Gordy's Problem - Cover

Gordy's Problem

Copyright© 2010 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 1

About two weeks before Christmas I received a thick report from Canberra. It was the decadal review of the EPBC Act. I resolved to actually read it by the time I got back to the office on the fourth.

The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) is the Australian Government's central piece of environmental legislation. Section 522A of the Act requires it to be reviewed every 10 years from its commencement. On 31 October 2008 the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts commissioned an independent review of the Act. The review, led by Dr Allan Hawke and supported by an expert panel, was undertaken during 2008—09. The department provided secretariat support for the review. The review assessed the operation of the EPBC Act and the extent to which its objectives have been achieved. The interim report was released in June 2009 and the final report will be presented to the minister in the latter half of 2009.

<sp>

Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts; Annual Report 2008—09

Christmas season was a mad house. My parents had shipped a ton of toys and clothes for Patrick and Sarah; Rob and Mary delivered a ute-load; the Evanses sent a scale model Mooney for Patrick; and, of course, the locals (like Chaz) had invaded. I was relieved to be at the office on Monday. But Tuesday brought another disruption.

"Look at this, Gordy!" Mona said as she came in.

"What is it?"

"A Platinum overnight from Canberra for you. I signed for it." [a kind of special delivery]

"I've never received one."

"Nor have I. It's got a Ministry seal on it. Should I open it?"

"No, I will. I've got an opener here somewhere." I found it and slit the pouch open. Inside was another envelope. "It's a puzzle. There's most likely yet another inside." But there wasn't. It was a single sheet of heavy paper with the seal at the top.

"What does it say?"

I read the text, then read it again. "I'm not sure. It seems to invite me to make comments. But that can't be it. You read it." I handed the sheet to Mona.

Effective March 1, 2010 you will assume the duties of CSIRO Liaison for the EPBC Act (Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts). As such your primary tasks will be:

a) coordinate Departmental activities with appropriate sections of the CSIRO;

b) resolve problems that occur in the course of commenting on the Hawke Report;

c) other duties as assigned by the Minister.

"A promotion, that's wonderful!"

"I don't think so. I feel like Banquo."

"Banquo?"

"In Macbeth. After Macbeth and Banquo encounter the witches on the heath, he says: 'Oftentimes, to win us to our harm/ the instruments of darkness tell us truths;/ Win us with honest trifles, to betray us/ In deepest consequence.' This may look good, but..."

"You're too suspicious."

"No. I don't think so. Let me call Weena and see what she thinks." Mona left and I phoned.

"Hi. Can I read you something?"

"Of course." I read the letter. "That's it?"

"Yes. I don't like it. I told Mona I felt like Banquo after the encounter with the witches."

"You don't want to be thane of Cawdor?"

"No. Nor a ministry liaison."

"Does it have a number?"

"Yes."

"Call Janice — she should understand the implications. Then call me back."

"Okay."

I called Janice and, after the required chit-chat, I read her the letter.

"Well," she said, "I'll be glad to have you around again."

"What?"

"Well, they'll be moving you back."

"It doesn't say that."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.