Gordy's Problem - Cover

Gordy's Problem

Copyright© 2010 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 14

The rain had stopped overnight and at breakfast I agreed to take Patrick riding. Weena expressed maternal concern and I reassured. I had one of the work horses and an elderly gelding was saddled for Patrick. I sat him down and one of the men fussed about shortening the stirrups. We rode around the yard once and Patrick asked whether we could ride "out." We rode south for about ten minutes, then east and then back. The sun had brought out a very large number of colourful mushrooms, with which he was delighted.

"Don't go picking them," I warned him.

"Why?"

"Many fungi — mushrooms — are poisonous. Unless you're sure, you shouldn't even handle them."

"Oh."

"There's a copy of Young's Australian Fungi in the house. It's got lots of pictures. You could look and see whether you can identify those near the barn."

"Okay."

"But please don't touch any."

"Okay."

When we got back, I found my copy of Young and gave it to Patrick. It was just 10, so Weena and I packed Sarah into her capsule, Patrick onto the left seat, and we took off for our "family visit."

"Can I eat this?"

"What is it?"

"A sweet Gramps gave me. It says 'Gingerbons'."

"Right. It's both sweet and quite spicy. There's a ginger factory over in Yandina."

"Where's that?"

"Bit north and east of here. In from the coast. Try it. If you don't like it, put it back in the wrapper." He opened an end, took out the jelly-like sweet and put it in his mouth.

"I don't like it."

"Put it back in the wrapper."

"Now my mouth feels funny."

"It'll pass."

"Was that the right thing to do?" Weena asked.

"Absolutely. I told him it was sweet and spicy and that he didn't have to finish it. If he doesn't try things, how can he learn. Anyway, I told him not to eat something earlier."

"What?"

"The colourful mushrooms."

"I should hope not!" We turned into a drive and I parked, putting an end to whatever Weena was going to say.

Alice came out with an infant on her hip. She had put on some weight, but it looked good. Weena hoisted Sarah and they chatted for a moment. I couldn't make out anything. Jacky came to the door with a little boy.

"Hey, Jacky!" I said.

"Hey. Gordy, I want you to meet Gordy." He looked down. "Gordy, this is Gordy. I've wanted to say that for nearly five years."

"You're an idiot!"

"I know. Has Weena met little Weena?"

"I think so. That was a dirty trick."

"Yep." He punched me in the shoulder.

I squatted down. "Heya, Gordy."

"Hi."

"Are you going to school yet?"

"Nex' year. Mum's learnd me my letters."

"Taught you."

"Yeah."

"Have you been over to my Mum and Dad's?"

"Yeah. Big house."

"He's usually shy with strangers," Jacky put in.

"I understand. But we're not really strangers. We share a name, don't we?"

"Yeah."

I got up and walked over to Alice and Weena. "All acquainted?"

"Yes. I hope you don't mind, Gordy. Jacky insisted and I had no objection. Come inside."

"Patrick, did you say 'hello' to everyone?"

He shook his head and walked over to Gordy. "Hi. I'm Patrick. The other Gordy's my Dad. I was at your Mum and Dad's wedding. But I don't really remember it. I met the nungungi there."

"Hi." He looked at Patrick. "Wanna see my lamb?"

"Yeah." They wandered off towards the rear of the house. I looked at Jacky.

"We had a cade lamb and he's bottle fed it for six weeks. I'm not certain what we'll do in the long run."

"David had one when he was six. I don't remember it. He was broken up when Dad wanted to have it for Sunday dinner."

"Yes. But then, it's a good lesson." We followed the two — four — girls into the house.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.