Wendy - Cover

Wendy

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 2

When Bill returned to the kitchen there were enticing smells of bacon and freshly made coffee.

"Ah, there you are. I can do the eggs now," said Wendy happily. "Which do you want scrambled or fried?"

"Fried, please. Did you find the orange juice?"

"I didn't look actually."

"Like some?"

"Yes, please."

Bill poured two glasses and gave her one. Neither said anything as the eggs cooked. Indeed, nothing was said as they enjoyed their breakfast.

As they turned to their coffee, Bill said, "Now, back to our previous conversation. While I was shaving I did some thinking and I'd like to make you an offer but first, am I right that you hate this agency job?"

"Yes," she said quietly but decisively.

"In that case, how would you like free accommodation here?"

She smiled wanly. "No, Bill, thank you all the same. At least with the agency job I'm my own person except when I'm with a client."

"You would be here. I'm not asking you to be my mistress. You would have your own room, be free to come and go as you please and entertain whoever you want as long as they don't infringe on my privacy. Without having to pay rent or buy food you wouldn't have to work. Added to which, from my point of view, it would be rather fun to have someone about the place rather than rattling around on my own."

She stared at him in amazement. "Why ... why on earth would you do that for me? You hardly know me."

He nodded. "I woke up with you in my arms last night and got a terrible feeling of guilt. You were doing a job you hated and I was taking advantage of you. I should have let you go after your crying jag but was too jolly selfish."

"No, Bill." She put a gentle hand on his forearm. "You offered to let me go and I turned that offer down. What's more, I enjoyed making love with you so drop the guilt complex."

He covered her hand with his. "So will you accept my offer?" adding with a roguish grin, "If I leave my bedroom door open?"

She smiled back. "I'd love to, Bill, but I still can't. It would leave my room mate to cover both rents. People have found their accommodation for this year and she'd have difficulty getting someone to replace me."

"She can come too."

"But you might not like her."

"If you two get on I don't see why I shouldn't but I can see she might not necessarily like me."

"We're not alike. She's very quiet and shy."

"All right. Have a chat with her and bring her round for supper tonight and then you can work it out between you after that."

"We can't do that. I told you. I'm working tonight."

"And I told you to ring in sick. They won't sack you. You're much too attractive and, as I said, I'll make up the money you'll lose. Come on, Wendy, take the plunge or at least get on the diving board."

She stared at him her mind whirling. She found it difficult to believe that he did not have an ulterior motive but as she looked into his eyes she could see no guile. Suddenly she smiled and Bill was staggered at the transformation. She was a lovely girl but when the worry and unhappiness lifted she was stunningly beautiful.

"Please may I see my prospective room?"

"Of course you may and make a choice from the three available."

He led her upstairs. The first room he showed her was a double room with a window that overlooked the garden. It had its own washbasin. The second was a spacious single room also overlooking the garden. It was next to Bill's. The third was a small single room at the front of the house and overlooked the road.

Wendy said nothing during the tour then walked from each of the back rooms to the door of Bill's room. Between it and the further room from Bill's a floorboard creaked. Wendy giggled.

"I'll have that room," she said pointing at the one next to his.

Bill smiled delightedly. "Good thinking," he said. He was tempted to kiss her but refrained conscious of the conditions of the offer. She had to make the first move.

They went back downstairs and Wendy started to clear away the breakfast things.

"You don't have to do that," exclaimed Bill.

"I want to. You can help if you like."

Bill did so and they nattered away happily.

"Where does you mother live?" he asked.

"In a little village about seven miles from Pitsbury."

"Up on The Chase?"

"No. It's on the edge of The Plain in the Drill Valley. Do you know the area?"

"Reasonably well, although I haven't been there for a number of years. The Drill Valley's pretty upmarket as I remember."

"Yes, it is but Mum's loath to move. She loves the house and all her friends live nearby."

"Doesn't it carry too many memories?"

"You might have thought so but I think they're all happy memories and are best kept alive by staying there."

"Good for her."

"What do you do for a living?"

"Solicitor."

"Big firm?"

"No. It's a family business: my father, younger brother and me."

"That sounds rather fun."

"It is. We all get on very well and even see each other at weekends. My mother likes to have her boys about her."

"Is your brother married?"

"Very. Three children in three years but I think they may have stopped now."

"Have you got any children?"

"No, thank goodness. Don't get me wrong. I love children but I'd have hated for mine to have had divorced parents."

"Mm. It's no fun when they die young either. Dad was only forty-seven."

"That's awful. Heart attack?"

"No. It was an accident at work. An overhead gantry dropped its load on top of him."

"How awful! What was he?"

"A pretty senior aeronautical engineer."

"Do you think your mother will marry again?"

"I've no idea. It's the last thing on her mind at the moment."

"I'm sure."

Wendy looked round her. Everything was tidy. "I'd better be on my way," she said.

"I suppose so."

"I've got your phone number so I'll give you a ring as soon as I've talked to Sally."

"Fine. I'll be in all day. And don't forget to ring in sick."

She smiled up at him. "I won't. And, Bill," she reached up and pulled his head down, "Last night was definitely pleasure before business. Thank you." She kissed his lips softly.

Bill gave her a gentle squeeze. "I enjoyed it too," he said. "Very much." He reluctantly released her.

Once she had left Bill was at a loss to know what to do with himself. However, it occurred to him that he ought to go and make his bed which he did but that, including changing the sheets and putting the soiled ones in the washing machine, only took half an hour. He thought about preparations for supper but quickly realised that he could hardly do that until he knew that they were going to come. He thought about mowing the lawn but dismissed that because he would not hear the telephone and Wendy only had his land line number. He sat down at the piano but was unable to concentrate and infuriated himself at the way he played. He looked at the clock: quarter to twelve. It was still much too early for lunch and he was not hungry anyway. Finally, he decided to walk down to the newsagent and get a paper. He was quite sure Wendy would not be ringing yet and it would only take him ten minutes at the outside.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.