Battlemage: Book 8 - Origins and Dark Revelations
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2010 by Risq

4006 seasons previously before current times

"Wow Wolfgang, you really know how to show a girl a good time," said Beth as she grinned at him and started swinging down from high within the tree once the patrol had gone past.

"I have to, never can tell when you might get bored with me and decide to move on," smiled Wolfgang as he landed before her and then smiled back up at her as she continued down.

Wolfgang watched as Beth lightly swung down from the last branch to stand close to him. She was flushed as she stood looking him directly in the eyes, but he was sure it wasn't from her exertions in climbing down.

Pickup up all the fallen branches and leaves that came free from their decent, he took notice that the last four seasons had been very good to her.

Beth filled out more than he would have thought possible since their first meeting and one would be hard pressed to believe that she was at one time ever mistaken for a boy. Her chest grew as well as her hair length. At present she kept it braded and swinging behind her normally as to keep it out of her face.

She might not have the tiny waistline that some women always seemed to want, but she was lean, intelligent, athletically built, and had a determination that often rivaled his.

Wolfgang tried not to let her catch him staring at her, as they worked, but her blue eyes and smattering of freckles on her face often made him take the chance to look her direction.

He also had to admit the cutest thing she did that he just loved was when she scrunched up her nose when she heard or saw something she didn't like. But if he was truly honest with himself he thought, everything that he found out about her he liked.

Today as they started off headed back to camp Wolfgang was surprised how much of a change he was able to enact on his homeland once he decided to return.

Once everyone came to his previous home, he found that nothing had happened in the valley where he once lived.

Standing there looking at the ruined home he was at a loss for why they were all murdered if the Duke had no intention to actually use the land. It appeared as if all his family and friends were killed on a "whim".

Realization came that they were all just unimportant pawns to those in charge and he grimly started to bury all the remains of those left without speaking a word.

Watching this, his new friends pitched in and helped him and not one of them remarked as he silently worked with a silent grim expression or as tears sometimes ran down his face.

They could see the determination in his eyes to make someone pay for all of this.

Within the months after returning Wolfgang didn't want to advertise that they were now living there in the valley that he grew up in, in case patrols came around, so they setup camp in the thicker parts of the woods, which had caves near by so that they could move around at a moments notice. But they often raided his former village for any useable supplies that were left or any hidden cellars that were still stocked and useable.

At this time they started searching the area around them to get a feel for their new surroundings, and Wolfgang often found others who were also disgruntled about how the Kingdom was being run, but didn't speak up for fear of being persecuted for it. Working quietly he was able to find others who were willing to band together with him to help change their kingdom.

But also during this time of searching for companions, he realized that some only wanted to follow him for the any free food he could give.

He could tell that they only told him what he wanted to hear and then demanded some form of payment. Sometimes it was either food or some of his inventions to make their lives easier.

Wolfgang quickly realized that he would need to weed those who weren't helpful from the ones who were. And he was extremely careful to not tell them more than they needed to know while he was scouting the areas.

In his searching the ones he eventually found who could help with his ultimate goal, he worked hard at getting them any form of training he could. He didn't want them to get easily killed trying to help him. That wouldn't help anyone.

Also during this period of time he was surprised by the number of ex-guards who had escaped the castle once the King took over, who had managed to hide in some way or form, and now were happy to assist him in anyway they could by either joining up or providing some form of training to the ones helping him.

Using that as working modeling, he soon found more capable people who were either willing to join him or were willing to help train those who capable and able to fight.

Before he realized it he had a decent unit that he could now move at a moments notice. He split them into four teams to make it easier to coordinate and work with.

Even the teens that came with him were soon able to fight far better than they had running around as thieves and pickpockets.

The bit of luck that he found out was that out of the twenty four that came with him five of them were able to use magic in some small way or form. They were the ones who previously were the best at slight of hand and card tricks. Apparently they used it unconsciously to help themselves in their work.

Wolfgang hoped that his inability to use a weapon could be explained by his being a mage as well, so he also tried to learn how to use magic from the few that were training some of his mages in the basics, but he proved unable to even use magic, so he concentrated on his other abilities once again.

But Beth seemed to take to the use of the bow like a duck to water once she was shown how to use it. He was surprised at her ability to use a weapon that she had never held before.

But that wasn't all he noticed.

During her training she had started to fill out quite nicely and that was apparent to all, and one often noticed that well before you realized her quick mind. Of course she often led one of his teams as well as an able commander.

As they built this force, whenever he was alone with her, he would mentally relive his chase of her through the streets seasons before, and her preparation to control the pace of the chase.

Even recognizing what the possible ending to that chase, complete with a trap, might have had a different impact on his life if he had fallen into if he had been anyone else or less prepared.

But now over time she had proved invaluable to have around, as she just proved today yet again to him.

Today on a lark, he had requested she accompany him while scouting the area looking for signs of any new patrols and to see about a few homes, which were less guarded, to raid.

But in truth it was to spend some quite time alone with her. While he wanted to be with her, as the only and sole man in her life, he wanted more to offer her before he took that step.

Beth wanted to climb a tree after they had been out awhile as she felt that they might see more of a layout of the surrounding area by her doing so. Not seeing any reason to discount her request, and feeling that more information was always useful, he sat at the base of the tree as she climbed taking all her equipment with her, until her shrill bird cry caught his attention.

Scrambling up the tree, he barely made it before a patrol started to emerge from the surrounding trees, obviously looking for signs of his band, as they soon made their way through the area they were just in.

It was a large enough patrol that they couldn't have fought them on their own and might have been caught if Beth wasn't as cautious as she was. Seasons of living on the streets were something that was still proving useful to her.

But as they watched the patrol disappear in the distance they climbed down the tree and headed back to camp.

Wolfgang couldn't help but smile again at her earlier comment as they trudged on.

She was a far cry from the suspicious young girl she was when he met her. He noticed that she never publicly questioned his ideas but would still chime in with additions of her own to his plans. They worked so well together that it was hard to find one without the other being close by.

Over the course of the last four seasons Beth had managed to show her interest in Wolfgang without so many words, and him being who he was, picked up on it quickly and they had become an item over the last couple seasons. Everyone knew they were spoken for, even if they hadn't made it physical or official yet.

But they both wanted to wait because at a moments notice either could be gone, and Beth wasn't sure that if she was the one left behind that she would, or could, want to raise a child alone in this environment if they failed in their quest.

So they pledged silently to each other and always stopped just short having sex, as hard as it was, in their times together as they explored each other.

But this wasn't to say that during this time Beth wasn't still her own woman, for she could disagree with Wolfgang, and sometimes did. But she always chose to do it in private as to show unity for him in his quest to free the people, and Wolfgang didn't hesitate to listen.

And as he saw again today, once again it proved invaluable to him to have someone like her around and to listen to her suggestions.

Today as they headed back to camp they left false trails away from where they stayed. When they started their operation Beth brought up the idea that if they built a couple of false camps around the area they could keep the soldiers guessing where they were and it would help hide their true numbers. Wolfgang developed a few teams dedicated to nothing but doing that around their island home.

She was also the one who suggested that some of her friends be used to infiltrate the castle.

But Wolfgang, who could see the value in that plan, put them in various other places as well such as Taverns, Inns, villages, and town to make sure he had the whole land covered. Soon there wasn't anything that happened that he wasn't informed of.

And following through on that one act became a harsh eye opener.

He had no idea how corrupt the King and his court were until he was fed their information. And with the various members of the different levels of royalty in the land, he often heard all their dirty little secrets as well. He couldn't find anyone among them who didn't benefit from the corruptness of the King or the land.

And one of the most disturbing things he learned was that presently the King was trying to impregnate multiple women, regardless if they were still taken or not, to insure his line. Lately any visiting royalty who came to ask for a favor was expected to bring at least one young girl with them for his pleasure. But two or more was expected.

Thankfully he suggested that none of the ones they setup to spy within the castle were women, and as more information was received he realized it was the best decision he could have possibly made, given the reason he later found out that this was why almost all of the female servants had long fled from the castle grounds.

Wolfgang realized the time to stop them all was fast approaching.

That also made his decision to pilfer the homes of the numerous different nobles around the kingdom much easier to do as well. He didn't want to compromise his placed informants so he would often stage a raid when they were home, tying them up as well as the nobles, so that they could see it was from an outside source.

Items taken from such raids, such as food, clothing, and money, were shared with the ones who didn't have anything or were just scraping to get by. He made it a point to visit various poor areas to help with anything he could.

But he would make sure to break down the jewelry and smelt the metal so that it wasn't traced back to him. He would never take from just anyone, just ones who were identified as ones stealing or abusing the public.

Today though, as they made their way into the camp he again realized how small his force really was compared to the King he was trying to overthrow.

They had to keep it small because they wanted to move quickly, but also because like his spies around the Kingdom he had no idea who would report their location for whatever crumbs the crown might award them for their capture.

Over the last four seasons they made it a point to travel around the countryside helping people. If they needed crops planted they helped. If they needed them harvested they helped as well. For those who couldn't get food they provide that as well.

But they never avoided raiding any solider patrols if they could. It was a source of weapons as well as information.

A few times the soldier's secretly helped them during a raid, only later trying to join his band, but Wolfgang never let them. He didn't want to chance a mole. But he hid the fact they either helped or came to him incase they were genuine in their interest.

He found that over time stories were being spoken of about them and the people were talking and appearing to unite behind them, just not vocally incase the King might suspect them. But everywhere they went the people appeared to love and protect them from the Kings men. He was very charismatic and easily liked by the people.

But through it all Wolfgang still had the dream of ridding the land of all royalty.

His dream from early was of one where everyone ruled themselves and the ones in charge answered to those same people for any bad decisions. And he always felt he was the best one create this new order as he had no ties to royalty and currently the means to do it.

As they finally made their way into the camp a couple of the men saw them and came up to speak with Wolfgang and Beth.

"Wolfgang, word is from the scouts that there is a new patrol looking for us. We moved the fake camp several miles south from here, but they don't appear to be fooled by that," said an older man with an ugly scar running along the side of his face.

He was called Dace and he used to be a sword for hire but the King once hired him for something that he wouldn't ever say, but then later when it came time to be paid the King had all the bones in his right hand broken and they had kept him imprisoned while it healed badly instead of the King paying him.

While he could still use his hand for simple things, when relaxed it resembled a claw. There was no way to re-break the bones and correctly fix them the way they were set.

Thankfully Dace could use either hand, as he would never hold a sword in his right hand again, but he was always looking for a way to pay back the King.

The other man was called Travis was someone whose wife and daughter had been taken by the King in the middle of the night for his harem while he was away. He hadn't seen either in over five seasons and he was always desperate for any news about them from the spies in the castle.

"Thanks for the heads up, but Beth and I encountered them several miles east of here looking for the camp. They must have a commander who's a little smarter than the rest. Well it appears it's time to raid another scouting party," smiled Wolfgang.

"You know, I never would have followed someone as young as you if you weren't so good at what you do. I've never seen anyone predict battle flow as easily as you can. What comes natural to you is what takes other men seasons to learn," said Dace as he smiled and squeezed his shoulder before he turned away to join the group.

As they watched both men leave Beth turned to face Wolfgang and smiled big at him as she said "It's not like your head isn't big enough, but this is going to make it worse. But you're so bad with a weapon that if it wasn't for your brilliant strategies, you wouldn't have any redeeming qualities."

Smiling at her in turn Wolfgang winked at her before he said "Naaa, I could never let any of this go to my head because when your head is as small as mine all this does is make me appear normal."

Laughing they headed further into camp to call the men together to plan their raiding of the newest patrol. Before they had gone too far, Beth looked around then quickly kissed Wolfgang before they reached the area where the men would be waiting.

Wolfgang smiled as they walked on. Soon as this was all over, and the king was removed, he had a question for her that he hoped she would give a positive answer to.


As they looked over the enemy camp they were surprised how the men seemed to be laid out, and something about the layout really bothered Wolfgang, but he just couldn't put his finger on why just yet.

While he was sure it was some form of a military formation, it looked wrong. Not to mention that the men didn't seem to be looking as if they were battle harden vets. Most looked to be freshly given a weapon

Signaling Beth, Peter, and Dace over he pulled everyone closer for a quick conversation.

"Something wrong here. Not only don't t they appear to be doing as we planned, they don't seem to be men used to fighting," said Wolfgang in a whisper.

"Should we call it off," asked Beth.

"No we should do as planned, but be very careful until we figure out why. Right now we know the terrain, it's night time, they only have a few guards, and they don't know about our plan to attack," said Wolfgang smiling.

"So we're still going with your plan that we discussed then? Group one take the right, group two the left, and the rest up the middle to divide them?" asked Peter.

"Yes that should work but as it starts I'll work my way around alone to see what is going on. I need to know why something feels off. We checked for traps coming in, but I keep feeling that we're missing something. Try not to kill anymore than you have to because we need answers," said Wolfgang as he looked around.

Giving the signal they all advanced to their assigned positions. They would wait for Beth to signal with an owl sound before the attack started.

As Wolfgang made his way around the camp one of the reasons he felt something was off became apparent.

The commander's tent was at the back edge of the camp. Normally the commander surrounded himself with his men, but why was the commander out here by himself? What he felt as off was that he couldn't find the commander where he was normally supposed to be.

Right as he reached the edge of camp near the commander's tent he heard Beth's call and then pandemonium broke out in the camp.

As young boys seemed to run around everywhere clearly in confusion, the Commander seemed to step out of his tent in relative calm, and as Wolfgang looked curiously on he realized that the man wasn't dressed for sleep. He was fully armed! He was expecting them! But why didn't his men?

While the Commander didn't appear that much bigger than Wolfgang was and appeared to be quite a few seasons older than Wolfgang, he did give the impression that he was more experienced with weapons.

As the fighting was raging on around him, he stood quietly, calmly, and surveyed what everyone was doing. He seemed unhurried in his assessment of the fighting going on around him.

"Let me guess, you're looking for little old me," said Wolfgang from the shadows.

"Ahh, Wolfgang I presume?" said the Commander smiling big back at him.

Trying not to appear startled Wolfgang asked "And how do you figure that?"

"Well in watching everyone the reports always said that the man with the darkest hair and who seemed to in the most control of the situation would be you. And the fact you came to seek me out said that you realized was wrong with my camp. So I was waiting for you," smiled the man.

"So why do you have those boys out there?" asked Wolfgang quietly. He needed intel fast because something else still felt wrong and the commander seemed to be willing to talk.

"Ahh them? They are of no consequence. I had them taken from a town we passed by a few days ago. They were promised a lot of money for training with me, but I just needed fodder to fill out my troops," said the Commander

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.