A Just Reward - Cover

A Just Reward

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 19

When Roger Hollis left them Becca turned to Steven. "All right?" she asked.

He took her hands and squeezed gently. "Better than all right, little one. Very well done indeed."

Becca smiled delightedly.

"I hope I can do as well," said Nell softly. She smiled. "You sounded a bit scared when you were taking the oath."

"Was I ever but Inspector Hollis made it easy and then that other man got on my wick so I let him have it."

They left the courtroom for the entrance hall.

Hugo Allardyce was waiting for them. "Don't think you've heard the end of this," he snarled, "particularly as you consort with little tarts like this." He gestured at Nell.

Becca sensed Steven stiffen and put a restraining hand on his arm. "Is that a threat?" she asked.

"No! It's a promise," he snapped back.

"In that case, I do hope you weren't overheard by any of the police here," she said sweetly.

Allardyce looked for a moment as though he was going to attack her but remembered where he was, turned abruptly and marched out.

"You might like to mention that little lot to the police this afternoon," Steven said to Nell.

"You bet," she said.

Isobel and Tom materialised beside them.

"Well done, both of you," said Isobel giving Steven a kiss and folding Becca into a hug.

Tom took both Becca's hands. "Thank you for not telling about the fight," he said.

"You asked me not to," said Becca simply and kissed him casually. "Nell, this is Tom, my dancing partner and cousin. Tom this is my friend Nell."

The two smiled shyly at each other.

They said their goodbyes and dropped Nell off at home.

Jean Robbins descended on Nell and Kim almost before they had finished lunch. Like Becca had they found her warm and sympathetic. She made taking their statements easy. Nell did mention the confrontation with Hugo Allardyce.

Jean smiled mirthlessly. "I don't think he'll manage much mischief before we lift him," she said.

The police wasted no time. They arrested him an hour later. He was kept in police cells overnight. He appeared before a magistrate the following morning and mention was also made of his threat to Steven and Becca. He was remanded in custody for the Crown Court.

Over the next month the Crown Court meted out justice to the former staff of the children's home, to the Harleys, to their clients who had abused the four young girls and Doug and Drew. They all received long custodial sentences, Doug and Drew in a borstal. The local paper had a field day, particularly with Hugo Allardyce and a city councillor who had used the brothel and the young girls. The national press was drawn into the media feeding frenzy too. Fortunately, Doug's attack on Becca was overshadowed by the revelations that he had accompanied his father to the brothel and so she and Steven were saved from excessive media activity.

Life settled back into a routine, not that it was not busy. The girls painted the children's home daily. It took them another six weeks even with help from a number of the older children. The police were as good as their word and transformed the field at the back of the home so that after the painting the girls were able to help out with games and with looking after the younger children.

Helen managed to poach a woman who worked for Dr Barnardo's at York to become the new principal of the home. She transformed it in no time at all. She was strict but motherly and the children fell for her. The remaining staff were revitalised by her and the new members inspired.

Becca had not forgotten her plan to form an all girl redecorating team. She advertised in the local paper and the business slowly developed. Isobel, Mary and Hilary acted as chaperones when the girls went to view and give an estimate for each job. They also made sure that the customer understood that any misbehaviour on their part would result in the immediate withdrawal of the team.

Becca was adamant that her housekeeping duties went on as before. On a number of occasions the team deployed ahead of her and she caught up with them later using a bicycle she bought out of their earnings. In fact, it was not long before they all had bicycles and only needed a motorised adult to help them deliver their equipment and materials at the beginning of a job and collect them at the end. Molly and Jane gave up their work at the restaurant and joined the team. A number of the girls leaving the home also joined them. By the end of a year they were a dozen strong and coping with two or three simultaneous jobs. The standard of their work, their good behaviour and their cheerful friendliness soon became well known and the business flourished. Mary Witherspoon became their accountant.

Steven and Becca continued their weekly rides on most Saturdays. As promised, he took her to a piano recital of Chopin by Peter Katin at Harrogate and she was entranced. She and Tom continued with their dancing classes and developed into a promising partnership. Giselle spotted it and encouraged them to take part in local competitions. Although they won nothing for some time they enjoyed them immensely. Then shortly before Becca's eighteenth birthday they won a competition at Huddersfield and had their pictures in the paper. Then they won again at York.

As they were leaving the ballroom many people congratulated them. A woman pushed her way through to them. "Hello," she said smilingly. "My name's Rita Pinkley. I was watching you this evening and when you won at Huddersfield. I work for Brain Brothers, the clothing manufacturers, at Huddersfield. Have either of you ever considered modelling clothes?"

Tom shook his head. "I have," said Becca, "but had no idea how to get started."

"Well, we can get you started modelling our clothes. We do a spring and autumn magazine and you would appear in them. A number of our models have gone on to appear in Vogue and similar fashion magazines."

"What do you think, Tom?"

"I'm not sure. How long would it take?"

"Three days twice a year."

"Why do you want us?"

"Because you're becoming well known faces in this area for your dancing and you're both good looking. You've got a lovely figure as well, Becca."

Becca blushed.

"How much would we be paid?" asked Tom.

"Fifty pounds a day, hotel accommodation and a food allowance for three days and nights."

"Whee! I'd need a chaperone," said Becca.

"We'd pay her hotel accommodation and food allowance."

"We need to talk to our parents," said Tom.

"Of course. Are they here this evening?"

"No, just our instructor."

"Well, look, here's my card. Give me a ring in the next few days and let me know either way, each or both."

"OK. Thanks," said Becca.

"I look forward to hearing from you."

Giselle joined them. "All right if I remove you from your adoring fans now?"

Becca giggled. "Oh," she said, "I thought you were going to ask for my autograph."

"Cheeky miss! Actually, if you two are going to go on winning your people really ought to come and watch you, you know."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.