The Tree House - Book 1 - Cover

The Tree House - Book 1

Copyright© 2010 by AJ Martin

Chapter 2

“Michael, are you up in that old Tree House again?” I could hear my mother saying as I lay there tightly hugged against Lindie.

“Yes, Mom. I’m up here,” I yelled back as I lifted my head up and leaned over my best friend ever, to answer my mom. Lindie, giggled softly. I’m sure it was because we were sort of nude and what if my mom decided to come up?

My mom called up, “Breakfast is ready. Hurry up or it will get cold.”

I yelled back, “OK. I’ll be right down.”

I waited for another response. None came. When I leaned over to the climbing hole, I could see her back retreating toward the house.

Smiling at Lindie, I asked her if she had eaten yet. With a shake of her head I told her, “Come on, let’s go eat.”

When I strode into the kitchen a little while later, I had my two hands behind my back, concealing Lindie and holding onto her hands.

Turning her head from facing the stove as she scraped bacon from the griddle onto a serving platter, my mom looked askance at me and then a raised eyebrow saying, “You look like the cat who just caught the canary with that huge smile you have on your face. I’d not be the least bit surprised if you were dusted with feathers from that grin you have.”

Pausing for a moment, she looked at me. Then proving that you can never outwit your mom, she added, “And where’s Belinda?”

Peeking around me Lindie said, “Hi, Mrs. Trainor.”

“Belinda, don’t think I didn’t see you scampering up that tree to the rickety house up there real early this morning,” she said with that knowing smile of hers.

I glanced down at that beautiful face smiling up at me from just above my hip. She giggled at me and I pulled Lindie forward, under my right shoulder. I kept hold of her right hand in mine all the time. I really didn’t want to let go.

“Well, Belinda,” my mom said, “I’m glad you and Michael got to see each other. I don’t remember a time lately when he’s had such a great smile on his face.”

Bight crimson flowed over my face and I’m sure Lindie’s too when my mom winked at us both proving she knew more than she was ever going to let on that she knew. It’s hard to put anything over on a mom. It’s in their genes.

Lindie giggled and demurely put her left hand over her mouth.

“Yes, mom,” I said. “It is great to see my old friend again. She always made me happy when we were kids.”

Then my mom commented, “It sure looks like she’s made you happy today,” again giving out that knowing smile mom’s seem to always have at the ready. Turning back to the stove, my mom continued to put the rest of the bacon and sausages she had cooked onto the platter.

I looked over at the table and of course, there were THREE places set. Mom’s! They know everything.

I nodded to the table and after she glanced where I had signaled, Lindie squeezed my hand and smiled broadly at me.

“Coffee?” I asked Lindie and she said, “Sure.”

I finally let go of Lindie and she moved over to sit at the table. I grabbed the coffee-maker pot and filled the cups on the table with the steaming fresh brew mom had made. Creamer and sugar were already there, waiting for us.

Lindie exclaimed, “Hazelnut,” after a sniff of her cup.”

“My favorite,” I commented.

Looking up from her cup, Lindie added, “Mine too,” with smile toward me.

Finally sitting down at the table with a platter of pancakes to go along with the bacon and sausages, my mom got her matchmaking going. “Seems like you two have a lot of likes together,” she said, not ever seeming to have that know-it-all smile leave her face.

Lindie and I burst out laughing after we both answered, “Yes!” at the same time.

“Now that that’s settled,” my mom told us, “Eat!” and we passed the breakfast food around, family style as we all laughed. Then mom came right to the point. “Belinda, how long are you going to stay here in Rock Creek?”

“Well, the house is free and clear,” she answered. “All I have to do is pay the taxes and the utilities. I’m looking for a job right now so I guess I’ll be here for a while.” Lindie answered.

“That sounds nice,” my mom said. “It will be nice to have you living back here. Isn’t that great Michael?”

Moms know just how to light fires under their children. She got right to the point and put me on the spot. I knew her well, after all she was MY mom and I just knew where this conversation was going to lead ... and I loved it!

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.