A Potter's Tale - Cover

A Potter's Tale

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

Chapter 11

That Sunday was the day of the Craft Fayre. I had not bothered to book a stall as I hadn't been certain of our return from holiday. Lucy had, so we were up early; as this was a Sunday morning the 'we' obviously excluded my teen.

We had decided that I would help Lucy with her stand; for this 'we' read Lucy.

It turned out to be a good idea. I learned a lot more about Lucy, specifically her wood turning skills and her sales ability. She seemed to know just what to say to each person rather than using an impersonal script approach. It also gave me the chance to really take in the fayre itself, to walk around and chat to the other stall holders.

I took the opportunity to talk to Sheila about my idea and, with her guidance, a few other regulars. All but one were keen to at least see if my idea was feasible. Another rather pleasant thing was that I was already recognised by a few of the regulars who asked where my stand was. Everyone was more than understanding when I explained.

When I returned from my longer foray I saw Lucy deep in conversation with a familiar figure.

'Hi Helen, fancy seeing you here.' I said to my ex-coaching colleague. 'Be careful here won't you. The stuff is very poor quality and she charges an arm and a leg for it at that.' I said trying to keep a straight face.

It was far from a straight face I got from Lucy. Somehow I would be paying for that remark I thought as soon as the words had left my mouth.

'Oh I wouldn't agree with that. Her work is very good but you're right about the latter though, ' Helen replied with a smile. 'I've bought the odd piece before and have yet to get a discount.'

'You just don't know how to go about it.' I said as I watched Lucy studying me as I walked to stand immediately in front of her. 'Watch!' I said and then picked Lucy up for a kiss. Her reluctance was very short lived as was, for us at least, the kiss.

By the time I put her back down Helen was laughing loudly. 'Well I must admit, I've never tried that particular tactic. You have some news for me then?'

I had just made the introductions when a young man picked up one of Lucy's pricier bowls. Leaving Lucy to deal with Helen I approached the man. I could see, and understand, his initial disappointment that it wasn't the pretty young woman that served him. Still his interest was genuine and after about ten minutes he wandered off having bought the piece.

I looked towards the two women and saw that they were still deep in conversation. The furtive looks they periodically gave me hinted that they weren't just talking shop. When they'd finished I was totally stunned when Helen came and kissed me full on the lips before saying her goodbyes.

'Well that confirms that then, ' said Lucy enigmatically.

'If you say so, ' I responded, making no effort to fathom the meaning.

Lucy obviously wanted me to ask as she answered anyway. 'That you've never been romantically involved with Helen.'

'I've told you, you are the first since my wife was killed. As I'm not blind and I had to work with Helen, of course I noticed her but despite the odd prompt from a few parents never had the inclination to follow it up.'

'Good for me and pity for you, ' she grinned. 'You would undoubtedly have succeeded.'

But for that parting kiss I would have felt obliged to argue. It appeared that Helen's initial reluctance was just that — initial.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.