Day of Destruction - Cover

Day of Destruction

Copyright© 2010 by Frank Speaks

Chapter 6

It had been two days since I had buried Joan's and Doris' husbands. We were starting to get our emotions under control. The girls each had a child who needed care and watching all four of them gave me something to do. When I got up, I went into the kitchen and started making coffee.

Joan walked in and said, "Dad, I think it's time we started to do something though I'm not sure what. Have you any thoughts?"

"Yes, Joannie, I have. As much as we love this house and all its memories, good and bad, it's not well placed for long term living without stores and power. Those will not last forever. When I last had work, the estimate was a ninety-nine percent casualty rate. The television seems to be on automatic since yesterday and there had been no reports of cures and many reports of most everyone dying. I am afraid the estimate is correct. If that's true, there will be only three million or so people left soon. The country won't be rebuilt anytime soon.

"I think we need to start preparing to move and locate a farm somewhat close by that we can take over and operate without power. Sooner or later, the power grid will fail. We must prepare for that and become self-sufficient to survive. We will run into other people and can try to form a new community. However, we will be an agrarian economy for a long time. You and your sister will need help eventually. I already can't do things that I used to be able to do."

"Oh, Dad, don't say that!" She almost moaned at the direction of my thinking.

"Don't say what?" said Doris as she entered the room.

"Your sister and I have started to talk about the future."

"Oh, and you don't think this is the place for us to stay long term?" she asked.

"No, it means a lot to me and to the two of you but we need a farm and need to prepare for the day when there is no more power."

"Knowing you, Dad, you have started to look for some place or already have some place in mind." Doris said.

"Yes, while your mother was getting sick, I knew the survival rate would be low and that we had to make plans for the years to come. We also need to consider looking for other survivors who can help us as we will help them."

"Where is this place?" said Doris.

"It's out of town about ten miles or so. I found it looking at Google. It's a good farm with crops and livestock. It's not too far from here because there will be a lot of things here to put to use."

"Why don't we go check it out?"

"I think the first thing to do is get the right vehicle." said Joan.

"What do you mean?" Doris asked.

"Jack and I have a four door and you and Ben have a small SUV. Dad has his little car and Mom's was no bigger. We need a big SUV that can go anywhere. I think we can go find one either at one of the neighbors or at a dealership."

"I think you are right about a vehicle but, first, we need to go around and check on the neighbors." I said. "Someone may have survived and a few more people would help us."

"How do we start?" asked Joan. Doris nodded her agreement at that question.

"One of you stay here and watch the kids. The other one and I will go around knocking on doors and going in if we can. I think we are looking for people who survived. There is little we can do for the dead."

"Okay, Dad. I'll go with you." said Doris looking at Joan who nodded.

I went to my bedroom and put on some walking shoes to go with my shorts and shirt. I came downstairs to see Doris who was dressed to walk in the warm sunshine. We both took our cellphones and out we went.

We turned right to go around the cul-de-sac and then go into the rest of the subdivision. We went up to the next house and knocked loudly. Since I knew them, I shouted their names but heard no answer except for their dog barking. I twisted the handle and the door opened. I walked in to see their dog go running outside. I could smell that no one survived. I filled the dog's dish and put it on the back porch. We left.

"I hadn't thought about pets, Dad. We need to release them, too, or they won't have a chance."

"I agree. We'll do that to at least give the animals a chance."

We continued on from house to house. No one was alive but we released pets from many houses. After about fifty houses, we headed back working the other side of the roads. We never found anyone alive. We walked into the house to an anxious Joan.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.