Wendy - Cover

Wendy

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 9

Bill and Theresa spent the rest of Monday and Tuesday happily and lovingly in each other's company. Bill rang his father on Monday evening to say he would not be in to work on Tuesday and that he would tell him all about things when he got back. He and Theresa were much too preoccupied in each other to discuss wedding dates, where they would live or any other such mundane things. Instead, their conversation roamed over all sorts of subjects as they got to know each other better and better and, in doing so, to fall deeper and deeper in love. They did however go into Pitsbury on Tuesday for Theresa to choose her engagement ring.

When he got home on Wednesday morning there was a message on his telephone answering machine. He switched it on.

"Bill," said Wendy in a furtive whisper, "I need your..."

There was a muffled squeak and then a clatter as she dropped the telephone followed by a clatter as the receiver was roughly replaced. Bill immediately rang 1471 but was informed that the number of the incoming call was ex-directory.

He was desperately worried. It sounded as though Wendy was in deep trouble if not in danger. He cursed that he did not know Stephen Walker's land line number. He tried Wendy's mobile phone but was answered by its voicemail service. He left a message as unconcernedly as he could asking her to ring him on his mobile.

Next he rang his secretary and told her he had an emergency and did not know when he would be in. After that he rang Chief Inspector Ian Davidson. They had met professionally on a number of cases and a friendship had developed. Of course he had to go through reception but in the end Ian answered him.

"Hello, Bill," he said. "How good to hear you! I have a feeling with you ringing at this time of day it's business and not pleasure though. What can I do for you?"

"I'm afraid so, Bill. I've had a couple of university students staying. One of them, Wendy Richards, left about a month or so ago to go and live with her boyfriend, a chap called Stephen Walker. I don't know where he lives. She promised to keep in touch with me and the other girl, Sally, but after the first week we heard nothing. Her mother received a call from her shortly before Easter to say that she wouldn't be coming home for Easter as Stephen wanted her to meet his parents. She would not be able to get over after that during the Easter vac because they were both working much too hard on their second year project. When I got home from the weekend this morning there was a message on my answering machine. It was Wendy and she was clearly frightened. She managed to say 'Bill, I need your' before the phone was snatched away and roughly replaced in its cradle. Ian, I have a feeling that this Walker chap is holding her against her will and that she may be in danger."

"OK, Bill, I'll put somebody onto it right away. Which department of the university are they studying in?"

"Aeronautical engineering."

"OK. I'll keep in touch. I've got your mobile number so keep your phone with you."

"Will do. Thanks, Ian."

He put the phone down. He wondered about ringing Theresa but decided against it. He did not want to worry her unduly and hoped that Ian would have some news for him before he rang her that evening as he had promised. He dragged himself to the office.

Ian Davidson wasted no time. He summoned DC Andy Hughes and WDC Trish Goodwin.

"I've got an urgent job for you two." He repeated what Bill had told him. "I want you to find out where Walker lives from the university. Then you are to go there in an unmarked car and plain clothes, pretending to be students until he opens the door, and say you want to see Wendy. If he prevaricates turn on the official stuff and demand entry. Look for any evidence of mistreatment. Got it?"

"Yes, sir," they both replied.

"Right, get weaving. I don't want this girl suffering any more damage if that is what is happening."

The university staff were not prepared to release any information over the telephone but said they would have it ready by the time Andy and Trish arrived in person with proof of identity. Within ten minutes both were on their way.

"Not often we're given orders directly by the chief," said Trish in the car.

"Well he did say it was urgent."

"I'm still surprised Sarge wasn't called in as well."

"That's true. Oh well, 'their's not to reason why'."

"I do hope he hasn't hurt her, Andy. Remember the Donovan girl?"

"Don't I?" It had been a particularly vicious rape case.

"If he has you may have to restrain me."

"Snap!" replied Andy grimly.

Half an hour later they were parked a short distance from Stephen Walker's house. It was a three storey terraced Edwardian building.

"Hmm," said Trish thoughtfully. "This boy's got money if he's living there alone. No paper thin adjoining walls either."

They strolled across to the door. There was only one bell. Trish rang it. There was an appreciable delay and they were about to return to the car to await Stephen Walker's return from wherever he had been when the door was opened.

"Hello," said Trish brightly. "We've come to see Wendy."

"She's out."

"Oh, well we'll come in and wait for her. We're not in any rush, are we Andy?"

"She's gone to visit her mother and won't be back until tomorrow or the day after."

"What a shame," said Andy moving forward and showing his warrant card. "We have reason to believe that Miss Richards may be being held here against her will and therefore we are coming in now."

"I tell you. She's not here."

"Very good, sir. We'll just check all the same."

Stephen Walker attempted to slam the door in his face. That was a mistake. Both officers hurled themselves at it knocking him to the ground. Andy was on him like a flash and had the handcuffs on him.

"Stephen Walker I am arresting you for obstructing a police officer in the execution of his duty. You need not say anything but if you do it may be used in evidence. Get up!"

Trish in the meanwhile had made a beeline for the stairs. She burst into the first room: nothing. Same again for the second room. The third was a bathroom. She sprinted up the second flight of stairs and stopped dead in the doorway of the first room. There, lying on her face, naked, her wrists and ankles tied to the bed legs and a gag in her mouth was a girl. Her buttocks and thighs were criss-crossed with deep welts. There were also a few on her lower back. Some were old. Others were fresh and many of them were bleeding. Trish felt the bile rising in her throat. She swallowed it desperately.

"Andy!" she called. Top floor! Quick!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.