The Disappearance of Big Tony - Cover

The Disappearance of Big Tony

Copyright© 2010 by happyhugo

Chapter 2

Uncle Mort phoned that evening. I happened to be present when he called. He told Chazzy that her mother, Delores, was getting worse all of the time. She was in and out of reality and was making no sense at all. She was always babbling about some guy named Merton, no family name given. A cold chill went through me. Just how close had my Dad been to Mrs. Smith? I mean, Dad's middle name was Merton. He never used it, just the initial M.

Maybe this was the reason that Dad had been so adamant that I never go near the Smith place. But why even after Big Tony had disappeared? Did Dad have something to do with that as well? God I hoped not. I was looking at Chazzy when that thought crossed my mind. I didn't want her ever thinking that my Dad had anything to do with his death. She might possibly hold it against me. I couldn't have that.

My father and mother had been dead for five years, dying only a few months apart. He never mentioned the Smiths in the later years, except to caution me that one time about staying away from the property. There was mystery, but I couldn't begin to tell what it was. I started thinking, maybe with Chazzy's help, I should begin to clean out the attic. The family had stored a bunch of boxes and trunks up there over the years. It wasn't the easiest place to get to and you really needed two people to bring stuff over to the trap door and hand it down the stairs.

I was thinking about it when the phone rang. "Hi Marv, would you like a house guest next week?"

"Sure Babe, I was wondering if I was going to see you this year. Are things the same as last year?"

"Right now they are. There are some changes coming up and this will be the last time I will be staying with you. In your room, anyway. How about you?"

"Well, I've rented the big room out to a woman. She is almost a recluse and stays here on the place most of the time. I do the shopping for both of us."

"Are you sleeping with her? I wouldn't want to interfere."

"No, I'm not sleeping with her. She is big enough to repel any advances I made to her, so haven't attempted to get closer. I do like her very much and we do get along great. I'm careful of her fragile ego though. I'm her personal trainer and that keeps us occupied. I'm waiting on my latest book to come back for rewrite, so I'm pretty much free for the summer. Babe, can't you come a couple of days early? I'm anxious to see you."

"That tells me more than everything else you have said. You need some sex don't you?"

"More than usual. You'll see why when you get here."

I knocked on Chazzy's door. I was told to come in. "I just had a phone call from my ex-wife. She is coming to stay next week. You'll like her. Oh, we are still friends and sometimes intimate. She will be sleeping with me in my room while she is here. I just thought you should know." I felt awkward and couldn't understand why.

"Okay, thanks for letting me know. Goodnight, Jones." Chazzy turned from me and after a bit, I backed out of the room.

In the morning there were questions. "I didn't know you had been married."

"Yes, Jackie and I were married for five years. She is a surgeon in Boston and is very dedicated to her work. When I took up writing, I found there were too many distractions in the city, so I came back to Vermont where I could concentrate. After a year or so we thought it best for us to divorce, so we did. We still love each other very much and we do have an odd relationship. From what she said on the phone last night, I think that is about to change. She sounded as if this would be our last time together."

"You must feel terrible."

"No, not really. We knew someday one of us would find someone to live with permanently. I'm glad for her. I imagine I will meet her new interest someday and I imagine I will be his friend as well as Jackie's. I hope so anyway."

"You are very comfortable with the situation."

"I am. I want her to be happy and I want us to be friends. I can't imagine Jackie picking a mate that wouldn't be my friend."

"Do you want me to leave while she's here? Won't I cramp your style?"

"God no! I want you to meet her and I want you two to become friends. She grew up in Brattleboro and she'll tell you all of the secrets and great times we shared, growing up together with our friends. You'll have more fun in the next week than you have had with me in the last three months. Not only that, she will buy your bikini for you if you can wait that long to go swimming."

"This scares me a little. I'm not much into becoming friends with anyone."

"I know, and I won't push for you to be. Just remember that I like you both very much and it would please me if you got along good with each other."

"I'll try, but you know me."

Life took another turn that I wasn't expecting. I was in town laying in a supply of what my ex-wife liked to eat. When I returned, Chazzy's car was missing, but there was an older gold colored Cadillac sitting in the driveway before the front door. A man was just coming down off the porch. I pulled up behind the vehicle.

"Is this where Chastity Michaels is living?"

"Yes it is."

"Good. I'm her Uncle Mortimer. I brought her mother to visit for awhile. Help me get her into the house, would you? She's tired and should be lying down."

"Okay but it will have to be in her daughter's room."

"That's fine. When will Chazzy be here?"

"I have no idea. She comes and goes as she pleases. I don't imagine it will be too long."

"I'll wait for a little while then." We practically had to carry Delores (Michaels) Smith into the house. Even I could tell that it was more than just being tired that was the trouble with her. We laid her on the bed and put a comforter over her and she went right off to sleep. She wasn't even awake enough for me to be introduced. The amount of luggage that was unloaded from the Caddie was surprising. It seemed as if I was going to have a guest for more than just a few days.

Uncle Mort hung around for three-quarters of an hour. It almost seemed to me that he wanted to leave before his niece returned, but didn't want me to notice. As he was going down the driveway, he met Chazzy coming up. He pulled over and they talked through their rolled down windows. The conversation lasted for more than ten minutes.

She drove her car up and parked it beside the house. I thought she would hurry in and see her mother. Instead she sat there. Finally she came in slowly. "Uncle Mort said he brought Mom here. He thinks she is about to die."

"What do the doctors say?"

"She has been to only one. He is an older than the hills fart. What does he know? He says it is Alzheimer's disease and her brain is deteriorating rapidly." Chazzy was crying now. "We don't have any insurance. Uncle Mort says to let her die. It would be the most merciful thing for her."

"You can't do that." I went to the phone and called 911. "I have a woman here that is very unstable, almost comatose." I was answering questions as fast as they were asked. It took the Rescue Squad just under fifteen minutes to arrive. I took Chazzy in her car and we followed Rescue to the emergency room. I let Chazzy answer the questions this time as the mother was being evaluated.

The emergency room was quite large and while Delores was being checked, Chazzy hid the best she could in one corner. This was the first time I had seen Chazzy out in any kind of public setting since I had picked her up at the bus depot months before. She was in a panic mode. I guess I could understand a little bit now why I was the person who had been doing the shopping for her.

Three hours later Delores was admitted. She had been through a series of scans in X-ray. The diagnosis was that she had a brain tumor and should be operated on as soon as possible. There would be a consultation in the morning among the doctors. I didn't say it, but with no insurance, there was going to be some problems.

Chazzy and I didn't feel like eating when we got home. I made toast and tea and found we were hungry after all, so I made more. Toast this time was loaded with jam. "How much money do you have? This is going to be costly, you know."

"I know, but I can't let Mom die. I think I can scrape up about $53,000. That won't be enough will it?"

"No, probably not. How about your uncle? Delores is his sister."

"Hah! The way he has treated Mom all of her life, I wouldn't think to ask him. You know he was the one that practically sold her to Big Tony when she was seventeen. I'm surprised Uncle Mort hasn't hired a hit man to get rid of Mom."

I stared at Chazzy. "You don't know do you? Well, I'm not going to tell you much, but don't bring my uncle into this, especially where money is concerned. You hear about family and how they pull together. Not true in this case. Jones, I think you are my only hope. I'll make a deal with you. You know, sort of like an indentured servant. I'll keep house for you as long as it takes to pay off Mama's debt."

"You must think I'm rich."

"No I know you aren't, but you write books and they must bring in a lot. You wouldn't have to pay it all at once."

"You would sign up for a long time to save your mother?"

"I have to."

"Well, that's exemplary, but I hope it's not necessary. Let me make some phone calls." I dialed Jackie's number and a sleepy man's voice came on the phone and said hello.

"May I speak to Jackie, please? This is Marv Jones."

A minute later. "Hi, this is a surprise. What's up?"

"Jackie, a woman, somewhere around fifty, diagnosed with a brain tumor, no insurance, destitute and a resident of Townshend MA. Is there any help for her?"

"Umm, maybe. Where is she?"

"Here in Brattleboro. She is kind of a friend of a friend. The doctors are having a conference call in the morning about her condition. Would you call and sit in?"

"This is important to you, isn't it? Is it important enough to relinquish what we agreed on when we divorced and what I was going to fulfill next week?"

"Yes."

"Okay, I'll see what I can do. What time are the doctors having their meeting?"

"Eleven o'clock. Jackie, bring your friend when you come up. I'll make up the guest bedroom so you can be comfortable. No matter if your efforts do or don't produce any results, bring him anyway."

I hung up the phone and smiled at Chazzy, giving her some hope for her mother's well being. Me, I had given up something that I had only been looking forward to since she had called me last night. This was the date I had with my ex-wife for a whole week of love and friendship. Funny, I made the agreement to give up this week with Jackie and as of yet, I didn't regret it.

I looked at Chazzy, "I called a surgeon and she is going to sit in tomorrow. Maybe we will have some good news about your mother."

"That was your ex-wife, wasn't it? Why would she help?"

"Chazzy, I suspect from a couple of clues I have had, that your Mom knew my father. I would like to find out how well they knew each other. When and if your mother gets well, I'm going to ask her. She can't refuse answering me truthfully. I'm willing to expend the effort to make that happen."

"Do you think they had anything to do with Big Tony's disappearance?"

"I doubt it. Chazzy, tell me something? You most usually refer to your father as Big Tony--not Dad. Why?"

"Everyone called him that, even Mom. He was huge. Much bigger than you. Where do you think I got my size from? Besides that, he was always busy and I was mostly under my mother's care."

"Okay I guess I can understand it. I always called my father, Dad. It was just a question. Change of subject. You will have to be at the doctor's conference in the morning. Are you going to be able to handle it all right?"

"Yes. I can do what I have to do, when it is really necessary. I did yesterday, didn't I?"

"Yes you did, but I could tell you hated it." I received a shrug of the shoulders.

In the morning, I took Chazzy into the hospital. I was questioned about my right to be in attendance. I replied that if the patient, Delores, was to be transported anywhere, I was available to pay for it. Besides, the woman's daughter requested my presence. I was in--not welcomed--but I was there anyway.

The conference commenced. Jackie checked in by phone and was to take part in the discussion after the doctors explained what and where the tumor was located. Jackie did have the X-ray and scans that had been faxed to her.

As the meeting wound down, it had been decided that Delores was to travel to Boston to the Leahy Clinic for the operation. Jackie would be assisting in the operation without charge. The hospital administration had worked hard to find what resources they could to reimburse them. As the patient was a resident of MA, the surgeon's fee would be covered as well, up to 80%. The hospital would bill their charges, and there were some plans where some of these charges would be picked up. The transportation cost by ambulance was noted by Jackie. "I'm picking that up."

"Is that you Marv? I wondered if you wouldn't do something to help." The attention now was really on me. "I'll be up to stay with you on Tuesday, after the operation and the initial recovery is completed. Mrs. Smith should be in her room sometime on Monday so our plans shouldn't be a problem. Are we finished here gentlemen? If so, I'll start lining up the operating room and personnel. Wish me success in the procedure."

The doctor in charge went to work ordering the transfer from Brattleboro to Boston. It was taking place this afternoon. Delores was to be admitted and would go into the operating room Monday, the day following tomorrow. Chazzy and I went up to her room and looked in on her mother. She was awake and was pleased to see her daughter. She looked at me. "Hi Merton, how is Janice?"

I answered that I was fine and almost said that Mom was good too. Delores evidently was thinking I was my father and that mother was still alive. Chazzy realized this and took over the conversation, which was disjointed and with many pauses. I was still puzzled over why Delores used my father's middle name and not his first of John. If Delores came out of this, I'm sure I would find out.

Arrangements were made for Chazzy to travel with her mother in the ambulance and a room would be provided when she arrived at the hospital.

"Jones, wish me luck. I don't mean about Mom. I mean that I don't have a panic attack through all of this. I'll be fine if someone doesn't make a comment on how I look."

"You can't help how you look. You're big and you can be intimidating. Use that to your advantage. If someone makes a snide remark, head right for them and challenge them. Get right in their face and ask them to repeat what they said. I bet you'll get an apology."

"Oh, I couldn't do that."

"No, I don't suppose you can. Oh well, you'll be back home in a few days. You are coming back aren't you?"

"I couldn't live anywhere else."

"Good, bring your mother with you if she will come. I don't want her going back to your uncle. I think he wanted her to die." I got Chazzy ready and took her back down town to the hospital. I walked her in and went up to her mother's room. Delores was sleeping. It wasn't long before she was being made ready for transport. Suddenly, it was a little awkward between us.

"Call me this evening. I want to know how your mother stood the trip."

"Okay. Jones, I don't know how to thank you for doing so much for me. It is a debt I'm afraid will never be paid, because it is so much."

"Don't worry about it unless I send you a bill. Chazzy, I'm being honest now. You have made my life so much less lonely these last few months. I'll miss you just for the few days you will be gone." I stepped to her and put my arms around her. "I mean, I'll really miss you!"

"I'm at a loss for words. I have never known anyone that is as nice as you. I'll be back." The ambulance was waiting and Chazzy slid into the front seat. She put her arm out the rolled down window and I grasped her hand as the vehicle pulled away.

I received a call from her in the evening. "Jones, thank God we got Mom here when we did. She had convulsions not long after she was settled in her room. There was a team right here and they were able to stop them almost immediately. Think what might have happened if you hadn't got her to the hospital yesterday and got care for her. She might even be dead by now. I'm going to be able to stay here in the room with her. Everyone is so nice to me.

"I wish I was home now, but I know I will be in a few days. You know what you said about what I should do if someone said something mean about how I look? I thought it over and you know what? I'm just waiting for someone. Boy are they going to get it." I laughed.

"Jones, I know what you were thinking when you laughed just now. You were thinking that you have created a monster, weren't you?"

This was said in such a way that I knew she wouldn't be hurt if I admitted it. "Have I?"

It was her turn to laugh. "Not yet, but it could happen. There was a pause. "Jones, I'm going to meet your wife in the morning. She is scheduled to come in about nine. I'm worried about it."

"Don't be. You think I'm nice, wait until you meet her. She is wonderful." There was a silence. "Chazzy?"

"I'm here. You still love your wife don't you?"

"Of course I do, but really, our relationship is over. We are both okay with that and are the best of friends. If you get a chance to talk to her after you meet, tell her about what we have been doing. You know about your exercise and diet program. She'll be very interested. I'm not telling you why either. Chazzy, I'm going to bed and you should too. Call me again tomorrow night. Promise?"

"I will. Goodnight Jones, I--"

What was Chazzy going to say as the receiver clicked? Was she going to finish the sentence with "love?" How did I feel about that? Umm, maybe a little more than okay. And--the house felt so empty without Chazzy in the other room.

Jackie was the first to call the next day. "Hi Marv, I looked in on the woman that I'm seeing in surgery tomorrow. I think her chances are good for a complete recovery. That is unless the growth is cancerous. Even then, because of its position, I think there will be little problem. I met her daughter." Jackie stopped speaking.

I waited for her to continue. She didn't. "And?"

Now she did. "We talked. We talked about her mother, but more about you. The woman is in love with you. She will never admit it. Her self-esteem is too low. She actually didn't admit how she felt about you, but I know where she is coming from. I felt much the same way about you at one time. I still love you. You gave me such a boost when I needed it."

"I had to. You had so much talent as a promising surgeon. I couldn't see it wasted. I kind of gathered that you may have met someone that will make you happy in all respects. That's a question."

"Yes I have. I know you will be happy for me. Thank God this other came up before I came to Vermont for our last tryst. If Chazzy heard us making love, it would have just about destroyed her. I would be feeling guilt as well, but I promised you one last love making session."

"I wasn't going to hold you to it and I was going to suggest other sleeping arrangements after you arrived."

"Oho. You feel something for Chazzy as well. Marv, I have a question. Don't her looks bother you?"

"Yes they do, but for her, not for myself."

"You know, we have some fabulous reconstructive surgeons here. They can do wonders and make most of her problems go away. They are expensive though and she couldn't get much help from insurance. It would be elective surgery."

"I know all of that. And who is going to suggest it to her? Not me, because she would think I didn't like the way she is. I don't, that part is true. If her face was reconstructed, she would blossom into an amazing, beautiful person. Her personality would change and her low self-esteem would disappear. That is what I want for her."

"You wouldn't mind if I drop her a hint would you? Then if she ever can get the financing, she would be a new person."

"You can, but I don't see it as ever happening. Are you still coming up next week? I'm dying to see you."

"Yes, and I will have a man with me."

"Great! Jackie I think we have had the best relationship together. I'm glad we both are single now, so we can move on to someone new. I might even contemplate marriage again myself."

"Chazzy?"

"Yes, Chazzy. Jackie don't say anything. This is all new, me thinking of her that way. What I would really like is to bring her out of her shell just a little and have her get a little more confidence in herself. It is in her, I just know it is. She will be in Boston all of next week and she knows you are coming to Vermont. I almost told her flat out we would be sleeping together. If you can get a chance, let her know you will be sleeping with someone else."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.