A Potter's Tale
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

For the next few weeks I worked hard, well at least time wise, at replenishing my stock during the week and spent one more weekend away, this time in the Lake District.

When I was packing my stock I couldn't make my mind up whether to take the three pieces made to Terry's. They had come out quite well, especially the one she had painted, but I did not feel comfortable selling someone else's designs even if I'd made them; at least without their permission. In the end I decided to take them to show Terry if she showed up but not to put them on display otherwise.

I was given the same stand and was happy to see that the young wood turner was again next to me.

'David Powell, ' I said as we acknowledged each other. 'I can't for the life of me remember if you told me your name so I thought I'd better introduce myself just in case.'

She smiled and for the first time noticed her dark brown eyes. 'I was just thinking exactly the same. I'm Lucy, Lucy Jeavons.'

We shook hands and I was most amazed at the strength in her dainty grip. It was obviously a response she was familiar with. 'Holding chisels against spinning hardwood, ' she explained before adding, 'I'm glad you're here as I have a few orders for you.'

Now that did surprise me. 'How come?'

She grinned this time. 'I showed the stuff I got from you around and quite a few liked it and a couple asked me to get them some if I saw you again. Plus I told them a retail price guide and I hope I can buy at trade from you. You know what Tesco says, every little helps.'

It was my turn to grin. 'Sure, no problem. Sorry I couldn't return the compliment.'

All this was said as I was unpacking. Then Lucy spotted Terry's designs. 'Wow! These are different.' She picked up the one painted by Terry and said. 'How much for this one, trade of course?'

I explained about them and why I wasn't yet prepared to sell them.

'This Terry, was she one of those redheads teasing you last time?'

Surprised that she'd noticed, I just nodded.

'Well if you decide to sell any of them can I have first refusal.' She asked with a genuine smile.

'Sure, ' I grinned, 'I never was able to resist a pretty smile.'

She blushed slightly, which I found quite appealing.

'What are you doing embarrassing this pretty young thing?' A voice I recognised as Sheila's said.

Lucy reddened even more realising that someone else had seen her initial blush.

The three of us talked for a few minutes until the show opened. We each went to our respective stands and waited. As Lucy had previously predicted my sales weren't as good as my first time, selling only a dozen pieces in the first two hours. I was still more than pleased with that.

I was in conversation with an old woman who had spent her entire working life in a Potbank and seemed determined to tell me about every single day. As long as I wasn't missing any potential customers I was happy enough to just listen.

'Hi David!'

I looked up to see Jane. I politely excused myself from the old lady and looked at and around my friend.

'On your own today?'

Just as I said that a short stocky man arrived at her side. Probably in his early forties he had the type of face that you took an instant liking to. It helped that he was smiling.

'Chatting up the men again, I see, ' he said to Jane.

'Ken, meet David Powell. David, my husband Ken.'

His face changed at the mention of my name. He was now grinning. 'So this is the man vying for the affections of my wife and daughter?'

'I wouldn't go that far.' I responded.

'I would, ' he replied, his grin even bigger, 'You are all the pair of them talk about. I daren't argue with the missus in case she runs off to you and if our Michelle was a couple of years older I'd really be worried.'

'You mean you daren't argue back because of Jane's temper, ' I said laughing.

'Well there is that of course.'

'Talking of affections, what have you done to my baby sister?' asked Jane seriously.

'Nothing that I'm aware of.'

'Well you had her in tears that day she went round to your place.'

'I didn't see any tears, loads of anger yes, but no tears.' I said before explaining that day's events.

Jane didn't seem too surprised. 'My temper is pretty bad but it's nothing compared to Terry's, ' she said to her husband's obvious agreement. 'The problem is, being the youngest of four, she's always been able to get away with it. Now, adulthood is not so forgiving. It's already cost her two jobs that I know of and god knows how many boyfriends.'

'Why the tears though?' I asked.

'She said you were rude and dismissal of her, but from what you said you were just being your usual honest self. Frankly as I thought would be the case. She does seem more upset this time though.'

To try and change the subject just a little, from under the table I produced the three bowls to Terry's design. Jane didn't seem as taken with them as I'd expected.

'Okay, but Terry is usually better than this, ' she informed me.

I then explained that the original designs were a lot better but these were the best of all given my decorating ability and the glazes I had to hand. We then went on to talk football, first the girl's team and then Newcastle Town, one of our local teams towards the bottom end of the Pyramid, who Ken supported.

We were finally interrupted by a no nonsense woman who demanded to know why my prices were so high. Jane and Ken bid me goodbye why I tried to explain all the processes and costs involved. I failed as she just turned mid sentence and walked to Lucy's table and asked her the same question.

'Because they're worth that or more, ' she said simply and confidently. It worked as the woman made a purchase. Lucy just shrugged when she saw me looking. Once the woman had left with her wooden bowl Lucy explained, 'people like her don't care how much it costs to make something only if they believe that they're getting a bargain.'

I nodded my thanks realising that I still had plenty to learn. 'You fancy a drink and a bite to eat?' she asked me next.

Slightly perplexed I failed to answer. Was she asking me for a date or did she mean something else?

Seeing that I was in a quandary she explained. 'I mean will you look after my stall if I go and fetch a drink and sandwich for us both?'

'Oh, yes please, ' I answered suddenly enlightened, 'black coffee and anything except cheese.'

'That's easy enough.'

I gave her the money and watched her leave. We had just one browser look at our stand but I couldn't get her to buy anything wooden or ceramic.

'One coffee, black and one bacon and egg butty.' Lucy said as she reached me.

'Did you think I was asking you out?' she then asked mischievously.

I hesitated so she answered for me. 'You did didn't you?'

'To be honest, I wasn't sure. I couldn't think why I pretty young thing like you would even think about an old fart like me but I wasn't sure what else you meant.'

'You like fishing then?' she asked grinning.

'Eh!' I had no idea where that question had come from.

'It seems you're fishing for compliments. You know you're not old and you're not that bad on the eye.'

'Oh I know I'm not really old, just in comparison to you.'

'Nah! I prefer older men, though not old men, ' she said deliberately looking me up and down. 'You're a bit tall but otherwise okay, though I'm not sure what your wife would say.'

My mood instantly dipped and it obviously showed as Lucy said quickly, 'don't worry I won't tell her.'

'My wife died four years ago, ' I stated simply.

'Oh god, I'm sorry. I thought it was guilt not sorrow.'

'A bit of both in reality. I still miss her and do feel guilty about thinking about another woman.'

Before I could say anything else someone enquired about one of Lucy's carvings, so I left her to it whilst I sat down to my butty and coffee.

We continued to chat when customers, or should that be lack thereof, allowed and seemed to be getting along quite well. I told her about my wife and daughter, and how Kate's interest had held sway. Lucy told me about how she was a real daddy's girl and how her father's job as a carpenter had nurtured her love of wood.

'Excuse me, what is the price of this?' I was asked in a very high pitched voice. I looked away from Lucy and at the speaker. She was younger than me but by how much I struggled with as her face was so plastered with dark make-up. Her fake tan covered breasts were huge and virtually all the top half were on display. I suppose she was wearing a skirt but it appeared to me no more than a wide belt.

'Thirty Five pounds, ' I told her.

She batted her eyebrows, which was no mean feat given the size of her eyelashes. 'I'm sure you can do better than that for me, ' she smiled with lips so bright I was sure that I could see my reflection in them. She was just about everything I hated in a woman.

'Sorry, I never discount as all my work is worth more than its price today, ' I replied borrowing Lucy's idea.

She obviously wasn't as stupid as I thought, though that wasn't too difficult, as she immediately sensed that her so called charms were wasted on me. 'Must be gay, ' I heard her mutter as she walked off.

I turned towards Lucy's table at the sound of laughter. 'That's a first. A man not mesmerised by big tits.'

'More than a handful is a waste and I've only got small hands, ' I grinned back, 'besides just about everything about her is artificial and I have no time for peroxide blondes.'

'So what is your type then?'

'Don't really have a type. I generally prefer slim women and dark hair but her personality is far more important.'

'You just described me. Well apart from the handful that is.' Lucy said giggling.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.