A Just Reward - Cover

A Just Reward

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 29

Becca returned from work the next day to find a bunch of roses plonked in a jug on the kitchen table. There was a card beside it which read: 'Dear Becca, Thank you for a delicious lunch and thank you both for making me so welcome. Love Edward.'

"Oh!" she exclaimed. "I ... Oh!"

Steven smiled at her. "You've got an admirer," he said.

She nodded.

"I didn't even try to arrange them for you," Steven added.

She shook her head. She stood up slowly and went to look for a vase. She found one, filled it with water and then arranged the roses in it with infinite care. Neither said a word while she did so. Finally, she stood back and looked at her arrangement and her eyes filled with tears.

"What, my sweet?" asked Steven.

"Nobody has ever given me flowers before," she whispered and buried her head in his chest. He held her, knowing that this was a safe embrace. She merely needed to overcome her emotions. She looked up.

"He didn't have to that, did he? He could just have written a thank you letter."

"No he didn't and yes he could."

She looked into his eyes. "Are you happy with that?" she asked.

"Very," he lied.

She knew immediately that he was not but if he was not going to tell her he loved her that was his fault. Inwardly, though, she cringed.

Edward rang her that evening. "Just wanted to make sure you hadn't changed your mind about Wednesday," he said.

"Don't be a poop, as if I would. Thank you for those lovely roses. They're beautiful. You really didn't have to do that."

"I'm glad you liked them. Yesterday was special."

"Yes it was," she thought.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it, Edward. I certainly did."

"I can't wait until Wednesday."

"Well, come and have supper tomorrow."

"Thank you, Becca, but no thank you much as I'd love to. You're doing quite enough with the Damsels all day and then looking after your uncle. By the way, I really liked him."

"He's a bit of all right, isn't he?"

"Very much so. Becca, is it all right if I ring you tomorrow evening?"

"You bet. Ring whenever you like."

There was a pause. "Thanks, Becca. Er..."

"Yes, Edward?"

"Er ... nothing! 'Bye, Becca."

"'Bye, Edward."

She put the phone down slowly. "He didn't have to ring," she thought, "but I'm so glad he did. I suppose I should have rung him to thank him for the flowers. No, that might have shown too much interest." She giggled to herself. "He didn't have to ring me though but he did." She giggled again.

Steven was aware of the call and knew immediately who it was. He winced but kicked himself for doing so too.

Edward turned out to be rather good at skittles. Becca was terrible. She took careful aim but the ball went everywhere but that way. Her best score of the evening was a six and that was the result of a ricochet off the wall of the alley which hit two skittles which brought down the other four. That mattered not jot to Becca who spent most of the time in helpless laughter or nudging Edward just as he was about to throw. Their happiness was infectious and Becca in particular received a lot of good natured teasing.

They had another delicious meal at The Cross Keys holding hands whenever possible. Becca asked whether Tom and Nell could come skating with them. Edward thought it was an excellent idea.

"In the spring," he said, "I'd like you to come home with me one weekend, see what it's like and meet my parents."

"I'd love to. Is Church Stretton big?"

"Far from it. You could fit twenty or more into this metropolis. It sits under the Long Mynd which is a big hill shaped like a loaf of bread. We live a bit of the way up it and can see across the town to Wenlock Edge which is another long hill to the east. It's very beautiful, I think."

"I look forward to seeing it. It certainly sounds pretty spectacular. How old are your parents?"

"My father's fifty later this month and my mother's eighteen months younger."

"Will Anthony be at home when we visit? I'd like to meet him too."

"Only of it's the Easter holidays. Tell you what! Why don't we go for Easter and then it won't be such a rush."

Becca's mind flew to Steven. He'd be on his own. "Blow him!" she thought. "He's made his own bed. He can jolly well lie on it."

"That's a lovely idea."

Edward's face lit up but all he said was, "Good!"

There were tender farewells but once more Edward kept his hands under control and his lips never opened. Becca was both relieved and mildly frustrated but she was not prepared to push anything. She had a feeling that if she pushed Edward beyond his shyness the floodgates might open and she was not ready for that yet.

Becca wore her Soignée dress to 'Private Lives' and was captivated by it although the famous line 'Very flat Norfolk' was lost on her due to her lack of education. She was fascinated by the period clothes and mannerisms and her mind was quickly attuned to Noel Coward's acerbic wit. Edward took her to what was little more than a night club although he had made sure that there were no 'dancing partners' there. They had an adequate meal and danced happily. Becca did not expect and indeed did not want any ballroom dancing as such. She was happy to be held by Edward and do little more than sway to the music.

When they got home Becca said, "I'm not going to invite you in for coffee because Uncle Steven will still be about even though it's half past eleven. Instead I'm going to say thank you out here. Edward, I've had a really wonderful evening."

She pulled his head down and plastered her lips to his. His arms went tightly yet gently round her. They broke for air.

"You looked absolutely beautiful," he said. "That dress is a stunner."

"Thank you. It was a present from Soignée after I did that modelling stint for them."

"Were you able to choose it?"

"Yes."

"I like your taste. It shows off your lovely neck."

He leant forward and kissed her neck with little nuzzling kisses. He took the lobe of her ear between his lips. Becca's breathing quickened. He returned to her lips which parted. He licked them and then drew back. They looked into each other's eyes and then with a groan he pulled her to him hard laying his cheek against hers.

"Oh, Becca, you're so lovely. I could hold you and kiss you for ever but that would lead to other things which I don't think either of us are ready for yet."

He squeezed her to him again and then released her taking her hands. Their eyes locked and it was clear to both of them that things had moved on another stage.

Edward squeezed her hands. "Go, you enchantress," he whispered, "before things get out of hand."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.