Displacement - Cover

Displacement

Copyright© 2010 by dak

Chapter 5

Jenny

Jimmy had fallen asleep waiting to get discharged

I was beginning to notice a strain when we were both up and thinking at the same time, and it was something I would have to keep an eye on. It seemed to be very fatiguing to us.

I was currently wandering the isles of CompUSA with Doctor Conners, or mom following behind, which seemed odd. I was pushing a cart and grabbing whatever I needed.

"I forgot how much I missed this place," I absently said.

"Jimmy, when have you ever been to here?" Mom asked, with a funny look on her face.

"Oh, um, I mean I could grow to like this place, just got confused there for a second," I said, trying to coverup my accidental statement.

She looked at me with some confusion, but seemed to write it off to my head injury. I could see, though, that she filed it away for later.

"Jimmy, you have never had much interest in computers, before. What brought this on?" she asked.

"Um, well, when I was in the hospital I had time to think," I replied.

I spotted a wacom tablet that I wanted but, as I grabbed it and looked the cart over, I realized this might get expensive. I had already picked out extra memory, a graphics card and the tablet, as well several tools.

"Um, Mom, I haven't been keeping track of the cost, is this going to be okay?" I asked, looking up at her, trying to give her the same puppy dog eyes I had used on my stepmother in my own time.

She smiled at me.

"Jimmy, it's okay - I have enough money, don't worry about it. I am just happy to see you take an interest in something. Get what ever you need, honey."

"Oh, wow, thanks mom!" I said, quickly deciding to hit the processors and motherboards, too.

I found a server board with dual processor slots, and then I picked out the appropriate processors. I had to put back the memory I had just picked up and get the matching ones I would need. When it was all done I was shocked at the bill, but Jimmy's mom didn't even flinch. She just put it on her Amex.

"Jimmy, are you sure you know what all this stuff does?" she asked as she was putting the bags into the trunk of her car. It was a 7 series black BMW.

"Sure, Mom. I was afraid the current configuration of my computer wouldn't be up to what I need it to do, so the dual processor configuration will help that a lot, and with the memory and graphics card I should be able to cannibalize the current system to get it to where I need," I said, absently.

The silence clued me in to my mistake. I looked up at her and saw she was frowning down at me.

"Jimmy, where did you learn all that?" she asked, apparently in shock.

I frowned, thinking quickly.

"Mom, I may not have shown it, but I'm always listening, I ... I just never put it all together before," I said on the fly.

She nodded slowly.

"Okay, honey, just let me know if you feel odd or anything." She sounded unsure.

"Of course, Mom." I made a quick decision and hugged her.

She gripped me rather firmly, and I thought I heard her sniffle.

"I'm gonna be okay, Mom, I've never felt this clear before," I said as I hugged her.

She sniffed some more, and didn't release me.

"I love you, Jimmy. This is a miracle!"

"I love you too, Mom."

She smiled down at me and let me go, so I went around and got into the passenger seat. I buckled in as she got in, too, and heard a mental yawn.

"What's going on, Jenny?" Jimmy asked.

"Nothing much - we just left CompUSA," I answered.

"Oh. What did we get?"

"About $1200 in computer supplies."

"OH MY GOD! What? Why?! I don't have that much allowance, how did we pay? Oh, God!"

I could feel Jimmy awakening fully, as he started to wrestle control from me.

"Jimmy, relax, your mom was really happy about all of it, its okay, trust me." I said, as he took control again.

"Still, you should have asked me first." Jimmy said.

"I'm sorry, Jimmy, she was just so happy I got carried away.".

"Its okay, Jenny, just please ask next time."

We both got startled by his Mom shaking us, and Jimmy was first to recover.

Jimmy

I was freaking out about the money, but Jenny seemed sure it was okay, so I was just starting to accept it when Mom started to shake me.

"Sorry, Mom, I was lost in thought," I said.

"Are you okay, Jimmy? You wouldn't answer me, and you looked lost for a moment," she said, with evident concern.

"Yes, Mom. I was just thinking about the computer stuff," I said.

"Well, okay. I was just asking you why you needed all that stuff. I mean, why do you want your computer to be more powerful?" Mom asked.

"Oh, ummm," I said.

"Tell her it's to run CAD Programs," Jenny said.

"It's to run Cad programs, Mom."

"Whats a cad program?" Mom asked.

"You want me to handle this?" Jenny asked.

"Yes, please." I answered.

I felt my mouth move without my control, and it was a really strange feeling. I could still move, but my mouth was working all on its own. Jenny had taken control of that part of me, and my eyes widened as I looked around as she talked for me.

"It's a design program to make things, for drafting," my mouth said on its own.

"Oh. Like for architecture?" my Mom asked.

"Yes and no. I can use them for that, but I want to do mechanical drawings. I ... I have some ideas I want to draw." Again my mouth moved all by itself.

"Like what, honey?" Mom asked.

"While I was in the hospital, I saw on the tv how they use magnets in science. I think it was on the Discovery Channel, and, well, I think I have an idea for something," my mouth said again.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.