The Outsider - Cover

The Outsider

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

Chapter 13

I nodded when I thought it appropriate as I felt too inadequate to comment. Anita was telling me all about her time in Australia. She mentioned places I'd only heard of, or at best, seen on the television. She worked the stories as if she were a professional narrator for an Australian documentary, like the rancher somewhere in Northern Territories who assumed that she knew his friend in England because they lived only thirty miles apart. To him that was your next door neighbour and he couldn't comprehend the hundred thousand people who lived in those thirty miles. She explained to me farms the size of countries, of the myriad of snakes and spiders, many of which were deadly, that were found everywhere, even in the suburbs of their great cities.

She seemed to love the place so much I asked, perhaps a little too sharply. "How come you didn't stay there?"

She looked at me strangely, obviously picking up on my unsympathetic tone. "Various reasons, apart from Malcolm, but probably because I'd had enough. Australia is a great country ... to visit but not to live there, at least for me. I know there are are loads of Brits that emigrate but you'd be surprised at how many return after just a couple of years."

I nodded. "Sorry Anita for sounding a bit offish but you sounded as if you didn't want to be here."

She smiled. "Here in England or here with you?"

"To be honest, both." I replied.

"My turn to apologise. I'm glad to be back in this country and I'm really happy to be with you. It's just that I always ramble on when I'm nervous, and Australia seemed a neutral topic."

"I certainly don't recall you as being the nervous type and I can't see you you need to be."

"I no longer have that teenage belief in my infallibility. I've wondered about you for years, especially at the low points and now I'm here with you again ... of course I'm nervous. Aren't you?"

I thought for a moment as I realised that surprisingly, I wasn't. "No. I was earlier, when I asked you out but once you agreed the nerves just dissipated. I must admit to feeling a little disappointed when you went on about your exploits on the other side of the world. The furthest I've ever been is Scotland. I've never even been in a plane or on a ship. I'm not sure whether you consider me a little ... insular..." I hesitated trying to think of the right word but ended up with the not quite right "unsophisticated."

"No, I don't think that David. I just talk to much at times and I didn't know what else to talk about. Honestly! It must have sounded like a monologue. " She said with what seemed genuine feeling.

We talked a bit more about my marriage and my time with Stephanie as well as her ex-boyfriend. Anita moaned about him wanting to control her life, tell her who she could talk to and what she could and couldn't do. In the end it got too much for her and they split up.

After that we both relaxed and started to enjoy the evening, at least until I went to the bar for some more drinks. After waiting a rather long time whilst the barmaids discussed the previous evening's television, I finally got the drinks and headed back to our table. I was not amused when I saw that another man had taken my seat and was talking to Anita. Trying to hold my temper I asked the man, who was maybe a year or so younger than me, to move. He turned to check me out before ignoring my request.

"This your boyfriend then?" He asked Anita.

I did not like her smile nor her reply. "No. He's just a friend."

Politely as I could manage I asked him again to move. This time he didn't even acknowledge my presence.

"Tell him to get lost then."

Anita turned to me and said. "David, why don't you pull up a chair and join us."

'Join THEM' I thought, 'isn't she supposed to be with me!'

"Don't bother Dave!" smirked the guy, putting the emphasis on the diminutive of my name. "Why don't you head home. I'll look after the lady here." He then turned to Anita and added. "That's right love?"

Before Anita could reply I slowly poured both drinks over his head and then stood back waiting. He jumped up and turned to face me with a snarl on his beer soaked face. I was fuming, this was too much like what had happened with Stephanie and this guy, if he made one wrong move, was going to be the recipient of a lot of pent up anger and frustration. I saw Gary McCormick and his attitude in this man and I was not prepared to walk away again.

"If you want to walk out of here then I suggest you do so now." I said quietly.

For a moment I thought and if the truth be known, hoped that he was going to attack me. Whether he was just all bravado or maybe he saw something in my eyes but he hesitated before turning to Anita. "You're not worth the hassle." He snarled and walked swiftly away.

Realising I was still holding the empty glasses I put them down. I looked at the very stunned young woman sitting opposite. "I'm going. Do you want to come with me or chase after Casanova?"

"With you I suppose." She finally whispered, although I could hear anger in her voice.

The walk back was done in complete silence and with my eyes, at least, looking straight ahead. My anger had hardly abated so I didn't want to say anything in case I regretted it later. Anita, I think, was still a little shocked and angry herself to start any conversation. I accompanied her to her grandmother's door where I finally spoke.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.