around the bays, look after the recycling, that kind of thing. Not very interesting, but I needed a job to pay for my schooling."

"Well, this is a lot different. If I hire you, you'll get your fill of working on machinery. Some of it, you will have never seen before. Some of it will be so old, it might not have a manual to follow. You'll have to figure it out from what the people on the floor tell you, and what your know-how tells you. That's the fun part of the job," I said with a smile.

"I really want this job, Mr. Copely. I can't think of anything I'd rather do than work on these machines. I'm sure I can do a great job for you."

If enthusiasm was any indication, Dody would make a good employee. It was only left for me to decide if she could do the job. Much of her work would be on her own and in a different city. No one to lean on, then. I had a couple of nearby jobs scheduled this week, so I planned to take her along to see how she made out.

I had talked to Dave Thomas about not treading on his toes when I got inquiries in what had been his "territory." Dave was good about it. All he wanted to know was if it was an existing customer. He had all the business he could handle and didn't want to expand any further. He e-mailed me a list of his customers, and I could see I had plenty of latitude to develop business closer to home without infringing on his territory.

He hinted that he and his wife had talked about selling the business and retiring to Florida. I didn't think he was that old, but he told me he was fifty-eight, and had enough saved to retire, not counting what the business might be worth. I asked him to let me know when he decided to call it quits. I had no idea if I could afford to buy him out, but at least I would get a chance to look at it.

In the meantime, Dody and I set off in my car for Frankfort, Kentucky, and then to Evansville, Indiana. It wasn't too strenuous a trip, but it would give Dody a good look at a variety of equipment in the two plants. I should be able to evaluate her abilities by the time we got back to Cincinnati.

I didn't need that much time. Almost from the beginning, I could see the native skill of the girl. She understood systems, saw what was happening on the machine, learned from comparing one system to another, then made some deductions. She wasn't bashful or hesitant. Better still, she wasn't often wrong in her assumptions. She had an analytical brain, and it got to the heart of the problem quickly. The truth was, given some experience, she would be better at this job than I am.

I knew I was going to hire her before we left Frankfort, but I didn't say anything to her. We stopped for supper at a restaurant in Louisville, before finding our motel in Evansville. The topic of conversation was all about what she had seen in the Frankfort plant. They had form-fill-and-seal film packaging equipment, as well as folding carton and corrugated case making and packing machines. It was a good mix to give her a sense of what we would be working on, and how different each type of machine was.

In Evansville, I introduced myself and Dody to the plant manager. I hadn't been in this operation before, and I needed to get a feel for what their needs and expectations were. The equipment was straightforward, but I wanted to demonstrate to Dody how I would behave in a new environment where I didn't know anyone, or anything about their business. They had contacted me at the recommendation of one of my long-time clients.

I sat with the plant manager, then with the maintenance manager to get a sense of what was needed. It was pretty clear-cut. They had a fairly good understanding of their equipment, but they were lightly staffed and could get overwhelmed if more than one machine gave them problems. I suggested a scheduled preventative maintenance program, and offered to draw one up for them to review. There would be no cost for the proposal, and they quickly agreed.

Throughout my introduction and discussion with my prospective customer, Dody hadn't said a word other than to introduce herself. But she was paying close attention to what was being said and suggested. This part of my business didn't have anything to do with fixing machines. It was all about getting the client's confidence and making sure I understood what they expected from me.

When we left the plant later that morning, there was an audible "phew" from Dody. I turned to her and asked, "So, what did you think of that meeting?"

"I've learned I've got a lot to learn," she smiled. "Just fixing machines isn't enough, is it? It's about listening to the customer, and finding out what they want. I do have a question, though. What happens if what they want isn't what they need?"

"Ah ... good question. Usually, the customer is always right. But sometimes, it isn't in his best interest, especially if he's going to spend money on something he doesn't need. I'd rather turn down the business than do that to them. It may not be what they want to hear, but it will be the truth as we know it."

"We?" She had a surprised look on her face which only caused me to grin.

"Yeah ... we. You're hired, Dody. I think you're going to be just fine. The only thing I ask is that you don't guess. If you're not sure, don't guess ... ask. I'm only a phone call away. Other than that," I concluded, sticking out my hand, "welcome to Copely Services."

Dody was excited and jam-packed of questions on our trip back to Cincinnati. I might have gotten tired of it, but she was full of enthusiasm and happiness over her new career. I was going to have to break her in slowly to give her more experience. That meant taking her on road trips, and that also meant extra expense.

At Teresa Croft's suggestion, I caught a break from the state employment office when I learned that there were some tax breaks for small businesses hiring young people who hadn't been in the workforce before. That would help offset some of the training costs. I was happy to have the help, and Dody was anxious to get started.

I called Doug Whitmarsh and told him that I had hired Dody to work with me. He already knew, of course. His daughter was too excited not to tell anyone and everyone. I told him I was impressed with her skills and that I thought she would be a good "partner" in this business. He thanked me for giving her the opportunity. I got the impression he was worried she wouldn't find a job that she really wanted. I had solved that problem.

It took me less than a month to have the confidence to send Dody out on her own. She absorbed information like a sponge ... a big sponge. She handled herself well in front of the customers. Perhaps her size and appearance kept her from being hit on by some of the men in the plants she visited, but I thought it was more likely her "all business" attitude that gave the customers confidence.

John Mankowitz at Autowash in Plano took an immediate liking to her. He gave her a complete plant tour before she started on her assignment. I had accompanied Dody on this trip because John and I were good friends and I didn't want him to think I was abandoning him. He didn't. He knew what I was doing, and he enthusiastically welcomed the young girl.

I wanted Dody to see the Helmvac machine in Charlotte. I had told Sue about her in several of our twice-weekly phone calls. Sue was very happy to hear that my business had expanded to permit hiring another person. We talked about my next visit, scheduled in May, another three weeks away. I think we were both getting frustrated with our off-and-on relationship. I needed to do some thinking about that.

Dody settled into her new job beautifully. We met each Friday afternoon or Saturday morning to set the assignments for the following two weeks, confirming or adjusting our previous week's schedule decisions. It was working well, and I had received only two phone calls from the young woman when she encountered a difficult problem. I couldn't have been more pleased with my choice of associate.

I took her to Charlotte the second week of May. Actually, she met me in Charlotte. I had flown from St. Louis directly to the North Carolina city on Friday evening to stay with Sue. Dody came in Sunday evening and stayed at the hotel I once used. I had explained my relationship with Sue to the young woman and she understood. We spent only a few minutes when I picked her up at the airport discussing our plans, then agreed to meet for breakfast early Monday morning. Sue would go directly to the plant, dropping me off at the hotel on the way.

The introduction of Dody to Sue went well. Sue made her very welcome, and like John in Plano, gave her a comprehensive tour of the facility. I took the opportunity to check in with Byron and we had coffee and a pleasant conversation. He congratulated me on having grown so quickly that I could hire an assistant this soon. I assured him that I was as surprised as anyone, but I was very happy with the way the business was progressing.

Sue and I had spent the weekend together, and what time we were out of bed was taken up as she gave me a tour of her new city. She was on the verge of buying a home and wanted my opinion on it before she took the plunge. I liked the ranch-style house and the neighborhood it was in. I told her she had chosen well. I was hoping we might share this home some day, and that could have been in the back of her mind as well.

After I returned from Charlotte, my business consumed all my time over the next six months. I was still growing, and despite the rapid development of Dody as a fully competent field technician, I could see we were beginning to show signs of being overloaded once more. On top of that, I had only seen Sue once in August, and again that was only for a weekend and two week days. Sue didn't say anything to me about our long-distance romance, but I could sense that she wanted to. It was coming to decision time for both of us.

What changed my thinking were two conversations; the first with Dody and the second with my bank manager.

"Stan, there's something you need to know about," she began nervously. "I've got a boyfriend. His name is Curtis, and he's a mechanic ... an automotive mechanic. He's moving to Denver to be near his mom. She's sick, and his dad died some years ago. He feels like he needs to be there if anything happens.

"Anyway ... he asked me to go with him. I think he wants to ask me to marry him, but I haven't pushed him. I need to make up my mind about this job. It's too good to give up, so ... I was wondering ... uhhm ... if I could still work for you and live in Denver," she rushed out.

I didn't answer her right away. I thought it was interesting that she had a boyfriend and might get married in the near future. I hadn't considered that when I interviewed her. I guess I was assuming that since she wasn't a real beauty that I wouldn't have to worry about something like this. I kicked myself for being so narrow-minded.

"Dody ... let me think about it for a bit. You're doing a fine job, and I'm fully confident in you, so my instinct is to think only about the travel and time issues. How about I give you an answer this weekend before you're off again? I won't let you wait too long, I promise."

"Thanks, Stan. I really hope we can make it work. Curtis and I worked together at Dad's shop and ... well ... I guess we fell in love along the way."

"I understand. I'll try and think of ways that we can make it work, I promise," I smiled.

With that we parted for the weekend, our plans for the next two weeks now loaded on our laptops. I went home to my apartment, opened a beer and sat at the kitchen table, thinking about Dody's request. It dawned on me that the answer to her need was the answer to my own.

The only thing that bound us to Cincinnati was history. It's where I started and where I had been living for the last thirty years. We could live almost anywhere that had access to a major airport. If Dody was in Denver, and I was in ... say ... Charlotte, it would be easy to see how we could divide up the territory.

The negative was that I would be moving away from Tommy and Jilly and my other friends and acquaintances. I decided to shelve my concerns about my own situation and concentrate on Dody's. What would be the plusses and minuses of her moving to Denver?

She was still young and inexperienced. She was progressing at a rapid rate, but there was still a lot for her to learn. Perhaps the best thing for her might be to finish out the year here and move in the new year. She would be better prepared then ... and for that matter, so would I. I didn't think asking her to wait four more months would be too big an obstacle for her. I was pretty sure she would agree.

Her maturity was never in question. She handled herself with the customers like a seasoned veteran. She was polite, a good listener, patient in difficult situations, both with clients and equipment, and most impressive, she was very dedicated in doing a quality job in a professional manner. For some one of her age, I thought that was remarkable. I had been very, very lucky to find her.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.