The Hillside - Cover

The Hillside

Copyright© 2010 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 11

Marnie cornered Jacob as they prepared for bed.

Ann and Susan were sharing a room to give the Powers and Juliette some privacy.

"What are we going to do about them?" she asked.

Jacob couldn't figure out who the "them" was. It was obvious on his face.

"Amos and Carmen seem like lovely people," she said. "But they are stuck living with what Juliette did. They can't even look at her without getting angry. And Juliette has no life out there. Everyone within 20 miles knows about her and the newcomers learn pretty quickly. I guess your friend Jim has been in a dozen fights over the past couple of months over things."

Jacob sat on the bed and stared at his wife.

"And what do you propose we do?" he asked. There was anger in his voice that Marnie wasn't used to.

She hoped her smile would ease things.

"Well, I thought about it," she said. "You've opened a rest home for reformed gunslingers. I think you got 9 or 10 of them here. You brought them in for protection but I know the other reason behind it. You want to give them a chance to get away from that — to find a way to live that might not end in their early death. That's the only reason I didn't fight it harder — but a couple of those boys have to go. I don't care what you say. Either they are gone by the end of the month or I'll use them for rifle practice."

Jacob smiled but his eyes were still a bit cold.

"So," Marnie continued. "I thought I could bring in another wayward woman who has made a mistake or two in her life. Juliette said she can cook and you've been riding me to hire one. So I want to hire her. She has some money. Jones' hands pretty much took his stock for what he owed them but there was some gold in his safe. But, it won't be enough for her to start somewhere else. We can let her stay here until she finds a way to get over what she has done."

"And Susan and Ann use her for rifle practice," Jacob said. "I guarantee you that those two are plotting how to get rid of her body right now."

Marnie giggled.

"Oh, I doubt that," she said. "I'm well aware of their plots. Don't you worry about them. I figured out how to keep them in line."

"Well fill me in on it, will you?" Jacob asked. "Hell, I had to learn from Joe that Susan has become a crack rifle shot. And she and Ann seem thick as thieves now that Susan is riding."

Marnie smiled warmly and patted Jacob's arm.

"Oh, I'll fill you in on what you need to know," she said. "For right now let them have their secrets. They both want you to be proud of them. I think Susan is planning on demonstrating her rifle skills in a couple of days — and I'll make sure it isn't on Juliette's backside. Ann is trying to show you how grown up she is by being nice to Susan."

"Well, that part is working," Jacob answered. "I'm pleased as hell about how she's been acting."

"You should make sure you tell her that," Marnie prompted. "I saw what you did when you gave Susan her horse. I saw that you made sure Ann knew you weren't playing favorites and that there was a reason behind what you were doing."

Jacob shrugged.

"Or maybe you just wanted a couple of kisses," Marnie teased. "I can never tell with you."

She put her head on his shoulder.

"The Powers want to be on the road day after tomorrow," she said. "I believe all of Juliette's belongings are in the coach. Just think about it tomorrow."

She paused for a moment.

"Jacob, just like you, she really has no other place to go," she added. "She was a stupid girl who did a stupid thing and she hurt you. But I think you're happy. Doesn't she deserve that?"


It was after supper the next day that Jacob and Marnie pulled the Powerses aside.

"Juliette, we'd like you to stay here for a while," Marnie said without preamble.

Juliette looked shocked — as did Amos and Carmen.

"Jacob, that ain't why we stopped," Amos said. "She ain't your problem. She's our problem."

"Down here she won't be anyone's problem," Jacob replied. "Down here she is just another widow whose wayward husband met a bad fate."

Carmen had tears in her eyes when she turned to her daughter.

"You gave this up," she said angrily. "You left him and still he cares enough about your family to help us out."

Marnie gently put her arm around Juliette.

"You'll have to work here," she said — ignoring Carmen's outburst. "You'll be the cook here and you'll have to help the rest of us around the house. Does that sound OK to you?"

Juliette nodded and mumbled her thanks. Then she collapsed in tears in Marnie's arms.

Jacob, Amos and Carmen stood by uncomfortably.

"It seems like the best solution for everyone," Jacob said. "Amos, I know your family won't help her out. Carmen, your family might but it's a long way there. She's already here. You got all of her stuff with you. Hell, tell everyone that Jones took her back. That he just got delayed in getting back there."

"Tell them to go to hell," Marnie said over Juliette's shoulder. "You can certainly tell them that from me."

"From me, too," Juliette said. She lifted her head off Marnie's shoulder for a moment. "Jacob, Marnie, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. I'll do whatever I can to help out here."

"You damned sure will, girl," Amos answered. "Because if they take you in then this is the only home you have. I let you come back because you didn't have no place else to go. Now that you do, I wash my hands of you."

Jacob held up his hand.

"Now, Amos," he said. "Don't say something you can't take back. Isn't that what you always used to say to me?"

Amos shifted his gaze to Jacob and he nodded his head slightly.

"Besides, Juliette will be quite the catch down here," Jacob said. "She'll land a new husband in no time if she wants one. And you know Marnie won't let it be someone that you wouldn't like."

"I don't know," Marnie said. "Look at my first husband."

"But look at your second one," Juliette said.

"True," Marnie answered. "It's a definite step up. I can't wait to see what my third one will be like."

Carmen looked scandalized.

"She's joking, Carmen," Amos said. "Remember what you told me last night."

Carmen smiled.

"She told me that Jacob sure found someone to treat him good," Amos said.

"Will Susan and Ann be a problem?" Carmen asked.

"If they're a problem they'll be problems with sore asses," Jacob answered. "Marnie runs a pretty tight ship."

"They'll be fine," Marnie assured everyone. "Susan and Ann both know a thing or two about making mistakes. They're both lucky that Jacob gave each of them a second chance. He didn't have to do it for them just like we don't have to do it for Juliette. But we will and we'll all make the best of it."


The Powers family rode off the next morning. Their carriage was emptier than it was when they came in. At least Amos had allowed Juliette to keep her horse. But horse, clothing and a few gold coins that Jones had stashed away was all she brought.

Ann and Susan were not pleased at the new house member. If Jacob was honest with himself he would admit that he was no happier than those two about it.

But Marnie had her mind made up. Jacob had concluded there wasn't any way for him to change it. He might have succeeded in keeping Juliette from living there but Marnie would still believe she should.

Inevitably he would give in to her — because that was how it was. If Marnie — or Susan or Ann — really wanted something, Jacob made sure they got it. Marnie wanted to make sure Juliette got a second chance at happiness. So it was going to happen in one way or another. At least Jacob didn't have to ride to Colorado to collect her.

But it didn't mean he had to be happy about.

Still, Jacob knew he had very little to be unhappy about. A couple of times a day he would turn around to find Marnie staring at him with such of look of adoration that it made him wonder.

Of course, Marnie caught him looking at her the same way.

Juliette was a pretty good cook. Marnie was helping her out but not much.

Susan and Ann mostly ignored Juliette. Marnie insisted that Juliette dine with them. She refused to treat her in any fashion other than a full member of the family.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.