The Hillside - Cover

The Hillside

Copyright© 2010 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 9

The Dunleavy family started back to the Double-M that morning. The trip in reverse was as uneventful as the way down. This section of road was lightly traveled and didn't seem to sprout highwaymen the way the stagecoach lines did. The biggest threat was from Indians but the Calvary had pretty much pushed the hostile ones farther west.

The family made it only 25 miles before stopping for the night. Marnie and Susan slept beneath the buckboard while Jacob sat and napped nearby. He had picked a spot that was well hidden and he had made sure to erase their back trail in case anyone was following at a distance.

Marnie would have preferred to cuddle up with Jacob but she knew Susan needed her close by. Marnie had expected her niece to be sullen — as she had acted for most of her time at the Double-M — but instead Susan seemed happy. It made it much easier for Marnie to revel in her own happiness.

The next morning brought an even bigger surprise for Marnie.

"Uncle Jacob?" Susan asked as they prepared to head out. "I think if I'm going to help with the ranch work I need to learn to ride better. Do you think you could teach me today?"

Jacob looked at Marnie who simply smiled.

"I think we can," he said. He was preparing to saddle his horse, Red, but figured it would be easier to go bareback so he tossed the saddle on the buckboard.

"Marnie, that means you gotta drive the team," he said. "Is that all right?"

She nodded and kissed him. Somehow she knew if she said no the riding lesson would wait.

"That's fine," she answered. Jacob set a blanket across Red's back then climbed up on the wagon and set up a makeshift seat for Marnie.

"I should have thought of this yesterday," he said to Susan. "I'm sure your behind would have appreciated the padding."

When Marnie sat down on the rolls of blankets it put her a little higher than she was used to but the added cushion would be appreciated.

She had expected Jacob to ride her horse but instead he hooked a trail rope around its neck and hooked it to the wagon.

"It'll be easier to teach you if we ride double," he said. "Ol' Red has done it a few times but I'm not sure if Paco has."

Paco was the roan that Marnie had selected as her primary steed.

He gave Susan a boost up and handed her the reins.

"Keep him steady until I get on," he told her then led the horse and its novice rider to a nearby rock where he climbed aboard behind Susan.

Susan tried to hand him the reins back but Jacob told her to keep them.

"You're the rider," he said. "I'm just the cargo. Now listen, there are a couple things about Red you need to know before we get going. He likes to run so we got to keep him from getting too far ahead. I used him for cutting steers so you can guide him pretty well with your knees. Just put a little pressure on the side you want him to turn but hold on. If you press too hard he's gonna turn hard. Be careful with the reins. I don't ever hit him with them. He don't like it and he gets feisty if he gets angry — like your Aunt Marnie."

Both Susan and Marnie chuckled.

"And like you," he added. "Must run in the family. When you want to go, just give him a cluck with your tongue."

He waited until Susan gave the cluck and Red started to move. Susan directed him pretty well with her knees back to the buckboard.

"Now when it's time to stop just give a gentle tug on the reins," Jacob said. "If you pull too hard he's gonna stop sudden whether you're ready to stop that fast or not. And if you're not ready you're gonna land on your head or on your backside. Just pull up easy and Red will slow down easy. If you tried to get him to turn with your knees and he won't just give a slight tug on the reins in the direction you want to go. Remember, the harder you tug the faster he's gonna turn."

Susan pulled slightly on the reins and Red slowed to a stop beside Marnie.

"That's real good, Susan," Jacob said. "Do you know how the bit inside the horse's mouth works?"

Susan shook her head.

"Well, it's like a pole at the back of his mouth," Jacob continued. "When you pull the reins it puts pressure on it and it bites into his cheeks. The harder you pull the more it hurts. The more it hurts the quicker he does what he thinks you want him to do so it won't hurt no more."

"Like when you paddled my behind," Susan said with a smile.

"I reckon," Jacob mumbled. He was blushing and embarrassed. "Just remember that the harder you tug the more it hurts the horse. Now Red and me have been together for a long time. I try not to hurt him and he tries not to hurt me. You just be careful of his feelings and you and he will get along just fine."

Susan and Jacob rode ahead of the buckboard to look for any trouble that might be lurking. Every 20 minutes or so they would drop back behind Marnie to make sure bandits or Indians weren't following.

Jacob was almost positive that there was no one waiting for them or trailing them or he wouldn't have allowed Susan to come with him. But she didn't know it and she kept a constant watch for anything out the ordinary.

While she was doing it she got a refresher course on riding. She was smiling and pleased with herself when Jacob and Marnie each praised how well she was doing.

After a break for a quick lunch Jacob told her she was going to ride solo for the rest of the trip back to the Double-M.

"Really?" she asked excitedly. "You think I can?"

Jacob nodded.

"You done real good, Susan," he answered. "Real good. You and Red are like good friends now."

Susan had spent much of the time after lunch fussing over the horse — making sure the bridle wasn't too tight, checking the bit in his mouth, making sure he had water and grass to graze.

"Yep," Jacob said. "I'm going to ride in the wagon and take a nap."

He rode in the wagon but Marnie made sure he didn't sleep. He also kept a close eye on Susan. Red was a gentle horse but anything was possible and he wanted to be ready if something should happen.

"She picked that up pretty quick," Marnie said when Susan was out of earshot. "You must be a pretty good teacher."

"I think she's done some riding," Jacob answered. "The reason we rode Red instead of Paco is because he's smaller. I got the impression that your brother had her ride some animals that weren't all that gentle and it scared her."

He paused for a moment.

"I also got the impression that your brother wasn't the most patient of men," he added.

Marnie slid closer to him.

"He is an ass," she said. "I got to his house and told him what was going on. He was interested in getting something for her. It was like she was nothing but a piece of livestock. He's going to be mighty upset when he gets to town tomorrow and finds out there is no wedding — and no money or stock."

"Just hope he don't spend what he ain't gonna get," Jacob answered. "And just hope he doesn't show up at the Double-M expecting to take Susan back."

"Oh, Jacob," Marnie exclaimed. "Do you think he might?"

Jacob shrugged his shoulders.

"You know him better than I do," he answered. "I don't even know if he could find the Double-M. But if he comes, we'll deal with it. There is no use in borrowing trouble."

Marnie slid even closer to Jacob. She had to use both hands to keep the long reins under control or she would have taken his hand.

"That's the way you think of a lot of things, isn't it?" she answered. "You're not going to let something that might not ever happen lay claim to your life. That's why you built the farm up even though some card sharp might show up for it someday."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.