Battlemage: Book 8 - Origins and Dark Revelations - Cover

Battlemage: Book 8 - Origins and Dark Revelations

Copyright© 2010 by Risq

Chapter 3

4010 seasons previously before current times

Tiredly, Wolfgang started for his room in the Inn where he was staying. It was not in the worst part of town, but it was far from where those with wealth spent their time.

Wolfgang could have easily stayed somewhere better, between what his father left him and how frugal he was with his funds, but he was more interested in finding out how the surrounding people felt about those in charge.

Over the seasons, since he had left his home, he was amazed at what he took for granted while he was living the sheltered life with his father.

In the small village living as farmers, and having the time to do what he wanted, he never looked beyond their valley or his daily life. Now that he was forced to, he could clearly see that most of the people of the world were living a day-by-day existence, and in some cases hand-to-mouth, for their meals.

He saw the dirty children and the filthy conditions they lived in. He also started to take notice of how little people bathed or how desperate they were to get a little money.

At times, he watched small children do dangerous jobs, often hearing them berated for not having the skills or the strength to do the job of a grown man. It was something that often disturbed him.

As he took note of those around him, he also noticed how those with money, and often some of those in charge, ignored the various plights of those truly in need.

In his former village, everyone pulled their weight, but there really weren't any who were truly better off than others were. In this city, and countless others he traveled through, it was easy to see he had truly been leading a sheltered life. His eyes were opened very widely as he traveled.

Before he could do something about anyone's life, he had to have a plan.

Moreover, before he could do anything, he first had to find a way to make the King from his homeland pay for what he had done to his father and mother. Then he would set about trying to see if he could help the rest of the world.

Lately he had the workings of a plan in mind, but he still had to figure out the means to make it happen. It required a few more people to become workable.

As he walked about, he continued to think. The more Wolfgang saw of the issues around him, the more he felt those monarchies and those with means and money, the ones who lorded it over the common man, should be replaced by those who only looked out for those who couldn't help themselves.

Tonight though, he was on his way back to his room after working late at the jewelry shop. He was working on his latest invention he called a zipper. Well that is what it was called in his dream anyway.

Only jewelers had the tools small enough to work with to prefect it. He was sure that once he had the model created, based on his design, he could prefect it. It was far larger than the smaller ones on dresses in his dreams, but he could work with it easier this way.

This passion came about because one of the problems with clothing that he always hated was that people need to use "drawstrings" to hold up their pants. They were cumbersome and hard to keep up-with. Sometimes they broke at the most inopportune times.

He saw this design in his dreams a few times on various outfits he dreamt about soon after he left home, and it really seemed too practical to ignore. If he could master this design then he would be well on his way to making life easier for everyone.

One thing he always felt was that anything he invented would be made available to all so that it could help enrich their lives. He would do his best to make that happen and prevent others from hording them or getting rich off them if he could.

Tonight as he tiredly walked home lost in thought from the latest in a string of jobs he held over the previous 4 seasons since he left home, he decided that he would not visit Micah the weapons trainer for his nightly lesson tonight.

Every city that he visited, he stayed for a few months before he moved on, and he always tried to pick up something that would allow him to closer reach his goal of defeating the King from his homeland. If he could somehow form an army, no matter how small, he knew that he could take the kingdom! He had many ideas of how to make it work!

As he thought about that, he realized unless an army fell in his lap and trusted him it would never happen. Who would trust him as a total unknown? If he could ever get the chance, he might be able to build an army out of almost anyone.

Another problem though was his barely average use of weapons. Every city he went to he sought out someone to teach him something beyond the basics that he already knew so that he could master the sword.

It was futile though, because as hard as he tried to master his father's sword, he could not do it. He just could not get across that barrier to reach a point beyond average.

Oh, he was competent with it, and could defend himself in a pinch with the sword, but as Micah explained it, another master who checked his skill, his skills were so low that he would never defeat someone who was good with their weapons. He might have a chance if he could only catch them off guard.

It was discouraging to hear that, but Wolfgang would not give up.

This was his father's weapon and it was now his sword. It was the only thing he had to remember him by. Jason's father had always made the sword glisten in the morning sun throughout all their practices, something he was working hard to learn to do now.

Wolfgang was sure that with enough practice he would be able to use it as well as his father. Other things came so easily to him. Figuring out how to make his inventions from his dreams work and gaining the skills needed to design them more practically with items at hand was so, so easy but using a sword seemed to almost be beyond him.

As distracted as he was he did not even to notice the boy who was about half a head shorter than he was before he bumped into him.

Wolfgang finally noticed as the boy bounced off him and fell to the ground. Wolfgang apologized, right before the boy jumped up, flipped him off and he ran off in the opposite direction.

He could not help but notice the dirty face and appearance of the boy as he patted himself down as a reflexive action.

Common people were oppressed and hard up for a livelihood and thieving among themselves and anyone they could reach was still rampant as a form of life.

As he watched the boy flee, he quickly realized that the he had taken his wallet and was now running with it.

The money his father gave him, which he used as seed money, was safely hidden in his room. The only funds he tried to use as he traveled were the ones he made from the jobs he held while in a city.

As he left to travel to the next city, any funds he had left from his job experiences were merged with the money from his father, which at this point was becoming a tidy sum. He even went as far as to mix a little sand with the money to reduce the nice "clinking" noise that coins might make to alert others.

He was paid tonight as he left his job, and that was money that he had worked hard for. Therefore, without a second thought, Wolfgang broke out in pursuit of the pickpocket.

Wolfgang tried not to make any noise when he started the chase, but the pickpocket was alert. He started weaving in between buildings and going over walls. As he did so, Wolfgang was surprised how agile he was. At times, he almost lost sight of him he was so quick.

As the pickpocket went around his latest building, Wolfgang did not appear to follow him around it.

The previous week he did what he normally did when he first reached a city and that was to take time to explore the area he lived in. He wanted to be prepared for any surprises.

As such, he remembered there was a pit over the wall in the alley that the pickpocket just went over as Wolfgang continued around the opposite building. Since no outcry followed, he was sure the pickpocket was leading him into a trap. If that was not it, then there would soon be one to follow.

Running around the next building, he changed his tactics.

He stood where he could watch at the pickpocket as he peered around the corner of the other building as the pickpocket watched for him to go over the fence.

Wolfgang watched as the pickpocket quickly bent over to remove a board that he must have landed on when he went over the fence. One that had Wolfgang gone over the wall, would have missed, since it was no longer there, and landed him in the pit no matter how he tried to land.

Wolfgang was surprised by the thought and resourcefulness that went into to that little trap. Preparing for a chase and even setting up traps before hand was planning that would have made his father proud.

After the thief got tired of waiting for Wolfgang to cross the fence, he left. Wolfgang stood and quietly followed the pickpocket. He even got a chuckle before they left as the thief snuck back up to the fence, listened, and then peered over it to see if he was still about.

Feeling secure that he had lost Wolfgang at some point during the chase, the pickpocket made his way to a house that was very run down at the edge of the city in the poorest of neighborhoods.

Watching from the shadows, he saw the pickpocket go inside the house. Wolfgang waited for a bit, but no lights came on that he could see. He was sure that even as poor as they were they would have some form of a candlestone to light the house.

They were so inexpensive that everyone had one. It seemed to be the first spell that every newbie mage learned as an enchantment. All it took was any common stone and 30 seconds of their time.

After waiting a few minutes, Wolfgang finally made up his mind to risk going inside. He did not really want to because luck would be against him, as he would not know anything about the house or its layout. He could not allow this boy to take his hard-earned money either.

Just as he started for the door, he saw the side door open and the boy from earlier came out with a bucket in his hand. He was moving toward a small well that had been dug not that far from the house.

Quietly making his way around to that side, Wolfgang watched for awhile as the boy fished out a bucket of water, washed his face, and then put down the bucket as he seemed to be thinking for a moment. Suddenly Wolfgang sprinted and leaped for the boy while he was lost in thought.

He was planning to surprise the boy, because his back was to him, but at the last minute the boy turned and Wolfgang collided with him and they both went down in a tangle of arms and legs next to the well.

"Where is my money!" said Wolfgang as he came to rest on top of the boy.

Wolfgang was surprised. He, himself, was used to the harsh work on a farm and was sure the boy should have put up more of a fight than he did. He was also surprised that he was able to over power him so easily.

"What money! Get off me you prick!" said the boy, strangely.

When he spoke, it dawned on Wolfgang.

"You're a girl!" said Wolfgang in shock right before she pushed him off her while he was still confused.

Which was a good thing, because right at that moment a rock sailed through the air where his head used to be and struck the side of the well, and bounced off.

Looking back towards the house there had to be about twenty to twenty five people, a mixture of boys and girls, and none looked look very happy to see him there.

Wolfgang estimated that their ages ranged from fifteen to eighteen if he was to guess. Getting up off the young woman Wolfgang looked back at them in shock.

"So I didn't lose you after all huh? I thought it seemed too easy," said the young girl annoyed as she dusted off her clothes.

"What are you all doing here? Where are you parents?" asked Wolfgang.

"We don't have any and we don't need you wanting to be one," said the young girl with a fierce look in her eyes.

"Hey look you robbed me, I didn't come here with the hoping to change your lives on my own," smiled Wolfgang.

"Besides, if you wanted a date that badly, there were obviously easier ways to do it than knocking me down and making me come to your house to ask you out," said Wolfgang as he looked back at the young girl.

Shocked the girl started at him as a couple of boys in the group laughed aloud before they realized it.

"WHAT! WHAT DID YOU SAY!..." started the girl blushing profusely as the laugher became even louder by her actions.

"I'm not really sure if you entertain all your dates in the side yard, but at least let me come inside and meet the family," said Wolfgang as he started for the side door.

The shocked group of people stared at him as he casually started for the door and then went inside.

At first, they stood and stared until one got the idea that he might mess with their stuff and then they all sprinted for the door.

Inside the place was organized, but it was obvious they were poor. There was not any furniture beyond crates, and they were using them for everything from chairs to tables, with straw as cushioning.

When Wolfgang got inside, he realized why he had not seen a light from the front of the house. The house's layout and the coarse sacks nailed to the windows caused almost no light penetrated the darkness.

Everyone seemed to be following him and filed quickly inside. The young girl pushed her way to the front and frowned at him as she took notice of him reclining in one of the makeshift chairs.

Wolfgang took stock of the young girl.

She was a half head shorter than he was, she had brown hair, but it was cut short similar to how a boy might wear it.

He couldn't get a good look before in the low light, but now he could see her bright blue eyes and couldn't miss the puckered lips. She had washed her face at the well so he could now see that she was lightly freckled as well. He knew that he found her in all ways, very pretty.

"Get out of our house!" said the girl menacingly.

"After you went through so much to invite me here? I mean I doubt you go around reaching inside just any man's clothes, all while feeling him up mind you, just before you bring him back your house," said Wolfgang with a smile. "That was a blatant and direct invitation to visit if I've ever felt one before."

As one, everyone turned too looked at the girl as she fiercely blushed.

"Beth, did you really feel him up?" asked another younger girl quietly.

"Don't use my name Tammy, and no I didn't!" said Beth glaring at Wolfgang.

Wolfgang chuckled inside as he realized that Beth just gave way Tammy's name in her rush to protect her own.

"What do you want?" asked one of the older boys as he stared at Wolfgang. He was trying to be menacing as well, but it was clear he was not used to playing the part.

"Nothing much, I'm just visiting all the neighborhoods, its part of a youth outreach program I'm running. I would just like to see how my money is being spent. I have to say I would have thought that you guys would have used it to at least buy ponies for the younger children," smiled Wolfgang.

As everyone stared at him as if he were crazy, Beth asked, "What are you going on about? Are you mad?"

"No, but I am interested in why you all are here. Don't worry, I don't have any intentions of telling anyone. Or else I would have done so when I found out where you lived. I'm just curious why you are here," said Wolfgang.

They still stood and stared at him, another girl looked upset as she remarked, "Like we would trust you. You don't look rich enough to be giving away money. You have to want your money back, but you've not asked for it, so what are you really here for? What game are you playing? We won't be blackmailed."

"<Sigh> You're right. Let me tell you something about myself," said Wolfgang as he sadly looked at them


"You don't have to believe me, but after my father was killed I had nothing to keep me there so I'm traveling," said Wolfgang.

While he had been speaking, the teens had taken various spots around the room and sat down.

They had not meant too, but something in Wolfgang's eyes, his speech, and his mannerisms set them at ease. Before they realized it, they found themselves trusting him. In that single meeting they appeared to warm to him.

"Why is that King out for your blood? Why does he want you dead? What did your family do to him?" asked a blonde haired girl. She was plain, but had a very pretty smile.

"From what I gathered he wanted to turn all the women in the kingdom into his personal whores and my mother resisted, so he had her killed," said Wolfgang frowning.

"Wow, that's some story, how do we know it's true?" asked Beth skeptically.

While she asked her question, Wolfgang had the feeling she was reaching out to him. Then almost as if she realized what she was doing, he felt her grow colder toward him.

"I could be lying, but if I was I would have a better story for you all. My dad always said that I had a good imagination, but I doubt I could make up that story," smiled Wolfgang before he chuckled.

That seemed to break the mood and everyone chuckled with him.

"What is everyone's story? Why are you all here?" asked Wolfgang.

Everyone was looking around the room, unsure who should speak first, right before Beth spoke.

"Everyone here has a different story, but everyone has had something tragic happen to them and we all just gravitated to each other for safety," smiled Beth at Wolfgang. As if she had suddenly found herself thinking about what she just said, she frowned at him.

"Is that why you go out dressed as a boy? You know you won't get many dates that way," said Wolfgang smiling.

Scowling Beth answered, "Yes most of the men expect me to earn any money on my back because I don't have a family, money, or a trade to work with."

"So you feel it's up to you to lighten the pockets of people passing through the city," continued Wolfgang smiling

When he said this, he noticed that everyone was trying to avoiding his eyes.

"So they are all pickpockets. I bet they know a lot about the city, " thought Wolfgang.

"Tell you all what, it's getting late and I need to go to bed, but as you all are the only ones I really know in the city, would it be ok if I visit tomorrow night as well?" asked Wolfgang.

"Why would you want to spend time with us?" asked Beth again looking skeptically at his request.

"You guys are interesting and I bet you know more about what goes on around here than anyone else. Besides you are all close to my age," smiled Wolfgang at Beth.

Beth blushed as everyone stared at them. They were shocked as normally Beth hated male attention, but she seemed to have warmed up to this one.

As if reading their minds, Beth scowled at Wolfgang and said, "Suit yourself, but don't be surprised if we're not here when you come back."

"I'll take that chance. Though I think I would enjoy all of your company if you are still here," smiled Wolfgang.

Then he excused himself and called it a night.

Later after he had left, Peter, one of the boys turned to Beth and asked, "Is this ok? He seems like a nice guy and never once asked about getting his money back or what we did with it."

"Well, let's play it by ear and see. Check the tunnel in the cellar to make sure that we have a way out incase this all goes pear shaped," said Beth as she headed for one of the rooms the girls shared together.


After the first couple of visits, the teens still did not really appear at all trusting of Wolfgang.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.