A Potter's Tale - Cover

A Potter's Tale

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

Chapter 6

I spent the rest of the weekend with Kate. The summer holidays were coming up in a few weeks so I got her involved in planning a holiday. She wanted sand, sea and sunshine whereas I preferred somewhere quiet and historic. As expected we arrived at no decision other than we would both do our own research.

Sunday was taken up with a trip to Alton Towers, which was only twenty minutes away. She loved all the different rides and we both had a great time, though I admit the reason behind mine was seeing my daughter's joy. We talked a lot between rides especially given the long queues for the more spectacular ones, mainly about school and football, though she did quiz me on how much I missed her Mum and whether I would ever love another woman as much. I answered as honestly as I could, even when my teenage little girl pushed me about missing the sexual side. As for loving another, I told her I doubted it but I had seen other people lose a beloved spouse and eventually find love again, so couldn't rule it out completely.

The trip back was quieter than normal, which I put down to Kate having a hoarse throat from the screaming she'd done on all the big roller-coaster type rides.

Monday was back to normal. I did a quick stock take before deciding to glaze three small vases which together with Saturday's work would make it worthwhile doing a firing. I did those in the morning and set them aside to dry. In the afternoon I took my list to Jenny and Sean.

Tuesday I spent on my wheel. The feel of moulding the wet clay is by far the most satisfying part of being a potter. As well as being the most tactile job I can think of, the ability to produce something

of beauty and worth is very gratifying. Mid afternoon I put the glazed ware into the kiln and went into the house a very content man.

'York, London or another English city?' I asked Kate that evening.

'Eh!' was her expected response.

'For a long weekend.'

'Oh! Okay. How about London.' She stated quickly. 'I've always wanted to see one of those big West End shows.'

'Okay, London it is. Any particular show?'

Kate thought for a few minutes. 'Cats.'

'I'm not sure if that is still running but I'll check it out.'

'Cool.'

'Sorry Cats doesn't appear to be on, ' I told my daughter half an hour later.

I showed her a quick list of what was on and we settled on 'Mamma Mia' on the Saturday evening. On Sunday evening I knew what I wanted to see and was pretty certain Kate would enjoy it too. The Comedy Store Players always performed their improvisation show on Sundays and Wednesdays and I never missed a it if I was in London. It would mean we wouldn't get back home until after midnight but I knew Kate would be alright for a one off late night before school.

Friday I picked her up from school and after a quick change at home we headed for the capital. I'd booked two nights in a good, though not great, hotel. It was the first time my daughter had stayed in a hotel and loved the pomp of it all.

The weekend flew past with both of us enjoying just about everything about the trip. Most of all I enjoyed the quality time I was spending with Kate. Like the Alton Towers visit, my daughter did question me a lot on my personal life and future plans. It was just as we started on the way back that she told me that after a lot of thought, she didn't mind if I had a girlfriend as long as I didn't neglect her. Given her initial response to Terry I was very surprised. Still the point was mute as I had no plans along those lines.

About five minutes after that bit of news Kate was fast asleep and stayed that way until about 00:45 when we arrived home. Seemingly without waking my daughter went to bed and immediate sleep. I was tired too, but still took another hour before I joined the land of nod.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.