The Outsider - Cover

The Outsider

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

Chapter 8

Using her mother's third eye, Mum asked me what had happened when I called around my parent's house on Sunday evening. I didn't even bother trying to hide anything and just told her what had happened at the race meeting. After enquiring how Anita and Susan were getting on she quizzed me about Stephanie. Being amused at my clumsiness around women was nothing new to Mum, so I just grinned and told the story of how I'd found a new girlfriend or being more precise, being found by a new girlfriend. Mum commented on the similarity between this time and when I first met Anita and laughed when I told her I'd already come to the same conclusion. She went on to express concerns at trying to live through a long-distant relationship but seemed pleased when I told her that Stephanie wanted to move up to Stoke, but not too happy when she found out why. She also brought up a point that I hadn't thought about. Where would Stephanie live up here. My mother was adamant that she would not be staying with me, irrespective of me having a spare room.

"That might well happen sooner or later, but it might put undue pressure on her if you are her landlord as well as her boyfriend."

"But Mum, you know I would never do anything like that." I complained.

"Yes Son, I do know that, but its not the pressure you actually put on her but the perceived pressure she may feel."

"Anyway I've made my mind up. If she does come up then she can stay here in your old room. It'll do me and your Dad good to have young blood around again, though I'll have to ensure he doesn't spoil her rotten. You know how he's always wanted a daughter."

Actually I didn't know but made no attempt to correct her. When I thought about it, it was by far to soon for Steph to even contemplate moving in with me, even as just a lodger, but I could easily see her loving being with my parents.

"Never mind Dad!" I laughed. "You wouldn't say no to a daughter."

I knew that neither of my parents had ever gotten close to Barbara and they were not much better with Ann, my brother's wife.

That Monday I made time to call in to see Sheila Partridge who ran the firm's Personnel Department to mention Stephanie's interest. Because, as with most non-production departments, I had worked in Personnel it was relatively easy for me to get to see Sheila. She said they were always looking for good young people and a girl would be an added bonus as not too many went into the engineering or draughting departments. I promised to drop the CV in as soon as I got it.

Two days later I was back to see Sheila with Stephanie's CV. An hour after I'd left Personnel I got a call from Sheila saying that she intended to ask Stephanie up for an interview and did I want to let her know first. I said that I planned to see her that evening so I was asked to personally deliver the invitation.

It was only then that I actually thought about my first proper date and became very nervous about it, not so much about spending time with Stephanie, but meeting her mother and maybe her boyfriend. It was the latter that concerned me most. Would I be able to hold my temper if he said something improper or even hinted at it. Needless to say I was my usual efficient self that afternoon. Steve, who despite my own promotions was still my boss, had heard about the girls at the race meeting and he had joined in the gentle ribbing but he was happy enough to let me leave a couple of hours early to drive down, especially as he was aware I always put in more than the standard forty hours. I could have just about managed the trip leaving work on time but those extra couple of hours gave me time to go home, get changed and have a relaxing drive down to Stephanie's.

Traffic was relatively quiet and driving steadily I covered the sixty-four miles in a little short of two hours. It was just before seven o'clock when I pulled up outside Stephanie's home. I reached for the chocolates and flowers I'd bought and headed nervously to the front door. I hoped that Stephanie would be the one to open the door but it was not to be. A man in his forties greeted me, if his sour face and gruff voice could actually be classed as a greeting.

"What do you want?" He almost snarled.

"I'm here to see Stephanie." I replied as politely as I could manage.

"She's not available." He stated, trying to look menacing.

"Oh yes I am." I heard her call from behind him.

The man turned and this time really snarled as he said. "And I'm telling you you're not you little slut. Now get back to your room."

I saw her start to push past him. "You're not my father, you don't even live here. You do not tell me what to do."

"You'll do what I say or you'll get the belt that you deserve." he said raising his arm.

He had obviously forgotten about me momentarily and was taken by surprise when I dropped the flowers and chocolates before grabbing his arm and pulling him outside and to the ground.

"Touch her and it will be the last thing you ever do." I said quietly staring into his eyes.

He was too worked up or too stupid to see that I wasn't afraid. He thought because I was young and not muscular that I was an easy target for his beer fed bulk.

"Why you little bastard, I'll show you..." He mouthed as he started to get up.

I was angry that any man could treat a woman the way he was treating Stephanie and whilst I was confident that I could beat him in a fair fight he may have caused me some injury in doing so. With that in mind I had no intention of letting him get to his feet. Using the heel of my hand I hit his forehead with enough force to knock him back down. I had been seriously tempted to hit his nose instead but knew that that could cause serious damage and I was still in enough control to know that was a risk not worth taking.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.