A Just Reward
Chapter 31

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

The job with which Becca was now involved had come about as the result of recommendations and thrilled all the Damsels. They had been asked to redecorate an entire nursery school and the headmistress's flat which occupied the first floor of the building. The school itself on the ground floor comprised an entrance hall, three classrooms, a large cloakroom with the children's lockers and pegs as well as lavatories and basins, an assembly room, a dining room and a kitchen. The flat was large having three bedrooms, bathroom, sitting room, dining room and kitchen. The requirement was to complete the job in the three weeks of the Easter holidays. Becca and Nell had worked together on producing a plan to do this. It involved the whole workforce and they set daily targets. They had assigned the girls in pairs to particular jobs. In the previous week they had firmed up quantities and colours of paint which they had ordered for collection first thing on Monday morning while the team was preparing the first rooms for painting.

The Damsels were all gathered outside the school at eight o'clock on Monday morning. Becca would have liked to start earlier but felt that that would be unfair to Mrs Bentham, the headmistress, and her family. As she reached for the doorbell the door was opened by Mrs Bentham who greeted her warmly.

"Good morning, Becca my dear. Right on time and it looks as though you've brought your entire army."

"Good morning, Mrs Bentham. Come and meet them."

She introduced Mrs Bentham to each girl individually with some amusing remark to help identify each girl, such as Dawn painting ceilings because of her height. The girls then picked up their equipment and swarmed in. Within five minutes they were all hard at work on their allotted tasks. Becca and Molly went off to collect the paint.

The day went well. Mrs Bentham told the girls to help themselves to tea or coffee from the nearest kitchen. She went round during the morning chatting to each of them. She was charmed by their manners and cheerfulness as well as being impressed by the fact that even while they were talking they never stopped working. In the flat, her two children were home for the holidays, Peter aged eighteen and Harriet aged sixteen, and they quickly got to know the girls working there. They even offered to help and were eagerly accepted. Maisie kept an eye on Peter and Kim on Harriet.

The ground floor team completed its day's work on time but Maisie's upstairs was not out until five forty-five. Becca stayed until they had left and so did not reach Edward's flat until six. He welcomed her with a soft kiss and offered her a drink. She gratefully accepted a cup of tea.

"So, the more important thing first. Why are you happier?" Edward asked.

Becca looked down. It was difficult to disentangle what made her happier and what saddened her. She looked up at him and then down again.

"Tell me," Edward said gently.

"I'm going to leave Uncle Steven."

Edward looked at her aghast. "But you love him and he rescued you and all the business with the children's home."

Becca nodded but still said nothing.

Edward's mind churned. What could have gone on that she would want to leave such a man? He must have upset her terribly.

"What happened?"

"Nothing! That's what happened: nothing!" She burst into tears.

Edward knelt in front of her and took both her hands in his own. He squeezed them gently.

"Tell me, Becca," he murmured.

"When I said that Uncle Steven and I are like father and daughter I told you the truth. The trouble is though that I'm in love with him and I know he is with me. At least, I know he loves me and I know he finds me attractive."

"Has he tried anything on?"

"No-o! That's the problem. I'd be his mistress. I'd be his wife but he won't do anything. Two years ago I told him that I was in love with him. He said that he was much too old for me and that I was biased because he was the only man I knew well who had ever treated me properly."

"That makes sense."

"I know and I agreed that I hadn't got any one else to compare him with so I went out with a few people but didn't think much of any of them until ... until I met you."

Edward squeezed her hands. "And? What difference do I make?"

"You're different. I think a lot of you. I really like you but I'm still in love with him. Two years ago I told him that if I hadn't changed my mind I'd come back for him. I did and he still won't give in."

"Why not?"

"The age gap and because I'm still emotionally immature."

"He could still be right."

"He isn't. He isn't. He isn't."

"Why isn't he?"

"Because there are lots of people who are sixteen years apart in age who are happily married twenty years' later and there are also lots and lots of girls who married when they were nineteen and are still blissful years later."

Edward nodded albeit slightly doubtfully.

"So why move out if you love him so much?"

There was a long pause and then, barely audibly, she said, "You."

"Why?"

"Because you're the first other man I've found that I've really liked."

"But that's not love and you love him."

"But it's a hopeless love. The thing is that living with him means that I am constantly in his shadow and influenced by it. Last weekend he was very nice and friendly to you but I could sense that he was not happy. I know him so well. It wasn't jealousy as such but fear that I might at some stage leave him for you. It would be the same with anyone else. I've decided to move out to allow me to think more clearly about men and to give my emotions a chance. It was horrid telling him but he took it very well even though we did have a bit of a cry together afterwards."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.