Masterbuilder
Chapter 10: Elise's Romp

Copyright© 2009 by White Zulu

After taking my leave from Alfred I took great pleasure in announcing to Elise that D-day had arrived. We would go to the island this very afternoon.

"Let us have some nice lunch here, parcel our goodies, send them off to the other side and be gone as well."

"Oh no, Berthold. I can't just go like this. I will have to make an appointment with my hairdresser. Sort out the clothing I want to take, the houseplants need to be taken care of, so many things to do. Will we have enough to eat and drink? I can't just leave like that, can I?"

"Elise, we will be gone from here for only five minutes. You do not need a haircut, the plants and the entire house will be fine. The food I can take care of right now, since you prepared everything. Clothing is not only casual all the way but also optional, only the two of us will be there. Why worry so much?"

"But they will be able to watch over us, won't they? It is easy for you to say 'Don't worry' now but I do remember your misgivings about Alfred only too well."

Again, women's complaints but valid, come to think. So I told her a little more about Alfred and Wilbur, the kind of bond the two shared and what I shared now as well.

"Better, kinder and friendlier people you will not find anywhere. Yes, I do know how difficult this must be for you. And while you may have doubts about many things, you should not for one moment doubt their integrity. Neither of them will snoop on us. Trust me at least."

Lunch was a very subdued affair. This, I realised, was no time for light banter. We ate in silence, I did not stop her from tidying up the kitchen and took her hand when she started to fret, wring the dishcloth and look about her furtively like a cornered hare.

"Come, love, let us change into our holiday gear. There is no need whatsoever for those dismal winter outfits. Too warm and restricting. Put on something summery comfortable, easy shoes, pack up your toiletries, don't forget some sun lotion, and let's be away."

However, Elise was unable to think and act straight. I had to guide her, help her gather a few things, sort out some appropriate clothing and in the end had to tell her that it wouldn't matter at all if we forgot something. I could always go back and pick it up.

She wailed again.

"You would leave me stranded at the island?"

"No, I will not leave you at all. We can both travel backwards and forwards as much as we like after we got you healthy as well. Come now, let's go. The island is waiting."

Of course I had to lock up the house completely, turn down the central heating, boost the fridge a notch, put the car into the garage. Silly things, really, but gladly done to calm her down. The computer was still running and ready, of course, and I let her watch as I sent our provisions on their way.

"Here you go, Elise. I shall put you down right at the top of our hill, outside the cave. See you there."

Before she could answer me, she was gone. My good intentions notwithstanding, I felt like a heel, just as if I had done away with her for real. To save her any more anxiety I made the jump after her right away.

"Hi, Elise, do you like our island?" Bewildered, she spun around and let me have it for surprising her.

"Damn you, Berthold. You scared me out of my wits. This moving business is so spooky, I will never get used to it. How anybody could think of doing something like this is beyond my understanding. But this ... your island is so lovely and look what Alfred and Wilbur have done."

Looking at the caves, Alfred's was to the left of the large, communal room, to the right was Wilbur's, and Sabreena's I suppose, with 'our' cave on the outside of the semi-circle. The guys had been very busy once more. At least I presumed that they had joined forces. A table and chairs were placed outside with a beautiful vase full of wild flowers, next to the entrance was a polished-brass shingle stating 'Doktor Eisenbart — Speed Healing — Consultations at all Hours and Places'. Alfred's doing obviously, along with a card which he had affixed to the closed netting, welcoming Elise to our place, not only in words but with a caricature of circus director Alfred Alfredino with just the outlines of three figures behind him, egghead Wilbur, Sabreena and Lexa, all displaying face-splitting grins and raised drinks.

Tears of joy were flooding Elise's eyes as she turned and hugged me, for once not able to utter a single word. I released her and opened the mesh screen, showing her the inside of the cave: the large bed, the easy chairs, books, lamps, a table, a few paintings even. The room itself was but a replica of our first effort at cave design. The kitchenette was there, rather basic, since we had the full kitchen now, as well as the recess for cooling food and drinks. The earthenware pitcher and two mugs took pride of place on the table and, yes, more of that incredibly delicious planter's punch. The island hosts at their very best. I missed them.

"Elise, let's store our things away quickly. We will have our drinks then and I will show you everything."

By now Elise was very happy with her comfortable clothing and together we took occupation of our home from home. Afterwards, as we sat under the shade trees I told her first about the ponds. Clean, fix and heal, in that order. Pointed to the 'gym' trees, lugged the telescope out and let her find the lake, the 'roos, ostriches and buck. She was totally enthralled when I took her up on top for a view of the whole island and even more so when we went down to the waterfall.

"Berthold, I have waited so long for this. Unable to believe that it could be real, always suspicious that you were having me on. But you have not exaggerated. What you guys have achieved here is beyond compare even if it is beyond understanding. Wilbur to think it out, Alfred to expand on it: pure genius. I could die happy now."

"No, Elise, we will live very happily. Not forever after but certainly for some time to come. Let's jump in the pond for a quick refresh and then go down to the beach, find the bikes and go exploring."

Elise took a long time to convince that it was alright to strip down to the buff, she kept looking around as if she suspected all kinds of perverts hiding in the shrubbery. However, once she had overcome her shyness she revelled in the softness of the water, the pleasant tingles it gave her and was much surprised to see the water flowing off her body completely. She mentioned that Alfred was entitled to giving me short shrift so often, it being well nigh impossible for him to understand that anybody could fail to immediately see the largesse of his project.

"Yes, well, we sorted that out. I admitted to being dumb, he allowed that he was maybe not the best of teachers. It was Wilbur, though, who brought it all together. He is a superlative teacher, able to explain in plain language what it is all about. Leaving out the complex details when only a large view of things was required."

While saying this I had filled two bottles each of nos. 2 and 3 water.

"Elise, this is the first, perhaps the only real and hard rule on this island: we do not go away from here without healing to hand. Alfred will tell you what happened to him, I couldn't. But we do know now that we will be able to fix most everything, short of sudden death. You carry yours, I carry mine."

I had thought to include two carrier belts in our luggage. We strapped them on, stuck in the plastic bottles and went down towards the beach. Of course I also packed a bottle of wine, screw cap, and some dried sausage for sustenance. Ready for action we were.

Ever so often during the stroll down, Elise would stop and just look about her as the island unfolded, marvelling at the flowering shrubs, listening to the birds and insects, to small animals scurrying away, appreciating the warm sun, so welcome after the ghastly weather we 'enjoyed'.

She found Albert's idea of a gym hilarious.

"How can he always come up with such ingenious ideas, Berthold? It would have been much easier for him to move a few pieces of equipment, wouldn't it?"

"Of course he could have done that. But he mentioned to me that he had always had this dream of living in an unspoiled part of nature. When I decided to 'create' the island he saw his chance of making that dream come true. Of course he had to compromise here and there. He got rid of the solar panels but had to install a generator to drive the kitchen and lighting stuff. Then there are the bikes, the kayaks and the fishing rods. But we will never have anything powered by combustion engines, no radio or television, we leave our watches behind. We don't need glasses any longer, you will get rid of yours too, and the only extravagances we allow, sometimes even excessively so, are food and drink. But this is an agreeable deviation, do you not agree?"

While talking we moved through the gym, pushing a little here, testing there. And then Elise was positioned just right. I let go of the low branch that I had politely held back for her and swatted her behind. A yelp and looks like daggers.

"I keep forgetting that you are enjoying your second youth, Berthold. Don't pull pranks too often, I will certainly retaliate at the slightest chance." Her face lit up. "I am sure Alfred and Wilbur will side with me."

We took to the bikes for a spin around the island. I had to show her Wilbur's pond, we greeted the ostriches while the kangaroos stuck to a sceptic distance, the tortoises couldn't care less about us as always. The antelopes played 'Catch me, if you can' in the background. A perfect little world and Elise said as much.

"You, or Alfred rather, have thought of practically everything. The climate is most enjoyable, plants and animals seem to thrive. I have been made welcome. Yet, why do I not feel as complete as I should?"

I understood immediately what she felt. When I had been here on my own with only the virtual Alfred for company, I had experienced the same 'too much for one person' sensation. The solution was obvious but I dared not mention it.

"Berthold, we have only been here for a few hours. Please don't take this wrong," Elise stammered, groping for words. "But I would like to meet your friends. Now. Have them meet me before you do any changes to me. I am sorry, but I do feel overwhelmed. Something to do with safety in numbers, I guess. Can we do it? You are not upset?"

"No, Elise, I am not upset. To be honest, I had the same urge to share. We will have lots of time to be together here in the future. Let's go back up after I get us a few big prawns. Maybe you can make up something nice. Prepare a cold buffet, lots of everything, drinks we have aplenty already."

After putting the bikes back in the shed we set out for the beach. I knew exactly where to go hunting for the prawns and I swear they had grown to royal dimensions in the meantime. I crammed the whole bucket full of the monsters, grabbed some of Alfred's favourite seaweed and away we were.

Elise was enamoured with the beautiful kitchen in the main cave, the lounge as she called it, and was soon humming and cooking and generally felt at home, despite the quite American layout and gadgetry. I put a drink in her hand and told her, after kissing her soundly, that she was doing great indeed.

"Alfred, Wilbur? Are you fellows listening?"

"Yes, Bert, we are. Is everything alright? Surely there can't be any problems?"

"No, no problems whatsoever, apart from the fact that the place is too big for us. Elise and I would like you and your mates to join us. She wants to meet you before she is made over, as she phrased it, and is now busy preparing for a feast, if not an orgy of gluttony. Will you come?"

"Why, Bert, we will certainly come if you wish. Although I had thought you would want more time for yourselves first."

"Don't let him pull the wool over your eyes, Bert. Alfred has been a bloody nuisance all day, forever calling me up, wondering how you fared and whether everything was as Elise had hoped for."

"Listen you two. Come right now, you will be just in time for pre-prandial drinks. I will lay the table for six. Berthold signing off now. I have to do all the menial tasks here."

They must have agreed to meet on the beach. We first heard their voices, then saw them make their way towards our hill. Four of them, thank God. Even though the sun had just begun to touch the horizon I lit a few large candles on the table. They should be able to see their glow from down there.

"Come on, Elise, let us go and meet them. The food can wait a little while."

She washed her hands at the sink, looked for a mirror, found none of course and gave me one half-despairing, half-hopeful look.

"How do I look? Am I presentable at all?"

She looked fine to me, flushed as she was from her work. She would do and I told her so. I took her hand and we walked down towards our guests, gathering speed as we went. We met halfway, hesitant over the last few metres separating us, then, suddenly, rushing together into a windmill of bodies.

We all had tears to fight, throats to clear, all our pent-up emotions breaking out after waiting for this very moment for so long.

I grasped the hand of the tall, Hispanic-looking woman and with the other hand reached out towards Lexa, a lovely blonde, not much taller than Alfred.

"Sabreena, Lexa, no guessing who I am, but I would like you to meet Elise. Alfred, Wilbur, so good to see you again. Let us all go up quickly, my throat is so parched all of a sudden."

We shared one more hug, the women talking softly amongst them already and soon came out on top. Great exclamations from our female visitors and some 'Ohs' and 'Ahs' and 'What do you know' from Alfred and Wilbur as well. To celebrate just this occasion I had made up various parcels of our family silver, some heavy candle sticks, crystal glasses, a tablecloth or two with serviettes thrown in to boot. Our boys-only feasts had been great if a bit rustic and for this day our best would just barely do. The drinks were ready: a heady concoction of Vana Tallinn liqueur, spritzed up with very dry champagne and a slice of orange thrown in.

"Wilbur, you claimed once to hate 'mushy' but I do not know of a better way to say it: here's to friends, and to science and the joy the two can bring."

"Too much talk," Wilbur mumbled. "Way too much talk, but since this is special indeed I am generous enough to forgive you once more."

And raised his glass, took a long sip, smiled hugely, smacked his lips and stated categorically.

"Bert, as long as you serve drinks like this you may talk as much as you want. Heavenly, no other word for it. More please, I got to have more."

"See, Elise, I didn't promise you too much, did I now? Wilbur larger than life."

Elise acknowledged my words with a smile and a happy nod towards Wilbur but turned to Alfred. Softly she held his face, softly she kissed him on the mouth and softly she said: "Thank you, Alfred. Thank you for everything but most of all for being here now and with Lexa, too."

The lot of us felt moved beyond all reason and even Wilbur was quiet for once. Elise broke our reverie, however.

"Oh, the food. I forgot about the food."

Sabreena and Lexa, leaving us to our own devices, joined her rush into the kitchen. With a nod towards us Wilbur collected the drinks and we followed him up towards the top.

We sat down on our perch, Alfred bringing out his pre-mades. A few puffs all round, some measured sips and we were ready.

"Way to go, Alfred. Lexa is made for you, this much is obvious. You must have spent quite some time here together. She is so familiar with everything."

Alfred was fidgeting a bit.

"I was upset about Wilbur's messing with my affairs, but you were right. Lexa will tell her own story eventually, so I will just say now that she has been orphaned since before her teens, lately working in that dreary store to put herself through university. Law she studies, nearly finished too. Smart girl. Yes, we have been here before. For a long time. She needed it.

"She was very sceptic about everything Wilbur had told her and had her own reasons for not wanting to get involved. She is very shy as well and till this moment I do not know how I managed to convince her to trust me. Obviously it worked. But the Lexa here is not the Lexa she was. No, I did no healing on her as yet, she did not even use the second pool. Like Elise, I suspect she wanted to meet you people unchanged. Good thing too, I agree. The experience of all this is what changed her. She maintains that the world cannot be all bad, if it is possible to create something as beautiful as our island.

"And you know, Bert, that she got very upset, even cross with me over the way I treated you? I had to tell her everything of course and she rejected my excuses, that you were very abusive in return, out of hand and claimed that I used excessive force. I should be ashamed and make up to you."

We shared a good laugh over that but I had more questions.

"Wilbur, you and Sabreena, getting to know her will be a pleasure, are very relaxed and playful. Has Alfred found a place for you? Have you settled down? Are your problems over?"

Wilbur chuckled softly and moistened his gullet some before he spoke.

"Whereas I was 'meddling' in Alfred's life, he fixed mine. He did find the perfect place for us, a derelict mill house way out in the boonies, complete with waterwheel and pond, and no neighbours within 10 miles. A gem of a place, and I am now doing masonry, carpentry and lots of other rough crafts to restore the building. The wheel is coupled to some heavy stuff, well hidden of course. We even buy in minimal electricity to keep up appearances. And sell about four times that amount back to them. Sabreena is fine too. There wasn't much to heal in her case and it went relatively smooth. I won't tell you my new name. The handle dear Alfred stuck me with is too ridiculous. Funny to him, to be sure. Yes, all is very well with us, thanks to that same Alfred, and he should be the one to tell you the rest of it."

"Things did not go all that smoothly on my side, Bert. I was right, that Kevin-bloke did act malevolently. But he was just a tool of the bad guys on our side. The manager was in on it as well, that came as a surprise. He had you fooled there and it is just as well we checked everything. The latest I heard they now do regret their actions. As they should. I got them both a transfer to the eastern-most computer store in Germany, a desolate spot, almost in Poland. Take it or be fired.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.