A Different Surfin' Safari
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2010 by Frank Speaks

The girls rode and we men walked. We went northeasterly along Mission Road heading for the interstate path that would take us north to Moreno Valley. Our path was easy and we were not hurrying because the horses were loaded. We wanted to arm the Moreno's for the trip back as well as while they packed for the trip. We made the trip without fuss coming into the valley quietly.

Rob and I were in front and he froze as he looked out. He said, "My parent's farm is under attack!" He started to unload his horse asking Terry to get off.

"Stop!" I exclaimed. "Let's plan this for just a few seconds and do it right. First, does it look like your parents are safe at the moment?"

"Yes." He answered shortly.

"Okay," I said, "Let's plan on how to attack the attackers." I had picked and brought two sniper rifles with me. I figured that could give us an edge. "Where is their house? Where would they be inside it?"

"There." He pointed at a small cottage to our left and front.

"Okay. Let's think about where the attackers are right now."

"They are over there at that fire preparing fire arrows!"

"Quiet, we want to surprise them." I hissed. I picked one of the sniper rifles cases and laid it on the ground quickly opening it and preparing it for firing. After loading, I walked over a few feet to get a clear line of fire to the fire where I could see men. I lifted the rifle and sighted in. I described what I was seeing following it with a question. "Do any of these men look like someone from your group?"

"No."

"All right. Watch this." I set up a tripod stand to hold me steady and took aim and squeezed the trigger. The rifle didn't make much noise compared to others with which we had practiced. A moment later, one of the figures fell. The others looked around trying to figure out what had happened. I started to shoot as quickly as I could chamber another round, aim, and fire. Four shots later, the fire had no one close to it and three figures writhing on the ground. I took careful aim and shot the most active again. He froze and went limp.

"What are you doing, Sal?"

"I am shooting your parents' attackers. Two are still wounded and one is now dead. The rest ducked under cover. Now, let's prepare for a fight and go over, slowly, to your parents' house. Okay?"

"Okay."

We all moved slowly over toward Rob's parents' house. We stayed well out in the open preventing anyone from shooting without showing themselves. When we got close, I suggested to Rob that he call out to his parents.

"Mom! Dad! It's Rob. Are you okay?"

From inside, I heard an older man's voice. "Rob, is that you?"

"Yes, Dad, it's me with some new friends. We are coming in. Okay?"

"Okay, Son. Come on in."

We went in and were met by Paul, Rob's father, and his wife, Ella, at the door. He introduced Terry first. Then he introduced Jennifer and me. They had talked a lot on the trip to Moreno and there seemed to be a genuine fondness developing. Ella was effusive in her greeting to Terry. Paul noticed both Terry and Jennifer and paid particular attention to me and to my gun. An arrow hit the ground five feet from us. Paul said, "The Sanbern's haven't given up. See if you can scare them some more with that popper of yours, Sal."

I set up and Jennifer and I looked out over the open field toward the woods to our right from which it seemed the arrow had originated. I saw movement and targeted it. I shot and a body fell out into the open. Paul stood open mouthed. He had not realized that my "popper" was a weapon rather than a noise maker. Jennifer pointed at another spot and I shot at it. We heard a faint groan of pain. I shot again a little lower at the same area but we heard and saw nothing. We waited for another move to create a target.

Paul said, "Can you use that thing inside?"

"Yes, sir," I replied, "it makes some noise but not much."

"Son, you and John lead the horses around back and stable them."

"Jennifer, take your rifle and cover them." I said. The three of them left and the rest of us went inside.

I heard two shots a moment later. I ran out to the back and the stable. Fifty feet away, I saw two dead men. Rob had an arrow in his lower arm and there was another stuck over his head at the wall. I called out to Terry who came to help Rob. I helped John stable the horses. He ushered us inside and locked the stable door from the inside. Then, he took us into the house through a door in the back. We had seen no more targets.

Inside, Paul was watching his wife and Terry bandage Rob's arm. He saw us come in and gestured for us to sit down. He came over to us and said, "I first thought those poppers were just that. You two know how to use them well."

"Thank you, Sir." I said. "We brought more with supplies for you Moreno's and our place is available for you when you are ready to leave."

Rob came over. "Thanks, Jennifer. I think if there had been more time for them to shoot, they might have gotten me." Terry came with him. Hearing that, she hugged Jennifer tightly. "Dad, we brought guns and ammo for us to fight a battle or to cover our leaving and go to a safer place we found. Sal and Jennifer have a safe place and we're all invited. We can fight off bad guys and farm and have cattle for food as well as milk."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.