Doc
Chapter 28

Copyright© 2010 by Kingkey

As I headed back toward the ranch, I was thinking about the situation and what George Manypenny and his commission would do to the Lakota, if allowed to proceed. I could tell he was just a front man for some Washington hotshots who were out to steal what they could, without regard to anyone else.

Turning toward Grandpa I asked, "What do you think of what that jackass Manypenny was saying? There's got to be some way we can stop him, otherwise the Sioux will go back on the warpath! They'll turn this area into a bloodbath, while his cronies sit on their fat asses in Washington. Then all the efforts of trying to improve the lives of the Sioux would be lost, and they'll be stuck on that damn reservation! For the next two hundred years they will live a life of poverty. In my time, the Sioux nation has lost their pride, with many of them living on government handouts, and a lot of them dying as alcoholics."

"Clay, there's got to be something we can do to battle this! I thought your idea of having them sign leases would make a difference?"

"I think it will help. The Government is much more of a stickler about forcing people to abide by legal contracts, than they are about keeping their word themselves."

"Isn't there anything else you can think of? I mean, the lease idea is a good one, but there's got to be more a person can do."

"Well, I was thinking of me and Dove, along with Jake, taking a trip to Washington to try to get the people there to understand what is going on out here. That the bunch of thieves in the Bureau of Indian affairs are supposed to be helping the Indians, but it seems as if they're only trying to line their own pockets. They give a massive budget a definite top rating, however it seems as if they buy the lowest quality of goods they can manage. For instance, most of the beef cattle they buy is undernourished and sickly. Another big example is the blankets they issued had been used during a measles epidemic. While most White Men recover from the measles and chickenpox, those are quite deadly to the Indians because they have no immunities to them. However, I do not see how I can take the time to go to Washington, due to being a Deputy again. I still need to make at least one more circuit through the area in case there is a need for a doctor. That's why I'm trying to set up classes to at least show other people how to handle some medical emergencies. I can't be ten places at once!"

"You're right, Clay. You have been awful busy lately. Hell, we never see you much anyway, except between your circuits. Maybe I should go to Washington instead. I might not be able to make as big an impression as you and your wives along with Standing Bear, However Dove is also Lakota, so it should make some impression. I think she may enjoy a shopping trip to the big city, as I think the only place she has ever been, other than this area of the Black Hills, is Fort Laramie, the trading post, and the Indian camp outside the fort's gates! They are nowhere, compared to Washington."

"If you could do this it would sure be a big help, Grandpa. I just got so much on my plate now, I don't have time to think straight. There is just so much that still needs to be done! What with the classes I'm planning to teach, trying to help the Indians, making at least one more circuit of the towns in the area, and trying to figure out the changes I'm going to make to the wagon to be able to use it for the winter; I feel as if things are coming at me from all directions."

"Clay, you'll work all this out. Just remember you're not alone. You have plenty of family to help you in any way they can. Maybe you just need to take a step back from everything and relax. Hell, take Standing Bear and Jake fishing this afternoon. You know how much they love having you spend time with Standing Bear, anyway."

"I guess I have been neglecting him. Maybe I should take him with me more often. I know how close Jake and him have become, though. If I took him with me, he could at least run errands; saving me a little time, and giving us a chance to get to know each other better."

"That's the way to start thinking! Also, when you start working on your wagon, let Jake and him help. I know that there's not much they can do except fetch and carry and hand you things, but at least this way it will make him feel useful."

"You're right. I need to spend more time around family. It's just I keep feeling all the other obligations."

"Clay, if you keep it up you're going to end up burned out. You need to find time to relax and enjoy yourself."

Around this time we were just getting to our horses when I remembered I needed to pick up some better weapons for the Lakota to use in their hunting. I mentioned this to Grandpa, so we crossed the street to the Mercantile to see what they had in the way of used weapons. Upon examining what they had, I chose six rifles; four of which were Winchesters, the other two were Henrys. The only real difference was that Winchester had added a guard around the loading tube. I also bought a couple of ten gauge Greener shotguns, plus a few boxes of shells. I was planning on rationing the shells and the bullets for the rifles just to try to keep things from getting out of hand.

I ended up spotting some bolts of cloth that my wives might like, so I picked them up, too. After wrapping everything up in a couple of bundles to make them easier to carry. We mounted our horses and headed back toward the ranch.

As we turned into the ranch compound, Standing Bear spotted us. Jake and Standing Bear came racing their ponies up to us to see what we were bringing back. I could tell just from their actions, that they missed being around me since I was gone so much.

I said, "I have a few things to do, but it shouldn't take too long. What say this afternoon maybe we should try to catch a few trout for supper? Why don't you two go and get everything ready?"

This seemed to excite the two boys, and they raced off to get things ready for a lazy afternoon of fishing. As busy and hectic as the last few weeks had been, just laying around fishing and bonding with the boys sounded like a great chance to unwind and relax. I knew that after this morning's confrontation with Manypenny, things were going to get really busy, soon. Besides all the other things going on, I had to make at least one more circuit to the different towns in my area. Also, I still had to get set up to teach the advanced first aid course, and to try to be able to put snow runners on my medical wagon so as to be able to get around in the winter after the snow started flying. Winters in the Black Hills can get very severe. Besides subzero temperatures; quite often with the wind blowing during a blizzard, it became a total whiteout condition. I figured at the first sign of harsh weather, I could always pull over and make camp, staying inside the medical wagon. It had its own stove for heat, and cooking. One thing I was not looking forward to was the arguments amongst my wives when they found out I would not be letting them go with me because of their pregnancies!

As we were setting on the creek bank relaxing, with the boys happily chatting away about things in general, such as who was going to catch the first fish and who was going to catch the biggest fish.

I asked Grandpa, "So what are the plans once you get to Washington?"

Grandpa said, "I think first off I need to try to get an appointment with the office of Indian Affairs to see me, which I don't think I'll have much luck with. Then, after being turned away by them; I think it'll be time to bring the story to the newspapers about the way the government is preparing to break the treaty again, and steal the land from the Sioux nation because of the gold found there. The politicians just want to be lining their own pockets with it. What are your plans in the meantime?"

I said, "I have so many irons in the fire right now that my head is almost spinning. I'm going to have to get things ready for winter which means we still have to get the hunting done with Red Cloud that was interrupted before, I'm still going to need to make at least one more circuit for the medical problems of the other towns, modify my medical wagon to try and put runners on it so as to be able to get through the snow in case of an emergency. I still need to put on that class of advanced first aid awareness so there will be some sort of medical care in the towns during the winter, plus I know that Manypenny will become a pain in the ass during all this and I'll have to keep an eye on him!"

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.