Watched - Cover

Watched

Copyright© 2009 by Holdred

Chapter 15

Sarah woke up first, feeling renewed. She started the fire, as she had been taught. She made tea and warmed the last night's leftovers, for breakfast. She was humming to herself as she waited for the others. She took things off the direct heat, and set them at the side of the fire, so they wouldn't burn. Then she walked around the clearing.

When Twin Bird got up Sarah grabbed her and said, "You have got to come with me."

Twin Bird went into the woods for a minute, and then came back to see what Sarah was so excited about. Sarah made sure she knew to be quiet then took her around the clearing. First, she showed her a rabbit's den she found and where the rabbit had been eating. Then she showed her a bunch of deer footprints. Being very still, she pointed out a nesting prairie chicken. They returned back to camp. Twin Bird was overjoyed. The old Sarah would never have gone looking around. She had to have something to do, all the time.

After breakfast Twin Bird announced, "Sarah has connected to the spirit of the mountains. This trip is a success, even though we have just started."

The day went well. As all people were looking. They spotted some grouse. A pair of red foxes were chasing them. Little Doe spotted a badger den. Sarah looked in, and could just barely see a pair of beady black eyes looking out at her.

Just after midday, they came to a good stream. Twin Bird had everyone lay down near the bank. They were to close their eyes, and listen to the water. She saw the tension leave John's face, as he listened. Soon, he was asleep.

When John woke he said, "Thank you, Twin Bird. I had forgotten how relaxing just being quiet in nature is. I still am not sold on any spirit, but taking time to relax is important."

That evening around the fire, Little Doe was chosen to speak.

"My story is not as long, or as full of problems as Sarah's was.

"When I was born the tribe was much bigger. My grandfather was the chief. I have always been plain, or worse. When the children would play games, it was always don't let 'ugly' touch you or let's pick on 'ugly'. I had my arm broken at one time, and several times I was beaten and scratched. It wasn't long before I learned to defend myself from them, even the bigger ones. They ended up with just as many, or more scratches than I had. When I was big enough to play with my sister, I had it made. Here was a friend that would like me.

"When I was seven, my mother was going to give our family another child. She died during birth. I was in the tepee with her. The last thing she did before she died, was grab my hand.

"She looked into my eyes and said, 'Watch out for Twin Bird. She is special.'

"You know how Twin Bird is, but that is her story, not mine.

"I now had two of us to defend. The other children seemed to get worse after our mother died. Our father was a great hunter and my brother was four years younger than I was. My grandmother did most of the cooking for my family. I decided right then that I was the head woman of our family. I went gathering with the others starting at seven. I would listen to any of the women when they were teaching their daughters skills. I would persuade grandmother to teach us anything she could. Twin Bird was my shadow. She was learning right there beside me.

"By the time I was ten, I could gather well. Twin Bird was better at finding good herbs. We could both cook. Butchering and skinning were hard, but we were getting there.

"One day the head shaman, who was very old, pulled us aside. He asked us into his tent. This was very unusual. He usually only gave spirit advise to the men of the tribe.

"He said, 'One day your husband will be a very important man ... not only to our tribe, or our people, but to all the peoples between then mountains and the big river to the east. You must learn all our people's skills, the best you can. You must love each other, and your family. Above all, you must be willing to learn all you can from anyone you know or meet.'

"He went silent then shook his head as if he was waking up from a long sleep. He apologized for taking our time for nothing. He didn't realize he had given us a prophecy.

"The other girls continued to give us a hard time, but from that point on, I tried to learn all I could. It was hard because I always had to watch Twin Bird, also. I looked forward to the time when my father would find me a husband.

"When I turned thirteen, I started working on the household goods we would need to start a new family. I expected my father to come up with someone that wanted to marry me. I didn't know where he would come from, but I knew he was out there somewhere. I knew most of the braves of my tribe and I knew none of them would be my husband. When Twin Bird turned thirteen, I had renewed hope for a husband for both of us.

"Here we were. Most of the older women in the tribe recognized we had some of the best skills in the tribe, even at our young ages. I could skin hides fast, treat them and make whatever was needed. Horns became easy to treat and shape as well. The clothes I made fit well the first time, with little need for changes. My beadwork was of fine quality, and my father traded it for many things our family needed. I could cook well, even when then weather was bad. I was starting to get bitter and angry.

"When I turned sixteen, I was sure the prophecy was mistaken. For us, anyone sixteen and older, is too old to marry. My resentment grew. There I was. I was sixteen. I was plain looking, and I had a little sister that was 'a little different'. She was almost shunned by our people. I gave up hoping for a husband. That same winter, my grandfather died. My father and his brother were seen as the right ones to lead the tribe, but there was dissension as to which one should lead. In the end, the tribe split. Around one forth of the people went with my father, and the rest went with my uncle.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.