A Potter's Tale
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

The following day, after seeing my daughter off to a football training session and taking my lover to her work I went to see the estate agent that had sold me my house. When I'd been looking, one of the properties shown me was a fair size retail premises. It was double fronted and on a busy main road with unrestricted parking outside. To the rear was a large area that was ideal for a studio, hence why I was shown it. Above was a largish flat. It was totally inappropriate for my needs but matched almost perfectly what my brainwave had thought up.

The studio at the rear was ideal for Lucy and the shop perfect for a gallery selling our ware. Well it was actually too big, as all our stuff together would get lost in the space. After talking to Sheila and some of her friends, they had expressed a keen interest in displaying there on a permanent basis. The upstairs flat had no real use but by renting it out I could offset the cost of buying the building.

It had been up for sale or lease for over eighteen months so I wasn't too surprised to find that it was still available. Having seen it for a second time I put in a ridiculously low offer, citing all the work required to bring it up to a gallery standard. After almost no negotiation and with only a marginal increase in my offer I had made a deal to buy the place.

After a quick chat with the vendors I was allowed the keys on condition that no work was started until contracts had been exchanged.

I controlled my eagerness to show the place to Lucy only long enough to collect Kate from her training. I then took my daughter to Lucy's parents. Collecting my intrigued girlfriend along with her equally puzzled parents I took them to see my latest purchase.

Lucy and her father were thrilled and bewildered in equal measures at the prospects for her work. Kate said nothing but wore an enigmatic smile as she wondered around the place. Mrs. Jeavons' interest in the premises was at best superficial. It was me and my interest in her daughter that was at the root of her desire for further information. She gave me a thoroughly effective interrogation, though her smile throughout showed that she wasn't against the relationship. Her main reservation, surprisingly was not age, nor even how short a time we had known each other, but the difference in our heights.

Once the initial shock had worn off Lucy and her father, questions rained in thick and fast. How much would I charge for the workshop/studio, how would I stock the shop, who would run it, who would live in the flat...

I tried to answer the best as I could. I was given the evil eye by my beloved when she discovered that I had already spoken to a few other craftsmen and women.

'Think you could manage with that workshop?' I asked totally confident in her answer.

She grinned. 'You know damn well I can buster.'

'Okay! This is my idea, though it is certainly open to discussion and amendment. We move all Lucy's equipment into the workshop.' I neglected to mention that I had plans to upgrade some and add new machines.

'Then we convert the shop into a gallery, selling local, hand-made art and crafts. The will be no charge to show, at least for selected artists, but there will be a commission on everything sold. I thought twenty percent, of which five goes to the salesperson. To start with, Lucy would be that salesperson during the week, unless or until it takes up too much of her time. At the weekends then those exhibiting will take it in turns to run the shop. If Lucy needs help during the week then the same applies until we make enough money to employ someone.'

I took a deep breath. 'Everyone okay with that?'

Everyone nodded. 'What about the flat?' Asked Mrs. Jeavons. 'Are you expecting Lucy to move in there?'

'Not at all. That has nothing to do with the downstairs and will be used to offset some of the costs down here. I now suggest that I take you all back and let you discuss it.'

'Isn't it a bit late for that Dad?' Asked Kate.

'You mean because I've already bought the place?'

She nodded.

'No then. The only difference is if Lucy doesn't want to work here, if that's the case then I'm sure I won't have much difficulty finding someone that does.'

'I do... ' Lucy started.

'Not yet. Talk it over with your mother and father and let me know.'

The trip back was very quiet as everyone tried to gather their thoughts. We parted with the understanding that Lucy would let me know as soon as she'd made the decision. I felt pretty good about myself as I walked through my front door and then felt even better when Kate hugged me and said, 'Thanks.'

'What for?' I knew what I'd done for Lucy but was unsure why Kate was thanking me.

'You know what. Lucy is over the moon. I already regard her as a good friend so I'm glad to see her happy. Thanks also for involving me when you didn't have to.'

I hugged her tight. 'You are involved in everything I do.'

'Not everything I hope, ' giggled my insolent child, 'I don't want anything to do with all the noises that emanate from your room when Lucy is here.'

I blushed, which I was sure was her intention. 'Talking of Lucy. How would you feel if we were to become more serious?' I asked nervously.

'Get real Dad!' Kate laughed, 'you couldn't be much more serious other than marrying her.'

She looked intensely at me. 'You are considering that.' She stated rather than asked.

'That's about the only thing I haven't considered. It is too soon, at least in time, but everything else seems perfect. How would you feel if Lucy became a permanent fixture.'

'Dad, I know better than anyone how much you missed Mum, but you've at last moved on. I love Lucy and can see that you do to. If it makes you happy then ask her to move in today for all I care.'

I looked at my suddenly sensible and mature daughter. I sometimes forgot that she'd had to grow up quicker than most after Jennifer's death.

'Thanks Kate, it means a lot, ' I told her sincerely.

After that the conversation lightened and the day became normal. It was only when I was laying in bed that night that my thoughts turned to my talk with Kate. I knew that I didn't love Lucy in the same way I had my wife, at least not yet. I also acknowledged that my feelings were at least as strong at the same period of the relationship. I was confident that if things progressed as they had been doing, then living together or even marriage was on the cards. Assuming that Lucy felt the same way.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.